News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 11, 2015, 04:26:26 PM
Does anyone know if every new project go through the typical NYSDOT letting process? I keep close tabs on project plans and such through the NYSDOT website, but there are new sign projects going on in the Central New York area that I've never seen plans for.  I can't find PIN or contract numbers for some of these projects on the "Projects In Neighborhood" site... one example being the signing rehab project in R3 Oswego County on I-81. The SUNY POLY sign project in Utica is another example. Do some projects just skip the normal channels?

Will that be just a taping-over of the "Inst of Tech" on the BGSs or entirely new signs? I saw the concept on your site and thought that would be a good idea, however I know UB for instance is the control destination (along with Lockport) for I-990 in Amherst.

The one thing I don't understand is why in Albany and Syracuse, Utica is not a BGS control destination (anywhere), but there are (I believe) 3 distance-list signs going eastbound on I-90.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 12, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
The one thing I don't understand is why in Albany and Syracuse, Utica is not a BGS control destination (anywhere), but there are (I believe) 3 distance-list signs going eastbound on I-90.

Because no one actually goes to Utica.  Just a dim spot on your way elsewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Does anyone know if every new project go through the typical NYSDOT letting process? I keep close tabs on project plans and such through the NYSDOT website, but there are new sign projects going on in the Central New York area that I've never seen plans for.  I can't find PIN or contract numbers for some of these projects on the "Projects In Neighborhood" site... one example being the signing rehab project in R3 Oswego County on I-81. The SUNY POLY sign project in Utica is another example. Do some projects just skip the normal channels?

Will that be just a taping-over of the "Inst of Tech" on the BGSs or entirely new signs? I saw the concept on your site and thought that would be a good idea, however I know UB for instance is the control destination (along with Lockport) for I-990 in Amherst.

UB is a secondary control. Given the short distance before Exit 1, I-290 Exit 4 is effectively the North Campus exit.

Quote from: Rothman on September 12, 2015, 05:46:27 PM

Basically correct. Utica isn't a big destination. The city itself is 2/3 the population of Albany, even smaller than Schenectady. The metro area population is about 250,000. There is really nothing in Utica.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

okc1

QuoteThe one thing I don't understand is why in Albany and Syracuse, Utica is not a BGS control destination (anywhere), but there are (I believe) 3 distance-list signs going eastbound on I-90.
Utica was a control city on the ramps from I-481 to I-90 (Thruway exit 34A).  But it's been at least 5 years since I was past there.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

roadman65

I would like to know why "Albany" is used way out in Buffalo, when you have Rochester, the state's third largest city (in fact the I-190 control city for I-290 is that) and Syracuse that also is a big New York city.  The last time I was there the NY 33 exit for I-90 E Bound and the pull through on 90 EB at the Exit 50 diverge said "Albany" and not Rochester or Syracuse which are even both bigger than Albany population wise.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2015, 03:24:39 PM
I would like to know why "Albany" is used way out in Buffalo, when you have Rochester, the state's third largest city (in fact the I-190 control city for I-290 is that) and Syracuse that also is a big New York city.  The last time I was there the NY 33 exit for I-90 E Bound and the pull through on 90 EB at the Exit 50 diverge said "Albany" and not Rochester or Syracuse which are even both bigger than Albany population wise.

It's the Thruway and it's for long distance travelers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Still, why Albany over the others?  True Albany is the State Capital, but small in comparison to Syracuse, a much bigger city which is still a great distance away as well. Plus it intersects I-81 there just as Albany is where I-87 intersects I-90 (and the NYS Thruway).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2015, 04:48:15 PM
Still, why Albany over the others?  True Albany is the State Capital, but small in comparison to Syracuse, a much bigger city which is still a great distance away as well. Plus it intersects I-81 there just as Albany is where I-87 intersects I-90 (and the NYS Thruway).

Because Albany's over on the eastern side of the state.  You can make it further than Syracuse on the Thruway.  It's about distance, not size.

machias

Quote from: okc1 on September 13, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
QuoteThe one thing I don't understand is why in Albany and Syracuse, Utica is not a BGS control destination (anywhere), but there are (I believe) 3 distance-list signs going eastbound on I-90.
Utica was a control city on the ramps from I-481 to I-90 (Thruway exit 34A).  But it's been at least 5 years since I was past there.

The signs at I-481/I-90 now say Albany and Buffalo. There's a secondary destination sign on I-81 SB at I-481 that says Utica, but there's no mention of Utica once you're on I-481.  The Utica sign has been there since the interchange was built in '85.

