News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariethefoxy

is there any evidence Nassau ever signed county routes? I haven't seen any in older photos of the county and there appears to be no surviving examples of any county route signs, so if they did they got rid of them really throughly 

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 09, 2016, 09:27:52 PM
is there any evidence Nassau ever signed county routes? I haven't seen any in older photos of the county and there appears to be no surviving examples of any county route signs, so if they did they got rid of them really throughly

Unfortunately, I travel through Nassau County a lot, and I haven't seen a single sign. In fact, the signs according to Wikipedia look different compared to the rest of the state's county routes.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 09, 2016, 09:06:38 PM
Chautauqua County has had excellent county route signage since I lived there in the mid 1980s. Their destination signs were always easy to spot because they would be supported with a diagonal cross bar from about 1/2 up the installation to the ground behind the sign. County route markers themselves were all over the place, but cardinal directions came later.

Oswego County started posting pentagon markers in the early 1980s, complete with cardinal directions right from the onset.  Prior to that there were a very few black on white small squares on some of the county routes.

Jefferson County just started posting in the late 1990s. They still use what looks like Series A numerals from time to time.

To the best of my knowledge, Onondaga County has only ever posted CR 57 (even though it's actually CR 91). The latest generation of county route markers were hideous looking.

I certainly agree with the first and the last is correct from what I have seen as well.

I did a quick Google search and found this picture of an old shield. Yes, they did, and they stopped signing when the standard pentagon marker became a requirement. There are drawings all over the Internet, but this is the only physical shield I have seen. They did a damn good job of getting rid of the signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dgolub

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 09, 2016, 06:31:53 PM
Suffolk is really hit or miss with county routes being signed. some like 97, 83, 11, 1, 2, 80, 10, 6, 104, 105, 19, 34, and 39 (the ones i know off the top of my head) are signed really well. Others like 92, 82 are signed really sporadically, same with 3 (its signed well in the town of Islip but the town of Huntington has a real lack of Route 3 signs). the county routes in the town of huntington in particular have a tendency to be signed badly, and a lot of them aren't signed at all.

I'm not aware of a ton that aren't signed at all.  There's CR 39A, which is multiplexed with NY 27 for its entire length, as well as CR 75 and CR 32.  I'm also pretty sure that CR 40, CR 41, and CR 59 are unsigned, although I haven't clinched them, so I can't say for sure.  Any others?

dgolub

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 09, 2016, 10:20:14 PM

Unfortunately, I travel through Nassau County a lot, and I haven't seen a single sign. In fact, the signs according to Wikipedia look different compared to the rest of the state's county routes.

What you're seeing on Wikipedia is the old county route system from back when they used to be signed, which goes back a number of decades.  (I was born in Nassau County in 1987 and grew up there, and I've never seen a single county route sign anywhere in the county.)  They've since renumbered the county routes, leaving a lot of the more minor roads with no route number at all, and the new route numbers have never been signed.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: dgolub on April 10, 2016, 09:44:12 AM
Suffolk is really hit or miss with county routes being signed. some like 97, 83, 11, 1, 2, 80, 10, 6, 104, 105, 19, 34, and 39 (the ones i know off the top of my head) are signed really well. Others like 92, 82 are signed really sporadically, same with 3 (its signed well in the town of Islip but the town of Huntington has a real lack of Route 3 signs). the county routes in the town of huntington in particular have a tendency to be signed badly, and a lot of them aren't signed at all.

I'm not aware of a ton that aren't signed at all.  There's CR 39A, which is multiplexed with NY 27 for its entire length, as well as CR 75 and CR 32.  I'm also pretty sure that CR 40, CR 41, and CR 59 are unsigned, although I haven't clinched them, so I can't say for sure.  Any others?

County Route 11 is probably the best example of good signing in western Suffolk County. The whole route is signed pretty well. County Route 92 has gotten better with more signs than before.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

dgolub

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 10, 2016, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: dgolub on April 10, 2016, 09:44:12 AM

County Route 11 is probably the best example of good signing in western Suffolk County. The whole route is signed pretty well. County Route 92 has gotten better with more signs than before.

Yeah, when I've been on CR 92, the signage I've seen has been pretty sparse.  The big ones like CR 97, CR 85, CR 80, and CR 111 are all pretty well signed.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on April 09, 2016, 10:10:07 AM
As far as I know, Nassau has been very effective in keeping their CR numbers off of commercial maps by denying that they exist, although you can find them on the LHI from NYSDOT (or on my web site).

