News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: route17fan on September 04, 2015, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 04, 2015, 02:32:21 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 04, 2015, 01:18:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed the really bad potholes on the Sunrise Highway Service road in Babylon? They stuck ROUGH ROAD signs by one of the bad stretches, which looks literally like the surface of the moon, even worse than some of the sections of the FDR Drive.

That's typical Erie County practice. Rough road sign goes up 5-10 years before they fix it.

Would we be able to throw Chautauqua County in to that as well? On I-86 east at the PA-NY state line, not only are there ROUGH ROAD signs, but they are in construction colors, with z-bars! (which I am told are indications of a long-term sign posting)

That's not the county; that's NYSDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

route17fan

Oops - sorry I misread
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Rothman

Quote from: route17fan on September 04, 2015, 03:02:26 PM
Oops - sorry I misread

Actually, I don't think you did.  Here in NY, there's a stark division between the municipalities, counties and NYSDOT.  Cl94 was referring to the practice of Erie County in particular. I was just pointing out that for I-86, the roads were actually signed with those ROUGH ROAD signs you mentioned by NYSDOT rather than Chautauqua County.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

route17fan

Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 03:08:15 PM
Quote from: route17fan on September 04, 2015, 03:02:26 PM
Oops - sorry I misread

Actually, I don't think you did.  Here in NY, there's a stark division between the municipalities, counties and NYSDOT.  Cl94 was referring to the practice of Erie County in particular. I was just pointing out that for I-86, the roads were actually signed with those ROUGH ROAD signs you mentioned by NYSDOT rather than Chautauqua County.

I gotcha - just the same, I do appreciate the clarification  :)

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 02:51:55 PM
It was also the case on NY 85.  First case I was aware of where they were placed on a freeway.   :wow:

I heard they're used as a means to mitigate liability, of all things.

its not the freeway part itself, its the service roads by the NY 231 Exit.

Rothman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 04, 2015, 05:23:38 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 02:51:55 PM
It was also the case on NY 85.  First case I was aware of where they were placed on a freeway.   :wow:

I heard they're used as a means to mitigate liability, of all things.

its not the freeway part itself, its the service roads by the NY 231 Exit.

I understood that.  I was pointing out what I consider to be an improper use of the sign elsewhere. :)

machias

It looks like Interstate 81 through Oswego County is getting all new BGSes for all exits within the county. I drove from Exit 33 NB to the Jefferson County line and noticed that each interchange (well, 33, 34, 35 and 36 so far) now has a 2 mile advance exit panel in addition to the 1 mile and at the beginning of the ramp. The NYS route markers are the new type with series D numbers and the exit tabs are the new wider variety. Overall the signs look great. The supplemental sign for Selkirk Shores State Park at Exit 36 is now brown instead of green. I think there's still quite a few signs to go up, 511ny shows right shoulder work continuing through the 25th of this month. Unfortunately I have had no luck in finding the plans for this project online, if anyone can steer me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it.

Buffaboy

Does anyone know why this intersection is designed like this?: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2086705,-75.4569363,413m/data=!3m1!1e3
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kkt

Just a thought, but what's the building in the middle?  is it landmarked?

noelbotevera

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 05, 2015, 01:51:54 PM
Does anyone know why this intersection is designed like this?: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2086705,-75.4569363,413m/data=!3m1!1e3
It looks like that it favors NY 49 through traffic, but forgets that NY 26 is 4-lane divided.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Duke87

The building in the middle is a pump station. Not landmarked, and in fact appears to have been built at the same time as the current interchange (sometime between 1988 and 1997, per historic aerials). Prior to that it was a four way intersection with what may have been a one way pair carrying the routes to the northwest: http://historicaerials.com?layer=T1988&zoom=17&lat=43.20901547420224&lon=-75.45816779136658

I'm not familiar with the history behind the project but topologically it's just a directional-Y interchange with two of the ramps not grade-separated. Further complications are the result of tight geometry and a nearby railroad crossing.

Said railroad crossing is just a spur track, though (well, it once was more, but the rest is abandoned), so train crossings are infrequent.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

route17fan

Looks like NY 481 is next in the sign rehab department - from I-81 to Cicero-Baldwinsville - (officially exits 10-12 but there are a couple signs from exit 9)

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263008

cl94

I-290 EB bridges at Exit 1 are completed and open. The lane of EB traffic on the temporary span has been shifted to the new span. A small amount of paving remains on the EB side before everything can reopen for the winter. New span is 3 lanes plus 10' shoulder, so they may go without the temp spans for the next phase.

Breaking from typical NYSDOT practice, a full-depth reconstruction was completed just west of the NY 265 span and it is full-depth asphalt instead of the typical overlain concrete.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cu2010

Quote from: route17fan on September 08, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Looks like NY 481 is next in the sign rehab department - from I-81 to Cicero-Baldwinsville - (officially exits 10-12 but there are a couple signs from exit 9)

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263008

Look at those erroneous NY11 shields!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cu2010 on September 08, 2015, 05:17:58 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31954731@N00/5988854036
Again? How hard is it to make US 11?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on September 08, 2015, 05:17:58 PM

It looks like there is one erroneous NY 11 marker mentioned numerous times. I'm curious to see if the one off will be installed or if the contractor will catch it. The only other thing that bothered me about the plans is the "1/2 mile" on the Circle Drive advance guide panel; why would GuidSIGN even allow that to happen?

