News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2015, 08:39:48 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on November 20, 2015, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 19, 2015, 09:39:50 PM
Given how many road forums you're on (between here and Facebook), I'm surprised you haven't caught onto it before now.

I've yet to see one IRL.

Are any coming to Region 5? Or 2?

Take a quick trip out to Mohawk. Some on NY 5S.

I'm gonna say Rochester (Gates, actually) is a bit of a quicker trip for him. ;-)

vdeane

Well, he was asking about Region 2...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2015, 09:48:05 PM
Given how many road forums you're on (between here and Facebook), I'm surprised you haven't caught onto it before now.

I've yet to see one IRL.

I'm gonna say Rochester (Gates, actually) is a bit of a quicker trip for him. ;-)

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2015, 09:53:23 PM

He goes to school in Utica. The ones in Mohawk are right there and are usually active. Many of the ones in Rochester don't go FYA full-time. The only Rochester ones I've actually seen doing their thing are the new ones in Gates.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

The northbound lanes of the Utica North-South Arterial were moved over to the new overpass some time today. It is a single lane with a maximum width restriction of 10-feet (if memory serves correctly).  A temporary Court Street off-ramp follows the old arterial detour, the NY 5A / NY 5S Downtown Utica interchange is closed to NB traffic at this time. 

I'm not sure if Court Street is now open underneath the new bridge, but reports indicated it is slated to be open by Thanksgiving.

The NB interchange for NY 5A / NY 5S looks like it'll be open very soon as well. And it looked like they've already started dismantling the remaining parts of the old bridge so they can build the remainder of the new overpass.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2015, 10:12:44 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2015, 09:48:05 PM

I've yet to see one IRL.

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2015, 09:53:23 PM

He goes to school in Utica. The ones in Mohawk are right there and are usually active. Many of the ones in Rochester don't go FYA full-time. The only Rochester ones I've actually seen doing their thing are the new ones in Gates.

Ah yes; I was looking at the wrong person's location there.

Bumppoman

The new onramp at I-86/NY-17 Exit 72 opened yesterday.  There has been a lot of work in the last couple weeks as they intend to finish up on schedule by the end of next month.  I-86 is fully signed throughout the limits of the project, as well as on supplemental reassurance signs that have been mounted in a few other locations.  On NY-7, instead of totally replacing the BGS listing only I-81 and NY-17, they have put up large ground-mounted I-86 BGS assemblies that were placed in troublesome locations.   At the exit 4 cloverleaf, these signs are placed immediately after the preceding onramp and could easily be mistaken by someone unfamiliar with the area as referring to the preceding onramp.

On the official project Facebook page, a NYSDOT representative responded to a question regarding the I-86 designation by saying that the entirety of the road in Tioga County is ready, but there are some deficiencies between the Broome County line and Prospect Mountain that need to be remediated before the designation can be extended through Broome County.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 21, 2015, 12:22:55 AM
The northbound lanes of the Utica North-South Arterial were moved over to the new overpass some time today. It is a single lane with a maximum width restriction of 10-feet (if memory serves correctly).  A temporary Court Street off-ramp follows the old arterial detour, the NY 5A / NY 5S Downtown Utica interchange is closed to NB traffic at this time. 

I'm not sure if Court Street is now open underneath the new bridge, but reports indicated it is slated to be open by Thanksgiving.

The NB interchange for NY 5A / NY 5S looks like it'll be open very soon as well. And it looked like they've already started dismantling the remaining parts of the old bridge so they can build the remainder of the new overpass.

I've yet to drive on the thing!

Also, what's this all about?

QuoteRoute 49 eastbound between Cavanaugh Road and Route 12 — overhead sign installation work to continue, weather permitting. Motorists will encounter a lane and shoulder closure and intermittent delays. Flaggers will control traffic during brief traffic stoppages.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 21, 2015, 12:26:06 PM

QuoteRoute 49 eastbound between Cavanaugh Road and Route 12 — overhead sign installation work to continue, weather permitting. Motorists will encounter a lane and shoulder closure and intermittent delays. Flaggers will control traffic during brief traffic stoppages.

