News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2015, 05:50:13 PM
The next project (formerly in the STIP, the only one that ever was), which probably would have been done by now had NYSDOT not switched into preservation mode a few years ago, would have extended the freeway south to Snake Run Rd.

No, it would not have been done by now.

A long time ago in NYSDOT years (8 or so), the US 219 projects were sort of lumped into the same special group as the NY 17/I-86 conversion projects.  Even before the I-86 project list was narrowed, the US 219 projects were the first from the hybrid group to be whittled away from getting any additional funding from NYSDOT's Main Office (i.e., on top of regional allocations).

I'll put it this way:  I'd consider the NY 17/I-86 conversion "tabled," whereas I saw people simply run away from US 219 like the plague. 

I did see some poor guy bring up US 219 and was immediately and practically shouted down a few years ago.  Haven't heard a thing about it ever since.

(personal opinion expressed).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

So there is now a FYA on E 8th St at the intersection with Broadway in Manhattan. The put a dedicated right turn lane in and the FYA signs on the right side (the overhead signal is still a standard green). First time I've seen a FYA in Manhattan proper. Are they anywhere else?

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on December 09, 2015, 03:15:52 PM
The next project (formerly in the STIP, the only one that ever was), which probably would have been done by now had NYSDOT not switched into preservation mode a few years ago, would have extended the freeway south to Snake Run Rd.

A long time ago in NYSDOT years (8 or so), the US 219 projects were sort of lumped into the same special group as the NY 17/I-86 conversion projects.  Even before the I-86 project list was narrowed, the US 219 projects were the first from the hybrid group to be whittled away from getting any additional funding from NYSDOT's Main Office (i.e., on top of regional allocations).

I'll put it this way:  I'd consider the NY 17/I-86 conversion "tabled," whereas I saw people simply run away from US 219 like the plague. 

I did see some poor guy bring up US 219 and was immediately and practically shouted down a few years ago.  Haven't heard a thing about it ever since.

Well, the last time I saw it on the public site, it was listen with a planned completion date that would now be in the past.  Of course, that was ages ago, only a year or two after the extension to Peters Rd opened at the most.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2015, 05:23:12 PM

Well, the last time I saw it on the public site, it was listen with a planned completion date that would now be in the past.  Of course, that was ages ago, only a year or two after the extension to Peters Rd opened at the most.

While we still see the occasional thing about NY 17 improvements, especially west of I-84, US 219 is something I've heard nothing about in a few years. I'm pretty sure all of that was cut not too long after the most recent extension was started. Do I expect most (if not all) of the remaining parts of NY 17 to be upgraded to Interstate standards within the next 20-30 years? Yes. US 219 extension? Not a chance, especially if PA hasn't finished their section.

On a scale of how likely something is to be constructed, I'd put the full US 219 expressway below a direct connection between the Northway and the Thruway, an extension of either Sunrise Highway or the LIE, and even a Long Island Sound crossing. It is that dead.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on December 09, 2015, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2015, 05:23:12 PM

and even a Long Island Sound crossing. It is that dead.

Wow that's not good for that road!
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: storm2k on December 09, 2015, 05:14:13 PM
So there is now a FYA on E 8th St at the intersection with Broadway in Manhattan. The put a dedicated right turn lane in and the FYA signs on the right side (the overhead signal is still a standard green). First time I've seen a FYA in Manhattan proper. Are they anywhere else?

Yeah, there's a bunch of them (check also the FYA thread for other examples). I just saw another one today (or was it yesterday?)–at 42nd Street and Eighth, if I'm not mistaken.

iPhone

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on December 08, 2015, 08:09:41 AM
He probably made it up on the spot.  Likely referring to how West Virginia signs some of their expressway-grade facilities as "freeways"...

That is in fact what it refers to, although I can take no credit for coining the term. I think I picked it up from Alps.

Quote from: cl94 on December 07, 2015, 10:10:02 AM
US 219 gets a heck of a lot of truck traffic that uses it between SW Pennsylvania and Buffalo, a lot of which is avoiding the tolls.

If that's the problem, removing tolls from the Ripley-Lackawanna section of the Thruway is probably a considerably cheaper solution than building 30 miles of new freeway in NY alone (plus much more in PA) to accommodate the shunpiking trucks.

Or add truck tolls to the Southern Expressway, but AASHTO might cry foul.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bumppoman

New ground-mounted signs were being put up yesterday in both directions on I-81 between exits 11-13.  I have a couple pictures I managed to snap.  On the new sign for exit 12, there are three destinations listed.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.  Does anybody have some other examples?

http://i.imgur.com/Cr7wWDh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UyPWrLV.jpg

cl94

Quote from: Bumppoman on December 12, 2015, 02:19:10 PM
New ground-mounted signs were being put up yesterday in both directions on I-81 between exits 11-13.  I have a couple pictures I managed to snap.  On the new sign for exit 12, there are three destinations listed.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.  Does anybody have some other examples?

