News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

It's time for US 20 in Albany, NY to buy new pants, as it is going on a road diet. The road diet would be for part of the Madison Avenue section of US 20 within Albany city limits.

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2015/07/30/options-for-madison-ave-road-diet-albany

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Dougtone on July 30, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
Here's a press release about the NY 347 reconstruction on Long Island.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-56-million-improvements-along-route-347-long-island

I actually grew up down the street from NY 347 during the 1980s and 1990s. There was discussion on how to reconstruct the highway even back then.

They spent all that money to put in a bike path noone uses. I used to travel up and down that road weekly to Lake Grove I don't recall seeing anyone using the bike path, with the occasional person using it like a sidewalk. The new section has narrower lanes and a lower speed limit where clearly there was nothing wrong with the 55mph limit that was there before. They should have made it like those freeways in Jersey where theres stuff on the side of the road but they still have proper interchanges.

Dougtone

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 30, 2015, 04:25:36 PM

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-56-million-improvements-along-route-347-long-island

I actually grew up down the street from NY 347 during the 1980s and 1990s. There was discussion on how to reconstruct the highway even back then.

They spent all that money to put in a bike path noone uses. I used to travel up and down that road weekly to Lake Grove I don't recall seeing anyone using the bike path, with the occasional person using it like a sidewalk. The new section has narrower lanes and a lower speed limit where clearly there was nothing wrong with the 55mph limit that was there before. They should have made it like those freeways in Jersey where theres stuff on the side of the road but they still have proper interchanges.
I have to agree that redesigning NY 347 as a Jersey freeway would have been the way to go, as opposed to the highway design being inspired by Queens Boulevard and being passed off as an "urban greenway".

I've moved away from Long Island some time ago, but I never saw NY 347 as bicycle friendly.

mariethefoxy

I've moved away from Long Island some time ago,

You're a lucky man, I cant stand it here.

empirestate

Quote from: Dougtone on July 30, 2015, 04:32:26 PM

I have to agree that redesigning NY 347 as a Jersey freeway would have been the way to go, as opposed to the highway design being inspired by Queens Boulevard and being passed off as an "urban greenway".

I've moved away from Long Island some time ago, but I never saw NY 347 as bicycle friendly.

Part of the problem, of course, is that in the local culture, one thing you cannot do is instruct people how and where to walk, stand or ride, as they will do so where they are most comfortable. For example, when a park in my Bronx neighborhood was rehabilitated, they installed both a hard-surfaced path for pedestrian traffic (and bicycles, where there isn't an adjacent street), and a cinder jogging track parallel to it. But almost universally, if you see both pedestrians and joggers present, the pedestrians will be using the jogging track and the joggers will be on the hard-surfaced path.

How this related to NY 347, I guess, is that if people don't see it as a bicycle route, they won't use it as one; and if they do, they're as likely to ride in the roadway as to use a bicycle path, especially if it has pedestrians obstructing it (which isn't at all surprising).

D-Dey65

Hey, NYSDOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Rothman

NY 347:  The Gift that Keeps on Giving to LICA.

(emphasized personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dougtone

Quote from: empirestate on July 30, 2015, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on July 30, 2015, 04:32:26 PM

Part of the problem, of course, is that in the local culture, one thing you cannot do is instruct people how and where to walk, stand or ride, as they will do so where they are most comfortable. For example, when a park in my Bronx neighborhood was rehabilitated, they installed both a hard-surfaced path for pedestrian traffic (and bicycles, where there isn't an adjacent street), and a cinder jogging track parallel to it. But almost universally, if you see both pedestrians and joggers present, the pedestrians will be using the jogging track and the joggers will be on the hard-surfaced path.

How this related to NY 347, I guess, is that if people don't see it as a bicycle route, they won't use it as one; and if they do, they're as likely to ride in the roadway as to use a bicycle path, especially if it has pedestrians obstructing it (which isn't at all surprising).
Considering that NY 347 is still a higher speed corridor that goes through a mix of suburban neighborhoods and shopping centers, I don't envision that many people using the highway as a bike route. However, there's been a bit of a cultural shift towards bicycle transportation, so I could be wrong.

SCH-I545

Buffaboy

I was travelling around the Buffalo area, and I made observations that are giving me questions:

• Why are the Grand Island bridges always backed up?
  • What is the GIB construction project for?
  • Will the Robert Moses parkway be reduced to 35 MPH in its entirety?
  • Will anything ever be done to the stub of the Lasalle Expressway?

