News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Traffic pattern change on NY 85 in Albany:

-WB back on the WB side
-US 20 exit reopened WB
-Both directions still 1 lane north/east of US 20
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cu2010

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: cu2010 on June 10, 2016, 01:36:13 AM
The Robert Moses Parkway is no more. Say hello to the Niagara Scenic Parkway.

To be fair, he already has a Causeway on Long Island/Fire Island.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Beeper1

And two major state parks (one on Long Island and one up on the St Lawrence River), and the major hydropower dam on the St Lawrence near Massena.

dgolub

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on June 10, 2016, 12:42:20 PM

It may not be such a bad thing since it reduces the potential for confusion with the Robert Moses Causeway.  That said, I think that this is the first time that I've seen NY rename something to take someone's name off of it.

Mergingtraffic

Any text route button copy signs left in upstate?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 10, 2016, 10:58:54 PM

Utica and Amsterdam. The ones in Rochester are slated for replacement this spring-1 was still up 2 weeks ago, may already be gone.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Jim

Just posted a pic of one of the signs in Amsterdam a couple days ago:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17987.msg2149212#msg2149212
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Jim

I grabbed this picture in 2013.  I don't know if these survive.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

D-Dey65

Yes, but they could've at least made it part of the Lake Ontario State Parkway.

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 11, 2016, 12:32:13 AM

That would be quite a gap.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 31, 2016, 11:49:06 AM
It's not going to ever happen, short of democracy being thrown out of the country in favor of an absolutist monarchy.
Well, either that or a sudden public acceptance of the benefit of road improvements, instead of the myth of them being a blight upon communities, the cause of all urban decay, dragging down property values, only benefitting the auto industry, big oil, big banks, and all that other nonsense that has been prevalent since the 1960's.

Quote from: empirestate on June 11, 2016, 12:38:32 AM
Not if the gap is filled in, like originally intended.

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 11, 2016, 12:41:59 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 11, 2016, 12:32:13 AM

Indeed, but that's a major undertaking, not something they "could've at least" done to atone for taking Moses' name off of it.

dgolub

Quote from: Jim on June 10, 2016, 11:15:57 PM

I grabbed this picture in 2013.  I don't know if these survive.

Nope, we were through there after the Utica/Rome Road Meet last year, and it's not button copy anymore.  Photos are available at http://www.greaternyroads.info/roads/nystate/ny5a.

D-Dey65

I just saw this little newsletter from Metro-North about the Harlem Line;

http://bit.ly/25zoyAJ

Next Weekend Wassaic Branch Substitute Busing June 10-12

Next weekend substitute bus service will be provided between Southeast and Wassaic for select trains on Friday evening, June 10, and all trains on Saturday and Sunday June 11 & 12 to accommodate reconstruction work for the Towners Crossing on Route 164.
Anyone have any info on this grade crossing? Is this a repair job, or an elimination?

vdeane

I doubt they'd call it reconstruction if they were eliminating the crossing.  I'm guessing they're replacing the crossing surface.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 11, 2016, 12:41:59 AM
That project is essentially dead.  Heck, there's talk of reducing the portion in Orleans County down to two lanes because it's in bad shape but the AADT is too low to justify spending limited dollars fixing it.

Anyone else think it's interesting that they went with the "Niagara Scenic Parkway" name despite the only portion of the parkway that's scenic being slated for removal?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Funny you mentioned the LOSP diet proposal. That was brought up at today's Toronto meet.

On a different topic, I overheard that Region 6 has a FYA now. Where is it? I'm driving through tomorrow and will detour to take a look.

8.Lug

Quote from: cl94 on June 11, 2016, 11:35:56 PM
On a different topic, I overheard that Region 6 has a FYA now. Where is it? I'm driving through tomorrow and will detour to take a look.
What's region 6? They're popping up around Rochester - so stupid. If people aren't intelligent enough to yield on a green light, are they really expected to learn a completely new signal?
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

mariethefoxy

Region 6 is the lower part of the finger lakes region which contains cities of Hornell and Elmira

cl94

Looks like Region 10 is installing another FYA. This one will be at the intersection of NY 24, Staples St and Prospect Pl in Farmingdale. FYAs are facing both NY 24 approaches. Plans are here. The intersection is currently unsignalized and the side street approaches will be split-phased.

vdeane

I saw one of the new state welcome signs for surface streets today.  It's just a green sign with the "New York State of Opportunity" logo on it.  NY 43 at the Massachusetts border.  Didn't have my camera, unfortunately.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2016, 07:21:55 PM
I saw one of the new state welcome signs for surface streets today.  It's just a green sign with the "New York State of Opportunity" logo on it.  NY 43 at the Massachusetts border.  Didn't have my camera, unfortunately.

There's another one in the area, I think on NY 7 at the Vermont border. I saw it in my rearview mirror a couple weeks ago. The small size caught me off guard.

vdeane

NY 74 at Vermont has one too (brown and white for the Adirondacks).  Looks like Region 1 went out and replaced a bunch.

No picture of this one either... I'm really kicking myself, because I even had my camera because I suspected they had replaced the sign, but it slipped my mind when I was there!  I can only hope that NY 185 and US 4 have also been replaced (NY 185 was still the old style as of April/May), because the HPMS survey is now my only chance of getting pictures any time soon.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 17, 2016, 10:02:07 PM
NY 74 at Vermont has one too (brown and white for the Adirondacks).  Looks like Region 1 went out and replaced a bunch.

No picture of this one either... I'm really kicking myself, because I even had my camera because I suspected they had replaced the sign, but it slipped my mind when I was there!  I can only hope that NY 185 and US 4 have also been replaced (NY 185 was still the old style as of April/May), because the HPMS survey is now my only chance of getting pictures any time soon.

Brown and white? That's new.

If I did remember the one on NY 7 correctly, I'll try and grab a picture this weekend. Not like I live particularly far from it. I'll try and check on US 4 as well.

Region 1 has been going crazy with the sign replacements lately. I-787 has a bunch of new signs and there are a few new ones up on the Northway in Saratoga County. Don't know how much longer the button copy at the circle stack will last.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with the watershed signs I've been seeing around the state? NYSTA posted signs along the Thruway for the Lake Erie and Lake Ontario watersheds and Region 4 put one on US 20 for the Lake Erie watershed. Will there eventually be some for the Hudson/Delaware/Susquehanna Rivers as well?

vdeane

There was a contract a couple years ago to replace the milemarkers and gore signs on all of I-787 that isn't under construction and I-90 in Rensselaer County.  All the gore signs on I-87 in Warren County have been replaced, and it looks like Saratoga is being worked on now (don't recall about Essex, but I can confirm that border patrol still uses their checkpoint, as it was active Monday morning).

NY 346 still used the old sign as of two days ago.

I believe the Susquehanna was already signed with the Chesapeake Bay watershed signs.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were part of Cuomo's water initiative after the issues in Orleans and Hoosick Falls were featured all over the news.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.