The signs need to be added to the new gantry installed at the WB exit ramp for CR 34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy. The gantry has been up for over a week, but with no signs. It looks like they're getting it done before Thanksgiving.  The overhead installation with 1/4 mile advance sign for CR 34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy and 1/2 mile for 5/8/12 was put up two weeks ago. This is finishing up the installation.

There has never been advance guide signs for the 49/I-790/5/8/12 interchange on NY 49 WB since the completion of the road over 10 years ago, they finally got the funding together to put up advance guide signs. Due to the proximity of the CR34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy and 790/5/8/12 interchanges, overhead signs were necessary.

This is also the first time an Oneida County Route is mentioned on freeway guide signs and I think it's wonderful.

I noticed that a NYSDOT contractor is also working on replacing several ground mounted signs in the area but I haven't found a contract online for that.  It looks like some of the SUNY POLY college symbol standalone signs are getting replaced with something more freeway friendly. :)

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 21, 2015, 04:09:14 PM

The signs need to be added to the new gantry installed at the WB exit ramp for CR 34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy. The gantry has been up for over a week, but with no signs. It looks like they're getting it done before Thanksgiving.  The overhead installation with 1/4 mile advance sign for CR 34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy and 1/2 mile for 5/8/12 was put up two weeks ago. This is finishing up the installation.

There has never been advance guide signs for the 49/I-790/5/8/12 interchange on NY 49 WB since the completion of the road over 10 years ago, they finally got the funding together to put up advance guide signs. Due to the proximity of the CR34/Marcy-SUNY Pkwy and 790/5/8/12 interchanges, overhead signs were necessary.

This is also the first time an Oneida County Route is mentioned on freeway guide signs and I think it's wonderful.

I noticed that a NYSDOT contractor is also working on replacing several ground mounted signs in the area but I haven't found a contract online for that.  It looks like some of the SUNY POLY college symbol standalone signs are getting replaced with something more freeway friendly. :)

Why they renamed the parkway "Marcy-SUNY" parkway is beyond me. It reinforces the misnaming of the school to things like "SUNY," "SUNY Tech" and I still here "SUNYIT" at times when it's been a year since the name change.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 21, 2015, 06:24:48 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 21, 2015, 04:09:14 PM

Why they renamed the parkway "Marcy-SUNY" parkway is beyond me. It reinforces the misnaming of the school to things like "SUNY," "SUNY Tech" and I still here "SUNYIT" at times when it's been a year since the name change.

The naming of the parkway was left to the Town of Marcy officials since the school officially resides in the town of Marcy. They have always been cranky about the fact that every other SUNY school has the name of its location in its name, but this one has been everything but what they want... SUNY Utica-Rome, SUNY IT and now SUNY POLY and not SUNY Marcy.  So, that's why the town board named the parkway Marcy-SUNYIT Parkway, which has been changed to Marcy-SUNY Parkway with the changing of the school to SUNY POLY.

I wish folks would just call it "County Route 34".

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: Bumppoman on November 21, 2015, 10:34:18 AMOn the official project Facebook page, a NYSDOT representative responded to a question regarding the I-86 designation by saying that the entirety of the road in Tioga County is ready, but there are some deficiencies between the Broome County line and Prospect Mountain that need to be remediated before the designation can be extended through Broome County.

Veeerrry interesting. I guess that means we could see the I-86 designation be extended to either Exit 66 (NY 17C/NY 434/Apalachin), which is the easternmost exit in Tioga County, or the Tioga/Broome county line (between Exits 66 and 67) at some point in the near future.

vdeane

Quote from: Bumppoman on November 21, 2015, 10:34:18 AM
On the official project Facebook page, a NYSDOT representative responded to a question regarding the I-86 designation by saying that the entirety of the road in Tioga County is ready, but there are some deficiencies between the Broome County line and Prospect Mountain that need to be remediated before the designation can be extended through Broome County.
Odd.  I would have thought the Broome County section west of I-81 was already up to standards.  What upgrades could it possibly need?

