News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 11, 2016, 04:24:21 PM
Google Satellite Imagery for WNY updated to 10/18/2016!

Good heavens, I didn't even know Rochester was building a new Amtrak station!

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on December 10, 2016, 06:24:02 PM
Keep in mind that the traffic count station showing 22k vehicles goes all the way from where US 9 diverges off the ramp to I-787 north from the South Mall interchange to Broadway and includes both directions.  The NB count was almost certainly taken before Quay Street and the ramp in question branch off (I expect that it was even before the diverge of the ramp to I-787 NB; the math works, and this would match with the probable locations for the SB count on the other frontage road).  Unfortunately, where routes follow ramps, the ramps can sometimes fall through the cracks because traffic count stations follow the primary direction.  We may have done a special count on the ramp this year; I'd have to check (note that specials don't usually show up on the Traffic Data Viewer).

I haven't seen a ton of traffic using that ramp on the times I've been through there.  The vast majority of the traffic there comes off the ramp from I-787 SB.
Just checked.  The AADT is 2265, based on data collected from August 2 through August 9 this year.  The count was taken 410 feet north of Quay Street.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on December 12, 2016, 01:11:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 10, 2016, 06:24:02 PM
Keep in mind that the traffic count station showing 22k vehicles goes all the way from where US 9 diverges off the ramp to I-787 north from the South Mall interchange to Broadway and includes both directions.  The NB count was almost certainly taken before Quay Street and the ramp in question branch off (I expect that it was even before the diverge of the ramp to I-787 NB; the math works, and this would match with the probable locations for the SB count on the other frontage road).  Unfortunately, where routes follow ramps, the ramps can sometimes fall through the cracks because traffic count stations follow the primary direction.  We may have done a special count on the ramp this year; I'd have to check (note that specials don't usually show up on the Traffic Data Viewer).

I haven't seen a ton of traffic using that ramp on the times I've been through there.  The vast majority of the traffic there comes off the ramp from I-787 SB.
Just checked.  The AADT is 2265, based on data collected from August 2 through August 9 this year.  The count was taken 410 feet north of Quay Street.

That makes more sense. Ramp is ending up at intersection, and 3 other streets have counts of 5-7k, so 22k didn't quite fit the picture

Michael

I was on NY 5 between Elbridge and NY 695 Wednesday night.  The portion of NY 5 from where the speed limit increases to 55 east of Elbridge to NY 174 has been repaved and has new guardrails.  I couldn't see how far down NY 174 the paving went.  This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but it was the first time I've seen rumble strips on the shoulder on a surface road in New York.

SignBridge

A while back in these threads, we were talking about how the states are not permitted by Federal law to place any mercantile establishments at Interstate highway rest areas, but are only allowed vending machines. And I pointed out that Region-10 just recently opened a new "Welcome Center" on the Long Island Expwy. (I-495) that does have a staffed snack bar, and isn't this illegal.

Well the FHWA has apparently taken note. Today Long Island's Newsday published a story saying the Feds are now insisting on this being corrected along with the tourism signs. And that the NYSDOT commissioner will soon be attending a meeting at FHWA hq. in Washington to discuss these matters. Stay tuned!

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on December 12, 2016, 09:10:08 PM
A while back in these threads, we were talking about how the states are not permitted by Federal law to place any mercantile establishments at Interstate highway rest areas, but are only allowed vending machines. And I pointed out that Region-10 just recently opened a new "Welcome Center" on the Long Island Expwy. (I-495) that does have a staffed snack bar, and isn't this illegal.

Well the FHWA has apparently taken note. Today Long Island's Newsday published a story saying the Feds are now insisting on this being corrected along with the tourism signs. And that the NYSDOT commissioner will soon be attending a meeting at FHWA hq. in Washington to discuss these matters. Stay tuned!

About effing time. Of course, I-81 has one and they are planning to put one on I-90, so they certainly are saying "come at me, bro!".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: empirestate on December 12, 2016, 12:52:15 AM

Yep, and the Inner Loop is pretty much gone. The Peace Bridge interchange is radically different from how it looked a year ago.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kalvado

For a few days (weeks?) there are "two right lanes closed" signs set up on I-87 NB for alleged roadwork in Twin Bridges northbound, around 6-8 PM
Never seen any actual work, or actual lane closures, though. NYSDOT doesn't have any specific projects for I-87 in that area listed.
Is there actually something going on, or this is Bridgegate light, to celebrate Saratoga county switching from blue to red over the past elections?

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on December 13, 2016, 09:55:22 AM
For a few days (weeks?) there are "two right lanes closed" signs set up on I-87 NB for alleged roadwork in Twin Bridges northbound, around 6-8 PM
Never seen any actual work, or actual lane closures, though. NYSDOT doesn't have any specific projects for I-87 in that area listed.
Is there actually something going on, or this is Bridgegate light, to celebrate Saratoga county switching from blue to red over the past elections?

Deck repairs based on the patches of new asphalt. Been going on for a month or two.

Saratoga County swings. Really good indicator of how the election will end up. I knew Trump had a good chance when I saw how well he was doing in the Albany area. (end election aside)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

I was wondering why everyone was focused on the silly signs and not the much-more-expensive Taste of NY rest areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on December 13, 2016, 10:37:54 AM
I was wondering why everyone was focused on the silly signs and not the much-more-expensive Taste of NY rest areas.

