News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random climate discussion

Started by Poiponen13, September 16, 2023, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2024, 10:20:26 PM
At least in a desert, you know you're in a desert and can plan accordingly by having water on hand should you need it.

You would think it's that simple, but apparently people are still (literally) dying while out in the middle of the desert like bottom of the Grand Canyon.  I guess people either:

A) Had that false sense of comfort by underestimating the lethality of low humidity and neglect to properly hydrate, or
B) Even with drinking a lot of water, but overexerting themselves causing them to dehydrate faster.

In conditions such as temperature of 110 degrees and dew point of anything below 40 degrees, even just standing outside doing nothing else, the average person probably can't last an hour (at least without immediate medical assistance) in dry heat without ample hydration.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Poiponen13

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2024, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2024, 02:30:43 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on January 08, 2024, 01:36:46 PM
It would be nice to see a place where summers winters are very cool, and there is still quite a lot of snow in the beginning of June, frost measured at least one day in every July and August, and temperatures under -15 C as late as early May and as early as late September. I now start imagining a large city in such climate. I like places where it happens.

This belongs in your fictional thread.  You're just making stuff up.

Well, with one small change, it sounds a whole lot like the Southern Hemisphere...
I meant a place which is too far north or in high elevation. In Northern hemisphere. It causes summers to be very short and cool, and long winters with snow cover continuously from late September to early June.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 09, 2024, 06:11:38 AM
It would be nice to see a place where summers winters are very cool, and there is still quite a lot of snow in the beginning of June, frost measured at least one day in every July and August, and temperatures under -15 C as late as early May and as early as late September. I now start imagining a large city in such climate. I like places where it happens.

Well, with one small change, it sounds a whole lot like the Southern Hemisphere...
I meant a place which is too far north or in high elevation. In Northern hemisphere. It causes summers to be very short and cool, and long winters with snow cover continuously from late September to early June.
Northern Greenland? Baffin Island?

kphoger

Quote from: jgb191 on January 08, 2024, 09:16:35 PM
In conditions such as temperature of 110 degrees and dew point of anything below 40 degrees, even just standing outside doing nothing else, the average person probably can't last an hour (at least without immediate medical assistance) in dry heat without ample hydration.

In 90s weather, I can go several hours of manual labor without hydration in a dry climate, even at high elevation.  But I don't think I've had to do much in temps in the ballpark of 110.  As a kid, though, I could have easily gone swimming in those temperatures for hours at a time;  growing up, I used to swim from 2:00 to 5:00 every day in the summer without drinking anything, and high temps generally ran between 96 and 102.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 12:54:25 PM

In 90s weather, I can go several hours of manual labor without hydration in a dry climate, even at high elevation.  But I don't think I've had to do much in temps in the ballpark of 110.  As a kid, though, I could have easily gone swimming in those temperatures for hours at a time;  growing up, I used to swim from 2:00 to 5:00 every day in the summer without drinking anything, and high temps generally ran between 96 and 102.
Yeah, same here.  Then, my kidneys decided to protest with a slowdown.

You get your adult kidneys and then it's just managing their deterioration from that point forward...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on January 09, 2024, 07:16:56 AM

Souky.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on January 09, 2024, 02:59:06 PM
Souky.

Unless Souky is a real place, then this belongs in your fictional "Poiponen13 in one thread" dumpster fire.

Troll.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 09, 2024, 02:59:06 PM

Souky.

No

SectorZ

Souky.

Ne

kphoger

Souky.

Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing
Male pronouns, please.

jgb191

In low dew points, mid-90s is quite tolerable....we were around 90 degrees yesterday and I was still able to mow the lawn without much discomfort.  But mid-110s can be damaging to the skin especially being outside for a while.  And lots of people also neglect to realize that the desert Southwest also sees consistently higher heat index than most other places in the country (outside the Gulf Coast).  Even with dew point in the 40s, the average July high in Phoenix (106 degrees) sees the Heat Index near the actual temperature.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

webny99

Quote from: jgb191 on January 09, 2024, 08:17:24 PM

In low dew points, mid-90s is quite tolerable....we were around 90 degrees yesterday and I was still able to mow the lawn without much discomfort.  But mid-110s can be damaging to the skin especially being outside for a while.  And lots of people also neglect to realize that the desert Southwest also sees consistently higher heat index than most other places in the country (outside the Gulf Coast).  Even with dew point in the 40s, the average July high in Phoenix (106 degrees) sees the Heat Index near the actual temperature.

It also depends if you're in the blazing sun or the shade, and if there's a breeze or not.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2024, 09:38:17 PM
It also depends if you're in the blazing sun or the shade, and if there's a breeze or not.

Breezes don't work past 95°.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2024, 09:39:47 PM

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2024, 09:38:17 PM

Breezes don't work past 95°.

Oversimplification.  Breezes help your sweat evaporate faster, which helps your body cool, no matter how hot the ambient air temperature.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

That was interesting phenomenon to observe on summer runs in Phoenix.  If it was super windy (not uncommon with the monsoon) and in the 90s it my water intake needs went up exponentially.  The wind felt great, but the effect is definitely was something I noticed.

triplemultiplex

Humidity is a small price to pay for consistent access to abundant water.
Punch a hole in the ground anywhere around here and you've pretty got as much water as you need.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2024, 09:54:21 AM
That was interesting phenomenon to observe on summer runs in Phoenix.  If it was super windy (not uncommon with the monsoon) and in the 90s it my water intake needs went up exponentially.  The wind felt great, but the effect is definitely was something I noticed.

Yes.  Sweating will keep you cool better but, when your sweat isn't soaking through your clothes, it's easy to forget your body is still sweating water out—indeed, more than usual.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2023, 10:17:03 AM
Here's what I want:

10 months out of the year – highs in the 60s to 80s, lows in the 40s to 60s.

1 month of full-on winter, with snowstorms every other day or something.

1 month of full-on summer, with highs over 100 and not a cloud in the sky.

People talk about how they love the changing of the seasons.  I do too, but summer and winter are just way too long.

Good luck with that :)

Road Hog

Didn't mean to start a holy war with my previous post. I just want a break from the extreme summer temperatures. Whether it's a couple weeks or if I can get it with my vaca, a full month.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.