Tioga County has several substandard ramps but I think NYSDOT was able to appease FHWA simply by lengthening the acceleration/deceleration lanes, which has been done in the past couple years.

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 21, 2015, 11:40:40 PM
Veeerrry interesting. I guess that means we could see the I-86 designation be extended to either Exit 66 (NY 17C/NY 434/Apalachin), which is the easternmost exit in Tioga County, or the Tioga/Broome county line (between Exits 66 and 67) at some point in the near future.
I believe the current plan is to sign it all the way between US 220 and the current segment east of I-81 in one fell swoop when the Prospect Mountain Phase II project is done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 22, 2015, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: Bumppoman on November 21, 2015, 10:34:18 AM
Odd.  I would have thought the Broome County section west of I-81 was already up to standards.  What upgrades could it possibly need?

Tioga County has several substandard ramps but I think NYSDOT was able to appease FHWA simply by lengthening the acceleration/deceleration lanes, which has been done in the past couple years.

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 21, 2015, 11:40:40 PM
I believe the current plan is to sign it all the way between US 220 and the current segment east of I-81 in one fell swoop when the Prospect Mountain Phase II project is done.

Correct. Everything west of NY 79 will be signed after Phase 2. At least that's what I've been told.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

Is this true?

dot engineers screw up rt12 project

Quote"The tax payers will get caught holding the bag on this one. The ramp to the walkway bridge doesn't conform to code. Without checking a DOT engineer signed off on a elevation change. This doesn't meet American Disabilities Act, and needs to be changed. Secondly brigde bearing supprts on Court st. overpass were installed backwards. Again a DOT engineer signed off on this. It wasn't till final inspection that someone found the mistake. To fix this the bridge needs to be jacked up. The bearings are welde in so it will cost tax payers millons. Some one should lose their jobs here. But in good old DOT fashion they'll be hinden in the state office building playing video games till their retirement."

Buffaboy

I've yet to see one IRL.

Oh I didn't even see this post. Will have to do.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 22, 2015, 11:30:06 PM

I've yet to see one IRL.

Oh I didn't even see this post. Will have to do.

Both are on the NY 5S / NY 28 concurrency. One is across the river from Exit 30, the other is a mile north of the runaway truck ramp. Both face the approach that has the concurrency. I don't know if there is a third at the one just south of the Thruway facing WB NY 5S.

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 22, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Is this true?

dot engineers screw up rt12 project

Quote"The tax payers will get caught holding the bag on this one. The ramp to the walkway bridge doesn't conform to code. Without checking a DOT engineer signed off on a elevation change. This doesn't meet American Disabilities Act, and needs to be changed. Secondly brigde bearing supprts on Court st. overpass were installed backwards. Again a DOT engineer signed off on this. It wasn't till final inspection that someone found the mistake. To fix this the bridge needs to be jacked up. The bearings are welde in so it will cost tax payers millons. Some one should lose their jobs here. But in good old DOT fashion they'll be hinden in the state office building playing video games till their retirement."

Yes.  Of course, having this blunder happen right when a new commissioner was coming in just made it an even bigger deal.  First rule of new commissioner is allegedly: "No more bad press!"

(personal opinion expressed)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Buffaboy:  where did that come from?  A link or a source would've been useful, though I'm guessing Rothman was aware of that project given his response.

vdeane

Looks like a news article, but it somehow managed to escape the clippings.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on November 23, 2015, 02:21:54 PM

I believe it's a mention in the Utica Topix board. Anything there should be taken with many grains of salt.

