News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Time for a thread split, perhaps, for the Scajaquada discussion?

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2015, 11:54:12 AM

iPhone

Agree completely. Definitely deserves its own thread.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

iPhone

Same here, this issue is only going to grow bigger and get uglier IMO.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Zeffy

iPhone

Done! Discussion split to https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15925.0 . Please continue discussion on the Scajaquada Expressway in that thread. (And please ignore the spelling errors on the title in most of the split posts, I typed it wrong when splitting  :ded: )

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Buffaboy

Housekeeping note, Google Maps now has updated imagery of the Utica area. I was surprised as I was rolling over it when I saw the new arterial bridges. The area is looking good and decrepit at the same time.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Dougtone

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times editorial: Limiting Uber Won't End Congestion

QuoteAnybody who spends time in a car or bus in Manhattan knows that traffic congestion isn't getting better and, indeed, may be getting worse. The average daytime speed of cars in Manhattan's business districts has fallen to just under 8 miles per hour this year, from about 9.15 miles per hour in 2009.

QuoteCity officials say that car services like Uber and Lyft are partly to blame. So Mayor Bill de Blasio is proposing to cap their growth, at least temporarily. It's a bad idea. There are smarter ways to reduce congestion.

QuoteThe New York City Council could soon take up Mr. de Blasio's solution, which is to cap the number of cars that companies like Uber can add for up to a year while the city studies the issue. Uber is pushing back forcefully, accusing the mayor of catering to the entrenched taxi interests that supported his campaign for mayor. The company's smaller competitors like Lyft are worried the proposal would simply entrench Uber's dominance.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

machias

Oneida County Route 34 / Marcy-SUNYIT Parkway has apparently been renamed Marcy-SUNY Parkway. Crews have been covering up the "IT" on signs all along the route with tape that matches the green background of the sign really well.

The guide panels for the interchange with NY Route 49 have not been updated yet. I'm curious to see if the new overhead signs going up in the area will include the "IT" or not, requiring modification after installation.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 22, 2015, 09:07:06 AM
Oneida County Route 34 / Marcy-SUNYIT Parkway has apparently been renamed Marcy-SUNY Parkway. Crews have been covering up the "IT" on signs all along the route with tape that matches the green background of the sign really well.

The guide panels for the interchange with NY Route 49 have not been updated yet. I'm curious to see if the new overhead signs going up in the area will include the "IT" or not, requiring modification after installation.

Why not Poly? Too long I guess.

cl94

Region 5 is changing reference markers again. NY 263 got new reference markers this week. Formerly, the section that bypassed UB was marked as the mileage plus 10, with RMs containing the mileage via the original aligment picking up again at North Forest Road. Mileage was redone for the entire section north of Flint Road, with all RMs north of there showing actual mileage via the current alignment. As we all know, reference markers are never supposed to change, even if a new alignment is opened or the route number changes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on July 22, 2015, 11:16:51 AM
Region 5 is changing reference markers again. NY 263 got new reference markers this week. Formerly, the section that bypassed UB was marked as the mileage plus 10, with RMs containing the mileage via the original aligment picking up again at North Forest Road. Mileage was redone for the entire section north of Flint Road, with all RMs north of there showing actual mileage via the current alignment. As we all know, reference markers are never supposed to change, even if a new alignment is opened or the route number changes.

Well, at least this is still there for pre-re-alignment NY 263:

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dougtone

The new I-81 southbound bridge as part of the Prospect Mountain Interchange reconstruction project in Binghamton is now open. This is part of the NY 17 (future I-86) construction.

Related press release: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-opening-i-81-southbound-bridge-over-chenango-river

SCH-I545

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 22, 2015, 12:00:55 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 22, 2015, 11:16:51 AM

Well, at least this is still there for pre-re-alignment NY 263:

First question; What's that sign underneath the "Do Not Enter" sign there? And another OT one; Did NYSDOT get rid of the westernmost gas station along the Belt Parkway? Because I was looking for that and with or without the misdirection of Google Maps, I couldn't find it.

cl94

SERVICE ROAD ONLY
NO EXIT

Lot of old and weird stuff in that area.

