News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-73 updates?

Started by Buummu, April 27, 2011, 12:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 22, 2022, 01:38:47 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 22, 2022, 03:22:25 AM
This is approaching fictional, but...

All concepts of I-73 aside, the US-23 corridor between Columbus and I-75, at roughly 83 miles (give or take depending where Waldo to Columbus is constructed), is a reasonable I-x75 candidate IMO.

It would provide an interstate highway connection between Columbus and Toledo, and further to Detroit and the rest of Michigan.
Imo if US 23/OH 15 between Columbus and Findlay becomes an interstate, I would call it a northern I-73. Yes, it will never connect to the segment(s) in the Carolinas, but neither will I-74, or I-69 between Memphis and Tenaha..

I have such a thing as I-171, but that's more of a fictional topic.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

TempoNick

Quote from: BlueOutback7

/quote]

I don't think it works as Interstate 171 because nobody would take it to get to i-71 to go to Cleveland or Cincinnati because you're going too far out of your way. Only an x75 number works because it is conceivable that you would take it to get to i-75 and continue on to Michigan.

skluth

Quote from: TempoNick on January 22, 2022, 04:26:09 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7

I don't think it works as Interstate 171 because nobody would take it to get to i-71 to go to Cleveland or Cincinnati because you're going too far out of your way. Only an x75 number works because it is conceivable that you would take it to get to i-75 and continue on to Michigan.
As long as people are taking it for travel to and from I-71, it works as an I-X71. Most SB traffic would even be taking the I-X71 to get to Columbus and environs meaning its purpose would be exactly what drivers want from an I-X71.

sprjus4

^ But unlike I-75, most traffic wouldn't be continuing onto I-71 for a long period of time.

It's truly a split for I-75 south traffic, for some to continue into OH-15, long distance I-71 north or south traffic from outside of Columbus isn't "splitting"  onto US-23 north.

tigerwings

I suspect ODOT would move the US 23 numbering to the bypass, and extend the OH 423 numbering on the old route from Marion to Columbus.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 22, 2022, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 22, 2022, 01:38:47 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 22, 2022, 03:22:25 AM
This is approaching fictional, but...

All concepts of I-73 aside, the US-23 corridor between Columbus and I-75, at roughly 83 miles (give or take depending where Waldo to Columbus is constructed), is a reasonable I-x75 candidate IMO.

It would provide an interstate highway connection between Columbus and Toledo, and further to Detroit and the rest of Michigan.
Imo if US 23/OH 15 between Columbus and Findlay becomes an interstate, I would call it a northern I-73. Yes, it will never connect to the segment(s) in the Carolinas, but neither will I-74, or I-69 between Memphis and Tenaha..

I'll give credit where credit is due, VTK had the original I-171 here from a decade ago.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Dispatch article from this morning...

Tensions between Delaware County's rural residents and the Ohio Department of Transportation over the future of U.S. Route 23 are running high.

Last month, residents opposed to ODOT constructing a freeway through rural Delaware County to solve traffic congestion on Route 23 released a draft document from ODOT that suggested the agency was finalizing a study that favored upgrading the current route over building a new highway, according to the "No Route 23 Connect" website at nohwy.com.

That option, known as the "C1 concept," would add additional through lanes and modify or create 11 new interchanges on existing Route 23.

But Breanna Badanes, ODOT spokesperson for central Ohio, denied that ODOT was anywhere close to making a decision on a favored option, and insisted this is still an ongoing process.

"Information was released indicating that ODOT was finalizing a recommendation for the C1 concept [the no highway option] and we're just not to that point yet," she said. "The document referred to was in draft form."

The Dispatch attempted to reach the administrator of the nohwy.com website, which features video of farmland and a tractor working in a field, but did not receive a response.

The advocacy group released another statement last week, refuting the transportation agency's attempts to downplay the likelihood ODOT would choose the C1 concept for further study and eventually act upon.