Also, why are boulevards and parkways now the trend?

Thanks.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 31, 2015, 03:24:50 PM
I was travelling around the Buffalo area, and I made observations that are giving me questions:

Thanks.

As the resident transportation person in my circle, I feel like I'm always answering the first 2 questions here.

1. Volume and tolls. I don't have enough data (namely PHVs and truck percentages) to calculate capacity, but I know it's at jam density just because there aren't enough lanes. Actual 2011 count was 70,788 on the South Grand Island Bridge, with the NB side having 4 more vehicles than the SB side. I don't need PHVs to tell you that if traffic follows a standard pattern, a 4-lane expressway with an AADT of 71K will have issues. Tolls reduce capacity greatly because everyone needs to slow down, but problems would exist even without the tolls.

2. Redecking. SB side of the South Grand Island Bridge was redecked a couple of years ago. They're extending the life another 20-30 years so they can actually fund a replacement. A replacement will almost certainly be constructed before it has to be redecked again. Same reason the Tappan Zee Bridge was redecked a few years ago even though its replacement has been on the books for a while.

3. Doubtful, especially not the section north of Lewiston.

4. Doubtful. No reason to. Projected AADT at the ET in 2013 was around 11K and I know it isn't all at once. ET functions well as it is with no delays due to low volumes. When it comes time for the bridges to be reconstructed, we might see it lowered to grade, but until then, no reason to waste money on a little-used highway.

5. Boulevards calm traffic and can help to prevent collisions. The oft-hated raised median on NY 5 near the SUNY Buffalo campus was installed because people in Buffalo are known to use center turn lanes as suicide lanes, especially at that location.

Parkways are another story. This is a parkway. Parkways have fallen out of fashion.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on July 31, 2015, 04:58:26 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on July 31, 2015, 03:24:50 PM

Thanks.

As the resident transportation person in my circle, I feel like I'm always answering the first 2 questions here.

1. Volume and tolls. I don't have enough data (namely PHVs and truck percentages) to calculate capacity, but I know it's at jam density just because there aren't enough lanes. Actual 2011 count was 70,788 on the South Grand Island Bridge, with the NB side having 4 more vehicles than the SB side. I don't need PHVs to tell you that if traffic follows a standard pattern, a 4-lane expressway with an AADT of 71K will have issues. Tolls reduce capacity greatly because everyone needs to slow down, but problems would exist even without the tolls.

2. Redecking. SB side of the South Grand Island Bridge was redecked a couple of years ago. They're extending the life another 20-30 years so they can actually fund a replacement. A replacement will almost certainly be constructed before it has to be redecked again. Same reason the Tappan Zee Bridge was redecked a few years ago even though its replacement has been on the books for a while.

3. Doubtful, especially not the section north of Lewiston.

4. Doubtful. No reason to. Projected AADT at the ET in 2013 was around 11K and I know it isn't all at once. ET functions well as it is with no delays due to low volumes. When it comes time for the bridges to be reconstructed, we might see it lowered to grade, but until then, no reason to waste money on a little-used highway.

5. Boulevards calm traffic and can help to prevent collisions. The oft-hated raised median on NY 5 near the SUNY Buffalo campus was installed because people in Buffalo are known to use center turn lanes as suicide lanes, especially at that location.

Parkways are another story. This is a parkway. Parkways have fallen out of fashion.

Thanks for taking the time to create such a succinct explanation, I have no more question.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

okc1

"Robust" funding may be returning to NYSDOT in exchange for state spending to cover MTA deficits, per Gov Cuomo.
http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/239193/cuomo-upstate-will-gets-its-infrastructure-bucks-to-balance-mta/
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Rothman

Quote from: okc1 on August 01, 2015, 10:46:09 AM
"Robust" funding may be returning to NYSDOT in exchange for state spending to cover MTA deficits, per Gov Cuomo.
http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/239193/cuomo-upstate-will-gets-its-infrastructure-bucks-to-balance-mta/

The word on the street is that this is may be all just talk when it comes down to it.  I heard from a source that the New York State Department of Budget is arguing that upstate transportation dollars should also take into account the Thruway, Bridge Authority and others on top of NYSDOT and therefore upstate NY already has close to funding parity with the MTA.  In other words, DOB is saying "Um...the coffers are dry...where do you think this money is coming from?"

Like I said, just something that I heard.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

Well superficially that seems like good news. I wonder what this would entail? I would like to see the non-tolled portions of the Thruway in Buffalo widened to 8 lanes and a redesigned Exit 51. Still as I suggested, I will believe it when I see it.

