News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Hiway map 2021-22

Started by PickupMan, May 25, 2022, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickupMan

The new Illinois highway map for 2021-22 is out (late again) and online. Once again it's disappointing in appearance. I'd sure like to know how much more, or less, this map cost versus the maps of yore. Also makes me question the braintrust behind it's production.

ilpt4u

My #1 criticism: IL 390 is "green"  not "yellow"  as in is coded as a Freeway, not a Tollway. That is a bit misleading...

Crash_It

Quote from: PickupMan on May 25, 2022, 01:26:17 PM
The new Illinois highway map for 2021-22 is out (late again) and online. Once again it's disappointing in appearance. I'd sure like to know how much more, or less, this map cost versus the maps of yore. Also makes me question the braintrust behind it's production.

Doesn't look bad to me, pretty accurate except for that one oversight.

GaryV

It must have been delayed while they were looking for a picture of a hill to put on the cover.
:poke:

Henry

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 26, 2022, 12:48:25 AM
My #1 criticism: IL 390 is "green"  not "yellow"  as in is coded as a Freeway, not a Tollway. That is a bit misleading...
They're probably doing the opposite of Rand McNally's practice of marking roads as open/converted several months in advance. IL 390 will eventually connect to I-490, which is currently constructed as an actual Tollway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dvferyance

Last Sunday I stopped at the rest area on i-80 jsut over the Mississippi River and I was so disappointed they still had the 2019 edition. The only part of the map I have seen is the cover I do like the capitol building on the front.

JoePCool14

If the hiway map is out, when will the byeway one be released?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

midwesternroadguy

What revisions for 2022 does map show?

Rick Powell

The online version shows IL 390 as Yellow (toll) in the Chicago & vicinity inset.
https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Travel-Information/Maps-&-Charts/2022%20state%20map.pdf

I did see a few errors in my part of the world. IL 47 shows ending its status as a 4-lane divided highway at the Kendall/Grundy county line but it actually extends several miles to the north at Caton Farm Road. Also, US 34 and IL 71 status as a 4 lane is not updated in the Yorkville-Oswego area.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 27, 2022, 10:44:23 AM
The online version shows IL 390 as Yellow (toll) in the Chicago & vicinity inset.
https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Travel-Information/Maps-&-Charts/2022%20state%20map.pdf
Yes, on the Chicagoland map it is Yellow for a Tollway. On the Statewide map, it is Green for a "Free" way.

But also on the Chicagoland map, it lists IL 390 (still) as the Elgin-O'Hare Expy. Maybe that is still the road name officially somewhere? I know I've seen Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, but that may just be here in the forums when we discuss it

skluth

There's some really bad GIS work on the map. The freeway interchanges on the Bloomington/Normal inset are particularly bad. The two freeways at the I-55/74/Veterans Parkway interchange don't come together at a point; every GIS student knows how to snap to a point or line. I-74 doesn't meet I-55 at the other interchange point. I-39 has an interchange yet weirdly loops south of it; I know that's how the northbound I-39 ramp works but it's not standard cartographic practice. I have no idea why so many of the non-freeway divided highways look like crap; IL 110/336 north of Quincy to Monmouth looks like a bunch of little segments the cartographer was too lazy to clean up. The text for Monmouth also overprints the symbol. Text along rivers should be smoother and not follow individual line segments of a drain; check out the North Fork Vermilion River east of Pontiac for a particularly ugly example. I have no idea why some <1000 population city/village points have a white buffer around them and others don't. They should also have reduced the clutter around Chicago because the map there is essentially useless; the whole point of having an inset map of Chicago is so all that detail can be shown at a larger scale.

I could accept this workmanship if the map was a one-off product for something. But this is the official state map. It should look far more professional especially since they're just updating the map every couple years. I'm guessing very little effort is being done for the map, just change what's needed and use all the default lettering and symbology without any cleanup.

