News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

I mean, my dad's stepfather was pulled over on one of the parkways in the 80s for having a box of catalogs for his used book store on the back seat. Using the parkway for commercial purposes. So if they're gonna be that strict, they can pull over anyone delivering anything.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

And just this morning I watched a Trooper pull over a van with very fancy commercial business lettering and logos on Northern State Parkway. In this case, a very obvious commercial vehicle.

empirestate

You know, I always wondered whether they ever actually enforce the rule for those commercial vehicles that aren't physically precluded from using the parkways. In fact, there are days I wish it were possible to prohibit any non-recreational use of the parkways–I've kinda had my fill of battling all the maniacs who try to make their Poughkeepsie-Staten Island commute in as little time as possible. :-D

Buffaboy

Speaking of getting pulled over, I wish NY-5 (Hamburg Turnpike) was 50 MPH, not 40...

But back on the subject it's amazing how literal they take "commercial vehicle." Didn't know they go that far when I thought it was just for big vehicles.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 12, 2018, 10:42:39 PM
But back on the subject it's amazing how literal they take "commercial vehicle." Didn't know they go that far when I thought it was just for big vehicles.

That's a very common misconception, given that it's almost always framed in terms of overpass clearances being insufficient for trucks and buses (even the DOT's own brochure on the subject focuses almost exclusively on the height restrictions). But the ban on commercial vehicles really stems from the parkways' purpose, rather than their physical configuration. Granted, the low clearances are generally thought to have been a means of enforcing the ban, but they're aren't the reason for it. The reason for the parkways was to give preferential treatment to a certain class of traffic–and many paragraphs have been written on whether that privileged class is something as innocent as pleasure traffic bound for the Moses state parks, or something more nefariously motivated.

The progenitor of the NYS parkways was the Long Island Motor Parkway, which was originally built as a private sporting facility and later served as a toll facility (priced at a premium for its day, to say nothing of the comparative rarity of motor vehicles before the 1920s). At around the same time, the Bronx River Parkway was developed in Westchester County, for the express purpose of preserving and appreciating the natural landscape of the Bronx River itself. Perhaps more than any other parkway, the Bronx River Parkways still serves much of its recreational function today, even so far as being closed to traffic at regular intervals for the exclusive enjoyment of bicyclists.

After that, of course, the system was greatly expanded as a network of roadways providing access to the state parks on Long Island and in the Hudson Valley; so, from its earliest days, the parkway system was conceived and built to suit the recreational needs of the motorist. Keep in mind, too, that motoring itself was largely a recreational pursuit in the early 20th century; not until the great post-war suburbanization boom did the parkways begin to see widespread use as commuter corridors while the dominance of trains and streetcars waned.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on April 12, 2018, 07:49:27 PM
I mean, my dad's stepfather was pulled over on one of the parkways in the 80s for having a box of catalogs for his used book store on the back seat. Using the parkway for commercial purposes. So if they're gonna be that strict, they can pull over anyone delivering anything.
How does one even NOTICE the catalogs at speed?

GenExpwy

Wouldn't the Google Street View camera car be considered a "commercial vehicle" ?

And might the camera have trouble fitting under a Parkway bridge?

Buffaboy

This was actually a thing?

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

seicer

Yes - part of what I uncovered just briefly searching newspapers. Those were early routes on paper - nothing concrete. But I see that the Niagara Thruway got rerouted from what was (and still is) Buffalo's most vibrant and diverse neighborhood thankfully.

D-Dey65

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but in December 2005 I went to Long Island just before a blizzard hit the area, and after it was over, I rented a Ford Expedition as my rental car. Because the Expedition shares it's body with the F-150, I refused to bring it on any of the parkways, even though it would've been perfectly legal.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind driving a 4WD pickup with an extended cab, an aftermarket sleeper cab, and a bicycle rack in the back with some bikes, and brining that on the parkway, but I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.

As for something like an antique Chevrolet Sedan Delivery, I'd probably have to flip a coin over whether I could drive that there.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1957_Chevrolet_Sedan_Delivery_(5073185199).jpg

Duke87

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 13, 2018, 03:10:21 AM
And might the camera have trouble fitting under a Parkway bridge?