The Little Falls (29A) interchange has overheads for Albany and Utica. I don't know why they chose Utica for the new sign, when they changed the others to either Albany or Buffalo.

machias

Some of the overhead signs on I-90 EB in the Buffalo area list Rochester, mostly around the I-190 interchange. IIRC, the Rochester designation was originally an overlay over "Niagara Falls", when the Thruway urged Niagara Falls traffic to I-290. I believe the Rochester designation made it to the new (awful) signs put up in the last year or so. The control cities are listed out of order - Albany then Rochester.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 13, 2015, 05:11:40 PM

Some of the overhead signs on I-90 EB in the Buffalo area list Rochester, mostly around the I-190 interchange. IIRC, the Rochester designation was originally an overlay over "Niagara Falls", when the Thruway urged Niagara Falls traffic to I-290. I believe the Rochester designation made it to the new (awful) signs put up in the last year or so. The control cities are listed out of order - Albany then Rochester.

Rochester still is on the sign. Rochester is the control for I-290 at its western terminus as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 12, 2015, 06:25:42 PM

UB is a secondary control. Given the short distance before Exit 1, I-290 Exit 4 is effectively the North Campus exit.

Basically correct. Utica isn't a big destination. The city itself is 2/3 the population of Albany, even smaller than Schenectady. The metro area population is about 250,000. There is really nothing in Utica.

This is unfortunately correct.

And yes, I do wonder why Rochester isn't as prominently displayed on the BGSs in the Buffalo area, because Albany is quite a ways away.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

empirestate

I have actually been to Utica a couple of times on business. There was recently a $20M investment made in their performing arts venue such that it went from one of the worst stops on the road to one of the best. Now, some productions are holding their technical rehearsals in the space, so that's one way they're bringing a little business back into the city.

iPhone

machias

Quote from: empirestate on September 14, 2015, 12:34:02 PM
I have actually been to Utica a couple of times on business. There was recently a $20M investment made in their performing arts venue such that it went from one of the worst stops on the road to one of the best. Now, some productions are holding their technical rehearsals in the space, so that's one way they're bringing a little business back into the city.

iPhone

With the AMS Nano Plant and General Electric R&D coming to Nano Marcy (with a substantial investment and nearly 2500 employees), I believe Utica will be worthy of more traffic in the near future.

Rothman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 14, 2015, 01:08:53 PM

iPhone

With the AMS Nano Plant and General Electric R&D coming to Nano Marcy (with a substantial investment and nearly 2500 employees), I believe Utica will be worthy of more traffic in the near future.

Heh.  Marcy's on the other side of the Thruway from Utica. :D

Buffaboy

By now I think most people here have pieced together that I go to school in Marcy; where, I cannot say. One of my goals this summer is to get (potentially) an internship with the R2 DOT office, but that's no time soon. I need to build up experience over the next couple of semesters.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 14, 2015, 04:48:16 PM
By now I think most people here have pieced together that I go to school in Marcy; where, I cannot say. One of my goals this summer is to get (potentially) an internship with the R2 DOT office, but that's no time soon. I need to build up experience over the next couple of semesters.

If you're thinking grad school or anything planning-related, you might want to look at an MPO. I know from experience that the Buffalo MPO pays pretty well and the supervisors are pretty good to work with.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 14, 2015, 05:00:23 PM

If you're thinking grad school or anything planning-related, you might want to look at an MPO. I know from experience that the Buffalo MPO pays pretty well and the supervisors are pretty good to work with.

Interesting, does a typical assignment involve working on studies? That's what the HOCTS does.

I know this is PM-type stuff, but why would a CE major go into grad school to get a master's degree? My adviser said it helps you achieve seniority and an overall increase in pay, but is it so one can learn more about the concentration they choose?

Even more, what type of research would a civil engineering student expect to encounter if they're going for a Ph.D?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 14, 2015, 05:23:52 PM

Interesting, does a typical assignment involve working on studies? That's what the HOCTS does.

I know this is PM-type stuff, but why would a CE major go into grad school to get a master's degree? My adviser said it helps you achieve seniority and an overall increase in pay, but is it so one can learn more about the concentration they choose?

Even more, what type of research would a civil engineering student expect to encounter if they're going for a Ph.D?

We might want the mods to split this into a separate college/grad school thread, but GBNRTC is mainly traffic counts. If it's a slow summer, they might want you in the office using software. Knowledge of Synchro is a huge plus. Transportation people love that because it shows you know how to do the dirty work.

Grad school is necessary for structural and geotechnical engineering. Not everything transportation-related requires it, but it's becoming a prerequisite for higher-level stuff and design work.

As for PhD, you've come to the right person. I'm starting my PhD in Transportation Engineering at Rensselaer in January. A lot of the research comes from Transportation Research Board (TRB) proposals, but other stuff is more localized. I'll likely have a lot more info on the process this time next week after I meet with my adviser.