Revive 755

That looks more like a freeway that is just being called a parkway. This is a better example of parkway.

cl94

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 01, 2015, 11:59:47 AM

That looks more like a freeway that is just being called a parkway. This is a better example of parkway.

As far as New York is concerned, a parkway is nothing more than a freeway that bans trucks. As the peraob who asked the question is, judging by context, likely referring to something within the state, the New York definition applies.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on August 01, 2015, 01:55:48 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 01, 2015, 11:59:47 AM

As far as New York is concerned, a parkway is nothing more than a freeway that bans trucks. As the peraob who asked the question is, judging by context, likely referring to something within the state, the New York definition applies.

It's not so much a definition, it's just that what were originally built in NY as truly recreational parkways have, over the years, undergone so much enlargement and reconfiguration that they no longer resemble their intended designs.

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 01, 2015, 10:54:09 AM
Well superficially that seems like good news. I wonder what this would entail? I would like to see the non-tolled portions of the Thruway in Buffalo widened to 8 lanes and a redesigned Exit 51. Still as I suggested, I will believe it when I see it.

Don't get your hopes up. There's going to be a very minor widening project east of Exit 51 next year, but that's about it, besides a couple of bridge replacements. Right now, they're in short-term mode to get everything to LOS D if improvements can be done cheaply, at least in Buffalo. Everything goes through the MPO and I know there is nothing even in the planning stages because it's that far out. We're probably talking 10+ years until anything substantial begins to happen. Thing opened 60+ years ago, so the limited funds are being sent to replace the bridges and implement AET.

Quote from: Rothman on August 01, 2015, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: okc1 on August 01, 2015, 10:46:09 AM

The word on the street is that this is may be all just talk when it comes down to it.  I heard from a source that the New York State Department of Budget is arguing that upstate transportation dollars should also take into account the Thruway, Bridge Authority and others on top of NYSDOT and therefore upstate NY already has close to funding parity with the MTA.  In other words, DOB is saying "Um...the coffers are dry...where do you think this money is coming from?"

Like I said, just something that I heard.

That's what I've heard on my end.

D-Dey65

Regarding my second question when I asked about that sign on NY 263; Did NYSDOT get rid of the westernmost gas station along the Belt Parkway? Because I was looking for that and with or without the misdirection of Google Maps, I couldn't find it.

noelbotevera

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 05, 2015, 08:29:32 AM
Regarding my second question when I asked about that sign on NY 263; Did NYSDOT get rid of the westernmost gas station along the Belt Parkway? Because I was looking for that and with or without the misdirection of Google Maps, I couldn't find it.
Still there as of June 25th, 2015, because that's when I last visited New York. I don't know if you mean the one between exits 10 and 11.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

D-Dey65

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 05, 2015, 09:54:18 AM
Still there as of June 25th, 2015, because that's when I last visited New York. I don't know if you mean the one between exits 10 and 11.
No, I meant between the Verrazano—Narrows Bridge and the last exit with the Gowanus Expressway in Sunset Park.

storm2k

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 05, 2015, 06:17:16 PM
No, I meant between the Verrazano—Narrows Bridge and the last exit with the Gowanus Expressway in Sunset Park.

I don't think there was ever a gas station on the Belt other than the one by Exits 10-11. Steve Anderson's nycroads site only mentions that gas station. Given that the Belt is basically shoved between a park and the water past the Verrazano until it reaches the Gowanus, I don't see where they would have put a gas station.

cl94

Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2015, 09:39:37 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 05, 2015, 06:17:16 PM

I don't think there was ever a gas station on the Belt other than the one by Exits 10-11. Steve Anderson's nycroads site only mentions that gas station. Given that the Belt is basically shoved between a park and the water past the Verrazano until it reaches the Gowanus, I don't see where they would have put a gas station.

Unless that parking area just north of the Verrazano once had a gas station

SignBridge

Yes, I think there once was a gas station on the eastbound side north of the Verrazano Bridge. I'm talking circa 1970. I only remember it 'cause I think I stopped there to make a phone call back then.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on August 05, 2015, 10:21:41 PM
Yes, I think there once was a gas station on the eastbound side north of the Verrazano Bridge. I'm talking circa 1970. I only remember it 'cause I think I stopped there to make a phone call back then.

Confirmed. At 88th and 91st Streets. Both were quite small. Only sign of the EB one from the parkway is a shoulder, while the WB one also has old utility poles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.