I've seen it in a few places. It's uncommon, but Exit 12 warrants it. Exit is in Homer and it is the main exit for Cortland and Ithaca. Better than having Ithaca on a standalone sign like NYSTA does.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

machias

Quote from: Bumppoman on December 12, 2015, 02:19:10 PM

Region 3 is going all out with excellent panel designs along I-81, including the new 2 mile advance panels. I see NY 481 is getting the same type of signs in an upcoming project.

There's a three destination sign on NY 12 north of Utica - NY 365 Rome, Barneveld, Prospect. Rome replaced NY 287 on the original panels when that route designation was deleted, and the addition of Rome carried over to the current panels, which were installed in the late 1990s.

Bumppoman

I agree these new panels are great.  So are the ones Region 9 is putting in, for the most part.  My only gripe with these (not so much on the ones pictured but some of the others) is questionable placement of the exit tab.  In fact, for exit 13 southbound it was positioned just a couple inches from the left.

SignBridge

Three destinations is very New Jersey like. NJDOT is famous for this practice especially on I-295 in Southern NJ. The MUTCD discourages but does not prohibit this practice.

Sec. 2E.10.01 reads in part: No more than two destination names or street names should be displayed on any Advance Guide sign or Exit Direction sign.

Buffaboy

BGS on the Taconic Parkway for "Donald J Trump State Park." Didn't even know this existed.

I think I'm going to make a "Buffaboy State Park" near Utica.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 15, 2015, 05:09:57 PM
BGS on the Taconic Parkway for "Donald J Trump State Park." Didn't even know this existed.

I think I'm going to make a "Buffaboy State Park" near Utica.

He bought the land to make it into a golf course, but Yorktown wouldn't give him the permits due to wetland impacts. The park has been closed for 5 years due to lack of funding. While it was open, the signs not on the Taconic were frequently stolen.

Buffaboy

Is there a map of where all of these "emergency detour" routes go to?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 27, 2015, 09:55:09 PM

Good question. Last week, I saw an "emergency detour E" along WB NY 33 between NY 78 and I-90. Being as the signs are quite new, I'm assuming they're for toll booth construction/congestion in Williamsville. Hopefully, the interim measure before AET conversion (20 mph lanes for EB and an extra WB lane) will reduce some of the backups. I'm assuming there's a C and D, likely for EB I-90 via NY 33 and NY 77 and I-290 to I-90 EB via NY 5 and NY 78.

Region 5 Detours A and B are for I-190 via I-290 and US 62.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on December 27, 2015, 10:07:44 PM

Good question. Last week, I saw an "emergency detour E" along WB NY 33 between NY 78 and I-90. Being as the signs are quite new, I'm assuming they're for toll booth construction/congestion in Williamsville. Hopefully, the interim measure before AET conversion (20 mph lanes for EB and an extra WB lane) will reduce some of the backups. I'm assuming there's a C and D, likely for EB I-90 via NY 33 and NY 77 and I-290 to I-90 EB via NY 5 and NY 78.

C is off of Exit 57 in Hamburg, and leads to US 20.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 28, 2015, 01:48:37 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 27, 2015, 10:07:44 PM

C is off of Exit 57 in Hamburg, and leads to US 20.

Which means D is likely the reverse of that.

Sam

Another C leaves the Thruway westbound at I-481. G and H run along NY 96 between NY 14 and NY 332.

machias

B is eastbound along NY 365 and NY 49, A is the reverse. Interestingly, D and E are used by NYSDOT for the detours around the Utica Arterial project.

So in typical Thruway fashion the detours "increment" backwards, east to west instead of west to east. I'm completely not surprised by this.

vdeane

Anyone notice that the letters for "emergency detour" in the sign are reflective but the letters for the detour letter are not?  The actual letters for the detours seem to be as nonreflective as the lettering in the newer guide signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2015, 01:02:03 PM
Anyone notice that the letters for "emergency detour" in the sign are reflective but the letters for the detour letter are not?  The actual letters for the detours seem to be as nonreflective as the lettering in the newer guide signs.

No, but I did notice that the ones for Detour E in Cheektowaga and Amherst are in Clearview

machias

Quote from: cl94 on December 28, 2015, 01:05:18 PM

No, but I did notice that the ones for Detour E in Cheektowaga and Amherst are in Clearview

I mentioned this to the Thruway Authority a month or two ago and they said these signs were manufactured wrong. There wasn't suppose to be Clearview and the wrong reflective lettering was used. These signs will stay but future signs should look better.

"EMERGENCY DETOUR" should be in C and the letter designation should be in Series D.  According to the Thruway, only the first batch of signs erroneously used Clearview, but every sign I've seen is in Clearview.

cl94

NY 33 EB has had 2 lanes closed all day between NY 240 and I-90 for emergency bridge work. Concrete surrounding a bridge joint had to be replaced. Would have been done last night, but Buffalo got its first winter storm of the year.

machias

Looks like there are some new signs going up in the Utica area before the end of the year. I'll have to go on a scouting trip after work.

I mentioned to NYSDOT Region 2 that their method of signing SUNY POLY ran contrary to the MUTCD back in August. I don't know if the original work was temporary or not, but these signs do a much better job of relaying information at freeway speeds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.