News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

I have no problem promoting NY tourism, including to NY residents.  I assume that's why they're all over the place.  I'm no marketing or advertising expert, but I just don't think these signs will accomplish that in any significant way, at borders or anywhere else.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on September 09, 2016, 12:36:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 09, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on September 09, 2016, 03:54:02 AM
I also have a problem with them being posted in the middle of the damn state...

That too, as well.

My favorite for this are the ones on the Thruway in Syracuse. No matter where you came from, you've already been in New York for 2 hours. With the ones on the SB Thruway in Albany, somebody passing them would have been in New York for at least 3-4 hours. At that point, a good portion of travelers are getting off at the Berkshire Spur and going straight to MA.
Well... some people traveling from Syracuse may be those who have flown to SYR, got a rental car and heading somewhere else. While those are likely a small minority, still the point is that could be the first time someone sees those signs! And I assume it can take less than 2 hours to rent a car at the airport and get on a highway.
but putting an extra set of signs over there is a must! sorry, I mean we can make sure rental agencies give out those leaflets...

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2016, 10:29:57 PM
$25 million of my tax dollars could have been spent better.

Good heavens. What tax bracket are you in? ;-)

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 09, 2016, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 08, 2016, 10:29:57 PM
$25 million of my tax dollars could have been spent better.

Good heavens. What tax bracket are you in? ;-)

A higher one than I should be. Education grants are treated as taxable income.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

Quote from: kalvado on September 09, 2016, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 09, 2016, 12:36:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 09, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on September 09, 2016, 03:54:02 AM
I also have a problem with them being posted in the middle of the damn state...

That too, as well.

My favorite for this are the ones on the Thruway in Syracuse. No matter where you came from, you've already been in New York for 2 hours. With the ones on the SB Thruway in Albany, somebody passing them would have been in New York for at least 3-4 hours. At that point, a good portion of travelers are getting off at the Berkshire Spur and going straight to MA.
Well... some people traveling from Syracuse may be those who have flown to SYR, got a rental car and heading somewhere else. While those are likely a small minority, still the point is that could be the first time someone sees those signs! And I assume it can take less than 2 hours to rent a car at the airport and get on a highway.
but putting an extra set of signs over there is a must! sorry, I mean we can make sure rental agencies give out those leaflets...

I would agree except that the Cuomo signs are now along the roadway leading out of Syracuse Airport. :) 

roadman

Quote from: Jim on September 09, 2016, 01:04:39 PM
I have no problem promoting NY tourism, including to NY residents.  I assume that's why they're all over the place.  I'm no marketing or advertising expert, but I just don't think these signs will accomplish that in any significant way, at borders or anywhere else.
I have no problem with promoting NY tourism either.  However, I have a huge problem giving PRIVATE businesses highway signs at the taxpayer's expense.  It's nothing more than government sponsored advertising.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: Jim on August 26, 2016, 09:52:29 AM
I am thinking that I can live with a Geico sign at the rest area if some of the cost of its maintenance is paid for by Geico instead of my tax dollars.
I respectfully disagree.  The public is already increasingly subjected to private advertising messages, we DO NOT need even more of them at PUBLIC facilities that the government is supposed to be responsible for providing and maintaining.  And of course Geico then will claim they lose money on the deal (which the probably do anyway) so they then can write the costs off on their taxes.  Who ultimately ends up paying for the 'private' sponsorship then?

And, with all due respect to your views on this matter, it is truly unfortunate that so many people in today's society are willing to accept the intrusion of even more advertising hawking products and services, the majority of which we DON'T need, into our lives.  Too bad that George Orwell got it wrong in 1984 - It's not excessive government intrusion into every aspect of our lives that's become the problem, it's excessive intrusion into every aspect of our lives by the marketing executives we should be concerned about.  Sadly, we are continually losing that battle.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

machias

Quote from: roadman on September 09, 2016, 05:59:17 PM
I am thinking that I can live with a Geico sign at the rest area if some of the cost of its maintenance is paid for by Geico instead of my tax dollars.
I respectfully disagree.  The public is already increasingly subjected to private advertising messages, we DO NOT need even more of them at PUBLIC facilities that the government is supposed to be responsible for providing and maintaining.  And of course Geico then will claim they lose money on the deal (which the probably do anyway) so they then can write the costs off on their taxes.  Who ultimately ends up paying for the 'private' sponsorship then?

