News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: Duke87 on June 30, 2016, 06:26:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2016, 01:10:24 PM
There's one on in Region 4 for the I-490 bridge replacement over Marsh Road.

Can confirm the existence of at least one in Region 11 as well (LIE at GCP). Must be a statewide thing.

Funky color they got on those. That's... not an MUTCD standard shade, is it?

Apparently Governor Cuomo requested that the regions put these up for major projects. The Utica North-South Arterial project is about 3/4 completed at this time, so the sign is a little late in the game. Must be part of the branding push to show that New York State is a state of opportunity and ready to lead.

dgolub

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 01, 2016, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on June 30, 2016, 06:26:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2016, 01:10:24 PM
There's one on in Region 4 for the I-490 bridge replacement over Marsh Road.

Can confirm the existence of at least one in Region 11 as well (LIE at GCP). Must be a statewide thing.

Funky color they got on those. That's... not an MUTCD standard shade, is it?

Apparently Governor Cuomo requested that the regions put these up for major projects. The Utica North-South Arterial project is about 3/4 completed at this time, so the sign is a little late in the game. Must be part of the branding push to show that New York State is a state of opportunity and ready to lead.

...and of course, what Governor Cuomo wants, Governor Cuomo gets.  That said, I actually do like the signs.  They give motorists driving through the construction zone some idea of what's going on.

Flyer78

Saw a few on I-81 North in Cortland and Onondaga counties.

Surprised Gov. Cuomo has not taken a page from his father (and many other pols) and include his name on the signs.

Snappyjack

Reminds me of what Florida and Missouri does for their road projects. I like it.

machias

I came across the aerial photo of the New York State Fairgrounds near Syracuse. The photo was taken in 1968 and clearly shows that the parking and roadway configurations, what is now Interstate 690, was much different than it is today. Thought some folks might be interested.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2016, 09:16:00 PM
Something new from NYSDOT (at least in R2). First time I've seen one of these.

I saw one on Niagara St in Buffalo the other day.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

amroad17

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 01, 2016, 02:59:31 PM
I came across the aerial photo of the New York State Fairgrounds near Syracuse. The photo was taken in 1968 and clearly shows that the parking and roadway configurations, what is now Interstate 690, was much different than it is today. Thought some folks might be interested.

I remember the split around the fairgrounds at a very young age.  I believe that the eastbound lanes were moved next to the westbound lanes around 1973-75 in preparation for what is now NY 695's interchange with I-690.  The old eastbound lanes can be seen on current Google car photos (on bridge from NY 695 to I-690 west).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Jim

I suppose we don't need to list all of them, but this one is probably in a different region (not that I know the NYSDOT region numbering scheme or the region boundaries), so I'll mention it.  One of these "Built to Lead" signs popped up very recently on NY 30 in Vail Mills.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kalvado

Quote from: Jim on July 03, 2016, 08:48:13 AM
I suppose we don't need to list all of them, but this one is probably in a different region (not that I know the NYSDOT region numbering scheme or the region boundaries), so I'll mention it.  One of these "Built to Lead" signs popped up very recently on NY 30 in Vail Mills.
R1, rest area between exits 12 and 11 on I-90 free portion.
Great to see critical safety infrastructure items, such as restrooms, is being taken care of!

J N Winkler

Regarding the "Built to Lead"/"State of Opportunity" project blurb signs, these seem to be part of the same rebranding initiative that has put paid to the old NYSDOT globe-of-stripes logo.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

There's a pair on I-390 on either side of the upcoming reconstruction in Steuben County, a pair on NY 400 at the NT, and a pair on I-81 at NY 80. Over the past month, they have appeared everywhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on July 04, 2016, 04:55:57 PM
There's a pair on I-390 on either side of the upcoming reconstruction in Steuben County, a pair on NY 400 at the NT, and a pair on I-81 at NY 80. Over the past month, they have appeared everywhere.
Not really everywhere. Washington ave. ext. doesn't have those. Probably because it is current;y scheduled to be completed in several weeks, maybe because it is taking twice longer than planned.. Or possibly because project is slowly turning clusterf..k...

Roadgeek Adam

17 has them in Corning.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mariethefoxy

I saw one of those Built to Lead signs on Staten Island but I forget where, I think it was near the Verezano. There is one of those new light blue colored Welcome to New York signs on Staten Island just past the toll plaza for the Outerbridge crossing.

