News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: cu2010 on September 25, 2016, 08:05:21 PM
On a trip to the Finger Lakes this weekend, I saw a set of the "New York State Experience" signs on the Thruway between Exits 39 and 40...and another set between 41 and 42. Both directions.

...really?
That's definitely new.  They weren't there Labor Day.  I can see the method to the madness on the ones entering/exiting a metro area... but these new ones make no sense at all!  I suspect they're just doing it to ruin my Thruway experience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2016, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on September 25, 2016, 08:05:21 PM
On a trip to the Finger Lakes this weekend, I saw a set of the "New York State Experience" signs on the Thruway between Exits 39 and 40...and another set between 41 and 42. Both directions.

...really?
That's definitely new.  They weren't there Labor Day.  I can see the method to the madness on the ones entering/exiting a metro area... but these new ones make no sense at all!  I suspect they're just doing it to ruin my Thruway experience.

41-42 are exits to Finger lakes areas, and Geneva is sort of a resort town. If that is the case, something should come up near exit 21 as well.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 26, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 26, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 26, 2016, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 26, 2016, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: empirestate on September 26, 2016, 12:00:03 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on September 26, 2016, 10:59:46 AM
Side note, that's the first I've ever heard of a "SUNY Sullivan."

I believe that's how they're referring to the community colleges now.

iPhone

Some of them. Adirondack Community College became "SUNY Adirondack", for example. I think the ones being referred to as "SUNY X" have dorms, while the "community colleges" do not.

SUNY Orange has no dorms.

Then I have no clue. Adirondack and Sullivan changed their names when they got dorms.

I gave up a long time ago and just call them their CC name. I'm sure they had some rhyme or reason for the changes, but it's not like they are 4-year schools.

Glancing at the list on SUNY's web site, it doesn't look as though they officially refer to any of them in this way (even the 4-year colleges that have traditionally been known as "SUNY Brockport", for example). So perhaps this is just some convention NYSDOT has adopted for its signing practices, though possibly at the request of SUNY to emphasize the schools' affiliation with the state university.

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 26, 2016, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 26, 2016, 12:21:00 PM

iPhone

Some of them. Adirondack Community College became "SUNY Adirondack", for example. I think the ones being referred to as "SUNY X" have dorms, while the "community colleges" do not.

Then I have no clue. Adirondack and Sullivan changed their names when they got dorms.

I gave up a long time ago and just call them their CC name. I'm sure they had some rhyme or reason for the changes, but it's not like they are 4-year schools.

Glancing at the list on SUNY's web site, it doesn't look as though they officially refer to any of them in this way (even the 4-year colleges that have traditionally been known as "SUNY Brockport", for example). So perhaps this is just some convention NYSDOT has adopted for its signing practices, though possibly at the request of SUNY to emphasize the schools' affiliation with the state university.

iPhone

Adirondack, Canton, Sullivan and Ulster definitely do.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeek Adam

http://www.sunyorange.edu/

The SUNY Orange website gives that away.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Bumppoman

That I-88 exit 12 sign is a direct replacement of the ugly one that's been there for about 15 years.  Hopefully they take your suggestion seriously, because some bad signs have been going up lately in Region 9.  They just posted some horrendous new ones on US-11 in Binghamton at NY-7, including a lovely NY-11 shield.

machias

Quote from: Bumppoman on September 27, 2016, 08:07:11 AM
That I-88 exit 12 sign is a direct replacement of the ugly one that's been there for about 15 years.  Hopefully they take your suggestion seriously, because some bad signs have been going up lately in Region 9.  They just posted some horrendous new ones on US-11 in Binghamton at NY-7, including a lovely NY-11 shield.

Heard back from R9 and they have already made the corrections I suggested. Apparently all plans get run by Traffic and Safety now for accuracy and adherence to the Federal MUTCD. This is the first time I've heard about that extra layer of checking.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 27, 2016, 10:30:13 AM

Heard back from R9 and they have already made the corrections I suggested. Apparently all plans get run by Traffic and Safety now for accuracy and adherence to the Federal MUTCD. This is the first time I've heard about that extra layer of checking.

They get the Callicoon one as well?
Adam Seth Moss

machias

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 27, 2016, 12:31:37 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 27, 2016, 10:30:13 AM

They get the Callicoon one as well?

