News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 21, 2016, 04:38:21 PM
Although the new bridge is getting more lanes than the existing bridge, is there room to add additional lanes to the bridge's approaches?

They'll be widening it from the LIE on the north side to the first exit on the south side. They can't widen too far south without taking out a bunch of houses. Honestly, making the bridge wider should do wonders, as that's the choke point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Although the new bridge is getting more lanes than the existing bridge, is there room to add additional lanes to the bridge's approaches?
Right now you have quite a bit of merge heading westbound. That'll be cleared up. Eastbound you get the lane added from the surface streets, and it carries through to the LIE. There will be a lot better lane balance.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2016, 07:59:16 PM
Right now you have quite a bit of merge heading westbound. That'll be cleared up. Eastbound you get the lane added from the surface streets, and it carries through to the LIE. There will be a lot better lane balance.

Isn't it going to be 5 WB and 4 EB? That changes the 3 -> 1 merge from the LIE to a weave, which, while tighter than it could be, will do wonders for preventing the 24/7 backup on the WB side of the bridge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on July 21, 2016, 08:13:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2016, 07:59:16 PM

Isn't it going to be 5 WB and 4 EB? That changes the 3 -> 1 merge from the LIE to a weave, which, while tighter than it could be, will do wonders for preventing the 24/7 backup on the WB side of the bridge.
Cor, I don't remember, I only designed the damn thing. :-D One of the directions has a 2-lane through route and 3-lane C-D road but I could swear that was eastbound - which is the bridge that is being built now and will open right away. The future westbound bridge, not part of the current contract (they are going to wait to see how traffic does and then see if they can fund it), will be the 4 laner.

Michael

Last night, I found a couple interesting videos on YouTube.  This one is a precast deck section being lifted into place on the I-690 westbound bridge over North Salina Street in Syracuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02R_LPTDsiI

This one is the demolition of the old I-81/NY 17 bridges over the Chenango River in Binghamton from several different angles.  It was taken by the company that did the explosives on the bridges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwJoUe3GyI

route17fan

More state line signage being placed -

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-notices

D263278, D263279, D263280, and D263281 in each supplemental information link has the updated state line sign (white on blue) with I (heart) NY app information, and what looks to be a new independent sign for NY Parks, stating "New York Outdoor Recreation" (in all caps)

Also, "New York" in mixed case Raavi Bold.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

machias

Quote from: route17fan on August 17, 2016, 08:40:53 AM
More state line signage being placed -

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-notices

D263278, D263279, D263280, and D263281 in each supplemental information link has the updated state line sign (white on blue) with I (heart) NY app information, and what looks to be a new independent sign for NY Parks, stating "New York Outdoor Recreation" (in all caps)

Also, "New York" in mixed case Raavi Bold.

These are the signs I saw on the Thruway and the lighter blue portions look badly faded.  I think they've been up two weeks.  Not a good design at all.

cl94

NYSTA added another one of those things these south of Exit 23. Again, I don't know why.

Jim

Quote from: cl94 on August 17, 2016, 03:15:47 PM
NYSTA added another one of those things these south of Exit 23. Again, I don't know why.

I've been on the Thruway a lot in the last few weeks, and each time there seems to be a new collection of these things popping up.  I don't think the ones in the Syracuse area were there a few weeks ago, and were this week.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cl94

Looking at some of the locations for these, the blue signs often replace brand new "state of opportunity" signs. What a waste.

Buffaboy

Yeah every time o get on the Thruway now around Buffalo they're all over the place. There are smaller versions of signs that don't really tell drivers much and act almost as billboards for the governor's pet projects like the wine country stuff and TasteNY™...
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Jim on August 17, 2016, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 17, 2016, 03:15:47 PM

I've been on the Thruway a lot in the last few weeks, and each time there seems to be a new collection of these things popping up.  I don't think the ones in the Syracuse area were there a few weeks ago, and were this week.

