News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: route17fan on September 25, 2015, 06:52:38 PM
D262955 - NY 17/I-81 Interchange Phase 2 - preliminary plans - have been released.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262955

I noticed Exits 4N-S is becoming Exit 4A and I86/NY 17 West is becoming Exit 4B.

froggie

Probably because, if I'm not mistaken, the interchange at NY 7 is being "downgraded" to a single northbound off-ramp.  As best as I can tell, the future Exit 4 will be a 5-ramp par-clo with a NB 7-to-NB 81 loop being the only remaining loop.

Buffaboy

The news we've all been waiting for in the Utica Arterial project: traffic to be shifted to the new bridge soon.

http://www.wktv.com/news/Arterial_Project_Shifts_into_High_Gear_Lane_Shifts_Coming.html
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 28, 2015, 08:20:51 PM
The news we've all been waiting for in the Utica Arterial project: traffic to be shifted to the new bridge soon.

http://www.wktv.com/news/Arterial_Project_Shifts_into_High_Gear_Lane_Shifts_Coming.html

Tonight was a bittersweet night, as although I've only known about the Utica area for a couple years, it was my last time driving on the old Arterial bridge.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

D-Dey65

I forget which old maps I saw this on, but Exit 18 on the Southern State Parkway was supposed to have provisions for expansion into a full cloverleaf interchange. If it had been rebuilt that way, you could've separated ramps for both Eagle Avenue an Hempstead Lake State Park. On the other hand, you'd create too much weaving on the parkway itself.

SignBridge

That section of the Southern State Pkwy. from the Queens County-line to the Wantagh Pkwy. is terribly antiquated to begin with. It is basically a (1950's) widened version of the original winding, park-like 1920's four-lane road. Some improvements have been made in recent years, but it's still an antiquated, winding road 'til you get as far east as the Wantagh Pkwy. (Exit-27).  From there on east it's a somewhat straighter route.

D-Dey65

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 31, 2015, 07:48:51 PM
I always wonder how beautiful what is now New York City must have been when it was in its natural state.
I can show you something closer to natural in the Bronx from the 1940's;
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?110852

Quote from: SignBridge on October 04, 2015, 08:01:33 PM
That section of the Southern State Pkwy. from the Queens County-line to the Wantagh Pkwy. is terribly antiquated to begin with. It is basically a (1950's) widened version of the original winding, park-like 1920's four-lane road. Some improvements have been made in recent years, but it's still an antiquated, winding road 'til you get as far east as the Wantagh Pkwy. (Exit-27).  From there on east it's a somewhat straighter route.
That's true, and knowing that I once suggested a major realignment project between Exits 20 and 21 to NYSDOT, and still think Meadowbrook Road (Exit 23) should be closed permanently.

roadman65

A question about something that I always thought was peculiar.  Why does the Southern Tier Expressway deviate from the PA Border by several miles  between Olean and Painted Post?  Why did NYDOT just build the freeway along the old NY 17 alignment before that freeway was built which is NY 417, that at one point comes 100 feet more from the border than it does at Waverly.  I believe this current alignment ventures over 30 miles away at its furthest point.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2015, 07:33:35 AM
A question about something that I always thought was peculiar.  Why does the Southern Tier Expressway deviate from the PA Border by several miles  between Olean and Painted Post?  Why did NYDOT just build the freeway along the old NY 17 alignment before that freeway was built which is NY 417, that at one point comes 100 feet more from the border than it does at Waverly.  I believe this current alignment ventures over 30 miles away at its furthest point.

I think the terrain is a little gentler on the northern route. NY 417 goes over some fairly high country in the southwestern corner of Steuben County. It may also have had something to do with getting Hornell on a freeway, though at the expense of Wellsville, of course.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on October 05, 2015, 08:11:54 AM

I think the terrain is a little gentler on the northern route. NY 417 goes over some fairly high country in the southwestern corner of Steuben County. It may also have had something to do with getting Hornell on a freeway, though at the expense of Wellsville, of course.

A former boss of mine has an I-386 shield that was used by Wellsville representatives that were lobbying NYSDOT and Albany for a spur route to their town.  I'm hoping to still inherit it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

route17fan

Quote from: Rothman on October 05, 2015, 09:35:29 PM

A former boss of mine has an I-386 shield that was used by Wellsville representatives that were lobbying NYSDOT and Albany for a spur route to their town.  I'm hoping to still inherit it.

