News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I think it's funny that the state doesn't have enough money to reopen the "temporarily" closed rest areas (or at least close them permanently) but is somehow able to pay for a new one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on August 22, 2015, 04:10:08 PM
I think it's funny that the state doesn't have enough money to reopen the "temporarily" closed rest areas (or at least close them permanently) but is somehow able to pay for a new one.

For some reason, it seems the Taste of NY initiative is some huge priority for the Governor's Office.  That's the only reason why things went as fast as they did to having trees being cut down for the LIE rest area.  A little political gumption and the bulldozers get moving as quickly as they can to meet it.

(emphasized personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

The state has amazingly had money for all kinds of things that are much more expensive than and that I'd consider less essential than reopening the rest areas.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 22, 2015, 10:22:10 AM
Just squeezing this in, I understand bridge pouring is underway on the Utica arterial, no?

I believe the WB bridges are already poured. Pretty sure the timeline to move the WB traffic to the new roadway is September. EB will stay on the old roadway/diverted section.

machias

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2015, 04:25:24 PM

For some reason, it seems the Taste of NY initiative is some huge priority for the Governor's Office.  That's the only reason why things went as fast as they did to having trees being cut down for the LIE rest area.  A little political gumption and the bulldozers get moving as quickly as they can to meet it.

Downstate gets priority over upstate on many things.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 22, 2015, 09:42:25 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on August 22, 2015, 10:22:10 AM
Just squeezing this in, I understand bridge pouring is underway on the Utica arterial, no?

I believe the WB bridges are already poured. Pretty sure the timeline to move the WB traffic to the new roadway is September. EB will stay on the old roadway/diverted section.

Great, I can't wait to drive on it soon.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Rothman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 22, 2015, 09:42:59 PM

This situation is just not that simple, as the local opposition shows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on August 22, 2015, 09:40:42 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 22, 2015, 09:27:05 AM
NYC's interstate numbering is a total disaster. It's like someone drunkenly assigned numbers to the 3dis down there.

They all made sense if the network was completed. Other than not connecting to the parent, I-278 and I-678 have compliant numbering. 695 and 895 are compliant. 495 was supposed to cross the Sound. 295 and 878 were added later. There is really no reason to change numbers other than to make a very insignificant portion of the population happy. And, given how NYC really only allows trucks on Interstates, they all have to remain Interstates or risk making truck travel even worse than it already is.
495 was proposed to cross the sound once or twice, but the original intent was only from the NJ Turnpike to I-278 (I think - you may correct me if it's 678 or 295). Everything east of there started out as NY 495, and only later was the Interstate number extended. So while 495 now is a very long spur, it started out as an urban link deserving of an even number.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2015, 11:41:23 PM

Correct. Both areas are facing cutbacks right now. NIMBYs down there are more powerful than the ones upstate as well. Makes me wonder where the money is going.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: cl94 on August 23, 2015, 08:23:25 PMMakes me wonder where the money is going.
The Politician's big fat bank accounts.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on August 23, 2015, 08:23:25 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2015, 11:41:23 PM

Correct. Both areas are facing cutbacks right now. NIMBYs down there are more powerful than the ones upstate as well. Makes me wonder where the money is going.

Well, if the bulldozers don't move, then the checks usually stop flowing as well.

That said, for projects of intense interest, any money linked to them typically stays with them until they're actually done, which may be years down the road.  It's a pretty rare thing for the money to actually be redistributed to other regions or whatnot in cases like this, in my opinion.

kkt

I'd work on rail freight mobility before trying to build a toll bridge across the Sound.  Are all the rail lines on Long Island passenger only?  Any of them have unused ROW wide enough to put in a freight line?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kkt on August 24, 2015, 12:03:00 AM
I'd work on rail freight mobility before trying to build a toll bridge across the Sound.  Are all the rail lines on Long Island passenger only?  Any of them have unused ROW wide enough to put in a freight line?

Interestingly, I have seen no discussion anywhere of Cuomo's slipping in of the Cross-Harbor freight tunnel in a speech about projects the state needs to push, along with LaGuardia and I think the Hudson rail tunnel.

No mention of the impossibly expensive Port Authority replacement.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 24, 2015, 12:25:49 AM

Interestingly, I have seen no discussion anywhere of Cuomo's slipping in of the Cross-Harbor freight tunnel in a speech about projects the state needs to push, along with LaGuardia and I think the Hudson rail tunnel.

