News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: steviep24 on November 17, 2015, 05:20:57 PM
Seems like all the new signals region 4 is installing have reflectorized backplates and FYA's.

Backplates are the new standard. New NYSDOT installations and the one new NYSTA installation I've seen in Buffalo have backplates. A few other states, notably Ohio, have adopted reflectorized backplates as the standard.

I expect Region 1 to eventually go all-FYA for new installations, as they have (or will) installed them at 4 intersections in the Albany area. Even Region 10 is joining the fun- they're installing one on Northern Boulevard at some point. Still no word from Regions 3, 5, 7, or 8.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

cl94, where on Northern Blvd. is Region-10 installing a FYA? I'll have to take a look.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 17, 2015, 07:54:31 PM
cl94, where on Northern Blvd. is Region-10 installing a FYA? I'll have to take a look.

Cedar Swamp Rd / NY 107. Plans here.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

SignBridge

Thank-you, cl94. Very interesting.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on November 17, 2015, 05:33:41 PM
Seems like all the new signals region 4 is installing have reflectorized backplates and FYA's.

Backplates are the new standard. New NYSDOT installations and the one new NYSTA installation I've seen in Buffalo have backplates. A few other states, notably Ohio, have adopted reflectorized backplates as the standard.

I expect Region 1 to eventually go all-FYA for new installations, as they have (or will) installed them at 4 intersections in the Albany area. Even Region 10 is joining the fun- they're installing one on Northern Boulevard at some point. Still no word from Regions 3, 5, 7, or 8.

Backplates also mean pole mounts, right? Or still sticking with the strings lights?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 17, 2015, 10:06:47 PM

Backplates also mean pole mounts, right? Or still sticking with the strings lights?

Depends. Region 10 is still putting in span wire in "less urbanized" areas and where the highway is wide, but a couple installations in Nassau County are pole mount using unique mast arms also used by the County and Village of Hempstead. Can't find anything that isn't span wire in Suffolk at a quick glance.

Region 5 is exclusively mast arms. Region 1 had more mast arms than most regions to begin with, especially north of Albany. They're mostly mast arms, but the new plans have a lot of span wire. Pretty certain Region 4 is only mast arms.

Edit: fixed link, changed Region 1 stuff after seeing the most-recent signal plans

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Another day, another set of new FYAs in Region 1. This time we have the intersection of NY 7 and NY 142 in Center Brunswick (facing EB NY 7) and US 4 at NY 32 in Waterford (facing NB NY 32). Included in the plans but in a different contract are FYAs at NY 146 at Blue Barns Rd and Glenridge Rd (all approaches). Plans are here. All of the FYAs are being put on span wire.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on November 17, 2015, 11:00:52 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on November 17, 2015, 10:06:47 PM

Depends. Region 10 is still putting in span wire in "less urbanized" areas and where the highway is wide, but a couple installations in Nassau County are pole mount using unique mast arms[/url also used by the County and Village of Hempstead. Can't find anything that isn't span wire in Suffolk at a quick glance.

Region 5 is exclusively mast arms. Region 1 had more mast arms than most regions to begin with, especially north of Albany, but they're exclusive as well. Pretty certain Region 4 is only mast arms.

does NYSDOT use vertical mounted signals like these Upstate?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

cu2010

Still no word from Regions 3, 5, 7, or 8.

R7 has already started going FYA. There are now some installed at the intersection of NY37 and NY420 in Massena...complete with a bunch of confused drivers who have no clue what it actually means.

Reflective backplates are standard too, but they're reusing existing spanwires.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

Pole-mounted signals are rare in NYSDOT installations. They're typically found when an intersection is on a curve and a repeater signal is desired so drivers before the curve can see the signal indication.

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on November 18, 2015, 12:15:45 PM
Another day, another set of new FYAs in Region 1. This time we have the intersection of NY 7 and NY 142 in Center Brunswick (facing EB NY 7) and US 4 at NY 32 in Waterford (facing NB NY 32). Included in the plans but in a different contract are FYAs at NY 146 at Blue Barns Rd and Glenridge Rd (all approaches). Plans are here. All of the FYAs are being put on span wire.

What's an FYA?

froggie

Flashing Yellow Arrow

Alps

I saw a FYA in Staten Island. It's turning from Lily Pond Ave. SB to I-278 EB. A green ball would be perfectly sufficient here.

vdeane

Quote from: route17fan on November 18, 2015, 09:48:26 AM
D263075 - Safety improvements to I-890 at exit 4.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263075

Took a look at the exit numbering.  EB 4A and 4B will become just 4 (makes sense on its own) but WB retains 4B and 4C.  A little weird, and I'm wondering if it's even MUTCD compliant given that I-890 has mile-based numbers.  Shoulding 4 and 4B become 4A and 4C become 4B?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on November 18, 2015, 07:09:33 PM
I saw a FYA in Staten Island. It's turning from Lily Pond Ave. SB to I-278 EB. A green ball would be perfectly sufficient here.

NYCDOT has been using them for a couple years, mainly with right turns. The intent is to reinforce that pedestrians have the right of way.

SignBridge

cl94, since you mentioned Hempstead, have you seen that funky single mast-arm installation on Fulton Ave. (NY-24) a few blocks west of Hofstra U? Possibly the corner of Kernochan Ave.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 18, 2015, 09:26:29 PM
cl94, since you mentioned Hempstead, have you seen that funky single mast-arm installation on Fulton Ave. (NY-24) a few blocks west of Hofstra U? Possibly the corner of Kernochan Ave.

They just put that one up recently, so I haven't, but it's a style quite common in Region 1.

SignBridge

That installation in Region-1 looks normal. The one in Hempstead uses an unusually wide pole and a very wide, long mast-arm in a similar diagonal configuration. It looks really weird.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 18, 2015, 10:19:17 PM
That installation in Region-1 looks normal. The one in Hempstead uses an unusually wide pole and a very wide, long mast-arm in a similar diagonal configuration. It looks really weird.

The one I pulled up is on the smaller side. R1 has bigger ones, typically used in cramped locations where span wire wouldn't work.

dgolub

Quote from: froggie on November 18, 2015, 06:54:50 PM
Flashing Yellow Arrow

Yeah, not the world's most common thing.  Although probably more common than flashing green, at least in this country.

froggie

Given how many road forums you're on (between here and Facebook), I'm surprised you haven't caught onto it before now.

steviep24

Buffaboy

Quote from: froggie on November 19, 2015, 09:39:50 PM
Given how many road forums you're on (between here and Facebook), I'm surprised you haven't caught onto it before now.

I've yet to see one IRL.

Are any coming to Region 5? Or 2?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 20, 2015, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 19, 2015, 09:39:50 PM

I've yet to see one IRL.

Are any coming to Region 5? Or 2?

Take a quick trip out to Mohawk. Some on NY 5S.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.