News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

I drove through Kalamazoo last year and noticed that the removal of trunkline route signing was oddly selective.

• The eastern terminus of M-343 at M-89 in Richland has an END assembly.  No END assembly at the western terminus at Riverview Drive.
  • The BL I-94 shields along the remaining eastern portion between I-94 and Mills Street were replaced with BS I-94 shields and the eastern terminus has a new END assembly.  No END assembly at the now-western terminus at Mills Street.
  • No END assembly at the now-southern terminus of BS US-131 at Hopkins Street.
  • None of the overhead BGSs in the city had been removed.  At what is now the western terminus of M-343, the overhead M-43 DOWNTOWN sign still points motorists south on Riverview Drive toward Michigan Avenue.  On wbd Kalamazoo Avenue at Westnedge Avenue, the overhead BGSs showing the correct lanes for M-43 and the business routes still remain.  On ebd Michigan Avenue at Harrison Street, the poorly-placed overhead BGSs showing the M-43/BL I-94 split still remain.  Of course, there are no longer any confirmation assemblies for any of these routes.
I wonder whether (a) this is MDOT sloppiness, or (b) Kalamazoo requested that MDOT do the sign removal in this half-assed fashion to continue routing unsuspecting motorists into the city.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 09, 2022, 01:23:30 PM
I drove through Kalamazoo last year and noticed that the removal of trunkline route signing was oddly selective.

• The eastern terminus of M-343 at M-89 in Richland has an END assembly.  No END assembly at the western terminus at Riverview Drive.
  • The BL I-94 shields along the remaining eastern portion between I-94 and Mills Street were replaced with BS I-94 shields and the eastern terminus has a new END assembly.  No END assembly at the now-western terminus at Mills Street.
  • No END assembly at the now-southern terminus of BS US-131 at Hopkins Street.
  • None of the overhead BGSs in the city had been removed.  At what is now the western terminus of M-343, the overhead M-43 DOWNTOWN sign still points motorists south on Riverview Drive toward Michigan Avenue.  On wbd Kalamazoo Avenue at Westnedge Avenue, the overhead BGSs showing the correct lanes for M-43 and the business routes still remain.  On ebd Michigan Avenue at Harrison Street, the poorly-placed overhead BGSs showing the M-43/BL I-94 split still remain.  Of course, there are no longer any confirmation assemblies for any of these routes.
I wonder whether (a) this is MDOT sloppiness, or (b) Kalamazoo requested that MDOT do the sign removal in this half-assed fashion to continue routing unsuspecting motorists into the city.
I remember US-10 signs in Detroit as late as the 2000's. A sign would say US-10 Lodge Freeway and I got thinking are they ever going to replace these signs? They are all gone now I do believe but leave it to me I might find one lingering around someday who knows. It's probably MDOT being sloppy though. You should see the new signs on NB I-75 in Saginaw that are off centered.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 09, 2022, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on July 08, 2022, 11:28:20 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 08, 2022, 08:37:13 AM
Quote from: GaryV on July 07, 2022, 09:48:23 AM
Grand River Ave follows the native trading trail that went from the Detroit area to the settlements in the Grand River Valley. Once white settlement started, the trail was given the Grand River name, and the name carried over to the road. It was never meant to be a road that followed a river bank.
This is the routing that it follows. It comes in from the NE and turns on M-89, goes up to US-131 and goes south back to where it originally connected to go west toward South Haven. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.3907303,-85.455287/42.2958593,-85.6665463/@42.3637659,-85.7477421,11z/data=!4m3!4m2!3e0!5i1

Kalamazoo for some reason wanted to eliminate the state highway from going through downtown due to confusing one way streets that they made into two way streets. M-343 took over a part of the route but it ends at Riverview Drive about a half mile inside Kalamazoo city limits so it doesn't go through the city or even make it downtown.
I think you answered the wrong post in the wrong forum. ;)
Yeah I did GaryV noticed it yesterday and messaged me asking me about it too. I was wondering where that post that I made went and then I noticed I posted in the wrong thread.
If that ever happens, click "Report to moderator" on your own post (!) and let us know that it's in the wrong place.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 09, 2022, 11:26:35 PM
You should see the new signs on NB I-75 in Saginaw that are off centered.

If you're talking about overhead BGSs not having their bottom edges lined up with each other, I agree that's a sad design change.  I know other states do it, but I think it looks sloppy as hell.  It's not just in Saginaw; it's all over the state.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 11, 2022, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 09, 2022, 11:26:35 PM
You should see the new signs on NB I-75 in Saginaw that are off centered.

