News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: vdeane on July 06, 2016, 07:35:30 PM
Also missing are 3 (well, formerly, as NY's numbers are a continuation of PA's and PA exit 3 was exit 2 before the switch to mile-based numbers), 5, and 55 (reserved for an extension of Clemons Center Parkway).

117 was an exit for Tarbell Road.  Not sure when it was removed, but Historic Aerials has it disappearing sometime in the 90s or 2000s.  I just assumed it was open in 1999 when I did my April Fools Day prank (yes, the NY 17 exit list took a VERY large chunk of the time spend on that).
http://www.nysroads.com/1999/ny17list.php

Now I see why I missed it on HA [117], that's a ramp hard to catch from above.

55 makes sense as well and I see where it would be.

Still leaves 88, 91 and 95. 88 is especially weird because there is an 87A.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 09:01:11 PM
Also missing are 3 (well, formerly, as NY's numbers are a continuation of PA's and PA exit 3 was exit 2 before the switch to mile-based numbers), 5, and 55 (reserved for an extension of Clemons Center Parkway).

117 was an exit for Tarbell Road.  Not sure when it was removed, but Historic Aerials has it disappearing sometime in the 90s or 2000s.  I just assumed it was open in 1999 when I did my April Fools Day prank (yes, the NY 17 exit list took a VERY large chunk of the time spend on that).

You're forgetting 118A. NY 17M at its western terminus. Removed around the same time as 117. EB exit, WB entrance.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on July 06, 2016, 09:20:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 09:01:11 PM

You're forgetting 118A. NY 17M at its western terminus. Removed around the same time as 117. EB exit, WB entrance.

118A I knew. I'm asking on the ones I'm baffled on. I've gone through numerous aerials and topos and can't find answers for 88, 91 or 95.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Duke87

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 09:36:37 PM
I've gone through numerous aerials and topos and can't find answers for 88, 91 or 95.

The Quickway was already built west of Hancock and east of Parksville by the time that segment broke ground (late 60s). Is it possible that the state simply overestimated how many interchanges there would be when numbering things east of there and ended up needing to skip a few numbers once they filled the gap?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

That could explain 91 and 95, assuming they were numbered back then (also 3 and 5 at the western end), but not 88 due to the presence of exit 87A.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

On a different topic, I found some pictures of the infamous I-87 grade crossing just south of the Twin Bridges. This page has them. Similar to the NY 49 and US 4 expressway grade crossings, it has signals and crossbucks, but no gates.

Back to the signs: there's at least one at the circle stack for the South Mall bridge rehab.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on July 07, 2016, 05:38:05 PM
On a different topic, I found some pictures of the infamous I-87 grade crossing just south of the Twin Bridges. This page has them. Similar to the NY 49 and US 4 expressway grade crossings, it has signals and crossbucks, but no gates.

Back to the signs: there's at least one at the circle stack for the South Mall bridge rehab.

Oh wow. I lived up here for over a decade now and never knew of a railroad at-grade crossing on the Northway. The trail I walk on regularly is part of the same old railroad, but I had assumed that they just shut the railroad down before the Northway was built.

froggie

Only error of note is that, despite what that website owner was told and thought, the Northway rail crossing was not the only at-grade rail crossing on an interstate.  I-95 had been designated along the Shirley Highway (today's I-395) in northern Virginia by then, and had an at-grade crossing of the W&OD (Washington & Old Dominion) that existed for several years until that railroad was shut down in 1968.

machias

I noticed new "ENTERING Lake Ontario Watershed" sign on I-90 (NYS Thruway) WB just east of the NY Route 26 overpass in Oneida County, Town of Westmoreland. The sign is identical to the sign EB out by Batavia (FHWA fonts and all that) but the supports are not nearly as sturdy.

There was no watershed sign in the EB sign at that location as far as I could see.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 10, 2016, 05:42:56 PM
I noticed new "ENTERING Lake Ontario Watershed" sign on I-90 (NYS Thruway) WB just east of the NY Route 26 overpass in Oneida County, Town of Westmoreland. The sign is identical to the sign EB out by Batavia (FHWA fonts and all that) but the supports are not nearly as sturdy.

There was no watershed sign in the EB sign at that location as far as I could see.

When I was through last week, there was not.

Buffaboy

This might be a trivial question, but I've always wondered, why is New Armour Road in Orchard Park built like a bypass?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

okc1

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 10, 2016, 11:35:06 PM
This might be a trivial question, but I've always wondered, why is New Armour Road in Orchard Park built like a bypass?
Because those on the existing Armor-Duells Crs Rd didn't want all the traffic headed to NY 240 (many skiers) or Chestnut Ridge Park.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

vdeane

Here's something interesting... the I-81 project in Syracuse is part of the keynote address for the Walk-Bike NY conference... makes one wonder if this is a tell as to which option NYSDOT is leaning towards?
https://www.itsmr.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Walk-Bike-2016-Agenda-for-web.pdf

(personal speculation emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Another pic I found. I was going to put it in one of the signs-related threads, but this isn't about signs.

http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/susq_cny.html

The pic I'm focusing on is one of a former Lackawanna station in Norwich, New York.

http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/susq_cny/norw480.jpg

I noticed some old wooden road closing gates at the dead end street next to it on both sides of the tracks. It looks like that road used to cross the tracks until sometime in the (mid?) 20th Century.

