News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 27, 2016, 12:15:43 PM
I'm curious why the left lane needs an "EXIT ONLY" but the right lane doesn't. It's not like you can exit to the left from the right lane (at least not safely).

Because the right lane is a through lane, not an exit lane.

Yes, this distinction depends on whether you've following 81 or 17/86, sure, but that segment of road uses I-81's exit numbers so it's considered the through route.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Especially after the reunumbering upon the completion of Phase II... the exit to NY 7 will change from 4N-S to 4A and the exit to I-86 will be 4B.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Time for a traffic nightmare: NY 85 closed between I-90 and US 20 this Saturday and Sunday, including Exit 4. Detour is through the state office park and Exit 3. After this, the entire road will be a super two for reconstruction through the end of the summer.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on March 28, 2016, 01:30:57 PM
Time for a traffic nightmare: NY 85 closed between I-90 and US 20 this Saturday and Sunday, including Exit 4. Detour is through the state office park and Exit 3. After this, the entire road will be a super two for reconstruction through the end of the summer.

*shrug*

Yep, but it's for a very good cause -- finally getting rid of those "Rough Road" signs!

I use NY 85 regularly to get down to Bethlehem/Delmar.  I'll just use I-787 to 9W to get to where I need to go.  Time difference is actually probably minimal given that my usual route takes me through the Five Corners intersection (Kenwood & Delaware).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2016, 01:45:21 PM

*shrug*

Yep, but it's for a very good cause -- finally getting rid of those "Rough Road" signs!

I use NY 85 regularly to get down to Bethlehem/Delmar.  I'll just use I-787 to 9W to get to where I need to go.  Time difference is actually probably minimal given that my usual route takes me through the Five Corners intersection (Kenwood & Delaware).
Hopefully traffic is just bad enough that they don't think NY 85 can be road-dieted.

froggie

Thing I've noticed with such weekend road closures is that, if they're announced ahead of time, traffic tends to not be as bad as many think...

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 25, 2016, 03:13:13 PM
Uncovered on reddit, 1970

I wish some of this could've been built. (Also, I love your subtitle about I-85's "extension" to Buffalo.  Along the 219, I presume...)

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on March 28, 2016, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2016, 01:45:21 PM

*shrug*

Hopefully traffic is just bad enough that they don't think NY 85 can be road-dieted.

I do think that, besides the obvious funding issues Region 1 had, one of the main reasons NY 85 was put off for so long was an underestimation of the traffic that uses it.  So, that's a little worrisome.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

xcellntbuy

Any thought of a road diet for NY 85 would be one of the dumbest things New York could do. 

Rothman

Quote from: xcellntbuy on March 29, 2016, 12:39:25 PM
Any thought of a road diet for NY 85 would be one of the dumbest things New York could do. 

*points at Delmar Bypass* 

I dunno.  That thing's pretty darned dumb. :D

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2016, 12:42:12 PM

*points at Delmar Bypass* 

I dunno.  That thing's pretty darned dumb. :D

What's dumber is that the entire thing was built without signalized intersections. The Town of Bethlehem had to petition NYSDOT to add signals after a bunch of accidents.

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2016, 12:34:28 PM
I do think that, besides the obvious funding issues Region 1 had, one of the main reasons NY 85 was put off for so long was an underestimation of the traffic that uses it.  So, that's a little worrisome.

I'm convinced they underestimate everything. The Northway needs 8 lanes and there isn't a way to sugar-coat it, but the denial continues.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on March 29, 2016, 01:02:18 PM

I'm convinced they underestimate everything. The Northway needs 8 lanes and there isn't a way to sugar-coat it, but the denial continues.

Anytime widening the Northway is brought up, someone brings up the Twin Bridges.  Besides the usual rhetoric (eh, you'll increase sprawl, eh, it's expensive and our other infrastructure's falling apart, etc.), it's having to replace those suckers that usually is the coffin nail in such conversations.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2016, 02:11:40 PM

Anytime widening the Northway is brought up, someone brings up the Twin Bridges.  Besides the usual rhetoric (eh, you'll increase sprawl, eh, it's expensive and our other infrastructure's falling apart, etc.), it's having to replace those suckers that usually is the coffin nail in such conversations.

Because they are in such good condition. The other bridge of the same name was holding back the widening of tbe BQE for how long? Widen the Northway and half of the other problems go away.

vdeane

IMO the big issue with the Northway isn't traffic counts (though they are higher than other upstate metro areas) so much as the fact that Capital District drivers seem to think that it's acceptable to merge onto a freeway at 40 mph.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on March 28, 2016, 08:41:21 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on March 25, 2016, 03:13:13 PM
Uncovered on reddit, 1970

I wish some of this could've been built. (Also, I love your subtitle about I-85's "extension" to Buffalo.  Along the 219, I presume...)

It would be nice if an outer "parkway" could be built around the county from near Irving into Concord and the eastern county line and then into Niagara County. No trucks, just cars only like the Taconic. A nice scenic bypass featuring foliage and fauna while cutting across the Thruway. It wouldn't shorten time, but it would be scenic!

With all of the sprawl that's happening though (preventing an outer belt freeway (not parkway)) and a declining city population, I don't think either will be built or considered anytime soon. At the same time, just look at how Texas conducts business.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2016, 06:51:32 PM
IMO the big issue with the Northway isn't traffic counts (though they are higher than other upstate metro areas) so much as the fact that Capital District drivers seem to think that it's acceptable to merge onto a freeway at 40 mph.

Is that too fast?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

kalvado

I wouldn't be that optimistic. Given number of circles struck into 85... Did anyone try roundabout on the interstate? That is not at at-grade crossing, nor a traffic light - so roundabout  instead of exit 4 should be a no-brainier!
Worst part of the joke - i wouldn't put my life on roundabout not being considered.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2016, 02:11:40 PM

And why adding third bridge to be used north-south depending on time of day is such a huge problem?  I've seen a few places where road capacity is reallocated for commute flow...

Duke87

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 29, 2016, 07:12:42 PM
Is that too fast?

Unless ramp geometry makes it unsafe to merge at freeway speed (55+ MPH), it's too slow.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on March 29, 2016, 08:08:21 PM
Is that too fast?

Unless ramp geometry makes it unsafe to merge at freeway speed (55+ MPH), it's too slow.

With geometry on some of the ramps, 55 at the beginning of the merge zone is pushing it around here. A lot of the ramps in Upstate New York have a curve at the end that many vehicles cannot take at full speed.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on March 29, 2016, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on March 29, 2016, 08:08:21 PM
Is that too fast?

With geometry on some of the ramps, 55 at the beginning of the merge zone is pushing it around here. A lot of the ramps in Upstate New York have a curve at the end that many vehicles cannot take at full speed.

I think that's why I asked that question. I drive a high profile SUV, I have a need for speed, but on a lot of ramps (especially clovers), I can't go above certain speeds.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2016, 06:51:32 PM
IMO the big issue with the Northway isn't traffic counts...

Did we attend the same data conference today?  I was at the one where HDSB kept reminding us of all the issues there are with their data! :D

Buffaboy

I looked on Google maps, is the Northway really 10 lanes in Latham?

Roadsguy

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 30, 2016, 04:38:14 PM

Where on Google did you see that? It's only ever six, plus auxiliary/merge lanes that might briefly make it ten.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cl94

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 30, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on March 30, 2016, 04:38:14 PM

Where on Google did you see that? It's only ever six, plus auxiliary/merge lanes that might briefly make it ten.

It's 10 between Exits 6 and 7. 2 of those are on a C-D road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.