News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Dougtone on July 30, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
Here's a press release about the NY 347 reconstruction on Long Island.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-56-million-improvements-along-route-347-long-island

I actually grew up down the street from NY 347 during the 1980s and 1990s. There was discussion on how to reconstruct the highway even back then.
I remember that. I've also mentioned this before but I once knew of an attractive girl who seemed to have a crush on me, until she found out I wanted those upgrades. She lived a whopping mile away from the road, and she thought the proposed service roads would somehow take her house.

Refresh my memory; When did you move away from Long Island?

Dougtone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 12, 2015, 05:20:56 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on July 30, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
Here's a press release about the NY 347 reconstruction on Long Island.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-56-million-improvements-along-route-347-long-island

I actually grew up down the street from NY 347 during the 1980s and 1990s. There was discussion on how to reconstruct the highway even back then.
I remember that. I've also mentioned this before but I once knew of an attractive girl who seemed to have a crush on me, until she found out I wanted those upgrades. She lived a whopping mile away from the road, and she thought the proposed service roads would somehow take her house.

Refresh my memory; When did you move away from Long Island?
I usually pin the time I left LI as August 1998, but I was in college between then and 2002, so I left for good in 2002.

SCH-I545

Dougtone

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2015/08/13/thinking-about-the-direction-of-central-ave

Not yet a proposal, there is now talk of NY 5 in Albany (Central Avenue to the local contingent) of undergoing a road diet.

Rothman

Quote from: Dougtone on August 13, 2015, 02:51:02 PM
http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2015/08/13/thinking-about-the-direction-of-central-ave
Light rail?

*facedesk*

I remember when John Poorman at CDTC went around touting the "largest traffic signal synchronization project in the country" -- his idea of getting the signals timed from Albany to Schenectady so you could drive down Central without stops.

Never happened.  Neither will this.
Not yet a proposal, there is now talk of NY 5 in Albany (Central Avenue to the local contingent) of undergoing a road diet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

West of Clinton Ave, there's too much traffic, though converting from 5 lane undivided to 4 lane divided would help (so would getting rid of the too-many driveways and traffic signals along that stretch).  But east of Clinton Ave/Manning Blvd, traffic volumes drop below 20K so a road diet east of that point is possible/feasible.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2015, 10:04:04 AM
West of Clinton Ave, there's too much traffic, though converting from 5 lane undivided to 4 lane divided would help (so would getting rid of the too-many driveways and traffic signals along that stretch).  But east of Clinton Ave/Manning Blvd, traffic volumes drop below 20K so a road diet east of that point is possible/feasible.

I agree with you about the traffic signals -- the Capital District simply has too many in general.  However, I'm scratching my head about getting rid of the suicide lane.  It's too vital.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on August 14, 2015, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2015, 10:04:04 AM

I agree with you about the traffic signals -- the Capital District simply has too many in general.  However, I'm scratching my head about getting rid of the suicide lane.  It's too vital.

That's not a location where I'd say to get rid of the suicide lane. Turn lane is needed. You could put in a raised median and U-turn ramps, but I don't know if that would be worthwhile.

As far as signals are concerned, it doesn't help that the grid shifts at NY 5. Unless there are some major changes, almost all of them are necessary.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

QuoteI agree with you about the traffic signals -- the Capital District simply has too many in general.  However, I'm scratching my head about getting rid of the suicide lane.  It's too vital.

The idea being that one would replace the center left turn lane with a raised median (landscaped where possible) and left turn lanes at intersections.  Businesses would howl at the "loss of access", but such a configuration is FAR SAFER and has higher traffic capacity than the free-for-all that exists with a flush center LTL.

vdeane

Perhaps something like NY 252/Jefferson Rd, with media replacing the turn lane and U turns allowed at the lights?  Of course, Jefferson Rd was also widened when they did this, and I'm not sure how much room there is to do that to Central Ave.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2015, 08:08:19 AM
QuoteI agree with you about the traffic signals -- the Capital District simply has too many in general.  However, I'm scratching my head about getting rid of the suicide lane.  It's too vital.

