News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

So it is still active. I was through there on Wednesday and was lucky enough to not see it open. Neither was the one on NY 30 south of Malone.

I knew Warren County is getting a bunch of stuff replaced. Needed it. Most of the old signs were there when I was little. The badly-faded brown signs at Exit 13 were replaced recently.

Knew 346 still had the old sign, as does US 20 (but that's Region 8, so who knows what they're up to). Been a few months since I was on NY 2, NY 67, or NY 313. No idea about 22A or 149, but the latter always had a non-standard sign. I didn't see anything new in Region 5 and, as of Sunday, US 15 and NY 328 in Region 6 were the old style.

If there are signs for the Susquehanna, I certainly didn't see any along I-390 in Steuben County last weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jemacedo9

I-390 northbound does have a sign for the Lake Ontario watershed, at the top of the hill between Exits 2 and 3.

Buffaboy

This is kinda region specific, but is there a roundabout going in at the intersection of accident prone US-62 and Sowles Road in Hamburg? I've noticed construction activity picking up and the surrounding area is being widened.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

I got a picture of the new-style sign on NY 2 at Petersburgh Pass. I'll upload it later tonight.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

cl94

Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 07:44:16 PM
I got a picture of the new-style sign on NY 2 at Petersburgh Pass. I'll upload it later tonight.

Sorry about the poor image quality. If you're familiar with where this sign is located, you will know that a) there is no place to safely stop and leave a vehicle to take a picture and b) you get about 3 seconds to take it if going remotely close to the speed limit. As it is on a blind curve, I was not about to slow to a crawl to take a picture.

I miss having the state seal on the signs, but these signs are a lot sharper than the cluttered blue signs NYSDOT and NYSTA have been putting up recently on limited-access highways.

New-style New York state line sign, NY 2, Petersburgh Pass by cl94, on Flickr

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 09:11:02 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 07:44:16 PM

Sorry about the poor image quality. If you're familiar with where this sign is located, you will know that a) there is no place to safely stop and leave a vehicle to take a picture and b) you get about 3 seconds to take it if going remotely close to the speed limit. As it is on a blind curve, I was not about to slow to a crawl to take a picture.

I miss having the state seal on the signs, but these signs are a lot sharper than the cluttered blue signs NYSDOT and NYSTA have been putting up recently on limited-access highways.

New-style New York state line sign, NY 2, Petersburgh Pass by cl94, on Flickr

Will they be replacing the old ones at every state line entrance?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 19, 2016, 10:58:02 PM

Eventually. The one that was there was button copy and in miserable shape, so it was overdue for replacement. Two of the other ones that were replaced (NY 43 and (I think) NY 7) were button copy as well. NY 74 wasn't, but was certainly old enough to be button copy and in as bad shape, hence why it was replaced. If NY 67 and 313 haven't been replaced yet, I have a hunch they will be by the end of the summer, as they are also button copy. It is worth noting that most of R1's state line signage dated from no later than 1995 1994, as almost all had Mario Cuomo's name covered, so they are certainly due for replacement.

Edit: election was 1994, so that is the latest Cuomo signs would have been installed. May have been earlier depending on when R1 stopped using button copy.

cl94

Alright, another child death along a NYSDOT road: http://wnyt.com/news/road-safety-cohoes-dot-mayor/4174410/?cat=300 . At first glance, it would appear to be similar to the NY 198 mess. However, knowing New York, something should actually be done here, but nothing will be. NY 198 was a limited-access highway where a freak accident prompted immediate reactions from the wealthy neighborhood and state politicians. NY 787 is a surface road and nobody pays attention.

