News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I saw those being states from the Oneida County Welcome Center (just off the exit 31 toll booths) last week when attempting to order takeout from Karams (alas, they didn't even pick up the phone and I wound up turning around right back onto the Thruway).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

I'm curious if the same contract is greening out all the overhead signs that say SUNY Inst of Tech.

Update: I did a drive around to see what signs had gone up.  There are a couple of new signs on NY 8 and NY 12 SB north of Utica.  One is north of the Horatio Street ramp but I didn't drive far enough up to see what it said. Another is on the C/D road which is also marked Horatio St. There's now an exit sign for "Seymour Rd" at the beginning of the ramp.  I have a hunch that the current "Horatio St / SUNY Inst of Tech" interchange is going to be redesigned as "Horatio St / Seymour Rd", but I don't know if it will be with this contract or sometime in the spring. A couple of the overhead gantries from the 1988 MUD project are marked with red tape and don't have identification information on them, which tells me that they are slated for replacement (or removal) in the fairly near future.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 30, 2015, 02:07:19 PM
Looks like there are some new signs going up in the Utica area before the end of the year. I'll have to go on a scouting trip after work.

I mentioned to NYSDOT Region 2 that their method of signing SUNY POLY ran contrary to the MUTCD back in August. I don't know if the original work was temporary or not, but these signs do a much better job of relaying information at freeway speeds.

I like how they actually used the full name.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ixnay

SUNY... sounds like a Bobby Hebb song title.

ixnay

Buffaboy

This is probably a stupid question, but why aren't routes in NY called SH 324 or SH 400 like in other states?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 04, 2016, 04:19:20 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but why aren't routes in NY called SH 324 or SH 400 like in other states?

Because the abbreviation for "New York" isn't "SH".  :D

froggie

Assuming that SH = State Highway, which other states are you referring to?  And are you referring to them using SH in an official capacity, or local verbage?

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 04, 2016, 04:19:20 PM

It is very rare for someone to use "Highway" (at least in Central or Western New York, based on my experience) in lieu of "Route".  I've never heard someone refer to "Highway 104B" or "Highway 17" but I've heard lots of "Route 104B" and "Route 17".

Back in the all-text days, NYSDOT used N Y (without periods). On the rare occasion today they use NY.

dgolub

In New York, a state highway number is a three- or four-digit number used internally by NYSDOT to identify a state-maintained road.  This is different from a state route number, which is a one- to three-digit number posted on signs for motorists to follow and may include locally maintained sections that don't have state highway numbers.  While they may be treated as synonyms by people from other states, "state route" and "state highway" are not the same thing in New York.

Buffaboy

Quote from: dgolub on January 04, 2016, 06:02:09 PM
In New York, a state highway number is a three- or four-digit number used internally by NYSDOT to identify a state-maintained road.  This is different from a state route number, which is a one- to three-digit number posted on signs for motorists to follow and may include locally maintained sections that don't have state highway numbers.  While they may be treated as synonyms by people from other states, "state route" and "state highway" are not the same thing in New York.

That's interesting...

cl94

Correct. SH numbers are written in law as designations, but are rarely used in any common fashion. A few contract documents have them.

On a different topic, Buffalo has an Emergency Detour F as well. EB NY 33 from I-90 to a point east of NY 78. I'll do some scouting because I'm moving out to Albany tomorrow morning.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

But even the interstates written into law are "interstate routes", like "interstate route 505" is generally I-81, except the portion written into law where Interstate Route 505 goes from Watertown to Plattsburgh via Massena and Malone.

Even in the law they're not written as "Interstate Highway".

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2006/highway/hay0340-a_340-a.html

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 04, 2016, 10:08:32 PM

But even the interstates written into law are "interstate routes", like "interstate route 505" is generally I-81, except the portion written into law where Interstate Route 505 goes from Watertown to Plattsburgh via Massena and Malone.

Even in the law they're not written as "Interstate Highway".

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2006/highway/hay0340-a_340-a.html

Be it those numbers are for their FAI numbers.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on January 04, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
Correct. SH numbers are written in law as designations, but are rarely used in any common fashion. A few contract documents have them.