There are only 2 Taste NY rest areas open at this time that are illegal. The signs are everywhere. That's why. Granted, FHWA got an email from me about the rest areas as well, complete with pictures of the Binghamton one.

kalvado

It was mentioned that FHWA is asking states for opinions on retail ban. Looks like things did change over past decade, and they are ready to review the policy - hence focus on a rule which is not going away any time soon.

I, for one, feel that having big truck service plaza right next to exit is not different from having such plaza between exits - and wouldn't be surprised if law changes towards something more liberal before this conflict is settled (and it is going on for 3 years by now, as far as I remember - can easily take another 5 years).

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 11:10:51 AM

There are only 2 Taste NY rest areas open at this time that are illegal. The signs are everywhere. That's why. Granted, FHWA got an email from me about the rest areas as well, complete with pictures of the Binghamton one.

My bet is that the cost of the two rest areas far outweigh the cost of the signs.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on December 13, 2016, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 11:10:51 AM

My bet is that the cost of the two rest areas far outweigh the cost of the signs.

(personal opinion emphasized)

They do, but it's where the signs are. Local politicians out in Suffolk got an earful from (wealthy) residents when they went up on NY 25, for example.

vdeane

Does anyone happen to know why NY 590 will be closed 12/16 north of the can of worms?  My Mom saw signs for it but I can't find any info on it.

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 12, 2016, 09:49:20 PM

Yep, and the Inner Loop is pretty much gone. The Peace Bridge interchange is radically different from how it looked a year ago.
For some reason I can't see it on mine.  Have to use the historical imagery feature on Google Earth to get it.  Probably because of the clouds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Well the Inner Loop I knew about. Not seeing anything too drastic at the Peace Bridge though.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on December 13, 2016, 02:29:31 PM

Well the Inner Loop I knew about. Not seeing anything too drastic at the Peace Bridge though.

You need to open it in Google Earth. Yuge change there. As in it now has full expressway connections on the NY side and they got rid of the light.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 02:43:58 PM

You need to open it in Google Earth. Yuge change there. As in it now has full expressway connections on the NY side and they got rid of the light.

I see the roundabout, one new ramp and another under construction on the NB side. Is that the extent of it?

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on December 13, 2016, 08:12:35 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 02:43:58 PM

I see the roundabout, one new ramp and another under construction on the NB side. Is that the extent of it?

No. The access road through the park is gone. Local traffic needs to use the I-190 ramps to get to/from the bridge.

cl94

It's new plan day at NYSDOT and Region 1 released a couple no-nos in the form of NY 4 shields]. Pages 27 and 28. I already sent R1 an email.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 10:17:20 PM
It's new plan day at NYSDOT and Region 1 released a couple no-nos in the form of NY 4 shields]. Pages 27 and 28. I already sent R1 an email.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuugh.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 10:03:56 PM

No. The access road through the park is gone. Local traffic needs to use the I-190 ramps to get to/from the bridge.

Ah, so is. I knew they pared it back some years ago, but it is indeed gone now. And I see some new overdecking on the connector to Niagara St., to accommodate the direct right turn ramp from the plaza to the 190 north. (What's the interim route for this traffic while the ramp is not yet built but the park road is already removed?)

I guess just visually, from the aerials, these changes appear subtle. That's why I was having trouble seeing any radical or "yuge" changes. ;-)

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on December 14, 2016, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 10:03:56 PM

Ah, so is. I knew they pared it back some years ago, but it is indeed gone now. And I see some new overdecking on the connector to Niagara St., to accommodate the direct right turn ramp from the plaza to the 190 north. (What's the interim route for this traffic while the ramp is not yet built but the park road is already removed?)

I guess just visually, from the aerials, these changes appear subtle. That's why I was having trouble seeing any radical or "yuge" changes. ;-)

Interim route was around the block via the Niagara Street ramp. The project is now complete with all ramps open. Flows much better than it did before.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on December 13, 2016, 01:44:51 PM
Does anyone happen to know why NY 590 will be closed 12/16 north of the can of worms?  My Mom saw signs for it but I can't find any info on it.

For some reason I can't see it on mine.  Have to use the historical imagery feature on Google Earth to get it.  Probably because of the clouds.

It's very neat looking at the historical imagery around Rochester station. As you step through the few most recent years, you can see a cool progression:
June 2014 — The previous conditions of the Amtrak station, including the platform remnants from the former NYC station, including filled and capped stairways to the passenger and baggage/mail tunnels.
July 2015 — The partial daylighting of the old tunnels (1914), and the beginning of work to fill them.  :colorful:
April 2016 — An open-air view of the new underground concourse and the ramps leading up to the new platform and parking area.
August 2016 — The new platform and station building taking shape.

EDIT: Oh, and if you download the plans from the Design/Build site, they have original 1914 plans of the tunnels superimposed on modern drawings showing the filling process.  :cool:

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on December 14, 2016, 07:48:38 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 13, 2016, 10:17:20 PM

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuugh.

Yeah...they politely told me to F off. There's a reason why I have no interest in working for the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.