NY 787 has a pedestrian death every couple of years, typically children travelling to or from school. Cohoes has no school buses, so everyone living on the island has to walk across NY 787 to get to school. I disagree that the entire thing should be ripped out, but something needs to be done here, if only a pedestrian bridge is built. But, Cohoes is a poor community and there aren't a bunch of rich people begging to have the thing removed (or have anything done), so I wouldn't be shocked if everything remains exactly as it is today. Pedestrian volumes through there are certainly not low and people fly through.

vdeane

On the other hand, NYSDOT just announced its latest Pedestrian Safety Action Plan (which has actually been in the works for a while).  That increases the pressure to do something over what it would normally be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on June 20, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
Alright, another child death along a NYSDOT road: http://wnyt.com/news/road-safety-cohoes-dot-mayor/4174410/?cat=300 . At first glance, it would appear to be similar to the NY 198 mess. However, knowing New York, something should actually be done here, but nothing will be. NY 198 was a limited-access highway where a freak accident prompted immediate reactions from the wealthy neighborhood and state politicians. NY 787 is a surface road and nobody pays attention.

NY 787 has a pedestrian death every couple of years, typically children travelling to or from school. Cohoes has no school buses, so everyone living on the island has to walk across NY 787 to get to school. I disagree that the entire thing should be ripped out, but something needs to be done here, if only a pedestrian bridge is built. But, Cohoes is a poor community and there aren't a bunch of rich people begging to have the thing removed (or have anything done), so I wouldn't be shocked if everything remains exactly as it is today. Pedestrian volumes through there are certainly not low and people fly through.

What can realistically be done there? And what is the average pedestrian accident rate for such "boulevard" would be? I suspect "onceevery few years" is pretty much expected with that amount of road and foot traffic.
Posting 30-35 MPH signs would do exactly nothing, re-configuring road for lower speed would make traffic worse and further reduce attractiveness of not-so-wealthy neighborhood. Reducing flow from current 25k vehicles translates further decay of area.
I would think that some flavor of grade separation (underground crosswalk) may be a good idea, but likely too expensive.

Its same problem as with 7 in Troy, I would say - "box" brings in traffic which has nowhere to go...
In another thread, actually, an idea of extending 787 north towards Mechanicville - Malta - Saratoga was floated, and I think that makes sense..   

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2016, 10:30:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 17, 2016, 10:02:07 PM
NY 74 at Vermont has one too (brown and white for the Adirondacks).  Looks like Region 1 went out and replaced a bunch.

No picture of this one either... I'm really kicking myself, because I even had my camera because I suspected they had replaced the sign, but it slipped my mind when I was there!  I can only hope that NY 185 and US 4 have also been replaced (NY 185 was still the old style as of April/May), because the HPMS survey is now my only chance of getting pictures any time soon.

Brown and white? That's new.
Must have been misremembering.  Just saw a photo someone took including it for the rail inventory (there's a crossing right on top of it) and it is indeed brown and gold.  First forgetting to take a picture, then having the color wrong... I must have been REALLY out of it that day!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

As far as brown and white, that is the new color scheme for the Catskills, reference markers and all. Every RM I saw inside the park in R1 was replaced with brown and white, similar to the brown and gold ones in the Adirondacks with one major difference- the top row (route number) is larger. I don't know if that's a one-off or the new standard. R1 and R8 have replaced most of the old signs in the park, so the vast majority of signs are now white on brown and mixed-case with a ]"Catskill Park" banner above every sign. Spot replacements have been going on for a few years, but the brown and gold is virtually gone other than town-installed signs and Adopt-A-Highway company names.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on June 24, 2016, 03:36:51 PM
As far as brown and white, that is the new color scheme for the Catskills, reference markers and all. Every RM I saw inside the park in R1 was replaced with brown and white, similar to the brown and gold ones in the Adirondacks with one major difference- the top row (route number) is larger. I don't know if that's a one-off or the new standard. R1 and R8 have replaced most of the old signs in the park, so the vast majority of signs are now white on brown and mixed-case with a ]"Catskill Park" banner above every sign. Spot replacements have been going on for a few years, but the brown and gold is virtually gone other than town-installed signs and Adopt-A-Highway company names.
Are you saying the RMs are heading back toward the older standard? Callough callay!

cl94

Quote from: Alps on June 24, 2016, 06:34:43 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 24, 2016, 03:36:51 PM
Are you saying the RMs are heading back toward the older standard? Callough callay!