I'm happy to see that NY 481 is getting mile markers in Onondaga County.   I-481 has been completed since 1985 but it still doesn't have any posted mile markers.

Snappyjack

Also of note to me is the 2 mile advance signage. New York generally doesn't use those.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2015, 05:11:10 PM
I-290 EB bridges at Exit 1 are completed and open. The lane of EB traffic on the temporary span has been shifted to the new span. A small amount of paving remains on the EB side before everything can reopen for the winter. New span is 3 lanes plus 10' shoulder, so they may go without the temp spans for the next phase.

Breaking from typical NYSDOT practice, a full-depth reconstruction was completed just west of the NY 265 span and it is full-depth asphalt instead of the typical overlain concrete.

Great. What's the ETA on the Cleveland Dr. bridgework and Lake Ave if you know?

Also, is there a case to have the Elm/Oak arterial in DT Buffalo downgraded? I don't know the traffic counts, but having driven down there for a summer job on that arterial, I'd answer with a big fat NO.

Also, where do you guys get your plans from? "Projects in your Neighborhood" on the DOT website or someplace else?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

machias

Quote from: Snappyjack on September 08, 2015, 06:27:34 PM
Also of note to me is the 2 mile advance signage. New York generally doesn't use those.

Region 3 is putting up a bunch of 2 mile advance signs. Interstate 81 now has them through Oswego County as well (or they're in the process of being installed).  Still can't find those sign plans online.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 08, 2015, 06:44:35 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2015, 05:11:10 PM

Great. What's the ETA on the Cleveland Dr. bridgework and Lake Ave if you know?

Also, is there a case to have the Elm/Oak arterial in DT Buffalo downgraded? I don't know the traffic counts, but having driven down there for a summer job on that arterial, I'd answer with a big fat NO.

Also, where do you guys get your plans from? "Projects in your Neighborhood" on the DOT website or someplace else?

Elm/Oak is fine as-is. Gets used quite a bit. A downgrade is not necessary.

Cleveland Drive entrance ramp will open soon (if not open already) and the bridge will be open before Thanksgiving.

Plans come from here: https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/doing-business/opportunities/const-notices
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

So just for the hell of it I was looking at the NY 5/8/12 executive summary and saw that they intend(ed) to lower the expressway and put Warren St and Noyes St overtop. Is this still in the plans, or is it scrapped?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region2/projects/arterial-viaduct-replacement/repository/Utica%20NS%20Arterial%20Study%20Exec%20Summary.pdf

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 08, 2015, 08:02:22 PM
So just for the hell of it I was looking at the NY 5/8/12 executive summary and saw that they intend(ed) to lower the expressway and put Warren St and Noyes St overtop. Is this still in the plans, or is it scrapped?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region2/projects/arterial-viaduct-replacement/repository/Utica%20NS%20Arterial%20Study%20Exec%20Summary.pdf

The Arterial project was split into two projects, the first project well underway. The second half, which would reconstruct the arterial from Burrstone Rd. to Noyes St., with an interchange at Oswego St and Noyes St carried over the Arterial, does not have funding secured at this time. The interim solution is two traffic signals remaining on the arterial until the second half of the entire project can be funded and completed.  NYSDOT routinely evades any questions asking why there are two lights remaining on the Arterial.

Another interesting project in the works in the "Aud to Broad" project along NY 5S, which I think has been mentioned before. This will be a road diet, including possible roundabouts and traffic calming features along this stretch of NY 5S, making it more pedestrian friendly.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 08, 2015, 08:20:04 PM

The Arterial project was split into two projects, the first project well underway. The second half, which would reconstruct the arterial from Burrstone Rd. to Noyes St., with an interchange at Oswego St and Noyes St carried over the Arterial, does not have funding secured at this time. The interim solution is two traffic signals remaining on the arterial until the second half of the entire project can be funded and completed.  NYSDOT routinely evades any questions asking why there are two lights remaining on the Arterial.

Another interesting project in the works in the "Aud to Broad" project along NY 5S, which I think has been mentioned before. This will be a road diet, including possible roundabouts and traffic calming features along this stretch of NY 5S, making it more pedestrian friendly.

The lights on the Arterial are definitely newer, although I'm not sure why they used fixed masts instead of sticking with what was (I assume) wires.

I haven't seen (nor looked for) any materials regarding the NY 5S project, but it's in need of a downgrade. I once almost got hit trying to cross Oriskany Blvd in an attempt to get to Union Station.

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 08, 2015, 08:39:21 PM

The lights on the Arterial are definitely newer, although I'm not sure why they used fixed masts instead of sticking with what was (I assume) wires.

I haven't seen (nor looked for) any materials regarding the NY 5S project, but it's in need of a downgrade. I once almost got hit trying to cross Oriskany Blvd in an attempt to get to Union Station.

All of the new traffic signals related to the Arterial project are on fixed masts with dark brown, decorative features. Interestingly, the same masts are used for both state maintained and city maintained intersections, but the city maintained intersections have yellow traffic signals and the state maintained intersections have green traffic signals.

Rothman

I believe the soonest the second project could even be let would be in State Fiscal Year 18-19.  We'll see what happens with it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.