(note thats not a photo of the one on Staten Island, its an example photo)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 01, 2016, 02:59:31 PM

I'm guessing the traffic lights at the exit from the parking lots were only added after the reconfiguration?

jemacedo9

Back to the Great Lakes Watershed signs...I saw a Entering Lake Erie Watershed sign, not on a freeway, but on US 20 headed westbound in I believe near Alexander NY (south of Batavia)...but there didn't appear to be a corresponding Lake Ontario Watershed sign in the opposite direction.  East of there, everything drains either into Lake Ontario directly, or into the Genesee River...

cl94

Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 05, 2016, 11:37:52 AM
Back to the Great Lakes Watershed signs...I saw a Entering Lake Erie Watershed sign, not on a freeway, but on US 20 headed westbound in I believe near Alexander NY (south of Batavia)...but there didn't appear to be a corresponding Lake Ontario Watershed sign in the opposite direction.  East of there, everything drains either into Lake Ontario directly, or into the Genesee River...

Lake Erie watershed appears to be mostly signed. I do not recall seeing a sign on NY 60 south of Fredonia. Other than on the Thruway, I have seen no Lake Ontario signs and nothing for anything else
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

SidS1045

Quote from: Flyer78 on July 01, 2016, 09:34:09 AMSurprised Gov. Cuomo has not taken a page from his father (and many other pols) and include his name on the signs.

The signs were being changed every time a new governor was sworn in, at a considerable expense.  When George Pataki became governor (1995-2006) he put a stop to it.

In the 2009 NY supplement to the MUTCD (https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/repository/B-2011Supplement-adopted.pdf, page 251) there is a drawing of the old "Welcome to New York" sign.  The drawing has a governor's name on it...Al Smith (1919-1921, 1923-1929).  Further, the sign is done in FHwA fonts, which didn't exist when Smith was governor.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Roadgeek Adam

Since we talk about the 86 construction, something that came to mind and research is coming up with blanks on: Why are exits 22, 88, 91, 95 and 117 missing? There should be answers in state documents but I'm not exactly close to Albany.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 01:10:41 PM
Since we talk about the 86 construction, something that came to mind and research is coming up with blanks on: Why are exits 22, 88, 91, 95 and 117 missing? There should be answers in state documents but I'm not exactly close to Albany.

22 is reserved for the US 219 expressway.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on July 06, 2016, 01:51:37 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 01:10:41 PM

22 is reserved for the US 219 expressway.

That makes sense. I doubted it was for Parkside Drive (which is the only nearby intersection). Still doesn't answer the east of Hale Eddy ones.
Adam Seth Moss

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on July 05, 2016, 12:18:08 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 05, 2016, 11:37:52 AM

Lake Erie watershed appears to be mostly signed. I do not recall seeing a sign on NY 60 south of Fredonia. Other than on the Thruway, I have seen no Lake Ontario signs and nothing for anything else

I've only seen a Lake Erie watershed sign (at least in NYS) on the Thruway proper. I have seen Lake Ontario watershed signs up in Jefferson County, but that may have been a county install (they've been up for years).

There's also a Chesapeake Bay watershed sign on I-88 westbound near the Schoharie-Otsego county line, but that was put up about 5-10 years ago and may have been part of a multi-state effort to mark the Chesapeake Bay watershed boundary (much more elaborate signs exist on I-80 in PA, for instance) and the Seeley Creek Watershed on NY 328 near Elmira.

Dougtone

I've seen these signs on I-86 and I-88 recently as well, both for major projects and not quite as major projects.

vdeane

Also missing are 3 (well, formerly, as NY's numbers are a continuation of PA's and PA exit 3 was exit 2 before the switch to mile-based numbers), 5, and 55 (reserved for an extension of Clemons Center Parkway).

117 was an exit for Tarbell Road.  Not sure when it was removed, but Historic Aerials has it disappearing sometime in the 90s or 2000s.  I just assumed it was open in 1999 when I did my April Fools Day prank (yes, the NY 17 exit list took a VERY large chunk of the time spend on that).
http://www.nysroads.com/1999/ny17list.php
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on July 06, 2016, 06:36:22 PM

I've seen these signs on I-86 and I-88 recently as well, both for major projects and not quite as major projects.

There's one for the minor bridge projects on I-88 WB east of Cobleskill. NY 146 has one for the Rexford Bridge replacement. That is the first I have seen in R1.

Lake Erie watershed signs are present on US 20, US 20A (near the brake check area west of Warsaw), and US 219 (north of Ellicottville just south of the parking area). There may be others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.