News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 24, 2016, 11:55:08 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 24, 2016, 11:04:47 PM
The other benefit of conversion was facilitating the development to the west side of the intersection as a conventional 4-leg. More new structures and ramps would have had to be built to accommodate it otherwise. I imagine the PIP took away much of the traffic that was originally on 9W and led to the interchange here.
Keep in mind though, that the Palisades is for Passenger Cars Only, whereas US 9W isn't. I can't imagine the Parkway serving as anything else but temporary relief, especially after the cancellation of the Pearl River-Haverstraw Freeway.

On another topic in the same part of Rockland County, has anyone ever considered the Hook Mountain Tunnel as a train watching site?

I imagine most long-haul trucks take the Thruway, which also probably takes much of the traffic that used to take US 9W.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 24, 2016, 11:55:08 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 24, 2016, 11:04:47 PM
The other benefit of conversion was facilitating the development to the west side of the intersection as a conventional 4-leg. More new structures and ramps would have had to be built to accommodate it otherwise. I imagine the PIP took away much of the traffic that was originally on 9W and led to the interchange here.
Keep in mind though, that the Palisades is for Passenger Cars Only, whereas US 9W isn't. I can't imagine the Parkway serving as anything else but temporary relief, especially after the cancellation of the Pearl River-Haverstraw Freeway.

On another topic in the same part of Rockland County, has anyone ever considered the Hook Mountain Tunnel as a train watching site?

How many trucks are using 9W anyway, though.

froggie

NYSDOT did a classification count in July, 2014 on the stretch of 9W to the south.  For the week they did the count, out of ~8300 average vpd total, they counted 16% (~1300) "trucks and buses" (which according to their classification also includes pickups and vans), with about 370 "heavy vehicles" (includes buses and any truck with 6+ wheels or 3+ axles).  Only about 70 were full semis.

cl94

Anybody who has ever driven on 9W would understand why there so few trucks. The road isn't remotely truck-friendly.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on April 26, 2016, 10:12:46 AM
Anybody who has ever driven on 9W would understand why there so few trucks. The road isn't remotely truck-friendly.
Very true. Although places like Haverstraw, West Haverstraw, and Stony Point still need local deliveries.

Do you know what I always thought would've been great? If they could put a wye intersection at US 9W and Short Clove Road (Rockland CR 90). The trouble is they'd have to blast a shitload of the mountain away in order to do that.

empirestate

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 24, 2016, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: Catfan on April 23, 2016, 04:00:07 PM
This concrete structure was part of some viaduct that was connected to the Rochester Subway, which ran from 1927 to 1956.  The subway structure crossing the Genesee River is still there.  I was there in December 2014.
I think you're talking about the Broad St Bridge over the Genesee River...

I assumed he meant this.

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on May 03, 2016, 05:15:44 PM
D263211 - an R5 overhead sign replacement contract - link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263211

Heads up! An old button copy sign about to be discarded: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2526253,-79.0356007,3a,15y,99.91h,88.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEINk3u-OsqHHH2kE0R9ZmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's old and will be missed.  :no:

Other than that, no button copy (unless I'm missing something). Still 3 NYSDOT button copy signs that I know of and one state name shield.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

^^ are the signs on the Thruway near Utica NYSDOT ones? A few do indeed have button copy.

Quote from: route17fan on May 03, 2016, 05:15:44 PM
D263211 - an R5 overhead sign replacement contract - link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263211

Heads up! An old button copy sign about to be discarded: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2526253,-79.0356007,3a,15y,99.91h,88.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEINk3u-OsqHHH2kE0R9ZmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's old and will be missed.  :no:

Interesting to see the Milestrip exit sign move from a span gantry to a cantilever.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

route17fan

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 03, 2016, 11:30:12 PM
^^ are the signs on the Thruway near Utica NYSDOT ones? A few do indeed have button copy.

I believe cl94 is referring specifically to Region 5 and the project area referenced by the post.  ;-)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on May 04, 2016, 05:38:20 PM

I believe cl94 is referring specifically to Region 5 and the project area referenced by the post.  ;-)

Correct. I'm referring to the button copy signs under R5 maintenance. One of the 3 is being removed, plus there's one under SUNY jurisdiction. I-990 ramp to I-290 WB and Walden Avenue EB at I-90, plus one in miserable shape on the SUNY Buffalo north campus. Get your pics while you can. I think there are actually more NYSTA button copy signs in R5 now (including the non-reflective one that likely dates from just after the switch to green).

machias

Quote from: cl94 on May 04, 2016, 05:42:55 PM

Correct. I'm referring to the button copy signs under R5 maintenance. One of the 3 is being removed, plus there's one under SUNY jurisdiction. I-990 ramp to I-290 WB and Walden Avenue EB at I-90, plus one in miserable shape on the SUNY Buffalo north campus. Get your pics while you can. I think there are actually more NYSTA button copy signs in R5 now (including the non-reflective one that likely dates from just after the switch to green).

What NYSTA sign is that old?

machias

There are quite a few button copy signs in the Utica area and the two overhead button copy signs on the Thruway for Exit 31 were installed by NYSDOT with the reconstruction of I-790 in 1989 or so.  I believe quite a few of the button copy signs in the Utica area will be coming down in the next overhead sign project which should start later this year.  Several of them have already come down due to structural issues with the overhead sign bridges.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on May 04, 2016, 06:45:40 PM

This one. It survived a massive sign replacement program that replaced just about every other sign in the area. It's in crappy shape as well. Was there as of mid-March.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on May 04, 2016, 07:14:58 PM

This one. It survived a massive sign replacement program that replaced just about every other sign in the area. It's in crappy shape as well. Was there as of mid-March.