Honestly, if you wanna know as much as possible about what's going on in transportation, you should try and find a way to get to the TRB Annual Meeting in DC every January (that goes for everyone). It's expensive (registration is reasonable for students, but hotels are not), but if you're really into transportation, it's an amazing experience. Countless research projects presented covering almost everything imaginable, workshops and case studies, and networking opportunities that allow you to meet transportation people from around the world. A bit closer to home, the Upstate NY section of the Institute of Transportation Engineers has their Annual Meeting in Buffalo on October 1st and 2nd. Again, great place to go if you want to know what's going on and meet like-minded professionals.

Back on topic, is there anything that's newish in the Albany I should check out when I'm there this weekend?

Snappyjack

Only things that come to mind are the new Albany Shaker Rd bridges on the Northway that are currently being worked on. There's also the new Washington Ave/Fuller Road roundabout and I-787 has some bridge redecking going on between the Thruway and the SME. Patroon Island Bridge construction is also moving along nicely.

machias

Either I-790 in Utica has been truncated to the interchange with NY 8/12 or NYSDOT R2 started the new reference markers at the wrong location. Aside from the fact that the top line says "790" instead of "790I", 1000 on the EB side is at the flyover bridge for NY 5 WEST to NY 8/12 SOUTH.

I'm inclined to think that the reference markers were installed wrong but I've sent an email to R2 to inquire further. They must love my weekly emails. Small wonder I didn't get hired.

cl94

Quote from: Snappyjack on September 14, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
Only things that come to mind are the new Albany Shaker Rd bridges on the Northway that are currently being worked on. There's also the new Washington Ave/Fuller Road roundabout and I-787 has some bridge redecking going on between the Thruway and the SME. Patroon Island Bridge construction is also moving along nicely.

Alright, so nothing new. Thanks.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on September 14, 2015, 03:29:00 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 14, 2015, 01:08:53 PM

iPhone

Heh.  Marcy's on the other side of the Thruway from Utica. :D

But the Stanley Theatre's right downtown.

iPhone

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 14, 2015, 06:03:50 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on September 14, 2015, 05:23:52 PM

We might want the mods to split this into a separate college/grad school thread, but GBNRTC is mainly traffic counts. If it's a slow summer, they might want you in the office using software. Knowledge of Synchro is a huge plus. Transportation people love that because it shows you know how to do the dirty work.

Grad school is necessary for structural and geotechnical engineering. Not everything transportation-related requires it, but it's becoming a prerequisite for higher-level stuff and design work.

As for PhD, you've come to the right person. I'm starting my PhD in Transportation Engineering at Rensselaer in January. A lot of the research comes from Transportation Research Board (TRB) proposals, but other stuff is more localized. I'll likely have a lot more info on the process this time next week after I meet with my adviser.

Honestly, if you wanna know as much as possible about what's going on in transportation, you should try and find a way to get to the TRB Annual Meeting in DC every January (that goes for everyone). It's expensive (registration is reasonable for students, but hotels are not), but if you're really into transportation, it's an amazing experience. Countless research projects presented covering almost everything imaginable, workshops and case studies, and networking opportunities that allow you to meet transportation people from around the world. A bit closer to home, the Upstate NY section of the Institute of Transportation Engineers has their Annual Meeting in Buffalo on October 1st and 2nd. Again, great place to go if you want to know what's going on and meet like-minded professionals.

Back on topic, is there anything that's newish in the Albany I should check out when I'm there this weekend?

I'd advocate for a thread split, this is an interesting conversation, and good luck in Rensselaer.

The I-790 thing is interesting. Maybe it means they want to extended it westward now?

vdeane

CDTC has been using summer interns as of late to inventory all the pedestrian infrastructure in the area.  Not sure what the extent of their traffic count program is.  NYSDOT internships can be all over, but I can tell you that they don't pay anything (the only state agency to have no paid internships, btw).  It's also good to join you local branch of YPT if there's on in the area.

Regarding the Thruway control cities, it appears from the signs that Buffalo, Albany, and NYC are the primary control cities, with Erie, Syracuse, and Montreal functioning as secondary control cities, and Rochester, Utica, and Boston as tertiary.  It's about long distance travel, and because Albany is the capital district (and where the handoff between I-87 and I-90 is).  And while Albany itself isn't big, the Capital District metro area is pretty sizeable, and according to Wikipedia's numbers from the 2010 Census, the second largest in the state after NYC (beating even Buffalo and nearly twice as large as Syracuse).

Regarding I-790, I believe there's a long range plan to get it re-routed onto NY 49.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.