News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does your state spell the abbreviation word fully on highway signs?

Started by tolbs17, February 15, 2022, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does it?

Yes
3 (25%)
No
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 23, 2022, 11:55:06 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 21, 2022, 10:11:38 PM
To piggyback off my previous post, what bugs me about omitting the "Rd," etc. suffix is that one unfamiliar with the area is confused whether the control refers to a city or a road.  Here's an example near King of Prussia, PA where both uses are on the same sign:  Pottstown is a city while Audubon and Trooper are road names.  This is inexcusably poor sign design, especially since there is plenty of room on the sign to include the road suffixes.

This isn't a case of that, though. Audubon and Trooper are the control "cities." It just so happens that the interchange is with Trooper Rd, with Audubon Rd intersecting Trooper Rd immediately to the north. The road names are only used to indicate which lane to use for each road on the northbound off-ramp.

In Wichita, KS, most of the street signs have no suffixes, and at one point that was true of freeway signs as well. (Example here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6275456,-97.3203193,3a,75y,62.64h,85.57t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1snKxBI4lM4ydM3CMzU1x5Tw!2e0!5s20120901T000000!7i13312!8i6656)

The linked Street View is from 2012; the signs have since been replaced by newer ones with the suffixes on them.

Scott5114

Quote from: mrsman on February 23, 2022, 09:32:58 PM
It is interesting.  New signage for street blades is required to be upper and lower case letters, pursuant to the 2009 MUTCD.  But the MUTCD does not seem to require a suffix on street blades.  (In my view it would be more important to label a street as an avenue or boulevard than using mixed lettering, but what do I know?)

Mixed case has been proven in studies to be more legible than all-caps.

Meanwhile, if the street name is unique within a city (i.e. the suffix does not serve to disambiguate between two streets with the same name), it is extraneous for the purposes of navigation.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

michravera

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 21, 2022, 10:11:38 PM
To piggyback off my previous post, what bugs me about omitting the "Rd," etc. suffix is that one unfamiliar with the area is confused whether the control refers to a city or a road.  Here's an example near King of Prussia, PA where both uses are on the same sign:  Pottstown is a city while Audubon and Trooper are road names.  This is inexcusably poor sign design, especially since there is plenty of room on the sign to include the road suffixes.

In California, this would be both confusing and misleading and occasionally correct, quite by accident. It is very common for streets to be named "NextTown Rd." and "NextCity Blvd" and that either go, or once did go to NextTown or NextCity. However, many suburbs have a street called "ThisBurb Ave" or even "ThisTown Blvd".

Lukeisroads

California does have that on half the exits take 99 and ming avenue white lane and panama lane for example they dont show Abbreviation they use the whole road completely airport drive olive drive they dont use em

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.