That sign was installed in 1987 when I was in college at SUNY Fredonia, replacing a darker green all-button copy sign. That's a leftover from the era when the Thruway was putting some elements on the panel in button copy and other elements in non-button copy. Many signs would have a button copy border and non-button copy lettering or vice-versa. Some had '1 MILE' in button copy but the destinations in non-button copy. It's like they were using up old stock.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on May 04, 2016, 07:14:58 PM

Ah yes, the famous Cheektowaga sign. I'll pass by that in a couple days.

And given it was installed in '87 as upstate just said, it doesn't say exits 51-52a like it should, because that exit was built in the 90s.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Buffaboy

Okay, this is a new one. I was goofing around in Historic Aerials, and I noticed that in 1966 there was a bridge here, but now there isn't. Considering the fact that I have driven over this grade crossing hundreds, if not thousands of times, I am very surprised that this was the case. Why was it removed?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 04, 2016, 08:32:55 PM
Okay, this is a new one. I was goofing around in Historic Aerials, and I noticed that in 1966 there was a bridge here, but now there isn't. Considering the fact that I have driven over this grade crossing hundreds, if not thousands of times, I am very surprised that this was the case. Why was it removed?

R5 took out a bunch of grade separations between the late 70s and early 90s. Two very notable ones were over the since-removed spur line serving the quarry east of the airport on NY 33 and NY 78 in Cheektowaga. My guess is that the bridges needed to be replaced and rail traffic did not warrant keeping a grade separation. Around the same time, R5 filled in a bunch of overpasses in Cheektowaga and Depew. There are a couple on Walden Avenue. Most evidence of what was along NY 33 was removed when it was reconstructed.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on May 04, 2016, 08:58:17 PM

R5 took out a bunch of grade separations between the late 70s and early 90s. Two very notable ones were over the since-removed spur line serving the quarry east of the airport on NY 33 and NY 78 in Cheektowaga. My guess is that the bridges needed to be replaced and rail traffic did not warrant keeping a grade separation. Around the same time, R5 filled in a bunch of overpasses in Cheektowaga and Depew. There are a couple on Walden Avenue. Most evidence of what was along NY 33 was removed when it was reconstructed.

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember a grade crossing on Transit and another on Genesee St. that's long gone, but I can't think of when it was removed.

Another thing I noticed on the aerial was that a similar bridge existed on Ridge Rd in Lackawanna but it was filled under like you described. I always wondered why the road went up a hill for no reason.

Actually I think Maple Rd has one as well. Interesting.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 05, 2016, 12:43:04 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 04, 2016, 08:58:17 PM

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember a grade crossing on Transit and another on Genesee St. that's long gone, but I can't think of when it was removed.

Another thing I noticed on the aerial was that a similar bridge existed on Ridge Rd in Lackawanna but it was filled under like you described. I always wondered why the road went up a hill for no reason.

Actually I think Maple Rd has one as well. Interesting.

That one is long gone. Taken out at some point before 1972. Predates I-990. The one on Transit was taken out post-2007. I only know that because it was taken out after I moved to Buffalo.

A more recent example is CR 139 (Pavement Road) in Lancaster. That one was filled in as part of a 2011-12 bridge replacement.

As far as out here? I live on top of a filled-in railroad tunnel and that former line has a bunch of filled-in and visibly removed bridges. And I'm not even talking about the former Latham grade crossing. Yeah...

Roadgeek Adam

As for the original one, there's not as much traffic on the ex-Erie Buffalo & Southwestern Railroad that still crosses at 62. It serves very little purpose to have a bridge over underused tracks. Now that said, there are still bridges over US 62 for the B&SW toward Gowanda.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2016, 10:45:32 AM
As for the original one, there's not as much traffic on the ex-Erie Buffalo & Southwestern Railroad that still crosses at 62. It serves very little purpose to have a bridge over underused tracks. Now that said, there are still bridges over US 62 for the B&SW toward Gowanda.

Those are maintained by the railroad. All are in locations that would be quite expensive to put at grade in a safe manner. The removed bridges that NYSDOT converted into grade crossings were on flat land and the bridges themselves likely caused more of a safety concern than the grade crossings.

Buffaboy

Found in the Buffalo News

According to the article, the Kensington Expressway was also built to evacuate people in the event of a [nuclear] attack, where over 230k people would die without it.

okc1

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 08, 2016, 02:01:24 PM
Found in the Buffalo News

According to the article, the Kensington Expressway was also built to evacuate people in the event of a [nuclear] attack, where over 230k people would die without it.

]
Interesting that the Kensington was to be routed down Fillmore rather than Humboldt.  Apparently it was easier to get the elms from Humboldt removed than to raze a bunch of homes along Fillmore.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Michael

Westbound Exit 7 on I-690 is being widened to have two exit lanes for the new amphitheater in Syracuse.  New signs have been installed that say "(NY 297 shield)/Amphitheater/Fairgrounds/Solvay".  I forgot about the fold-up button copy sign along that stretch, so I'm not sure if it's still there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.