On another Utica note - the other overhead signs on NY 49 EB at the Marcy-SUNY Pkwy interchange are going up today.  I couldn't snap a photo but there are three signs on the installation:

Left side
NORTH 8 / NORTH 12
Poland
Watertown
EXIT 1/4 MILE

Middle
WEST 5 / SOUTH 8 / SOUTH 12
Downtown Utica
NEXT RIGHT

Right
Oneida CR 34
Marcy-SUNY Pkwy
(blank line)
(up arrow on the right side next to Marcy-SUNY Pkwy line)

The route markers are such are all standard and the signs look very good and MUTCD compliant. I'll try to snap photo in the next day or two.

Elderlee Inc is also working in the area installing ground mounted posts for the 1 MILE advance sign for the same interchange. They are also working on ground mounted signs on NY 8/12 NORTH between the NY 5A/5S and NY 49/I-790/NY 5 interchanges -- I think these are SUNY POLY signs they are replacing. :) Unfortunately I can't find anything online for ground mounted signs in R2 at this time.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 23, 2015, 02:38:22 PM

I believe it's a mention in the Utica Topix board. Anything there should be taken with many grains of salt.

Don't even ask why I was browsing that site...

On another Utica note - the other overhead signs on NY 49 EB at the Marcy-SUNY Pkwy interchange are going up today.  I couldn't snap a photo but there are three signs on the installation:

Left side
NORTH 8 / NORTH 12
Poland
Watertown
EXIT 1/4 MILE

Middle
Downtown Utica
NEXT RIGHT

Right
Oneida CR 34
Marcy-SUNY Pkwy
(blank line)

The route markers are such are all standard and the signs look very good and MUTCD compliant. I'll try to snap photo in the next day or two.

Elderlee Inc is also working in the area installing ground mounted posts for the 1 MILE advance sign for the same interchange. They are also working on ground mounted signs on NY 8/12 NORTH between the NY 5A/5S and NY 49/I-790/NY 5 interchanges -- I think these are SUNY POLY signs they are replacing. :) Unfortunately I can't find anything online for ground mounted signs in R2 at this time.

I'm glad they've gotten this done, seems like a decent assembly. I'll definitely be able to see this tomorrow.

Also, I know you're a pilot. Is it just me or do I see you in the sky sometimes?

Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 23, 2015, 02:53:32 PM

Don't even ask why I was browsing that site...

Left side
NORTH 8 / NORTH 12
Poland
Watertown
EXIT 1/4 MILE

Middle
Downtown Utica
NEXT RIGHT

Right
Oneida CR 34
Marcy-SUNY Pkwy
(blank line)

I'm glad they've gotten this done, seems like a decent assembly. I'll definitely be able to see this tomorrow.

Also, I know you're a pilot. Is it just me or do I see you in the sky sometimes?

Elderlee Inc has been busy putting more sign posts all around the Utica area - I-790, NY 5, NY 49, NY 8, NY 12. I still can't find the plans online for what they're doing but there's going to be quite a few signs going up soon.

Yes, I'm a pilot and I do fly over the area quite a bit. I fly in and out of Griffiss... really enjoy flying over Utica at night at this time of year.

empirestate

Jim

Quote from: empirestate on December 03, 2015, 07:28:56 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on December 03, 2015, 06:40:25 PM
Are these yellow on brown signs an Adirondack thing? https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4805199,-73.8189322,3a,15y,166.29h,89.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5V6QUDsqVCspmfWH4njEuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Adirondack and Catskill, yes. Although that particular one looks pretty off-spec.

You can see a bunch of examples of these on my "New York State Touring Routes and Parkways Traveled" page:

http://www.teresco.org/pics/nyshighways/

Scroll to routes like NY 30 that spend some time in the Adirondacks.

I know there was some discussion of these here in the not-too-distant past in the context of an effort to force NY to stop using them because of readability problems.  I like them and hope NY continues to use them.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.