The idea being that one would replace the center left turn lane with a raised median (landscaped where possible) and left turn lanes at intersections.  Businesses would howl at the "loss of access", but such a configuration is FAR SAFER and has higher traffic capacity than the free-for-all that exists with a flush center LTL.

I know many examples could work for this, but Main St. in Buffalo north of 198 uses this configuration and businesses appear to be flourishing.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2015, 04:41:14 PM
Perhaps something like NY 252/Jefferson Rd, with media replacing the turn lane and U turns allowed at the lights?  Of course, Jefferson Rd was also widened when they did this, and I'm not sure how much room there is to do that to Central Ave.

Very little. They'd have to add a few jughandles for larger vehicles. Take NY 104 in Greece, except less ROW.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

Or larger vehicles could just "go around the block".  Though I do realize that the farther away from downtown Albany one gets, the less of a streetgrid that exists.  Another huge fault of suburban development.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2015, 07:10:53 AM
Or larger vehicles could just "go around the block".  Though I do realize that the farther away from downtown Albany one gets, the less of a streetgrid that exists.  Another huge fault of suburban development.

The side streets to go "around the block" could not handle larger vehicles and those side streets can be quite residential (although not all are, e.g. Interstate Ave).  Any plan to send trucks down those side streets would be met with heavy opposition.

froggie

The delivery folks would figure it out.  If it works in Buffalo (as was noted above), no reason why it can't work in Albany.

vdeane

It doesn't help that the capital district is a little odd, with city downtowns essentially adjacent to suburban stip malls with no buffer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

route17fan

Agreed - it will not be fun to be there while they are figuring it out. It wasn't fun when it was being resurfaced let alone getting a road diet. Those living in the Capital District I wish you all well; though the end product should be pretty good.  ;-)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2015, 03:10:52 PM
The delivery folks would figure it out.  If it works in Buffalo (as was noted above), no reason why it can't work in Albany.

Different scenario. Fewer driveways. Just need to have ways to turn around.

Quote from: vdeane on August 16, 2015, 03:35:40 PM
It doesn't help that the capital district is a little odd, with city downtowns essentially adjacent to suburban stip malls with no buffer.

No different from most of the northeast.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2015, 03:10:52 PM

No, it won't. :P  Have to look at the local characteristics of the avenue that you're dieting.  Just because it works in a totally different city, doesn't mean that it'll work in yours.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 16, 2015, 04:04:29 PM

Eh?  Growing up in Rochester, the development was like an onion: downtown, urban in the outer part of the city, urban/older suburban in the near suburbs (many of which were functionally part of the city, down to the mailing address), modern suburban only in the exurbs.  In Albany, it's downtown, clumps of urban development in some neighborhoods, and endless sprawl in even the first ring suburbs.  Growing up in Rochester and living in the Albany area now, both are in first ring suburbs just a few miles from downtown, but in Brighton I was in a 50s neighborhood surrounded by 40s development that looked like it was part of the city, and in Colonie/Latham the neighborhood is late 60s/70s era and much less dense.  In Brighton, only Monroe Ave (NY 31) was a strip mall corridor; in Colonie, most of the major roads are strip mall corridors.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 17, 2015, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 16, 2015, 04:04:29 PM

Eh?  Growing up in Rochester, the development was like an onion: downtown, urban in the outer part of the city, urban/older suburban in the near suburbs (many of which were functionally part of the city, down to the mailing address), modern suburban only in the exurbs.  In Albany, it's downtown, clumps of urban development in some neighborhoods, and endless sprawl in even the first ring suburbs.  Growing up in Rochester and living in the Albany area now, both are in first ring suburbs just a few miles from downtown, but in Brighton I was in a 50s neighborhood surrounded by 40s development that looked like it was part of the city, and in Colonie/Latham the neighborhood is late 60s/70s era and much less dense.  In Brighton, only Monroe Ave (NY 31) was a strip mall corridor; in Colonie, most of the major roads are strip mall corridors.

