News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: GenExpwy on October 16, 2016, 07:01:16 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on October 15, 2016, 10:56:09 AM
I really don't understand what the objective here is with all of this.

It will be obvious two years from now, when Cuomo will be running non-stop re-election ads claiming that his "promotion of tourism" is creating a new golden era of prosperity for the state :rolleyes:.

So the objective of all this government spending is not any government purpose, but the re-election of King Andy.

King Andy has nothing on the Kings Daley.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

Makes sense.  He did recently change every agency's branding to be his campaign slogan.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I fully expect him to get a cabinet position in a Clinton administration. Next attorney general?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on October 16, 2016, 06:55:59 PM
I fully expect him to get a cabinet position in a Clinton administration. Next attorney general?
If Bharara doesn't file charges first..
It is getting a bit political.. But Cuomo seem to walk thin ice..

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on October 16, 2016, 06:55:59 PM

HUD secretary again
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on October 15, 2016, 08:21:42 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 14, 2016, 10:18:01 PM
- NYSDOT put a staffed gift shop/snack bar in the I-81 welcome center at Mile 2. I wonder how long it will be until the Feds remind them that new facilities of the sort are illegal on the Interstate system.
given the way  this tourism promotion is handled, I wonder if NYSDOT was actually informed about new development...

<.<

>.>

My belief is that NYSDOT is usually informed about a quarter before they're supposed to be constructed, at least in Upstate areas. :/

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

I guess they're trying to be funny here.

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

cl94

Another batch of Cuomo signs went up within the past 2 weeks. Northway NB north of Exit 12.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Next thing you know they'll be going up in the middle of the Adirondacks.   :rolleyes:

Anyways, there are sets both direction on the Thruway just south of exit 16.  The NB ones are intermixed with signs for exit 16 and the Woodbury toll.  Talk about sign overload.  Those signs would be better about three miles north of the service areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cu2010 on October 06, 2016, 11:51:25 PM
From the Governor's Office: MTA bridges and tunnels to go completely cashless
So now I'll have to spend more money to use them without an E-Z Pass, and a lot of people will be thrown out of work. Great job, Governor Cuomo.  Maybe in your next move, you can close down the Long Island Expressway and force everyone to crowd up some of the local roads.

:pan:

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 18, 2016, 01:41:50 PMMaybe in your next move, you can close down the Long Island Expressway and force everyone to crowd up some of the local roads.

:pan:
Please, don't give him any ideas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

route17fan

D263319 - heads up - it looks like the all text button copy on NY 5 at NY 30 is about to be replaced. https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263319  :-(
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Jim

Quote from: route17fan on October 18, 2016, 02:47:41 PM
D263319 - heads up - it looks like the all text button copy on NY 5 at NY 30 is about to be replaced. https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263319  :-(

That's too bad.  There's nothing wrong with the existing signs.  I don't see the point.  Now, if we were getting our very own set of "New York Experience" blue signs in Amsterdam, that would be exciting.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cl94

Region 5 is adding turn lanes and replacing signals on Walden Avenue and they're putting in the region's first PPLT FYAs on Galleria Drive (plans). Of course, in typical R5 fashion, there's something wrong here: side street doesn't get 2 signal heads with balls.

cl94

On a different topic, I found some more old Washington County CR "shields" today. CRs 61/64 in Shushan. Don't have a pic because they caught me by surprise, but we do have GSV. There's another one at the bridge over the Batten Kill. Oh, and if you want a real treat, this is nearby.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2016, 05:35:59 PM
Region 5 is adding turn lanes and replacing signals on Walden Avenue and they're putting in the region's first PPLT FYAs on Galleria Drive (plans). Of course, in typical R5 fashion, there's something wrong here: side street doesn't get 2 signal heads with balls.

When I worked in Cheektowaga during the summer I would enter the WB Thruway from Walden eastbound, and at Anderson Road I would just merge into the new lane that forms without necessarily signaling. Nothing crazy, but that's all I know about that intersection.

An observation from the new plan: I wonder why the new directional sign don't specify "Albany" or "Erie" as destinations. More cluelessness from NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
On a different topic, I found some more old Washington County CR "shields" today. CRs 61/64 in Shushan. Don't have a pic because they caught me by surprise, but we do have GSV. There's another one at the bridge over the Batten Kill. Oh, and if you want a real treat, this is nearby.

A really old precedent to the crossbucks. Really old. Given the size of Shushan, I can understand how its survived.

Regardless, we're halfway through fall and still no sign of the Taconic Stage 2 signage, due Fall 2016.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

We still have 2 months for the Taconic signage.

Washington County has a bunch of gems. The button copy "stop on red signal" remains in Shushan as well. Washington County and adjacent Vermont is so rural that stuff can go a long time without being seen.

SidS1045

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 18, 2016, 01:41:50 PMa lot of people will be thrown out of work. Great job, Governor Cuomo.

The press release said no one will be thrown out of work.  They will be reassigned to other jobs in the MTA.

The license plate recognition software is not, at this point, perfect (last figures I saw say it's about 95% accurate), and those license plate photos the software cannot interpret are sent to a person.  I'm guessing at least some of the toll collectors will be re-trained to fill those jobs.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

GenExpwy

On I-390, the Tourism Is Nifty! signs are a couple of miles before exit 6 northbound and exit 7 southbound.

Fortunately, a couple of the northbound signs are half-hidden behind the trees.

amroad17

Why does NYSDOT keep mentioning the TO routes before the route one is on or possibly turn on?

Examples:     TO    TO    TO    EAST
                    90   NYT    5S      30     

TO    TO    EAST  EAST
                    90   NYT     790      5

Is it because the Thruway is that important a destination point?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

machias

Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
Why does NYSDOT keep mentioning the TO routes before the route one is on or possibly turn on?

Examples:     TO    TO    TO    EAST
                    90   NYT    5S      30     

TO    TO    EAST  EAST
                    90   NYT     790      5

Is it because the Thruway is that important a destination point?

It's only Region 2 that does that. The other NYSDOT Regions follow the convention as laid out by the rest of the country by R2 just doesn't get freeway signing in general. If you look close you'll notice cardinal directions are in Series D instead of Series E(m) or Series E on the plans.

I've been complaining to R2 about how to order route markers on a sign for 20 years. They didn't start doing this until 1995 or so, so there's someone that got hired around then that just doesn't get it. Hopefully the practice won't perpetuate on.

You'll notice overhead panels on the North-South Arterial are EAST 790 - To 90 - To Thruway - EAST 5 - NORTH 8 - NORTH 12.  It took a LOT of kicking and screaming to get them to put the 790 shield first.

vdeane

If that person's been there for 20 years, then maybe better signs will start appearing sometime in the next 10.  Unless that person is the type to never retire... or trains his/her replacement to do the same thing.

Looking at how Region 2 uses the TO banner, it does seem like they don't know what a freeway is.  It's like they don't understand the concept of exit ramps.  Figures... they have fewer freeway miles than any other NYSDOT region, and ALL their freeways have something substandard about them.

cl94

Region 2 is like the bastard stepchild region. Honestly, it should probably just be split up between 1, 3 and 7. Save money and it might help their abysmal signage and striping practices. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees something a bit wrong with stuff like this.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 19, 2016, 01:06:19 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2016, 10:44:06 PM

A really old precedent to the crossbucks. Really old. Given the size of Shushan, I can understand how its survived.

Regardless, we're halfway through fall and still no sign of the Taconic Stage 2 signage, due Fall 2016.
Wait, what? What did that sign ever say? I've never seen a railroad diamond before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.