News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: steviep24 on June 13, 2015, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 13, 2015, 05:07:34 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 13, 2015, 11:55:41 AM
Buffaboy:  when you said " these style of lights" earlier, are you referring to the doghouse signals or the mast arms?

I meant both the signals and arms. From my experience there aren't many in Region 5 nor are there many in Region 3. Most are string lights. I know Cleveland has switched many of their lights over, but I can't tell if there's an advantage over the standard.

This website has an interesting overview of lights by state.
I really thought you were talking about the use of back plates on the lights. Those are rather uncommon in NY.

Mast arms are very common here in the Rochester area mainly because that is the standard for signals owned by Monroe County since the '90's. County owned signals on span wire are over 20 years old. However, NYSDOT signals are still mostly span wire for new signals but plenty of mast arms here too for their signals.

I also thought backplates. Mast arms are not uncommon in several NYSDOT regions. Northern parts of Region 1 (Warren, Washington, Essex Counties) have had several for some time. They are quite common in Nassau County. Buffalo has a lot of mast arm NYSDOT signals in the downtown area.

If we're talking about local municipalities, Buffalo, New York, Nassau County, and Glens Falls, among many others, use mostly mast arms. New NYSDOT assemblies in Region 5 are mast arms and have been since at least 2012. From what I can tell by plans, this is the case in several other regions. Additionally, reflective backplates are now standard for NYSDOT assemblies (including beacons), at least in R4 and R5.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

After thinking about it, I actually did mean back plates. The mast arms aren't common but they aren't uncommon AFAIK. Especially in villages or at busy off-ramps.

Back plates on the other hand, the two I posted on the previous page and at Milestrip Road and the 219 are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cu2010

R7 seems to have adopted them as the current standard as well. Lots more mast arms in the area...though they're still fairly uncommon, since R7 is notoriously slow at replacing things.

On the topic of R7, a few other notes of interest:

-Franklin County, after only posting little green signs on its county routes for years, is now using the standard blue pentagon...very few of the old green signs remain. This appears to have been done within the past month...

-On a similar note, NY374 is no longer signed north of Chateaugay...it is now signed only as CR52. That section has been maintained by Franklin County since 1980. I'd imagine the change was made at the same time the pentagon was adopted for county routes. Of course, NY374 is the same road that runs through Dannemora, which has been all over the news lately...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 13, 2015, 06:50:01 PM
After thinking about it, I actually did mean back plates. The mast arms aren't common but they aren't uncommon AFAIK. Especially in villages or at busy off-ramps.

Back plates on the other hand, the two I posted on the previous page and at Milestrip Road and the 219 are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

There are a decent amount of backplates in the region. Partial list follows:

*US 20 at Townline Rd, Lancaster/Alden
*US 20 at Three Rod Rd/Sandridge Rd, Alden
*NY 325 at DuPont plant, Tonawanda
*NY 325 at Kenmore Ave, Tonawanda
*NY 384 at I-190, Niagara Falls
*US 62 at Melody Ln, North Tonawanda
*NY 263 at Crosspoint Pkwy, Amherst
*NY 78 at Olmsted Ave, Depew

I know I've seen others elsewhere, but that's all I can immediately think of.

Genesee County (in R4) also has a few installations with backplates, including 2 along US 20. One of these (a beacon in Bethany) has reflective backplates.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

The new intersection lights at Fries Road & Parkhurst on Brighton Road (Erie CR 196) in Tonawanda, are backplated.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

steviep24

Quote from: cl94 on June 13, 2015, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 13, 2015, 06:50:01 PM

There are a decent amount of backplates in the region. Partial list follows:

*US 20 at Townline Rd, Lancaster/Alden
*US 20 at Three Rod Rd/Sandridge Rd, Alden
*NY 325 at DuPont plant, Tonawanda
*NY 325 at Kenmore Ave, Tonawanda
*NY 384 at I-190, Niagara Falls
*US 62 at Melody Ln, North Tonawanda
*NY 263 at Crosspoint Pkwy, Amherst
*NY 78 at Olmsted Ave, Depew

I know I've seen others elsewhere, but that's all I can immediately think of.

Genesee County (in R4) also has a few installations with backplates, including 2 along US 20. One of these (a beacon in Bethany) has reflective backplates.
Signals with backplates in Monroe Co. that I know of.

I 590 at Winton Rd. diverging diamond interchange.
Winton Rd at French Rd. (owned by Monroe County but was installed along with the diverging diamond signals).
Winton Rd at Cambridge Place. (another county owned signal that was installed as part of the diverging diamond project.)
NY 441 at Five Mile Line Rd. (this is a box span installation.)
I 590 at NY 31 (These were installed a few months ago. Also, the signal for WB 31 at 590 has a FYA left turn signal.)
NY 33 at Rellim Blvd./Gates Town Hall.
NY 33 at Wegman Rd. (Installed within the past few weeks.)
NY 33 at the Home Depot/Movie Theatre Entrance. (Also installed within the past few weeks.)
NY 33 at Pixley Rd. (This one is being installed as part of the same project as the other two new signals on 33. This looks like it will be a diagonal span wire set up though but will most likely have backplates as well. Temporary signals are currently in place installed on new permanent strain poles.)