Another thing; What's the point of keeping NY 22 only two lanes wide between I-684 and CR 54? They aren't using the reservoirs as an excuse, are they? Also, I finally spotted an NY 22 sign on US 1 that I missed the chance to take a picture of. I didn't think anybody in NYCDOT gave a shit about that.

Bumppoman

No pics, but I-86 was signed from exit 67 west to the Broome County line over the past week.  This corresponds with new To 86 signs being mounted throughout the Binghamton area.  The majority of on-ramps have a supplemental TO banner temporarily mounted to the I-86 shields.  However, the new I-86 assemblies posted on the highway in Vestal do not have this.  They are on signposts above NY-17 shields.

mariethefoxy

So they got this new Rest Stop being worked on in Commack on 495 between Exits 51 and 52.

http://www.smithtownmatters.com/politics-government/2016/3/22/dot-to-convert-lie-parking-area-to-taste-of-ny-welcome-cente.html

One of the issues is the current Rest Area is a common place for truckers to park in order to take a nap and the new one will be banning trucks from parking there.

Apparently theres a new Truck stop being planned further east on the island but I dont normally drive that far out to check on that.

cl94

Quote from: Bumppoman on July 17, 2016, 08:41:03 AM
No pics, but I-86 was signed from exit 67 west to the Broome County line over the past week.  This corresponds with new To 86 signs being mounted throughout the Binghamton area.  The majority of on-ramps have a supplemental TO banner temporarily mounted to the I-86 shields.  However, the new I-86 assemblies posted on the highway in Vestal do not have this.  They are on signposts above NY-17 shields.

So they removed the NY 17 shields that were covering them. They've been up for years under NY 17 shields throughout the entirety of Region 9 minus the immediate Hale Eddy area and around Prospect Mountain.

Bumppoman

Quote from: cl94 on July 17, 2016, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: Bumppoman on July 17, 2016, 08:41:03 AM

So they removed the NY 17 shields that were covering them. They've been up for years under NY 17 shields throughout the entirety of Region 9 minus the immediate Hale Eddy area and around Prospect Mountain.

No, these are completely new assemblies.  They're replacing all of the assemblies throughout Broome County.  I watched them install several of them over the past week.

kalvado

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 10, 2016, 05:42:56 PM

And a very similar "Lake Erie watershed" is further down the WB road.

Dougtone

While it's been some time since I've drove around in circles in Malta, NY until I puked (seriously, there's more roundabouts than traffic lights in that town), I drove around the Luther Forest area of Malta (over where Global Foundries is located) after my walk this evening. Previously unbeknownst to me are four new Saratoga County routes that have been recently posted (not on the NYSDOT logs yet). They are...

CR 72 is Hundred Acre Woods Way
CR 73 is Rocket Drive
CR 77 is Stone Break Road / Stone Break Extension
CR 78 is Luther Forest Boulevard

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on July 20, 2016, 09:23:45 PM
While it's been some time since I've drove around in circles in Malta, NY until I puked (seriously, there's more roundabouts than traffic lights in that town), I drove around the Luther Forest area of Malta (over where Global Foundries is located) after my walk this evening. Previously unbeknownst to me are four new Saratoga County routes that have been recently posted (not on the NYSDOT logs yet). They are...

CR 73 is Rocket Drive

Didn't know those were county routes. I was up that way a couple months ago and they were certainly not posted. Also didn't realize that Saratoga County left room in their numbering scheme for extra routes given the presence of the scattered 100-series routes.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on July 20, 2016, 09:29:34 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on July 20, 2016, 09:23:45 PM

CR 73 is Rocket Drive

Didn't know those were county routes. I was up that way a couple months ago and they were certainly not posted. Also didn't realize that Saratoga County left room in their numbering scheme for extra routes given the presence of the scattered 100-series routes.

I think that Saratoga County has unused county route numbers reserved throughout the county, scattered throughout their route numbering scheme. There's certainly quite a few unused numbers between 1-100.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on July 20, 2016, 09:38:20 PM
I think that Saratoga County has unused county route numbers reserved throughout the county. There's certainly quite a few unused numbers between 1-100.

I looked through the listing and noticed that, which really makes me wonder about the 100 series. Each of those routes has an unused number that would fit.

Stephane Dumas

NYSDOT had posted a bunch of photos of the construction of the new Kosciusko bridge who'll replace the current one. https://www.dot.ny.gov/kbridge/photos

The Ghostbuster

Although the new bridge is getting more lanes than the existing bridge, is there room to add additional lanes to the bridge's approaches?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.