News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

Hennepin County's new standard phasing is to use the 4 second delay before a flashing yellow arrow starts (but there are a lot of older county signals that do not do this). Bloomington is also implementing protected only phases if there's a conflicting ped call, which Hennepin County will use selectively.

I've never seen the double lanes on Lindau operate with flashing yellow arrows either, and in fact there are no signs mounted on these approaches.

Mdcastle

Met Council Regional Solicitation Grants Awarded.
https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation/Planning-2/Transportation-Funding/Regional-Solicitation/RegionalSolicitationAwardedGrants/2016-Selected-Regional-Solicitation-Projects.aspx

Brooklyn Center got two of them by splitting the 66th interchange project into the interchange itself (Roadway Expansion) and an pedestrian bridge where 70th will be cut off (Multiuse Trails and Bicycle Facilities)

A few highlights:

Interchange at MN 252 and 66th St North, the busiest signalized intersection in the state and one of the most dangerous due to high speeds, congestion, and site distance problems. 70th will be cut off and a pedestrian bridge built in a separate grant.

New interchange at Brockton Lane and I-94 in Dayton. The local governments have been asking for this one for 15 years for economic development and it will connect to a possible new river crossing.

An interchange at MN 36 at Manning Ave, as the evolution of MN 36 from expressway to freeway continues. (An interchange at Hadley Ave is already funded, that leaves Century [will not be done until work on Hadley is complete], Lake Elmo [they said no to the overpass and won't come up with funding for an interchange], and the three in Oak Park Heights [Oak Park Heights threatened to veto the bridge project if the signals were removed]).

Third northbound lane on Snelling in Roseville

Rebuilding the Rice Street interchange with I-694 as a diamond with a bunch of roundabouts (rather than a parclo like the plans we found previously)

Scott County 14 interchange at US 169 (Don't know why they got this one, Scott County has plenty of their own money for stuff like this thanks to their opt-out tax)

77th Street underpass under Cedar

Fairoak Underpass under US 10,

More work on the St. Paul Grand Rounds trails

A bunch of trails along suburban highways

A bunch of sidewalks near some St. Paul schools

Fiber optic traffic signal interconnects on Old Shakopee, Minnetonka, Exclesior, Rockford, Snelling, and Lexington

Rebuilding Lake / Excelsior to be more pedestrian friendly

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Mdcastle on February 03, 2017, 08:58:01 AM
Fiber optic traffic signal interconnects on Old Shakopee, Minnetonka, Exclesior, Rockford, Snelling, and Lexington

Is there any advantage to using fiber optic lines to connect traffic signals over copper wires? I understand the advantage when it comes to Internet connections, but not with regards to traffic signals. Seems like super-expensive overkill to me.

froggie

QuoteIs there any advantage to using fiber optic lines to connect traffic signals over copper wires? I understand the advantage when it comes to Internet connections, but not with regards to traffic signals. Seems like super-expensive overkill to me.

As those with old school DSL will tell you, there's a distance limitation with copper wire that doesn't really exist with fiber.  Important for where there's longer distances between signals.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
QuoteIs there any advantage to using fiber optic lines to connect traffic signals over copper wires? I understand the advantage when it comes to Internet connections, but not with regards to traffic signals. Seems like super-expensive overkill to me.

As those with old school DSL will tell you, there's a distance limitation with copper wire that doesn't really exist with fiber.  Important for where there's longer distances between signals.

Any use of fiber optics with traffic signals would be limited to setting timing, phase, sequencing, and other parameters remotely or centrally.  The signals themselves will still require a standard electrical power supply, which would in any case require metallic wiring; the fiber-optic cables would connect relays or digital switching in the on-site control boxes. 

froggie

I think he was referring to interconnecting signals, not the physical signal installation itself.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2017, 05:05:42 PM
I think he was referring to interconnecting signals, not the physical signal installation itself.

Good -- then that makes more sense.  It would be much more efficient to effect some sort of centralized approach to traffic control through synchronization -- if the parameters could be adjusted to account for traffic levels and even recurring anomalies (accidents, road work) in order to optimize them for maximal effectual results.  If fiber optics can at once enhance this process while cutting down maintenance costs, it's a "win-win" situation all around.

Mdcastle

At this point most of the signals owned by a given agency on a corridor are interconnected, but if you go from a county to city signal, there is not coordination.  What's going on is thinking much bigger and implementing a central traffic control system for the south suburbs for all Mn/DOT, south suburban Hennepin, and Dakota county signals. This will eventually include adaptive traffic control. Bloomington also intends to join in and there is a project to lay fiber along Lyndale and American this spring.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

The Ghostbuster

Is Minnesota going on a roundabout-building binge like Wisconsin has (not that I disapprove of it)?

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 07, 2017, 11:44:23 AM
US 169/MN 37 intersection in Hibbing to be rebuilt as a roundabout this spring.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/Hwy-169-Hwy-37-Roundabout/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

Am I the only one who can't load this link?