And, with all due respect to your views on this matter, it is truly unfortunate that so many people in today's society are willing to accept the intrusion of even more advertising hawking products and services, the majority of which we DON'T need, into our lives.  Too bad that George Orwell got it wrong in 1984 - It's not excessive government intrusion into every aspect of our lives that's become the problem, it's excessive intrusion into every aspect of our lives by the marketing executives we should be concerned about.  Sadly, we are continually losing that battle.

Hear, hear! Couldn't have said it better myself.

noelbotevera

Quote from: roadman on September 09, 2016, 05:59:17 PM

It's because of how advertising got to us. It worked at first, but at some point, people began to become reserved, accept that advertising is everywhere, and ignore each and every ad. That's why software such as adblockers exist.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

mariethefoxy

dont know if it was mentioned but theres one of those new Welcome to NY signs on the approach to the Lower Level of the Verezano, just before the bridge and it curves under the upper level roadway.

cl94

The new FYAs on Central Avenue in Colonie just west of NY 155 are active. Unlike most in the area, these appear to be operating protected-only during the day. They likely revert to permissive at night or if traffic is light. Definitely an improvement over having it protected 24/7 as before.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Just drove by a new set of Cuomo signs Westbound on the LIE in between exit 40E and 40W. What a wierd spot for those to go

mariethefoxy

its past Exit 40W, its right by the onramp from NY 25 West, just before the curve at the Old Westbury Village line. Unless they moved it AGAIN

That set used to be by Route 135

Snappyjack

There are a new set of tourism signs on the southbound Thruway between exits 21B and 21. The weirdest spot for these yet, and put up within the last week. They are posted almost right on top of each other. How many more of these installations are really needed? It's starting to become a joke.

kalvado

Quote from: Snappyjack on September 12, 2016, 05:15:35 AM
There are a new set of tourism signs on the southbound Thruway between exits 21B and 21. The weirdest spot for these yet, and put up within the last week. They are posted almost right on top of each other. How many more of these installations are really needed? It's starting to become a joke.
It was a joke 2 weeks ago. By now it evolved to farce.

dgolub

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 11, 2016, 11:41:53 PM
its past Exit 40W, its right by the onramp from NY 25 West, just before the curve at the Old Westbury Village line. Unless they moved it AGAIN

That set used to be by Route 135

What the heck?  Why?  That's such a weird place for them.  I could see coming across the Queens-Nassau border or over one of the bridges somewhere, but why there?

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2016, 07:45:45 AM

They put them THERE? There's another set 20 miles north of there.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on September 12, 2016, 09:56:49 AM

I bet this is for those coming from Masspike. Or is there another set at state  border?

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2016, 11:00:17 AM
Quote from: cl94 on September 12, 2016, 09:56:49 AM

I bet this is for those coming from Masspike. Or is there another set at state  border?

There is a set at the border. Those were the first NYSTA put up years ago.

vdeane

I can understand the LIE ones between exits 39 and 40.  It's really the only major gap between exits until near Riverhead.  The Thruway ones are probably for the Catskills or something; is there another set further south somewhere, perhaps south of exits 19 or 20?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2016, 01:02:24 PM
I can understand the LIE ones between exits 39 and 40.  It's really the only major gap between exits until near Riverhead.
Personally, I'd rather see them spend the money on reviving the Wantagh State Parkway extension to the LIE.

froggie

The money spent on these signs wouldn't even get you through project planning, D-Dey.  Let alone utility relocation or beyond...

dgolub

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 13, 2016, 01:44:47 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2016, 01:02:24 PM
I can understand the LIE ones between exits 39 and 40.  It's really the only major gap between exits until near Riverhead.
Personally, I'd rather see them spend the money on reviving the Wantagh State Parkway extension to the LIE.

Yeah, good luck with getting any new highway built on Long Island.  If only...

okc1

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2016, 02:05:06 PM
For the amount of money they've been spending on this, they could probably have converted the state to mileage-based exit numbers.  I hope someone at FHWA is reading this thread.  Should make life interesting the next time the state claims it has no money for a conversion.
vdeane,  Are you involved with the Tupper Lake - Lake Placid rail to trail conversion?  The money spent on the signs could easily have covered this cost.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

cl94

Quote from: okc1 on September 13, 2016, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2016, 02:05:06 PM
For the amount of money they've been spending on this, they could probably have converted the state to mileage-based exit numbers.  I hope someone at FHWA is reading this thread.  Should make life interesting the next time the state claims it has no money for a conversion.
vdeane,  Are you involved with the Tupper Lake - Lake Placid rail to trail conversion?  The money spent on the signs could easily have covered this cost.

Don't get me started on how much of a waste that is. A trail nobody would use, while they could try and restart rail service.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.