News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on September 13, 2016, 09:49:22 AM
Quote from: okc1 on September 13, 2016, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2016, 02:05:06 PM
For the amount of money they've been spending on this, they could probably have converted the state to mileage-based exit numbers.  I hope someone at FHWA is reading this thread.  Should make life interesting the next time the state claims it has no money for a conversion.
vdeane,  Are you involved with the Tupper Lake - Lake Placid rail to trail conversion?  The money spent on the signs could easily have covered this cost.

Don't get me started on how much of a waste that is. A trail nobody would use, while they could try and restart rail service.

The buffoonery of the decision, but welcome to America, 2016.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

D-Dey65

Don't get me started on how much of a waste that is. A trail nobody would use, while they could try and restart rail service.
Let me guess; A trail that would better serve the Adirondack Scenic Railroad.

froggie

Quote from: cl94A trail nobody would use

What's your rationale for claiming this?

cl94

Quote from: froggie on September 13, 2016, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: cl94A trail nobody would use

What's your rationale for claiming this?

Access points are few and far between, with the trail often being a good 10-20 miles from the nearest road. Furthermore, there are a couple resort communities only accessible by rail or boat. Take out the rails and there goes a transportation option.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I'm not gonna go near that one with a ten foot pole, other than to note that the proposed conversion actually ENDS some Adirondack Scenic Railroad service between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid (I think I read that this is their most profitable line) and put the brand new rail bikes company out of business.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 13, 2016, 10:09:28 PM
I'm not gonna go near that one with a ten foot pole, other than to note that the proposed conversion actually ENDS some Adirondack Scenic Railroad service between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid (I think I read that this is their most profitable line) and put the brand new rail bikes company out of business.

Correct. There have been proposals to get a long-distance train going between Utica and Lake Placid as well. From what I can tell, it's basically a bunch of snowmobilers that want even more trails.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

Quote from: okc1 on September 13, 2016, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2016, 02:05:06 PM
For the amount of money they've been spending on this, they could probably have converted the state to mileage-based exit numbers.  I hope someone at FHWA is reading this thread.  Should make life interesting the next time the state claims it has no money for a conversion.
vdeane,  Are you involved with the Tupper Lake - Lake Placid rail to trail conversion?  The money spent on the signs could easily have covered this cost.

Yes when I was in Utica and heard about this it was hard for me to wrap my head around such a silly idea.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

KEVIN_224

I have a question about I-84 near Exit 3 in Waywayanda...There's some massive plant or project being built very near this exit.

This was from US Route 6 west back in August:

This was from I-84 West, just after Exit 3 and before the bridge for US Route 6. This is from Tuesday, September 13th:

A search largely turned up nothing. Maybe a power plant of sorts? Hmmmm!  :hmmm:

Sam

Jim

I also think it's hilarious that someone is so enamored with those "New York Experience" signs we've been talking about so much that the television ad about it mostly just shows a series of those signs!  A quick search for a video link came up empty.  Maybe someone else would have more luck tracking it down.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

route17fan

Quote from: Jim on September 15, 2016, 07:41:11 PM
I also think it's hilarious that someone is so enamored with those "New York Experience" signs we've been talking about so much that the television ad about it mostly just shows a series of those signs!  A quick search for a video link came up empty.  Maybe someone else would have more luck tracking it down.

I too have been trying to look for it on YouTube but was not able to see it either.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cu2010

On a trip to the Finger Lakes this weekend, I saw a set of the "New York State Experience" signs on the Thruway between Exits 39 and 40...and another set between 41 and 42. Both directions.

...really?
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

I noticed new plans online for a signing project in NYSDOT Region 9. It's project D263275.  I've sent an email to R9 about the small errors in the first two shown below.  The third is going to be quite the post-interchange destination mileage sign!

empirestate

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 25, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
I noticed new plans online for a signing project in NYSDOT Region 9. It's project D263275.  I've sent an email to R9 about the small errors in the first two shown below.

Let's see...exit tab should be shifted over to align with the inside of the rounded corner on the main panel; "mile" and "exit" should be in small caps; the NY 7 shield is probably too small–and I assume it's a given that the second sign isn't in the right colors. What else?

Roadgeek Adam

You got a link by chance? I just looked at the plans online and found nothing.
Adam Seth Moss

dgolub

Is this supposed to mean that they're going to be signing I-86 all the way east to I-81 now?

Buffaboy

Side note, that's the first I've ever heard of a "SUNY Sullivan."
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

It's in one of the supplemental zip files, IIRC. Noticed those signs as well.

roadman

Quote from: empirestate on September 25, 2016, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 25, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
I noticed new plans online for a signing project in NYSDOT Region 9. It's project D263275.  I've sent an email to R9 about the small errors in the first two shown below.

Let's see…exit tab should be shifted over to align with the inside of the rounded corner on the main panel; "mile" and "exit" should be in small caps; the NY 7 shield is probably too small—and I assume it's a given that the second sign isn't in the right colors. What else?
Not to mention that the major guide sign has smaller lettering than the supplemental guide sign does.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 26, 2016, 10:59:46 AM

I believe that's how they're referring to the community colleges now.

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 26, 2016, 12:00:03 PM

iPhone

Some of them. Adirondack Community College became "SUNY Adirondack", for example. I think the ones being referred to as "SUNY X" have dorms, while the "community colleges" do not.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on September 26, 2016, 12:02:41 PM

iPhone

Some of them. Adirondack Community College became "SUNY Adirondack", for example. I think the ones being referred to as "SUNY X" have dorms, while the "community colleges" do not.

SUNY Orange has no dorms.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 26, 2016, 12:11:44 PM

iPhone

Then I have no clue. Adirondack and Sullivan changed their names when they got dorms.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on September 26, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 26, 2016, 12:11:44 PM

iPhone

Then I have no clue. Adirondack and Sullivan changed their names when they got dorms.

I gave up a long time ago and just call them their CC name. I'm sure they had some rhyme or reason for the changes, but it's not like they are 4-year schools.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

To the trained eye, this typo is a lot more glaring. The hamlet and town are Callicoon with two Ls, not one L.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.