If you're talking about overhead BGSs not having their bottom edges lined up with each other, I agree that's a sad design change.  I know other states do it, but I think it looks sloppy as hell.  It's not just in Saginaw; it's all over the state.
This is how it used to look. But the sign on the left was taken down about 8-9 years ago, then put back up after this recent reconstruction. It looks sloppy now I agree. But here's a view back to when it looked right. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4258273,-83.8906482,3a,15.6y,2.27h,94.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV1wntXEGFvCvXcJbWcSKiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Flint1979

Also I-675 sure has been closed a lot and under construction the past 15 years it seems like. It's only 7 miles long.

Flint1979

Not sure if this is an everyday thing but for the past 2 days I have noticed a speed trap by the Michigan State Police on the I-96 and I-69 concurrency on the west side of Lansing. I noticed as many as six State Police cruisers in that stretch and it looks like they're looking at both directions.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2022, 10:09:37 AM
Not sure if this is an everyday thing but for the past 2 days I have noticed a speed trap by the Michigan State Police on the I-96 and I-69 concurrency on the west side of Lansing. I noticed as many as six State Police cruisers in that stretch and it looks like they're looking at both directions.

State Patrol HQ is in the southwest corner of Lansing (Lansing and Canal).  They also have their training facility there.  So it never surprises me to see a lot of staties on that side of the city.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

afguy

MDOT has launched a PEL study for the M-14/Barton Driver interchange in Ann Arbor. Considering how tight that interchange is and the number of accidents that occur there, I'm curious to see what improvements MDOT could implement there.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/projects-studies/studies/planning-and-environmental-linkages-studies/m14-barton-drive-interchange

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 13, 2022, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2022, 10:09:37 AM

State Patrol HQ is in the southwest corner of Lansing (Lansing and Canal).  They also have their training facility there.  So it never surprises me to see a lot of staties on that side of the city.
That could be why.

wanderer2575

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 13, 2022, 04:51:55 PM
Crews have been building the steel structure for the new Second Avenue bridge over I-94 in downtown Detroit (part of the I-94 Modernization project).  This will be the first network tied arch bridge in Michigan.  The structure is being built in a Wayne State University parking lot on the south side of the freeway between Second and Third avenues.

I-94 will be closed for seven days while the new bridge structure is rolled into place on modular transports.  This is anticipated to begin Sunday, July 10th.  MDOT has scheduled a virtual open house this Thursday, June 16th, at 11:30am to discuss the bridge slide.  Here is a link to the MDOT announcement, which itself includes a link to the Zoom meeting:
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/06/07/mdot-virtual-open-house-june-16-to-discuss--second-avenue-bridge-slide-over-i-94-in-detroit

I drove down yesterday and got a couple photos from across the freeway; I could not get up close.  First photo is looking south across the westbound freeway lanes from Third Avenue.  (The Third Avenue bridge was demolished and removed last year, and will not be replaced.)

Second photo is looking southwest across the freeway from Second Avenue.  The upright rebar is the abutment wall where the north end of the bridge will sit.

Both directions of I-94 between I-75 and M-10 in downtown Detroit will close at 4:00am this Friday 07/22 to move the bridge structure into place, and will reopen by 4:00am Friday 07/29.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/07/15/second-avenue-bridge-move-over-i-94-in-detroit-begins-july-22

JREwing78

Quote from: afguy on July 14, 2022, 08:17:45 PM
MDOT has launched a PEL study for the M-14/Barton Driver interchange in Ann Arbor. Considering how tight that interchange is and the number of accidents that occur there, I'm curious to see what improvements MDOT could implement there.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/projects-studies/studies/planning-and-environmental-linkages-studies/m14-barton-drive-interchange

The study encompasses the entire stretch of M-14 from the US-23 interchange to after the ramps to Main St, including the bridge over the Huron River. It'll be interesting to see what MDOT ends up doing in the area.

Normally, this area would be ripe for a widening, and a C/D lane arrangement that separates the entering and existing traffic from the through traffic. The replacement bridge would end up roughly double the width of the original to provide enough room for said movements.

Many locals would prefer the freeway is removed altogether. There's extensive park space in and around the interchange. Residential homes and offices are up close to the roadway. Aside from the shared section with US-23, this would be the first section around Ann Arbor itself that would get a widening to 6 lanes.

This is the one section of M-14 that prevents an Interstate designation (not that MDOT is necessarily concerned about that) due to being substandard.