SectorZ

I'll wait for the topographic one.

edwaleni

The IL-110 (CKC) seems to go between Hannibal and Macomb and nowhere else. They have "CKC" logos north and east of Macomb but the number ends there.

edwaleni

It shows DREI as the operator of the CSX Illinois sub west of Salem. DREI took over CSX lines east of Decatur, but the CSX line between Salem and O'Fallon are out of service. (unless someone knows something no one else does.)

skluth

Quote from: edwaleni on May 29, 2022, 10:18:07 PM
The IL-110 (CKC) seems to go between Hannibal and Macomb and nowhere else. They have "CKC" logos north and east of Macomb but the number ends there.
It does appear on the other side in the Chicago inset and Chicago Expressway system maps. It's also on the Quad Cities and Galesburg insets. No idea why it goes no further on the state map. 

hobsini2

4 things I noticed. First, on the state side, they put a "RA" symbol at US 30 & US 34. Menards and JC Penney's are now Rest Areas? Second, they downgraded the IL 56 Expy but eliminated the 2 interchanges (Galena & IL 47) that still exist. They also did the same treatment to US 20 Elgin Bypass.
That's misleading and lazy. They didn't downgrade Route 53's Freeway portion but did eliminate the exits. Good luck suckers!

At least they are consistent. They did it to Route 83 and Palatine/Willow Rd and Lake Shore Dr.

Just lazy. Interchange locations are highly important for the general motoring public.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

skluth

The more I look at this map, the worse it gets. Speaking of lazy, US 40 overprints much of I-70 west of Vandalia to Pocahontas. I-74 gets overprinted on the north side of Champaign and a couple other occasions as it goes NW. I-72 mysteriously disappears just west of mile marker 133 near Decatur.

Unrelated, but I find it very strange that all the state prisons are mapped.

ilpt4u

Quote from: edwaleni on May 29, 2022, 10:18:07 PM
My criticism here is more related to IL 336. Since the Macomb-Peoria segment is all but dead, 336 should be decommissioned. The map here shows what we all already know: 110 and 336 are 100% concurrent. And if the segment to Peoria is never to be built, only 110 actually has a routing beyond Macomb-Peoria, so yeah, decommission 336. Of course, I wouldn't lose any sleep if 110 were to be decommissioned, either

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on May 30, 2022, 12:22:15 PM
Speaking of lazy, US 40 overprints much of I-70 west of Vandalia to Pocahontas.

Oh, good grief.  That's pretty bad.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bobonabike

When did Castle Rock State Park and Lowden-Miller State Forest swap sides of the Rock River?

paulthemapguy

The alphanumeric county highway designations in counties like Grundy, St. Clair, and Peoria have the letters and numbers mismatched.  The letter should come first, then the number.  McHenry and Boone counties use the alphanumeric designations as well, but for some reason, some alternate number-only numbering system appears on the state-issued maps.  I don't know where the hell they got these numbers, but they aren't the designations used by the public or internally in either county.

The positions for the "RA" symbols for Interstate rest areas are clearly automatically generated by a computer program using a universal offset from the roadway.  They overlap other things on the map and should be adjusted manually to more suitable positions.

These were failures on the 2019-2020 map as well.  It's great to see these blunders weren't corrected.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Highway63

In Iowa, the map shows the US 52 Southwest Arterial, eliminates IA 32, and truncates IA 3. Good on that, at least.

Interchanges on expressways are marked in Iowa but not in Missouri.

Brandon

At least the mileages between places are back.  That was missing from the 2019-2020 map.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GeekJedi

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 30, 2022, 11:48:28 AM
Just lazy. Interchange locations are highly important for the general motoring public.

I'm not excusing them, but most of the general motoring public no longer uses state-provided paper maps. It's GPS, Google Maps, or something similar. Nowadays those maps are more used for reference than travel.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Highway63

"President Rondald Reagan Boyhood Home" just south of Dixon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.