For that matter, I can't seem to load any links to the MnDOT website. Every link returns with "This site can't be reached" on Chrome.

FWIW, my internet seems to be working just fine, just not with the MnDOT websites. Strange.

froggie

Quote from: jakerootAm I the only one who can't load this link?

For that matter, I can't seem to load any links to the MnDOT website. Every link returns with "This site can't be reached" on Chrome.

FWIW, my internet seems to be working just fine, just not with the MnDOT websites. Strange.

Might just be you.  Granted, I'm not using Chrome, but not having a problem accessing MnDOT websites in general or this project website in particular.

Speaking of this project, it made last year's forum list of upcoming projects.

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2017, 09:09:45 PM
Might just be you.  Granted, I'm not using Chrome, but not having a problem accessing MnDOT websites in general or this project website in particular.

I tried it using Edge. Worked fine.  :confused:

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2017, 06:37:15 PM
Is Minnesota going on a roundabout-building binge like Wisconsin has (not that I disapprove of it)?

Not nearly to Wisconsin's extent, but it's been a steadily increasing sight in Minnesota over the last five years or so. I'd say though that local governments started it first and MnDOT is just now starting to catch up to them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2017, 06:43:48 PM

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/Hwy-169-Hwy-37-Roundabout/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

I have the same problem with Chrome. No idea what it is. I use Firefox to access their site, because I'm presently too lazy to figure out what the issue is.

Roadguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 08, 2017, 10:36:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2017, 06:43:48 PM

I have the same problem with Chrome. No idea what it is. I use Firefox to access their site, because I'm presently too lazy to figure out what the issue is.

MnDOT had a post on their facebook page awhile back (Jan 17th) about this:
"Having problems accessing our website?
Due to a glitch you may need to clear the cache on your browser, especially if you use Google Chrome.
How to (Chrome):
1. Click the three vertically stacked dots in the upper right corner of your browser.
2. Hover over "More tools."
3. Select "Clear browsing data."
4. Check the boxes for "Cached images and files" and "Cookies and other site and plugin data."
5. Click "Clear browsing data.""

froggie

QuoteI'd say though that local governments started it first and MnDOT is just now starting to catch up to them.

I'd argue otherwise.  MnDOT built the second & third roundabouts in the state (I-35 Medford interchange) which opened only a month after the first roundabout in Maplewood.  Given the timeline involved with state vs. local projects, it's likely that MnDOT started their planning before Maplewood did.

Has MnDOT been slow to pick up compared to local jurisdictions?  Perhaps, but I'd argue that MnDOT was the initiator.  I distinctly remember that back when the Medford roundabouts were being planned.

jakeroot

Quote from: MnDOT on Facebook
Due to a glitch you may need to clear the cache on your browser, especially if you use Google Chrome.

Hahahaha that's not gonna happen.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadguy on February 09, 2017, 07:09:44 AM
MnDOT had a post on their facebook page awhile back (Jan 17th) about this:
How to (Chrome):
1. Click the three vertically stacked dots in the upper right corner of your browser.
2. Hover over "More tools."
3. Select "Clear browsing data."
4. Check the boxes for "Cached images and files" and "Cookies and other site and plugin data."
5. Click "Clear browsing data.""

That actually worked. I have no idea why I didn't try that before... but maybe it's because I assumed cache data didn't have anything to do with establishing connections. Thanks!

Mdcastle

And why can't they just fix the problem on their end, considering the number of people that use Chrome?

froggie

I wouldn't.  Chrome's a memory hog and a PITA.

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on February 10, 2017, 10:33:47 AM
I wouldn't.  Chrome's a memory hog and a PITA.

True, but a lot of people use Chrome on their computer because they use it on their phone (and vice versa). This has the advantage of syncing passwords, cookies, history, etc between your devices. Makes life a lot easier. I'm sure the same things are possible with mobile versions of Firefox and Opera, but when everything you do involves Google in some respect, it's just easier to use Chrome.

FWIW, the MnDOT website is the first website that I've ever been to that has this issue. Surely it can't be a difficult fix (if it were, I'm sure other websites would suffer the same issues).

Mdcastle

I use an iPhone, but I have two Asus Chromeboxes attached to my TV sets and Google Maps seems to work better with Chrome.

Then you have Mn/DOT's lighting layouts which work on Internet Explorer and nothing else (and not very well at that).

TheHighwayMan3561

A state lawmaker plans to introduce a law to raise the loathed 45 MPH speed limit on I-35E to 55, and failing that will then introduce a bill to prevent cops from giving tickets to anyone driving 55 or under on that stretch.

This would not alter the truck ban on that section, for the record.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/02/13/speed-limit55-mph-interstate-35e/

MNHighwayMan

I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long for a lawmaker to seriously try to change that speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.