Or mine, if you really want some light bedtime reading:
www.empirestateroads.com/cr/crnassau.html

mariethefoxy

Suffolk CR 5 - Ruland Road in Melville is unsigned.

92 is still missing signs, the only ones that I know of are at its intersection with Pulaski Road (CR 11) otherwise theres no shields for it on the entire length.

cl94

With all this talk about unsigned county routes, I remembered that there are 7 in Warren County that are unsigned. CRs 51 and 69 in Lake George are completely unsigned, as are CRs 80-82 in North Creek and CR 83 in Queensbury. 80-82 are local streets that look nothing like the rest of the county route system, while 83 is the entrance to Great Escape, a mere 0.04 miles long. Picture taken at the ET, end of the paint (the driveway for the cabins) is the WT. The eastern half of CR 6 is unsigned, but the segment on Fort George Road is fully marked.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

dgolub

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 10, 2016, 11:13:03 PM

92 is still missing signs, the only ones that I know of are at its intersection with Pulaski Road (CR 11) otherwise theres no shields for it on the entire length.

It's arguable as to whether CR 5 actually exists.  Up until recently, it was one of the so-called "county system roads," which are town or village roads that were assigned a county route number on paper in order to make them eligible for certain funding, even though the county never had any intention of actually maintaining them.  A few years ago, the Town of Huntington sued the county to force them to start maintaining the county system roads in the town, and they won in court, which is why CR 5, CR 9, and a few others now show up in state documents.  The last time I had contact with SCDPW about this, the issue was still somewhat up in the air as to what they were doing with them and whether or not they would actually become signed county routes.

CobaltYoshi27

Heading southbound from its northern terminus at NY-110 in Huntington Village there is a sign for CR 92.
I's traveled:

dgolub

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 11, 2016, 03:51:43 PM

Heading southbound from its northern terminus at NY-110 in Huntington Village there is a sign for CR 92.

That must be very new, then.  Last time I was through there, there no sign for CR 92 on NY 110, and no sign where you need to turn from High Street onto Oakwood Road (or vice versa) to stay on CR 92.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: dgolub on April 11, 2016, 07:28:22 PM

That must be very new, then.  Last time I was through there, there no sign for CR 92 on NY 110, and no sign where you need to turn from High Street onto Oakwood Road (or vice versa) to stay on CR 92.

It is. I only noticed it for the first time a week or two ago. There is also a sign at its southern terminus near NY 25, but it's been there for a long time.
I's traveled:

mariethefoxy

that sign is gone, it was by the Valero station, it got knocked down and noone replaced it.

dgolub

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 11, 2016, 08:59:22 PM

It is. I only noticed it for the first time a week or two ago. There is also a sign at its southern terminus near NY 25, but it's been there for a long time.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a sign on CR 92.  I've never seen any signage for CR 92 on NY 25.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: dgolub on April 12, 2016, 08:45:33 AM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 11, 2016, 08:59:22 PM

I'm assuming that you're talking about a sign on CR 92.  I've never seen any signage for CR 92 on NY 25.

Yes. I meant after you turn onto CR 92 from NY 25 or NY 110. And apparently the sign got knocked down and not replaced? Weird, because that sign was there for years.
I's traveled:

Buffaboy

Here's one I've always wondered: why is I-990 8 lanes from the I-290 interchange to past the first interchange when I-290 is at 3 lanes?

Also, why is this exit sign here? There isn't one on the Lasalle Expressway stub.

Upon digging into the highway history I notice a website circles back here to cl94 for a reference: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-990_ny.html
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

I-990's stub is odd.  NB, it functions like any other stub, but SB, the "ramp" is actually what would be the through lanes; if it was ever built further, that would need to be ripped up.  Why they didn't make them consistent is beyond me.

As far as the number of lanes, traffic does drop noticeably after the SUNY Buffalo exit, but the road is relatively lightly traveled and it doesn't need eight lanes (even six is a bit much along most of its length).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 15, 2016, 02:28:31 PM
I-990's stub is odd.  NB, it functions like any other stub, but SB, the "ramp" is actually what would be the through lanes; if it was ever built further, that would need to be ripped up.  Why they didn't make them consistent is beyond me.

As far as the number of lanes, traffic does drop noticeably after the SUNY Buffalo exit, but the road is relatively lightly traveled and it doesn't need eight lanes (even six is a bit much along most of its length).