All of the commuter lines have freighr service, but facilities are limited.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 24, 2015, 12:25:49 AM

He also gave a State of the State Address where he mentioned studying the Rooftop (again).  Just because it leaves the Gov's mouth in a speech doesn't mean that it will become a reality.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on August 21, 2015, 10:09:20 PM
Please, if the Town of Hempstead was a city, it would be the 16th largest in the nation. Insane amount of people on the island and there's no way to get stuff there. Few things complicating matters:

-53' trailers have to go in/out via the Clearview and Cross Bronx/Bruckner. No exceptions.
-48' trailers have to use Interstates. Could theoretically take I-278 to the LIE if going to/from the south/west. Things are a little fuzzy with these and it's unclear if such a truck could go from the Van Wyck to Sunrise Highway, for example.
-Combinations under 55' total length can use truck routes as well, which include Atlantic Avenue, Conduit Boulevard, and a few other major thoroughfares.

If anything, the truck regulations are a major reason why a Long Island Sound crossing is needed. Everything would go in/out via there regardless of how much the toll is because it would be relatively unrestricted.

If I-78 was extended that would be another route as well.  Southern Brooklyn, Queens really have no expressway at all.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Buffaboy

cl94, can you fill me in on what's going on with Lake Ave in Orchard Park? It's been closed for a few months now.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 24, 2015, 06:50:15 PM
cl94, can you fill me in on what's going on with Lake Ave in Orchard Park? It's been closed for a few months now.

Full-depth reconstruction. To save money, it was built on slag and fly ash. With the past few winters, the foundation failed quite spectacularly. They're rebuilding it properly.

route17fan

We'll be right back with our current discussion, right after this.

NYSDOT - project D262988 - sign face layouts have an NY 11 instead of a US 11 shield in the plans! Can this be averted in time or once the sign plans have been submitted is it too late?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262988

Sign plans are in supplemental information

Now, back to the show.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

Oops, this just in -

That same project also features a new New York state line sign with updated logo and graphics.

Now back to the show
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

PHLBOS

Quote from: route17fan on August 25, 2015, 09:21:08 AM
NYSDOT - project D262988 - sign face layouts have an NY 11 instead of a US 11 shield in the plans! Can this be averted in time or once the sign plans have been submitted is it too late?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262988

The direction cardinals are shown in mixed-case lettering as well.  IIRC, such are still to be done in all-caps (with a taller first letter) per MUTCD.

At least there's no Clearview font on the signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 25, 2015, 10:32:22 AM
Quote from: route17fan on August 25, 2015, 09:21:08 AM

The direction cardinals are shown in mixed-case lettering as well.  IIRC, such are still to be done in all-caps (with a taller first letter) per MUTCD.

At least there's no Clearview font on the signs.

They're in the supplemental, which likely means they aren't finalized. Typically, finalized sign layouts will show up under "plans".

J N Winkler

Quote from: cl94 on August 25, 2015, 10:34:18 AMThey're in the supplemental, which likely means they aren't finalized. Typically, finalized sign layouts will show up under "plans".

I don't think a set of plans will be issued for bidding.  This appears to be a small-signs job, which NYSDOT tends to do with proposal books only.  NYSDOT also customarily does not include sign panel details in its plans.  The supplemental documentation uploaded for bidding purposes tends to be final, though it can be changed by amendment.

The notice to contractors should identify a point of contact for questions.  I would suggest one of us sends an email to point out the errors, such as NY 11 shield used for US 11, cardinal direction words in mixed-case, etc.  This might result in revised signface layouts being issued.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

machias

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 25, 2015, 11:46:46 AM
Quote from: cl94 on August 25, 2015, 10:34:18 AMThey're in the supplemental, which likely means they aren't finalized. Typically, finalized sign layouts will show up under "plans".

I don't think a set of plans will be issued for bidding.  This appears to be a small-signs job, which NYSDOT tends to do with proposal books only.  NYSDOT also customarily does not include sign panel details in its plans.  The supplemental documentation uploaded for bidding purposes tends to be final, though it can be changed by amendment.

The notice to contractors should identify a point of contact for questions.  I would suggest one of us sends an email to point out the errors, such as NY 11 shield used for US 11, cardinal direction words in mixed-case, etc.  This might result in revised signface layouts being issued.

I've had several conversations with Region 9 about the mixed case cardinal directions over the past couple of years and they assured me that they understood the MUTCD and that it wouldn't happen again. Either these are old plans that haven't been updated or someone in R9 just doesn't get it (or doesn't care) when it comes to established signing practices.  I've sent an email to Region 9 advising them of the errors.  Plans can be changed and if necessary, overlays can be made.

hbelkins

Party poopers. Y'all should wait until the erroneous signs are posted, take a picture, and then complain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.