News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-80 in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 14, 2022, 11:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Put something together for the history of the corridor of I-80 in the Sierra Nevada Mountains:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/01/interstate-80-in-sierra-nevada-mountains.html

SSR_317

Many thanks for this excellent work!

In July 1967, while traveling with my parents across the country, I didn't realize just how new much of I-80 across the Sierra was. As an 11 year-old passenger it seemed like we crossed the Truckee River at least 50 times in the canyon section. I later realized that most of those signs at the bridges must have been for tributaries of that adjacent river, as I now know the freeway only crosses the actual river only 5 times in California. Also memorable was coming around the curve at the state line and seeing everything in the surrounding scenery suddenly turn GREEN, after having spent most of the day traversing the BROWN of northern Nevada. Again, I thought that memory was clouded by my youth, but the rain shadow of the Sierra is real, and just so happens to coincide with the state line at that point!

In more recent times, I've visited Reno several times to visit friends, and do some skiing at Tahoe. On one such trip, I had to cut a day of skiing at Northstar short due to an imminent snowstorm. I almost stayed too long, as on the way back through Truckee Canyon, the snow really started to get intense! On a subsequent summer trip, I took I-80 over Euer Saddle (sorry CalTrans) to retrace that 1967 trek and drove as far west as Cisco Grove before heading back to Reno. Haven't yet done Old US 40 over the Pass & the Donner Summit Bridge... hope I make it back out there to do that some day.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSR_317 on February 05, 2022, 11:14:03 PM
Many thanks for this excellent work!

In July 1967, while traveling with my parents across the country, I didn't realize just how new much of I-80 across the Sierra was. As an 11 year-old passenger it seemed like we crossed the Truckee River at least 50 times in the canyon section. I later realized that most of those signs at the bridges must have been for tributaries of that adjacent river, as I now know the freeway only crosses the actual river only 5 times in California. Also memorable was coming around the curve at the state line and seeing everything in the surrounding scenery suddenly turn GREEN, after having spent most of the day traversing the BROWN of northern Nevada. Again, I thought that memory was clouded by my youth, but the rain shadow of the Sierra is real, and just so happens to coincide with the state line at that point!

In more recent times, I've visited Reno several times to visit friends, and do some skiing at Tahoe. On one such trip, I had to cut a day of skiing at Northstar short due to an imminent snowstorm. I almost stayed too long, as on the way back through Truckee Canyon, the snow really started to get intense! On a subsequent summer trip, I took I-80 over Euer Saddle (sorry CalTrans) to retrace that 1967 trek and drove as far west as Cisco Grove before heading back to Reno. Haven't yet done Old US 40 over the Pass & the Donner Summit Bridge... hope I make it back out there to do that some day.

If you make it out to Donner Pass Road, do yourself a favor and hike up to the Central Pacific Railroad Tunnels:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/10/donner-pass-hunting-dutch-flat-donner.html?m=1

nexus73

What are the chances of I-80 being 6-laned all the way to Reno?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on February 06, 2022, 12:39:08 PM

Rick

Never have heard it ever brought up.

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 06, 2022, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on February 06, 2022, 12:39:08 PM
Never have heard it ever brought up.

Highly unlikely, and I've also never heard this even suggested. Given the relative lack of need and the mountainous terrain, that would be quite the job. There's probably a few areas that could stand to have a climbing lane, but other than that, it's plenty sufficient.

Heck, there's a little bit of I-80 within Reno proper that isn't even three travel lanes...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.