Eh, I wouldn't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. I followed that vehicle's steps back - it got on the Southern State at exit 21 after having made a left off Nassau Rd. Imagery from the same vehicle is intermittently present on Nassau Rd as far back as Greenfield Cemetery, although I cannot find any further back than that. The camera is equally askew though all this. So, who knows what actually broke it, but it was definitely broken before it got on the parkway (it could have been broken on a previous drive on a parkway, sure).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2018, 12:34:23 AM
Quote from: cl94 on April 12, 2018, 07:49:27 PM
How does one even NOTICE the catalogs at speed?

Yeah, I'd be skeptical (or perhaps "curious" is a better word) without some additional context as to how that happened...

Michael

I just posted this in the "Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView" thread:
Quote from: Michael on April 20, 2018, 10:38:25 AM
Here's something I've never seen in Street View before!  I just stumbled on a few trailers of new BGSes in a parking lot on NY 80 just off of I-81 in Tully waiting to be installed.

kalvado

Did anyone else notice yellow license plates starting to give way? I saw maybe 6 peeled off plates within past two days, mostly Fxx- series.
Didn't last a full decade...
With more and more AET facilities being introduced, this may become an interesting way of avoiding toll..

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on April 20, 2018, 11:33:34 AM
Did anyone else notice yellow license plates starting to give way? I saw maybe 6 peeled off plates within past two days, mostly Fxx- series.
With more and more AET facilities being introduced, this may become an interesting way of avoiding toll..
No, in New Jersey the yellow plates are all going slowly in the left lane, not giving way.

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2018, 04:12:08 PM
No, in New Jersey the yellow plates are all going slowly in the left lane, not giving way.
Yeah, over here you can tell NJ cars by the wake turbulence they leave behind as they try to get airborne....

webny99

This is mostly thanks to Delta Sonic, at least around here, but I dont think it's specific to yellow plates. I believe unreadable plates are a ticketable offense... but I'd be less than happy about a ticket when the peeling was caused by a third party.

:rofl: Only problem is that NY and NJ plates are both yellow now... so works both ways  :-P

baugh17

The issue with the peeling plates was discovered a couple of years after the 2010 design was released, so it didn't shock me to see many F-series plates starting to peel after a few years.  I don't think the issue was corrected until the G-series was reached.

Meanwhile, my 13 year old D-series plate is still holding up nicely.

Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2018, 08:41:36 PM

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on April 20, 2018, 04:26:14 PM
Yeah, over here you can tell NJ cars by the wake turbulence they leave behind as they try to get airborne....
Someone stole my runway on the ride home. D:

Buffaboy

Yes actually, I saw a car with this today. I thought it was snow or something but that's impossible.

Very disappointing.

Rothman

I have seen a lot of E** blue and whites with a decent amount of peeling (including one of my relatives).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2018, 02:30:10 PM
I have seen a lot of E** blue and whites with a decent amount of peeling (including one of my relatives).
There were quite a bit of complains about white plates peeling off; I believe that was related to different film manufacturers. Some of E series - but not all - are prone to peeling;  and actually my ED- is holding very well.
But now  I do see problems with yellow ones - which didn't get any complains before. And it is almost like someone turned a switch, none in a while -then quite a few in a month or so, as far as I can tell.

Jim

Our two ELR-xxxx plates issued late 2008 both peeled away completely a few years ago.  The yellow replacements GZM-xxxx replacements have made it through their first few winters looking good.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

seicer

Was on I-88 Saturday and could not believe how awful the pavement has gotten in just a year's time near Worcester and Richmondville: Video. Most of the traffic was riding in the left lane, which is where I also camped out in after a quick video. Will this section be on the list for rehab this year?

Another section that was most recently rehabbed, from Central Bridge east to Duanesburg (north end) is also failing after being completed just late last year. Most of the joints have reappeared in the asphalt and potholes are already forming. What differs from this rehab from others along I-88 that are in excellent condition?

cl94

Quote from: seicer on April 30, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
Was on I-88 Saturday and could not believe how awful the pavement has gotten in just a year's time near Worcester and Richmondville: Video. Most of the traffic was riding in the left lane, which is where I also camped out in after a quick video. Will this section be on the list for rehab this year?

Another section that was most recently rehabbed, from Central Bridge east to Duanesburg (north end) is also failing after being completed just late last year. Most of the joints have reappeared in the asphalt and potholes are already forming. What differs from this rehab from others along I-88 that are in excellent condition?

Cobleskill-Schenectady County was a single-course overlay. The others were full-depth reconstructions. The freeze-thaw cycle of this winter did a number to a lot of the overlays in the northeast.

The worst section of I-88 is being reconstructed in 2020-21.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.