News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

The Blenheim Covered Bridge in North Blenheim, Schoharie County, New York will be rebuilt as a replica, just 15 feet higher than the version that was washed away in 2011 by floodwaters from the remnants of Hurricane Irene. The historic Blenheim Covered Bridge was unique in that it featured dual carriageways.

http://www.watershedpost.com/2015/blenheim-covered-bridge-will-rise-again

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on September 18, 2015, 11:23:15 AM
The Blenheim Covered Bridge in North Blenheim, Schoharie County, New York will be rebuilt as a replica, just 15 feet higher than the version that was washed away in 2011 by floodwaters from the remnants of Hurricane Irene. The historic Blenheim Covered Bridge was unique in that it featured dual carriageways.

Would be nice if they could use the salvaged bits as part of the current bridge with just a display or two of the original jointwork, rather than build the whole thing new again.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alps on September 18, 2015, 07:20:44 PM

Would be nice if they could use the salvaged bits as part of the current bridge with just a display or two of the original jointwork, rather than build the whole thing new again.
Meh, the roadgeek websites (such as yours) still show the old Blenheim. I think it's still not too late and the old Blenheim can live on. It's nothing bad.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Dougtone

Quote from: Alps on September 18, 2015, 07:20:44 PM

I'm not sure how much of the bridge was able to be salvaged, but I think that some of the wood was later found quite a ways downstream in the Schoharie Creek.

machias

For those keeping score, Interstate 781 exits have been renumbered to exits 1A-B with 1A for I-81 north. 

machias

The sign replacement project on Interstate 81 in Oswego County is coming along nicely. There were signs sitting in the closed Brewerton Rest Area for the Brewerton exit northbound. Post mounts are in place north of the Salmon River to the Jefferson County line, but I couldn't find the signs that would be going up soon. This is the fourth generation of interchange signage since the building of I-81 in Oswego County.

A typical sequence now looks like this, though I didn't take photos of the existing services signs - they are not being replaced. As mentioned in an earlier post, the "2 mile" advance sign is new for this stretch of Interstate 81. I believe similar signs will be installed between the Cortland County line and I-81 exit 16 A. The signing plans for NY 481 from I-81 to the Oswego County line also call for additional advance signs along that stretch as well. It looks like Region 3 is going all out National MUTCD with NYS Supplement. Good for them.

Duke87

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2015, 08:45:24 PM
For those keeping score, Interstate 781 exits have been renumbered to exits 1A-B with 1A for I-81 north.

So that's one noncompliant S-N combo gone.

Although really, there shouldn't be any exit numbers there since it's the end of the road.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteAlthough really, there shouldn't be any exit numbers there since it's the end of the road.

There's no reason why "the end of the road" can't have exit numbers....

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2015, 11:07:22 PM

I mean it's a matter of opinion. As far as I know there isn't a standard addressing this.

I don't think it makes sense to have exit numbers when there is no through route. 781 is certainly not the only place in New York where this happens, but then there are also plenty of places in New York where it doesn't. If they're going to do it they should at least do it consistently.

(I'm also not a fan of fudging what should be exit 0 up to 1, but that's a separate argument)

cu2010

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
(new I-81 signs)

Holy crap, those actually look pretty damn good. Why can't all signs in our state look like that? Is it so hard for NYSDOT to keep to one consistent design?
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on September 20, 2015, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
(new I-81 signs)

Holy crap, those actually look pretty damn good. Why can't all signs in our state look like that? Is it so hard for NYSDOT to keep to one consistent design?

I am very impressed by the design and quality of all of these new signs as well. Region 3 is usually very consistent with their work. I with the regions were consistent with each other and that there was some sort of statewide implementation of consistency.

Zeffy

These are pristine examples of how signage should be done. Kudos to Region 3!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on September 20, 2015, 07:58:57 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2015, 11:07:22 PM

I mean it's a matter of opinion. As far as I know there isn't a standard addressing this.

I don't think it makes sense to have exit numbers when there is no through route. 781 is certainly not the only place in New York where this happens, but then there are also plenty of places in New York where it doesn't. If they're going to do it they should at least do it consistently.

(I'm also not a fan of fudging what should be exit 0 up to 1, but that's a separate argument)
The only one I knew of until recently was NY 390 at the Parkway (exit 27).  I-781, of course, has recent exit numbers (fun fact: the original plan called for sequential numbers with I-81 as exit 1 (as now), US 11 as exit 2 (now exit 4), and Fort Drum as exit 3 (now unnumbered)).  I-99 also has a numbered terminus (exits 12/13 at I-86; exit 12 was unnumbered prior to the conversion to mile-based numbering, and exit 13 was exit 4).  I'm not aware of others off the top of my head, at least that don't involve stub ramps.

Not sure what the need for 2 mile advance signs is, but those are some sexy signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Alright, when the heck did Round Lake get a bunch of roundabouts? CR 80 is closed to eastbound traffic, there's a roundabout in front of Hannaford, and they're putting in another at the CR 80/Raylinsky Rd intersection.