Wait, the numbers are written into the law?  I don't see them here: http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2006/highway/hay0341_341.html

route17fan

D263107 - a project for bridge rehab - has potentially an upgrade of NY 9N to US 9N as evidenced by the plans on page 17:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263107

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Rothman

Quote from: route17fan on January 05, 2016, 12:41:40 PM
D263107 - a project for bridge rehab - has potentially an upgrade of NY 9N to US 9N as evidenced by the plans on page 17:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263107

Yeesh.  Probably just a mix-up as usual.

Oh.  Part of the Critical Bridges over Troubled Water initiative to boot.   Funded by HUD/FEMA...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 04, 2016, 07:35:40 PM

That's interesting...

That's the real and more helpful answer. ;-)

You can find the SH numbers on NYSDOT quadrangles (such as I have available here).

Quote from: dgolub on January 05, 2016, 09:33:49 AM

Wait, the numbers are written into the law?  I don't see them here: http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2006/highway/hay0341_341.html

Well, they're in there, but as references to themselves as recorded by the DOT. I feel as thought there may be an older source, from the 1920s, perhaps, that records the original SH designtions. I'm pretty sure I've seen it but I don't remember where; it may come up in a Google Books search.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on January 05, 2016, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on January 04, 2016, 07:35:40 PM

That's interesting...

That's the real and more helpful answer. ;-)

You can find the SH numbers on NYSDOT quadrangles (such as I have available here).

Quote from: dgolub on January 05, 2016, 09:33:49 AM

Well, they're in there, but as references to themselves as recorded by the DOT. I feel as thought there may be an older source, from the 1920s, perhaps, that records the original SH designtions. I'm pretty sure I've seen it but I don't remember where; it may come up in a Google Books search.

Wherever they are, the SH numbers are quite archaic. I've seen that SH numbers are in the State Highway Law, but I could be wrong.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

They're pretty much only used in legal affairs, such as transferring a road to a municipality.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

route17fan

Quote from: Rothman on January 05, 2016, 03:19:35 PM

Yeesh.  Probably just a mix-up as usual.

Oh.  Part of the Critical Bridges over Troubled Water initiative to boot.   Funded by HUD/FEMA...

Good to know - thank you.  :D

dgolub

Are you sure that's not just a goof, especially since the signs shown are detour signs that are presumably temporary?  It seems very unlike New York to add a new US route entirely within the state.

route17fan

Yeah, it probably is a goof since the following pages contains NY 9N shield assemblies. I just jumped the gun and posted it when I saw US 9N shields.  My apologies.

cl94

Anybody know when the speed bumps in front of Joe Bruno's house were taken out? I drove through there today and they were gone.

For the uninitiated, I'm talking about this and the one at the other side of his property.

machias

I thought for sure I'd have more new signs from I-790 and NY 49 in the Utica to post today, crews were taking down an overhead sign for the Marcy-SUNY Parkway interchange when I went to lunch this afternoon. It was hanging from the crane on the shoulder. On my way home, they had put it back up with absolutely no changes to the panel.  I have no idea what they were doing.

Buffaboy

QuoteALBANY – Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday he wants to put $22 billion toward upstate’s aging roads and bridges while spending another $1 billion to freeze tolls on the state Thruway.

Cuomo laid out part of his transportation plan at an event Wednesday in Liverpool, Onondaga County, the latest stop in a statewide tour this week that has seen him slowly roll out his agenda for 2016 ahead of his State of the State address and budget proposal Jan. 13.

The Democratic governor offered few specifics on his infrastructure spending push, but said the $22 billion would be spread out over five years. He also proposed spending $30 million on upstate New York’s public-transportation systems.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/06/cuomo-proposes-thruway-toll-freeze-22b-for-roads/78357802/

What would the money go to? Finishing I-86? Making I-90 4+ lanes from barrier to barrier in Buffalo? Finishing the Utica arterial?

Or is this just rhetoric? From what I understand most bridges cost under $50M to replace/repair.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.