"I would ask folks be patient," ODOT's Badanes said in response. "You see those colored swaths on the page, and I think your first reaction is, 'That could impact me,' and we're just not to that point where we know which concept we're choosing, let alone which areas are going to be impacted."

U.S. Route 23: The document in question
Nohwy.com published a 19-page draft of a preliminary feasibility study prepared by the consulting group, ms consultants, inc., in November 2021 on its website on Jan. 31, 2022.

The document, labeled a draft, recommended ODOT pursue the C1 concept for "further study," stating that the proposed option would provide the greatest benefit to the region and would eliminate congestion on Route 23.

But Badanes said the draft only represented the consulting team's technical analysis with the information it had back in November.

"That document prematurely included a conclusion, but it hadn't been reviewed or commented on by ODOT," she added. "It was a draft – it was all the information we had at that time, but that's going to change multiple times as this process continues and as we continue to get more information."

Hundreds of Delaware County residents attended an Ohio Department of Transportation meeting on a Route 23 Connector project under consideration to connect Waldo with U.S. 270 on Columbus' northern outerbelt in order to reduce congestion on Route 23 through Delaware County.
There are five other concepts that ODOT is pursuing, according to the Route 23 Connect website.

The first two of those concepts would connect Route 23 to U.S. Route 33, Interstate 270 and/or U.S. Route 42 on the western side of Delaware County. Three concepts would connect Route 23 to Interstate 71, Interstate 270 and/or U.S. Route 36/State Route 37 on the eastern side of the county.

All five options, outside of the C1 concept, would affect some contingent of Delaware County's largely rural population, a good portion of whom are farmers.

What would be a potential highway's impact on Delaware County?
Project managers from the Ohio Department of Transportation held a public meeting last month at the Delaware County Fairgrounds Exposition Center to discuss ways to decrease congestion on U.S. Route 23 by potentially building a new highway between Waldo and Interstate 270 or Interstate 71 or U.S. Route 33.
Christy Lehner has had a really tough year.

The 45-year-old married into a farming family 18 years ago, the Lehners, who have operated a popular pumpkin farm for 30 years, a wedding venue for another 20 years and still farm field corn and soybeans across nearly 500 acres of land in Radnor Township, Delaware County.

Her husband died last fall, but in her grief the mother of three took solace in the fact that her family's business, and financial security, was assured – until Lehner learned ODOT was proposing two options to improve Route 23 by constructing a freeway in western Delaware County.

"Basically if a highway came right through our property we wouldn't just lose our home, but also our businesses," she said.

The possibility has been a constant stressor in the back of Lehner's mind, but she tries not to dwell too much on the uncertain future.

"There are too many things to worry about right now," Lehner said. "We pray, and we're trying to not worry about it as much as possible, but I'm hoping that people speaking out will help."

From ODOT's perspective, Badanes wants Delaware County residents to know that this will be a lengthy process, and while the draft recommending the C1 concept was published by nohwy.com, it is still subject to change.

"It's like serving a cake before you mix in all the ingredients," she said.

The Ohio Department of Transportation held a public meeting last month at the Delaware County Fairgrounds Exposition Center to present plans to potentially build a new connector highway between Waldo and Interstate 270 or Interstate 71 or U,S. Route 33 to relieve congestion on U.S. Route 23.
The transportation agency recognizes that residents are anxious to hear what the final decision will be, but Badanes stressed it will be several more months, if not a year, before ODOT reaches that point.

"We want to make sure we do it it right, get all the information we need and hear from the public," she said. "We're still in the middle of a public comment period – and that feedback is going to be really important." 

Public comments can be submitted to ODOT through their Route 23 Connect website at:publicinput.com/23connect, through Feb. 28.
---
"The leaked document" that my "no-hwy neighbors" posted for fixing US 23...
https://www.nohwy.com/_files/ugd/8fcddb_2df554cdfc414565852c126af83d109d.pdf

The Ghostbuster

After looking over the different alternatives, and considering the opposition, I'd be shocked if they pick any alternative other than No-Build. However, if I had to choose an alternative, I'd choose Alternative C1.