By "Northeast", I mean eastern New York and New England. Heck, that's most of Queens.

froggie

Quote from: RothmanNo, it won't. :P  Have to look at the local characteristics of the avenue that you're dieting.  Just because it works in a totally different city, doesn't mean that it'll work in yours.

So the rumors that Upstate isn't a united Upstate are true...

D-Dey65

Recently, I found a new proposal for allegedly improving NY 27 east of Route 112, and I don't like it. I can't find the link right now, but...

1)They plan to add the new service roads between the ROW for the proposed service road and the main roads.
2)They're proposing too many ramps between Hospital Road and Patchogue-Yaphank Road. Plus, one of the proposals involves redirecting the eastbound service road towards North Dunton Avenue.
3)They want a stupid traffic circle at Horse Block Road, Victory Boulevard, and some of the Sunrise Highway ramps, and worse, they want to reduce the ramps at Exit 57!

:angry:

nyratk1

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 18, 2015, 11:20:49 AM
Recently, I found a new proposal for allegedly improving NY 27 east of Route 112, and I don't like it. I can't find the link right now, but...

1)They plan to add the new service roads between the ROW for the proposed service road and the main roads.
2)They're proposing too many ramps between Hospital Road and Patchogue-Yaphank Road. Plus, one of the proposals involves redirecting the eastbound service road towards North Dunton Avenue.
3)They want a stupid traffic circle at Horse Block Road, Victory Boulevard, and some of the Sunrise Highway ramps, and worse, they want to reduce the ramps at Exit 57!

:angry:

I'd love to see that link. Also the Dunton Avenue proposal makes sense. I'm guessing it'd be a similar setup as the SSP exit WB for Carleton Avenue?

Did a quick mockup of what I'm thinking:

The other part I'd like is an EB Sunrise Service Rd. east of William Floyd, bonus points if it accesses the Southport Shopping Center. It'd help with Montauk Hwy traffic.

vdeane

The project replacing the Northway bridges over Albany-Shaker Road is progressing nicely.  The northbound substructure was just put in today and some of the jersey barriers replaced with cones.  I would not be surprised if they start staging and installing the deck soon.  After that, some paving and they'll be done with the northbound side.

The posts for the new tenth mile markers are in.  Given the height, it looks like we might be getting enhanced tenth mile markers on the Northway.  I hope I'm wrong - those things are ugly and the standard tenth mile markers are much more attractive, but I can't think of any other reason for the posts to be so high.

cl94

While we're on the topic of bridges/construction, I'll give a few updates for Region 5's projects along with those of NYSTA Buffalo Section:

-Decks were poured on the new EB I-290 bridges at Exit 1 about 3 weeks ago. Did a drive-by today and trucks were driving on the deck. Expect constant-slope barriers to be poured pretty soon. Appears on schedule to open around the Autumnal Equinox. Second phase (WB bridges) will be started in the spring.

-A couple bridges on NY 400 got new guard rails and joints. Old-style 2-rail bridge rail was replaced by the newer style of 2-rail.

-Substructure for Cleveland Drive bridge over I-90 was finished just under 2 weeks ago. Currently filling in the approaches. Realigned entrance ramp has been completed and paved, currently used as a staging area. 4th lane now continuous from Exit 50 entrance to Exit 51W ramp departure.

-Peace Bridge project progressing. Porter Avenue bridge currently being reconstructed, down to 2 lanes. NB exit ramp to Busti Avenue at Exit 9 has been realigned through a prefabricated "tunnel". New sign gantries up or in the process of being installed.

-Every sign on NY 263 was replaced over the past 3 months. Breaking from typical NYSDOT practice, all reference markers were rechained to include the 1970s realignment around UB North Campus. Each RM north of North Forest Road was increased by 0.3 mile. Along with the Niagara Falls Blvd resigning project, this is one of Region 5's first large-scale applications of mixed-case street name signage. New speed limit signs on both roads are much smaller and mounted on one post instead of two.

-Preliminary work for the NY 400 bridge replacement over NY 240 has begun. That'll be a mess when things get into full-swing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.