It'll be interesting to watch this one and see how MDOT pulls this off.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ChimpOnTheWheel

It's really blurry (the image), but should give some idea of what the construction status was (as of last week) with the I-94/US-31 interchange in Benton Harbor.
Just a casual.

catch22

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 18, 2022, 06:39:50 PM
Both directions of I-94 between I-75 and M-10 in downtown Detroit will close at 4:00am this Friday 07/22 to move the bridge structure into place, and will reopen by 4:00am Friday 07/29.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/07/15/second-avenue-bridge-move-over-i-94-in-detroit-begins-july-22

Here's a picture showing the progress of the bridge slide:

Edit:  Found this Twitter post with a time-lapse video showing the progress:

https://twitter.com/LtGovGilchrist/status/1551612566543257601

afguy

I found this tidbit about two future construction projects planned for U.S. 127/I-496 in Lansing. MDOT currently has several major projects planned for U.S. 127 between the Ingham/Jackson County line and I-69. The two projects that caught my eye are planned reconstruction of U.S. 127/I-496 between I-96 and I-496. This project will begin in 2023 and finally add a 3rd lane to this segment. The final project is between I-496 and I-69. This project will rebuild and realign U.S. 127 between I-496 and Kalamazoo St. For the last project I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

QuoteBridge replacement of the southbound US-127 ramp to westbound I-496 and the eastbound I-496 ramp to northbound US-127
MDOT is investing approximately $8 million to replace two bridges within the US-127/I-496 interchange in Ingham County. This work will take place in spring 2023.

QuoteUS-127/I-496 from I-96 to I-496
MDOT is proposing to rebuild and provide operational improvements on this segment of US-127/I-496 to address safety concerns, improve roadway geometrics, and improve vehicular movement, all while keeping future maintenance concerns, the environment, and cost-effectiveness in mind for roadway users by adding a permanent third lane through this corridor. This major project will also include improving and rebuilding bridges through this segment, as well as upgrades to drainage, signs, intelligent transportation systems (ITS), and pavement markings. This work is proposed to occur from summer 2023 through 2025

QuoteUS-127 from I-496 to I-69
MDOT is proposing to rebuild and realign a portion of US-127 from I-496 to Kalamazoo Street to improve roadway geometrics, safety, and vehicular movement through this corridor. MDOT is proposing to improve the freeway from Kalamazoo Street north to I-69, with concrete pavement repairs and an asphalt overlay. In addition to this work, the project would improve bridges through this corridor as well as upgrade drainage, signs, ITS, and pavement markings. This work is proposed to begin in spring 2025.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/projects-studies/us-route-construction/us127-resurfacing-project-ingham-county#:~:text=and%20I%2D496.-,US%2D127%2FI%2D496%20from,I%2D96%20to%20I%2D496&text=This%20major%20project%20will%20also,from%20summer%202023%20through%202025.

JREwing78

Quote from: afguy on July 25, 2022, 03:30:38 PM
The two projects that caught my eye are planned reconstruction of U.S. 127/I-496 between I-96 and I-496. This project will begin in 2023 and finally add a 3rd lane to this segment. The final project is between I-496 and I-69. This project will rebuild and realign U.S. 127 between I-496 and Kalamazoo St. For the last project I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

I'm slightly amazed that MDOT didn't try to cram a Flex Lane down this stretch of US-127, or rebuild it as a 4-lane freeway instead. Then again, it has a number of narrow overpasses over other roads that are at the end of their design life (not to mention the accident-prone Trowbridge Rd exit). Since they have to replace a bunch of bridges anyway, 6-laning is kind of a no-brainer.

The rebuild at I-496/Trowbridge Rd might be simpler if they flip-flop the NBD lane assignments. Currently I-496 veers left while US-127 stays right. If instead US-127 breaks off to the left and I-496 to the right, the curves for US-127 can be made shallower. There's land that MDOT can expand into just east of the current highway to make a more gentle turn for Trowbridge Rd and to ease the curve for I-496, without having to take buildings.

The other advantage with flip-flopping the US-127/I-496 split is that both the NBD US-127 and WBD I-496 on-ramps from Trowbridge can be combined, with an appropriate split farther down, and the ability to make both on-ramps enter the highway from the right. They can also start a weave-merge lane back before Trowbridge Rd for drivers exiting at Kalamazoo Ave for Frandor, to limit the amount of rapid weaving and merging needed. Ultimately, this might require a fourth lane at the point they merge the Trowbridge and I-496 traffic into NBD US-127, and carrying the third lane past Lake Lansing Rd.