TempoNick

The last time around it was rural. This time around it's necessary and half of Delaware County is gone. They're going to tell the residents to pound salt.

75-15 vote in the House means it's a done deal.

Trump pushed this through. He promised it when he was running for office. If I read this correctly, the money is earmarked for i-73. That means use it or lose it.

seicer

Well, except there is no I-73 proposal. It's either a connector from I-71 to US 23 (and not a replacement for US 23, so it would be given a new designation similar to the Portsmouth bypass), or it will be an upgrade of the US 23 connector.

Terry Shea

Quote from: TempoNick on February 21, 2022, 06:55:02 PM
The last time around it was rural. This time around it's necessary and half of Delaware County is gone. They're going to tell the residents to pound salt.

75-15 vote in the House means it's a done deal.

Trump pushed this through. He promised it when he was running for office. If I read this correctly, the money is earmarked for i-73. That means use it or lose it.
Do you have some documentation and/or can you clarify what you are talking about here?  Trump is no longer in office and candidates say a lot of things they have absolutely no intention of following through on prior to being elected...or after being elected for that matter.  The 75-15 vote you referred to would have to be in the state house (not the House of Representatives), but you mentioned nothing about if the state senate, the governor and/or if ODOT has given its approval, nor if any funding has been earmarked, nor if environmental surveys and concerns have been addressed.  And what is the specific piece of legislation this 75-15 vote covers?

Henry

Quote from: seicer on February 26, 2022, 10:02:02 AM
Well, except there is no I-73 proposal. It's either a connector from I-71 to US 23 (and not a replacement for US 23, so it would be given a new designation similar to the Portsmouth bypass), or it will be an upgrade of the US 23 connector.
Besides, if there was an I-73 proposal, it would have to be in conjunction with an I-74 extension. And given how built-up the eastern parts of Cincinnati are, there really is no good way to route it through them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

^ Not saying I-74 happens, but if it were to, it could realistically follow the southern part of I-275.

Designate the existing part inside I-275 as I-x74.

The Ghostbuster

Even if Interstate 74 isn't extended east of Cincinatti for god-knows-when, how likely would upgrading OH 32 to full freeway standards from Interstate 275 to US 23 be?

SkyPesos

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2022, 05:01:54 PM
Even if Interstate 74 isn't extended east of Cincinatti for god-knows-when, how likely would upgrading OH 32 to full freeway standards from Interstate 275 to US 23 be?
My guess is that it's very unlikely. I traveled the length between I-275 and US 35 on a trip to the Carolinas last summer, and traffic east of around US 68 is pretty light. Plenty of times past that where it felt like I was the only car on the road. Imo the most important freeway upgrade for OH 32 currently is the removal of the 3 traffic signals between the I-275 interchange and Batavia. They make the traffic on this road pretty awful, even outside rush hours. Especially in the WB direction, where there's only 2 lanes compared to 3 in the EB direction. Had to wait 3 cycles at the lights at Glen Este-Withamsville Rd before being able to pass through on a green.

TempoNick

Quote from: Terry Shea on February 28, 2022, 11:07:57 AM
Do you have some documentation and/or can you clarify what you are talking about here?  Trump is no longer in office and candidates say a lot of things they have absolutely no intention of following through on prior to being elected...or after being elected for that matter.  The 75-15 vote you referred to would have to be in the state house (not the House of Representatives), but you mentioned nothing about if the state senate, the governor and/or if ODOT has given its approval, nor if any funding has been earmarked, nor if environmental surveys and concerns have been addressed.  And what is the specific piece of legislation this 75-15 vote covers?

They don't just come up with bills like that on the fly. Trump got all the talk about infrastructure started. Congress has been working on the final bill for several years.

For some history on I-73:  http://www.roadfan.com/i73orig.html

Terry Shea

Quote from: TempoNick on March 01, 2022, 11:51:07 PM

They don't just come up with bills like that on the fly. Trump got all the talk about infrastructure started. Congress has been working on the final bill for several years.