Staying on Round Lake, when was the speed limit east of the bypass dropped to 20? Did NYSDOT finally transfer that section of highway to the village?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on September 20, 2015, 07:25:54 PM
The only one I knew of until recently was NY 390 at the Parkway (exit 27).  I-781, of course, has recent exit numbers (fun fact: the original plan called for sequential numbers with I-81 as exit 1 (as now), US 11 as exit 2 (now exit 4), and Fort Drum as exit 3 (now unnumbered)).  I-99 also has a numbered terminus (exits 12/13 at I-86; exit 12 was unnumbered prior to the conversion to mile-based numbering, and exit 13 was exit 4).  I'm not aware of others off the top of my head, at least that don't involve stub ramps.

A couple more that immediately come to mind:
- the Cross Island Parkway at I-678, the end is signed as exits 36N-S.
- the Interborough Parkway at the Grand Central ends at exits 8E-W, although only on the current set of signs. Previously neither had a number.

Then you have some odd cases. At the western End of the Cross County Parkway, exit 2 is for the Saw Mill northbound and then exit 1 is for Rumsey Road. The "through route", or as close as there is to one, to the Saw Mill southbound has no number. This one I'll excuse because of the odd interchange configuration.

At the eastern end of I-287, there is no exit number for I-95 north but I-95 south is exit 12. This only came to be in a sign replacement project 10-15 years or so ago, though. Prior to that neither was numbered.
Likewise, the eastern end of I-278 now has exit 54 for the offramp into the Brucker interchange (previously - no number), while the through route onto I-95 north has no number.

There are also plenty of definitive termini without exit numbers, for example:
- NY 17 (at I-87)
- I-990 (at I-290)
- I-87 (at I-278)
- I-684 (at I-287)
- Southern State Parkway (at Cross Island/Belt)

But as signs get redone the trend does seem to be towards adding exit numbers to termini.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 20, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
Alright, when the heck did Round Lake get a bunch of roundabouts? CR 80 is closed to eastbound traffic, there's a roundabout in front of Hannaford, and they're putting in another at the CR 80/Raylinsky Rd intersection.

Staying on Round Lake, when was the speed limit east of the bypass dropped to 20? Did NYSDOT finally transfer that section of highway to the village?

It looks like (according to Google Maps) the whole Malta/Round Lake area loves roundabouts for some reason. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Round+Lake,+NY/@42.9668285,-73.7950613,16.25z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89de159b194b97df:0x866385d08d5f0424

I can't say I've ever seen 6 in a row like that in under a mile.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 20, 2015, 11:16:47 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 20, 2015, 07:32:26 PM

It looks like (according to Google Maps) the whole Malta/Round Lake area loves roundabouts for some reason. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Round+Lake,+NY/@42.9668285,-73.7950613,16.25z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89de159b194b97df:0x866385d08d5f0424

I can't say I've ever seen 6 in a row like that in under a mile.

Oh yes, those of us from the Empire State have been watching that curiosity develop over the past, what, ten years? It was certainly an oft-remarked-upon feature on many of our local webmasters' travels.

Rothman

Less than a decade ago at ITS-NY, NYSDOT's COO was giving a half-improvised speech and started talking about the then-still-in-construction Malta roundabouts at I-87.  He actually said something like, "Five roundabouts in less than a mile?  We'll see how that works out for you!"  He was actually referring to NYSDOT Region 1.

Of course, people were quite confused since you'd think the COO would have had a hand in the project.  Come to think of it, maybe he didn't and that's why he was ranting about it.

Anyway, one of the more bizarre things I've witnessed during my career. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I knew about the Malta ones. I'm talking about the roundabouts on CR 80 west of I-87 that I saw nothing about.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on September 21, 2015, 11:14:29 AM
I knew about the Malta ones. I'm talking about the roundabouts on CR 80 west of I-87 that I saw nothing about.

Well, I seem to remember they started popping up in Round Lake soon after the craze started in Malta, along with the Round Lake Bypass construction. It all seems to be an outgrowth of the same local initiative, at least by my casual observation.

route17fan

Clearly being a Saratoga County initiative, it just may be a county-thing to eliminate signalized intersections and perhaps they are just going with the NYSDOT-inspired roundabout solution. I searched the Saratoga County DPW website and found absolutely nothing in terms of plans or projects (past or future).
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on September 21, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

Well, I seem to remember they started popping up in Round Lake soon after the craze started in Malta, along with the Round Lake Bypass construction. It all seems to be an outgrowth of the same local initiative, at least by my casual observation.

If anything, a local initiative bolstered by the backing that FHWA put behind roundabouts some years ago.  When the Malta ones went in, the FHWA endorsement of roundabouts was frequently mentioned, although no additional or special funding was set aside by FHWA for the installation of roundabouts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

On a completely different topic, Region 4 installed a bunch of FYAs on US 20/NY 5 in Geneva at Lake Street and Castle Street. Left turn doghouses are now 4-section FYAs, while right turn signals, at least heading WB on 5/20, are now 3-section FYAs with no green and a red ball. First three-section FYAs I know about Upstate.

route17fan

D262775 is for the Taconic State Parkway in Westchester County - a sign replacement. In the sign plans, a APL is in the works at exit 2 - on plans page 34.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262775

route17fan

The "top hat" Taconic Pkwy sign is going to be replaced with an APL too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.