SBD US-127 could also carry a 4th lane south of Saginaw St, with US-127 taking the left 2 lanes, I-496 exiting from the 3rd lane, and Trowbridge Rd traffic taking the 4th lane at the split. About 3/4 mile to cut over 2 lanes from Saginaw isn't ideal, but not a deal-killer. The on-ramps from Kalamazoo St can be unkinked and laid out more logically, without forcing Trowbridge Rd traffic to hop on and off US-127 in rapid succession. Someone with more time to doodle is welcome to sketch it out for the rest of us.  :bigass:

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 19, 2022, 08:29:21 AM
Quote from: afguy on July 14, 2022, 08:17:45 PM

The study encompasses the entire stretch of M-14 from the US-23 interchange to after the ramps to Main St, including the bridge over the Huron River. It'll be interesting to see what MDOT ends up doing in the area.

Normally, this area would be ripe for a widening, and a C/D lane arrangement that separates the entering and existing traffic from the through traffic. The replacement bridge would end up roughly double the width of the original to provide enough room for said movements.

Many locals would prefer the freeway is removed altogether. There's extensive park space in and around the interchange. Residential homes and offices are up close to the roadway. Aside from the shared section with US-23, this would be the first section around Ann Arbor itself that would get a widening to 6 lanes.

This is the one section of M-14 that prevents an Interstate designation (not that MDOT is necessarily concerned about that) due to being substandard.

It'll be interesting to watch this one and see how MDOT pulls this off.

I hope the NIMBYs in Ann Arbor don't get this freeway removed. Because it's a northern bypass of Ann Arbor for people coming from Detroit's west / north suburbs to westbound I 94, it carries a lot of through traffic that would have to take US 23 south to join I 94 on the southeast side of Ann Arbor.

Also, it's a good way to get to U of M stadium even though downtown Ann Arbor is between M 14 and the stadium. I shudder at how much worse traffic would get on days when U of M was playing at home if the large number of U of M alumni in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham couldn't take this freeway to "the big house".

JREwing78

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on July 26, 2022, 03:10:34 PM
I hope the NIMBYs in Ann Arbor don't get this freeway removed. Because it's a northern bypass of Ann Arbor for people coming from Detroit's west / north suburbs to westbound I 94, it carries a lot of through traffic that would have to take US 23 south to join I 94 on the southeast side of Ann Arbor.

Also, it's a good way to get to U of M stadium even though downtown Ann Arbor is between M 14 and the stadium. I shudder at how much worse traffic would get on days when U of M was playing at home if the large number of U of M alumni in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham couldn't take this freeway to "the big house".

Just to clarify, I fully expect M-14 won't be going anywhere. What I fear is that MDOT will either go cheap, or the NIMBYs force MDOT to only make "safety" improvements and won't be allowed to add the third lane in each direction or a proper weave/merge area for entering and exiting traffic. That bridge over the Huron was not designed with M-14 in mind - it was for US-23 (or Business US-23) into and out of downtown Ann Arbor. That stretch definitely wasn't built for the traffic it gets now.

The only section of freeway around Ann Arbor that doesn't need 6 (or 8)-laning would be M-14 west of Main St, since traffic drops off enough there to not need it. The US-23/M-14 multiplex should be widened to 8 lanes. I-94 east of M-14 needs to be bumped to 6 lanes. US-23 south of M-14 to at least US-12 needs 6-laning - maybe 8-laning between Washtenaw Ave and I-94. Washtenaw Ave's cloverleaf needs to be converted to a SPUI or diverging diamond interchange.

afguy

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 26, 2022, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: Papa Emeritus on July 26, 2022, 03:10:34 PM

Just to clarify, I fully expect M-14 won't be going anywhere. What I fear is that MDOT will either go cheap, or the NIMBYs force MDOT to only make "safety" improvements and won't be allowed to add the third lane in each direction or a proper weave/merge area for entering and exiting traffic. That bridge over the Huron was not designed with M-14 in mind - it was for US-23 (or Business US-23) into and out of downtown Ann Arbor. That stretch definitely wasn't built for the traffic it gets now.

The only section of freeway around Ann Arbor that doesn't need 6 (or 8)-laning would be M-14 west of Main St, since traffic drops off enough there to not need it. The US-23/M-14 multiplex should be widened to 8 lanes. I-94 east of M-14 needs to be bumped to 6 lanes. US-23 south of M-14 to at least US-12 needs 6-laning - maybe 8-laning between Washtenaw Ave and I-94. Washtenaw Ave's cloverleaf needs to be converted to a SPUI or diverging diamond interchange.