They're being installed betweens Thruway exits 31 and 32. At least, I'm pretty sure as there are sign post mounts for several signs in succession.  In speaking with friends that work at NYSDOT R2, apparently they're going up on the NYSDOT freeways in Utica-Rome area as well.

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 17, 2016, 05:27:04 PM
Yeah every time o get on the Thruway now around Buffalo they're all over the place. There are smaller versions of signs that don't really tell drivers much and act almost as billboards for the governor's pet projects like the wine country stuff and TasteNY™...

I completely agree that these are nothing more than legislated billboards mounted close to the road. Frivolous waste.

kalvado

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 17, 2016, 06:27:25 PM

I completely agree that these are nothing more than legislated billboards mounted close to the road. Frivolous waste.
I've seen a bunch of blue signs advertizing I love NY app. No information at all.
SOmething like this:

cl94

The one south of 23 is basically a welcome sign. I'm trying to figure out how they're going to put the succession on NY 2. There's a cliff on the right side.

amroad17

Whatever happened to...

Welcome to
     NEW YORK

The Empire State

Not "jazzy" enough?  Boring?

It would look good on a blue sign.

Leave the apps and websites for the rest areas and service areas.  The old welcome signs have to be better than this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

noelbotevera

Quote from: amroad17 on August 18, 2016, 06:04:30 AM
Whatever happened to...

Welcome to
     NEW YORK

The Empire State

Not "jazzy" enough?  Boring?

It would look good on a blue sign.

Leave the apps and websites for the rest areas and service areas.  The old welcome signs have to be better than this.
I'd love it if the governor's name was still on it. It'd be even better with button copy.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kkt

I don't like governors' names on public works projects.  It makes it look like they paid for it personally or that the public works project would never have happened without them, which is rarely the case.  Let them pay for their own reelection propaganda.

Jim

I was disappointed to see on my way to Albany today that there is now a series of those silly signs on the Thruway EB approaching 25.  They weren't there as of last week.  You know, I'd be tempted to download their silly app if the existence of these signs didn't bother me so much.  I think the ones coming up on 25 are especially bad as they're interspersed with existing (meaningful) signs that are already pretty densely clustered.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Roadgeek Adam

Given where they've popped up: 23, 24, 50, 53, among others, there is clearly a reason they have it on the Thruway at exits in the main cities.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

IMO if the Thruway is signing all this stuff they can sign county line signs.  Seriously.  They're proving themselves to be hypocrites with every single one of these signs they erect.  Does I <3 NY use county names?  Because it would be really ironic if they did.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2016, 05:22:32 PM
IMO if the Thruway is signing all this stuff they can sign county line signs.  Seriously.  They're proving themselves to be hypocrites with every single one of these signs they erect.  Does I <3 NY use county names?  Because it would be really ironic if they did.
problem is that county lines may be somewhat useful. Sign needs to be completely useless to get admitted to Thruway mainline.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on August 18, 2016, 05:25:13 PM
problem is that county lines may be somewhat useful. Sign needs to be completely useless to get admitted to Thruway mainline.

Let's see, every state line, every airport, every major city...

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on August 18, 2016, 07:52:53 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 18, 2016, 05:25:13 PM

Let's see, every state line, every airport, every major city...
Every watershed, every Erie canal crossing...
BGS are in a different group, apparently. But looks like there is no reasonable system.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kalvado on August 17, 2016, 06:44:06 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 17, 2016, 06:27:25 PM

I've seen a bunch of blue signs advertizing I love NY app. No information at all.
SOmething like this:

Funny, that looks more like a "Path Through History" sign with the app ad on the bottom to me. They have these at any sites where they have something historic.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Orient_Historic_District_sign_on_NY_25.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oysterponds_Historical_Society-4.JPG

They even have them at Subway stations:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grand_Concourse_HD_Path_Through_History_@_167th_Street-Jerome.JPG

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.