I mentioned the Callicoon error to them in a separate email.  I didn't pick up on that until it was mentioned here.

cl94

Region 8 is in the middle of installing exit numbers for the Taconic in Westchester. Gore signs are up and covered, some tabs have been installed NB. As noted when the plans came out, numbers are mile-based.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on September 27, 2016, 02:52:51 PM
Region 8 is in the middle of installing exit numbers for the Taconic in Westchester. Gore signs are up and covered, some tabs have been installed NB. As noted when the plans came out, numbers are mile-based.

I am waiting every day for the contract plans for the second set because they are due.
Adam Seth Moss

mariethefoxy

I hope Region 8 abandons that awful practice of putting the street names in those little boxes, it makes it harder to read.

cl94

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 27, 2016, 03:58:46 PM
I hope Region 8 abandons that awful practice of putting the street names in those little boxes, it makes it harder to read.

Region 8 hasn't posted signs with boxes in years, thankfully.

machias

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 27, 2016, 03:58:46 PM

Regions 2 and 8 loved those boxes. Drive around Utica and you'll see illegible road names everywhere. Region 3 did it for a little while but I think Region 7 was the first one to include a box around a street name back in the late 1980s. I-81 Exit 52 had ISLAND RD in a box, all in button copy, back in the day. 

SignBridge

Happily Region-10 on Long Island never used that practice and has been posting street names in mixed-case lettering (along with place names) going all the way back to the early 1960's on the Long Island Expwy.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on September 26, 2016, 02:21:35 PM

Do what, have dorms?

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 27, 2016, 10:50:01 PM

Do what, have dorms?

iPhone
No, refer to themselves as SUNY X

SM-G920V

mariethefoxy

Quote from: SignBridge on September 27, 2016, 09:07:37 PM
Happily Region-10 on Long Island never used that practice and has been posting street names in mixed-case lettering (along with place names) going all the way back to the early 1960's on the Long Island Expwy.

R10 has their own quirks, such as the wierd way they numbered the parkway exits, and the lack of mile markers.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on September 27, 2016, 10:50:49 PM

Do what, have dorms?

iPhone

SM-G920V

Oh, OK. I was saying that SUNY itself doesn't refer to them as such in its list of campuses. I didn't go so far as to check individual schools' web sites. (And Canton is not a community college anyway, right?)

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 27, 2016, 11:37:53 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 27, 2016, 10:50:49 PM

Do what, have dorms?

iPhone

SM-G920V

Oh, OK. I was saying that SUNY itself doesn't refer to them as such in its list of campuses. I didn't go so far as to check individual schools' web sites. (And Canton is not a community college anyway, right?)

It is mainly a community college. They recently added some bachelor's programs in topics typically covered only by associate's degrees.

cl94

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 27, 2016, 11:33:19 PM

R10 has their own quirks, such as the wierd way they numbered the parkway exits, and the lack of mile markers.

Except on the eastern parts of the LIE and Sunrise Highway, exits are spaced closely enough that you don't really need the reference points for drivers.

Exit numbering, while certainly weird, is a really good way to ID the road given how many N/S parkways there are in Nassau and western Suffolk.

nyratk1

iPhone

Suffolk CCC seems to remain that except for their website address and social media tags (SUNY Suffolk). No dorms on any of their three campuses and probably never gonna happen. Odd move since it seems in recent years, the SUNY university centers de-emphasized the SUNY (Stony Brook and Buffalo most drastic)

dgolub

Unless it's a state route, in which case they don't post the street name at all.  You don't want to know how many Long Islanders don't know that Jericho Turnpike is NY 25 and Sunrise Highway is NY 27.

empirestate

Quote from: nyratk1 on September 28, 2016, 01:18:13 AM
Suffolk CCC seems to remain that except for their website address and social media tags (SUNY Suffolk). No dorms on any of their three campuses and probably never gonna happen.

Interesting, so it seems this might be something SUNY is doing after all (doubtful that the individual schools are coming up with it all independently of each other).

QuoteOdd move since it seems in recent years, the SUNY university centers de-emphasized the SUNY (Stony Brook and Buffalo most drastic)

Yes, they've probably been shifting the branding to denote those more as full-fledged universities rather than "lowly" state schools.

route17fan

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 25, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
I noticed new plans online for a signing project in NYSDOT Region 9. It's project D263275.  I've sent an email to R9 about the small errors in the first two shown below.  The third is going to be quite the post-interchange destination mileage sign!

In addition, Exit 92 has "Cook Falls" instead of "Cooks Falls" - AIEEE!! There's a bunch o' errors in this batch.  :wow:
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.