I agree with that as well. It makes no since to me that M-14 isn't 6 lanes from Main St east to Plymouth. Also, I-94 and U.S.23 should have been widened years ago. One interesting note is that MDOT is planning to rebuild U.S. 23 between I-94 and M-14 in 2026. I would hope MDOT plans on adding a flex lane or third lane when they rebuild this stretch. There's just way too much growth and congestion along that stretch.

afguy

As part of the Rebuilding Michigan program, MDOT is planning to rebuild U.S. 131 between the Allegan/Kent County and 76th Street. The project will include adding a weave/merge lane on U.S. 131 between 84th and 76th street, plus a concrete median barrier. Honestly, I never understood why MDOT never made U.S. 131 six lanes between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. There's a lot of truck traffic along that route and Grand Rapids is slowly, but surely growing south toward Kalamazoo. Also, The U.S. 131 freeway needs to be extended to the Indiana Toll Road.

QuoteGrand Region: US-31 from Allegan/Kent County Line to 76th Street
Work Activity: 2024-2025

Type of Work: Road Improvements and Rebuilding

-Improve operations and safety in this growing area with weave-merge lanes between 84th Street and 76th Street interchanges[/li][/list]

-Construction of a concrete median barrier, saving on maintenance needs and costs[/li][/list]

-Culvert replacement and improvements to minimize stream disruption[/li][/list]

-Stormwater management improvements promoting longer pavement life and more reliable driving surfaces

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/programs/planning/five-year-transportation-program/road-and-bridge-highlights

Flint1979

The flex lane is the stupidest idea ever. Just add the third lane and be done with it how freaking hard is that? And while I'm at it why has almost nothing been done to US-23 in years? It's a federal highway that serves an important corridor and MDOT just leaves it at four lanes for all but the M-14 concurrency and the stupid flex lanes between the Ohio line and Flint. I-94 is another one that should have already been widened throughout the state. Basically all the way from I-196 to at least 23 Mile Road needs an extra lane in each direction. I can't count how many times I've come off SB I-69 to WB I-94 and been held up all the way to Kalamazoo by truck traffic. I-196 to 23 Mile Road is 209 miles so that right there tells you how far behind they are. And US-23 is 90 miles of headache between Flint and the Ohio border.

Honestly I think with the development and everything it would be very hard to widen I-94 in Ann Arbor between M-14 and US-23. A re-route of the highway might need to be done in order to do that.

afguy

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2022, 04:32:37 PM
The flex lane is the stupidest idea ever. Just add the third lane and be done with it how freaking hard is that? And while I'm at it why has almost nothing been done to US-23 in years? It's a federal highway that serves an important corridor and MDOT just leaves it at four lanes for all but the M-14 concurrency and the stupid flex lanes between the Ohio line and Flint. I-94 is another one that should have already been widened throughout the state. Basically all the way from I-196 to at least 23 Mile Road needs an extra lane in each direction. I can't count how many times I've come off SB I-69 to WB I-94 and been held up all the way to Kalamazoo by truck traffic. I-196 to 23 Mile Road is 209 miles so that right there tells you how far behind they are. And US-23 is 90 miles of headache between Flint and the Ohio border.

Honestly I think with the development and everything it would be very hard to widen I-94 in Ann Arbor between M-14 and US-23. A re-route of the highway might need to be done in order to do that.

While I certainly agree that I-94 and U.S. 23 should have been widened years ago, a lot of this comes down to MDOT's budget. Everyone knows that spending on roads in Michigan needs to increase, but the politicians in Lansing don't seem to be in the mood for any sort of tax increase to fix the damn roads. Michigan spends far less on its roads than its neighbors to the south, Ohio and Indiana and it shows. Until the budget for MDOT is increased, you will continue to see our state's infrastructure crumble and these poor-man's widenings called flex lanes continue to be built.

ChimpOnTheWheel

Quote from: afguy on July 27, 2022, 01:58:13 PMThe U.S. 131 freeway needs to be extended to the Indiana Toll Road.
This. Heck, even just some proper freeway bypass(es) of Three Rivers and/or Constantine would make a world of a difference.

Right now, the best way to go south appears to be either US-31 or I-69, depending on where you're starting and where you're going. But US-131 could do a much better job than both of these if it was upgraded. Much straighter path.
Just a casual.

afguy

The draft 2023-2027 Five-Year Plan is now available on MDOT's website. The only highlights for me are the 1-375 removal project that will begin in 2027 and the total reconstruction of U.S. 23 between I-94 and M-14, including replacing all the bridges along that stretch. I'm really hoping MDOT adds a third lane here because that stretch of U.S. 23 needs it.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/-/media/Project/Websites/MDOT/Programs/Planning/Five-Year-Transportation-Program/2023-2027-Draft-5YTP.pdf?rev=7be7999b307e4779a0aa4a9b8c2a80bd&hash=F042F924BA941C9D5B0C255B01212DCC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.