Traffic counts barely warrant 6 lanes to Exit 2. Exit 3 is so close that the extra lane was just extended. The 8 lane section is only there because the southernmost 2 interchanges are spaced so closely. I figure it will become much more used when the Sweet Home Road reconstruction gets underway and 2 lanes are closed.

MisterSG1

Quote from: cl94 on April 15, 2016, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 15, 2016, 02:28:31 PM

Traffic counts barely warrant 6 lanes to Exit 2. Exit 3 is so close that the extra lane was just extended. The 8 lane section is only there because the southernmost 2 interchanges are spaced so closely. I figure it will become much more used when the Sweet Home Road reconstruction gets underway and 2 lanes are closed.

Buffaboy's question was never answered, he was wondering why a freeway terminus would be signed as an exit..

My guess is, and this is me speaking as someone from neighboring Ontario, it's signed as an exit because the freeway meets the street with a T-intersection.

ON 404 used to end at a T intersection with Green Lane, and when this terminus used to exist, it was indeed signed as an exit with an exit tab and an exit gore sign even though all drivers were forced to "exit".

In asphalt planet's photo, you can clearly see a sign with an exit tab being signed like an exit even though it's an exit you must make.

As for why the LaSalle doesn't have a gore exit sign....who knows really, but I guess it may have to do with the road not having any exit numbers in the first place. Does this happen because the road is a simple state route freeway and not something more prominent like an interstate route? I haven't driven much in NY, but with my experience, that state route freeways seem to be of much poorer quality than interstate routes. I know this is the case with the Buffalo Skyway, Robert Moses, and Lake Ontario State Pkwy.

vdeane

Stubs are usually signed like an exit in NY, though the gore isn't as common (I could have sworn NY 204 had a gore sign before the stub was removed, though)

As for state route freeways being worse, it pays to remember that the Skyway is a 1950s bridge, and the other two mentioned are parkways, though the upstate regions often don't post exit numbers on the state route freeways (and I-790) for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 15, 2016, 08:01:01 PM
Stubs are usually signed like an exit in NY, though the gore isn't as common (I could have sworn NY 204 had a gore sign before the stub was removed, though)

As for state route freeways being worse, it pays to remember that the Skyway is a 1950s bridge, and the other two mentioned are parkways, though the upstate regions often don't post exit numbers on the state route freeways (and I-790) for some reason.

Another example of an Interstate stub being signed as an exit is the LIE. One is forced off at Exit 73. It is possible that it once had a gore sign. Elsewhere, both ends of the SOB are signed as exits (1E and 14W are the last ones SB and NB, respectively). A couple stubs, notably the northern end of the Taconic and the southern end of the Northway, have been reworked so they are no longer particularly visible stub ends. The one stub end in the state I can think of that isn't signed as an exit (and I don't think ever was) is the north end of the US 9W bypass in Kingston.

So, yes, exit numbers are standard on stubs in New York, but there are not many examples of stubs on numbered expressways.

empirestate

Quote from: MisterSG1 on April 15, 2016, 06:43:37 PM
I haven't driven much in NY, but with my experience, that state route freeways seem to be of much poorer quality than interstate routes. I know this is the case with the Buffalo Skyway, Robert Moses, and Lake Ontario State Pkwy.

That may be the case, but it's likely just coincidence. NY 390 and NY 590 have both had poorer quality sections than their Interstate counterparts, but that's probably more because traffic counts drop off as you approach the lake; the same is likely true for the farther reaches of NY 481 and NY 690.

Then again, remember that this also gives you a comparison between such roads as I-278 (horrible) and NY 27 (not honestly all that terrible). And NY 440's pretty good, isn't it (don't think I've ever taken it)?

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: empirestate on April 15, 2016, 09:44:03 PM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on April 15, 2016, 06:43:37 PM
I haven't driven much in NY, but with my experience, that state route freeways seem to be of much poorer quality than interstate routes. I know this is the case with the Buffalo Skyway, Robert Moses, and Lake Ontario State Pkwy.

That may be the case, but it's likely just coincidence. NY 390 and NY 590 have both had poorer quality sections than their Interstate counterparts, but that's probably more because traffic counts drop off as you approach the lake; the same is likely true for the farther reaches of NY 481 and NY 690.

Then again, remember that this also gives you a comparison between such roads as I-278 (horrible) and NY 27 (not honestly all that terrible). And NY 440's pretty good, isn't it (don't think I've ever taken it)?

NY 27 is honestly one of the higher quality routes, and NY 135 is also pretty nice as well. I-278 is abysmal, and I-87 south of I-95 is kind of bad though.
I's traveled:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.