Rothman

Quote from: Dougtone on July 23, 2015, 04:11:27 PM
The new I-81 southbound bridge as part of the Prospect Mountain Interchange reconstruction project in Binghamton is now open. This is part of the NY 17 (future I-86) construction.

Related press release: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-opening-i-81-southbound-bridge-over-chenango-river

SCH-I545

We'll see what happens with Phase 2 (the next project they mention).  Glad to see that they got the cost right. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on July 23, 2015, 04:49:19 PM
SERVICE ROAD ONLY
NO EXIT

Lot of old and weird stuff in that area.
Yes, I do notice that about Upstate New York.

Bumppoman

Lots of signs going up in the Binghamton area for I-86, not greened out either.  All of the new BGS assemblies so far are in the southbound/eastbound direction, and indicate I-81 south, I-86 east, and NY-17 east, in that order.  Additionally, new directional signs were mounted this week at the intersection of US-11 and Prospect St., and along the length of Prospect St., indicating the way toward the soon-to-be-opened new exit 72 onramp to I-86 west and NY-17 west.

This leads me to believe that once the new ramp from I-81 south to NY-17 west is opened, they might unveil the signs in Tioga County I reported on previously (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1487.msg2026362#msg2026362) and I-86 will extend from Erie to Windsor, NY.

vdeane

I was theorizing that as well.  There was a small project to work on the acceleration/deceleration lanes in Tioga County; other than that, I can't think of anything that was needed between Chemung and Kamikaze Curve.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Given the multitude of 86 shields in Sullivan and Orange counties that have been present uncovered for years, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever is going up in Binghamton is just following the same pattern. NYSDOT has gotten sick of waiting for AASHTO and is just putting up signs when they feel like it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2015, 12:54:59 PM
I was theorizing that as well.  There was a small project to work on the acceleration/deceleration lanes in Tioga County; other than that, I can't think of anything that was needed between Chemung and Kamikaze Curve.

My former boss was part of the overall NY 17/I-86 conversion project when it was being semi-funded through centralized means (and then gradually, NYSDOT realized that it wasn't going to happen and sent funds elsewhere for the most part outside a few key projects of which Elmira to Chemung was one and Prospect Mountain was another).  He had a map of all the projects that needed to be done along it for the conversion.

I didn't copy it before he transferred units.   :no:

I'm surprised designation is coming before Phase II of Prospect Mountain.  Phase I actually was to leave the site a little less safe than it was to begin with -- just to set up Phase II to do the other big lift of the project and achieve the expected benefits (and also why Phase II is starting so soon after Phase I).  So, that's why I'm scratching my head over why designation now rather than later.

froggie

QuoteNYSDOT has gotten sick of waiting for AASHTO and is just putting up signs when they feel like it.

It's not AASHTO...it's FHWA.  And FHWA could easily smack NYSDOT back if they're signing an Interstate route without authorization.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2015, 10:41:34 AM
QuoteNYSDOT has gotten sick of waiting for AASHTO and is just putting up signs when they feel like it.

It's not AASHTO...it's FHWA.  And FHWA could easily smack NYSDOT back if they're signing an Interstate route without authorization.

There's no way NYSDOT is putting up I-86 signs without authorization from FHWA.

cl94

The shields on the Quickway were covered when installed, but the covers fell off of some. Everything will probably be covered. Shields have been in place in several (undesignated) areas east of Waverly for years.

Dougtone

Here's a press release about the NY 347 reconstruction on Long Island.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-56-million-improvements-along-route-347-long-island

I actually grew up down the street from NY 347 during the 1980s and 1990s. There was discussion on how to reconstruct the highway even back then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.