There are probably others.

Also, in Ontario County:

NY 96 at the I 490/NYS Thruway offramp.

empirestate

Quote from: steviep24 on June 13, 2015, 10:29:35 PM
NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

Ah, you mean right there in front of Tops.  :spin:

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on June 14, 2015, 12:18:23 AM
NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

"Tops never mops, look at their floors..."  :awesomeface:

Buffaboy

NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

Just checked the map, that's pretty hilarious.

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2015, 12:20:21 AM
NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

Wegmans: Every day you get depressed.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

steviep24

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 14, 2015, 12:20:57 AM
NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

Just checked the map, that's pretty hilarious.

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2015, 12:20:21 AM
NY 33 at Wegman Rd.

Wegmans: Every day you get depressed.
Good ones guys!  :)

UPDATE: Just went by there this morning. That intersection has temporary signals on the mast arms mixed with permanent ones with reflective backplates. NY 33/Buffalo Rd. is being widened in this area.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

A few things:

* US 62 has been dieted in Hamburg. Except for a short section around US 20, US 62 is now 3 lanes with parking between the Village of Hamburg and NY 179

* Lots of work going on in Lewiston. NY 265 remains closed across the dam and the new bridges at the dam for I-190 and NY 265 are nearing completion. Approach to the Lewiston-Queenston bridge is being rebuilt and, as of now, it appears to have a concrete wearing surface.

* North Grand Island Bridge SB span is being redecked overnight. Starting at the south end and moving north. Quite the bumpy ride right now.

* All button copy advance signage for I-190 Exit 21 has been replaced. This is within the past couple of months. Only 2 button copy signs remain on I-190 and they are both on the NB side immediately before the North Grand Island Bridge.

* Region 5 has been replacing shields quite aggressively. Many reassurance shields on DOT-maintained portions of I-190 and I-290 have been replaced with Series C, as have some trailblazers at interchanges, notably around I-190 Exit 23 in Niagara Falls.

Buffaboy

I have yet to file my small claims form for the crack in my window caused by the 62 diet. Is there a deadline for those?

Buffaboy

QuoteThe New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) will host public information meetings to discuss plans for a future safety improvement project on Route 5S in the City of Utica, Oneida County.

Two sessions will be held on Thursday, June 25, 2015 at the Utica State Office Building, 1st floor conference room, located at 207 Genesee Street, Utica, New York. The first session will be from 2 p.m. — 4 p.m. and the second session will be from 6 p.m — 8 p.m.

The project is located on Route 5S from Broad Street to Cornelia Street and is currently in the early stages of development. The purpose of the meetings is to provide the public, local businesses and elected officials with information regarding the project and to give everyone an opportunity to comment on the proposed project.

http://www.wktv.com/news/DOT_to_host_public_information_meetings_to_discuss_Route_5s_project.html

My Utica people, this needs to happen...

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 19, 2015, 01:55:51 PM

There are people in Utica?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

Quote from: Rothman on June 19, 2015, 02:59:22 PM

Having spent a year there, they are some of the friendliest I've met...

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 19, 2015, 04:31:58 PM

I have a friend from there.  He said recently the best ticket in town was watching buildings get demolished. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on June 19, 2015, 05:27:24 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 19, 2015, 04:31:58 PM

I have a friend from there.  He said recently the best ticket in town was watching buildings get demolished. :D

Sounds like Niagara Falls (the American side, of course). Canadian side is awesome, but the American side is New York's Detroit.

02 Park Ave

Is there a Wegman's in Niagra Falls?
C-o-H

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 19, 2015, 10:11:49 PM

Closest is on Military Road (NY 265)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 19, 2015, 10:24:50 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 19, 2015, 10:11:49 PM

Closest is on Military Road (NY 265)

And it's a dump. Walmart across the street is actually nicer.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dougtone

More scenic byways coming up on the docket, this time in the Catskills. Portions of NY 28 in Ulster and Delaware Counties and NY 42 and NY 212 in Ulster County will make up the Catskill Mountains Scenic Byway, as approved by the NYS Legislature today.

http://www.watershedpost.com/2015/legislature-approves-catskill-mountains-scenic-byway

Dougtone

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on June 25, 2015, 02:25:48 PM
A glimpse into the possible future of I-787...

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2015/06/25/four-takeaways-from-the-kickoff-for-the-study-abou

It won't go away unless there's a replacement, whether it be a tunnel, major widening/upgrades to existing facilities, and/or a new route on a new alignment. We're talking about a road with an AADT nearing 100,000 and much of that volume is concentrated into a couple of peak times. The MPO knows that. I'm convinced the main purpose of the study is to show the public what would happen if it came down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.