No. Top row was about 33% larger than usual. Still the 8 x 10 signs. NY 23 and NY 23A have them. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 11:18:35 PM

Eventually. The one that was there was button copy and in miserable shape, so it was overdue for replacement. Two of the other ones that were replaced (NY 43 and (I think) NY 7) were button copy as well. NY 74 wasn't, but was certainly old enough to be button copy and in as bad shape, hence why it was replaced. If NY 67 and 313 haven't been replaced yet, I have a hunch they will be by the end of the summer, as they are also button copy. It is worth noting that most of R1's state line signage dated from no later than 1995 1994, as almost all had Mario Cuomo's name covered, so they are certainly due for replacement.

Edit: election was 1994, so that is the latest Cuomo signs would have been installed. May have been earlier depending on when R1 stopped using button copy.

NY 67's welcome sign has been replaced with the new style "New York State of Opportunity" welcome sign, as I've referenced over the Northeast Roads group on Facebook. I've also interpreted from others that it's not a statewide mandate, perhaps it's the blue welcome signs seen on the Interstates that are supposed to be used instead.

machias

Something new from NYSDOT (at least in R2). First time I've seen one of these.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on June 28, 2016, 06:55:15 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 19, 2016, 11:18:35 PM

NY 67's welcome sign has been replaced with the new style "New York State of Opportunity" welcome sign, as I've referenced over the Northeast Roads group on Facebook. I've also interpreted from others that it's not a statewide mandate, perhaps it's the blue welcome signs seen on the Interstates that are supposed to be used instead.

The blue signs that aren't MUTCD-compliant because they contain a URL?

vdeane

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2016, 09:16:00 PM

There's one on in Region 4 for the I-490 bridge replacement over Marsh Road.

cl94

Normally, I wouldn't post a mill and fill contract. Except the wording of this contract is a bit...um...intriguing. Also contained within are a bunch of safety upgrades (replacement of W-shape median rail with sturdier box beam rail).

NY 17 from NY 30 to Delaware/Sullivan line. Note how the contract refers to the section as "Future I-86".

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: cl94 on June 29, 2016, 10:12:49 PM
Normally, I wouldn't post a mill and fill contract. Except the wording of this contract is a bit...um...intriguing. Also contained within are a bunch of safety upgrades (replacement of W-shape median rail with sturdier box beam rail).

NY 17 from NY 30 to Delaware/Sullivan line. Note how the contract refers to the section as "Future I-86".

The plans do call for I-86 to extend all the way to I-87. Aside from the section from exits 84-87, isn't the entire road already up to Interstate standards?
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

cl94

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on June 29, 2016, 10:35:09 PM
The plans do call for I-86 to extend all the way to I-87. Aside from the section from exits 84-87, isn't the entire road already up to Interstate standards?

The official word is that everything east of Deposit has been put on hold indefinitely. Either Region 9 wasn't given the memo or it is back on. Of course, if the original schedule was followed, it would be done already.

vdeane

Technically I think there are a few deficient features between exits 79-84 too... in any case, my impression is that the remaining needed upgrades (with the exception of the Hale Eddy section) in Region 9 are minor, so it's possible they rolled them in.  Heck, Region 4 just installed an acceleration lane on I-590 in a resurfacing project, do it's definitely possible.

froggie

In my experience, both MnDOT and VTrans will often incorporate safety improvements or guardrail replacement into a resurfacing project....VTrans replaced guardrail on one such project on I-91 last year around here.  I would not be surprised if this was a normal thing in many (most?) states.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2016, 01:10:24 PM

Can confirm the existence of at least one in Region 11 as well (LIE at GCP). Must be a statewide thing.

Funky color they got on those. That's... not an MUTCD standard shade, is it?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bumppoman

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2016, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2016, 09:16:00 PM

Didn't get any pictures but two of these were put up in Region 9 this week for projects that were already underway on I-88.  Between exits 3 and 5, and 12 and 13 (resurfacing).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.