WOW!! Is it  state-named or is it neutered?
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

You're kidding me. Do they want New York's version of I-180? The AADT on NY 19 is under 8,000 and, more importantly, there is nothing there. Hornell at least has the railcar plant.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Haha, I'm surprised this was even considered.

Rothman

Quote from: route17fan on October 05, 2015, 09:37:20 PM

WOW!! Is it  state-named or is it neutered?

Neutered.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

route17fan

Gotcha - just curious  :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 05, 2015, 10:20:48 PM

Haha, I'm surprised this was even considered.

It really wasn't.  It was more them presenting their argument for the route and everyone with common sense saying, "We value your opinion."

mariethefoxy

Drove up to Westchester today, I noticed they were replacing the signs on the Cross County Parkway by Exit 6. They had a lane blocked as the crane was hoisting the new sign into place.

dgolub

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 06, 2015, 04:03:59 AM
Drove up to Westchester today, I noticed they were replacing the signs on the Cross County Parkway by Exit 6. They had a lane blocked as the crane was hoisting the new sign into place.

Yeah, that was going to happen eventually.  Are they replacing the button-copy on the Hutch as well, or just the Cross County for now.

[Thinks about how he needs an excuse to get up there to snap the new signage.]

mariethefoxy

there were a few button letter signs on the Hutch between the City line and Exit 13 (Cross County Parkway)

Cross County still has a few left, but I would get there as soon as you can since it might not be around very long. US 9 in Tarrytown by the Thruway and NY 119 has a few left.

-----

Just about every button letter sign on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk) is all gone. In 2012-13 the DOT basically replaced everything, including signs that were only a few years old on I-495 that dated back to the completed HOV lane extension project.

There are a few left here and there on side streets leading up to highways.

SignBridge

I believe some button-copy signs still survive on Long Island's Northern State Parkway from the 1984 re-signing project. Most or all of the overhead's have been replaced but there might still be some ground-mounted ones left. To my knowledge, those were the last button-copy signs erected on Long Island.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: SignBridge on October 06, 2015, 10:39:49 PM
I believe some button-copy signs still survive on Long Island's Northern State Parkway from the 1984 re-signing project. Most or all of the overhead's have been replaced but there might still be some ground-mounted ones left. To my knowledge, those were the last button-copy signs erected on Long Island.

nope, theyre all gone, I've been on the entire Northern State as recently as August or so (not all at once, but sections here and there on different days) from Queens to Hauppauge, all the button copy is gone.

Wantagh parkway has one or two button letter signs left near the North end, the rest is all gone.

Recently the expressway part of Sunrise Highway got all new signs.

dgolub

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 07, 2015, 02:44:01 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 06, 2015, 10:39:49 PM

nope, theyre all gone, I've been on the entire Northern State as recently as August or so (not all at once, but sections here and there on different days) from Queens to Hauppauge, all the button copy is gone.

Wantagh parkway has one or two button letter signs left near the North end, the rest is all gone.

Recently the expressway part of Sunrise Highway got all new signs.

The FDR Drive is still mostly button copy.  It will be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Buffaboy

What's going on with the gantry on the NY 12 NB ramp to I-790 EB? A repair, or complete replacement?

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 08, 2015, 07:27:37 PM
What's going on with the gantry on the NY 12 NB ramp to I-790 EB? A repair, or complete replacement?

The signs were replaced in the late 2000s (maybe 2008 or so), but the structure itself is original to the 1989 reconstruction project.

machias

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 08, 2015, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on October 08, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

The signs were replaced in the late 2000s (maybe 2008 or so), but the structure itself is original to the 1989 reconstruction project.

It looks like the overhead structures are cracking and NYSDOT decided they needed to be taken down immediately. The ramp is currently closed. NYSDOT is going to put up ground signs for temporary measures, but knowing that R2, that could be for a year or two. I hope we don't have to wait that long for the new signs to go up. Most likely they'll put up new sign structures but that's just an educated guess.

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20151008/NEWS/151009419

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.