This is absolute nonsense.  This was a state bill and has absolutely nothing to do with congress.  I'm pretty sure Trump had nothing to do with it and he's no longer president.  And it also has absolutely nothing to do with Delaware County.  Please stop spamming every thread with your nonsense.
https://www.wsaz.com/2022/01/27/ohio-house-passes-resolution-urging-i-73-i-74-extension/

Scott5114

They don't just come up with bills like that on the fly.

You have way more faith in legislatures than they deserve.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

amroad17

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 28, 2022, 03:15:33 PM
^ Not saying I-74 happens, but if it were to, it could realistically follow the southern part of I-275.

Designate the existing part inside I-275 as I-x74.
If I-74 were to be extended, the routing more than likely will follow I-75 South from its present terminus, follow I-71 North through Ft. Washington Way, follow I-471 South, then follow I-275 East in Highland Heights, KY to the vicinity of the OH 32 interchange (63) in Eastgate.

Even though this thread is about I-73, I-74 from the Cincinnati area to the Portsmouth, OH area is intertwined with it.  If there was not an over-abundance of opposition, I-74 could use an upgraded Milford, OH interchange (59), with new construction east of US 50 to the Owensville area, then follow OH 276 to connect with OH 32 east of the Williamsburg area.  I-74 would then be re-routed over the top part of I-275 with the existing I-74 from I-275 to I-75 designated as an I-x74.

Not saying any of this is going to occur.  In reality, I cannot see I-73 signed anywhere north of the current I-81/I-581 interchange in the Roanoke area.  If the necessary upgrades are ever made, then there could be an I-87 situation, in which there would be a northern section and a southern section of I-73 since the route is Congressionally designated.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

The Creek Turnpike is a congressionally designated interstate too. The signs along it clearly identify it as... Oklahoma 364.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

seicer

Well, I-73/74 is a Congressionally designated "High Priority Corridor" and Michigan and Ohio have no plans to build its portion; and West Virginia is building their segments as two- and four-lane expressways with intersections and a few interchanges. So much for that Congressionally designated interstate. It doesn't mean squat if funding isn't attached to it. It's literally people drawing lines on a map and saying "good enough."

Bitmapped

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2022, 01:36:03 AM

State legislatures come up with resolutions all the time calling for this road or that road to be built. (This is not a bill - an actual proposed law - just a concurrent resolution, saying they think pierogis are great or Hang On Sloopy should be the state rock song.) WV has cranked out a couple over the past few years because of one legislator or another pushing for it. None of them will ever be built.

In Ohio, state law (ORC Chapter 5512) and long-standing ODOT policy says TRAC determines how funding gets allocated for big projects. A resolution from the General Assembly saying to build I-73 doesn't mean diddly squat unless they are willing to change code, and doing that would touch off a political firestorm.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

vtk

I will acknowledge that there seems to be some building momentum towards the possible resurrection of I-73 and/or I-74 in Ohio. The inertia of the last twenty years is not insurmountable. But the movement we've seen in recent months doesn't amount to much yet, and it could easily stop again.

Picture this: a car sits on a flat stretch of road near the bottom of a large, steep hill. It hasn't moved, or even run, in quite some time. But now, someone's managed to get it started, and engaged first gear. The engine is sputtering and badly misfiring, and the car weakly begins crawling forward towards the hill, its bearings, suspension, and chassis making awful creaking and groaning noises. At any moment, the engine could stall, the accessory belt could break, the radiator could spring a leak, or a tire could blow out. Maybe the driver will give it some gas, but they're proceeding cautiously for now. The car certainly won't climb the hill on idle. Even if the gas pedal is pressed, on the way up the hill the transmission may begin to slip, or the car might run out of gas. The driver might change their mind and stop. Or maybe, just maybe, everything will go right and the car will make it up and over the hill. It's just too early to tell.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 02, 2022, 01:36:03 AM

Enough about this - let's keep this thread to actual news and no more conjecture. Thanks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.