News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

This one is going to be nasty: plans released for NY 78 reconstruction in Depew, including the removal of an old railroad bridge. Part of this will include a full closure with a lengthy detour. As part of the project, a dedicated left turn lane is being installed at George Urban Blvd complete with an FYA.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on December 28, 2016, 04:50:48 PM
This one is going to be nasty: plans released for NY 78 reconstruction in Depew, including the removal of an old railroad bridge. Part of this will include a full closure with a lengthy detour. As part of the project, a dedicated left turn lane is being installed at George Urban Blvd complete with an FYA.

This one has been needed for a while. The Lehigh Valley overpass is abandoned and Route 78 is a choke point for traffic. Dick Road and downtown Lancaster are going to see a big jump in traffic.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Buffaboy

Vehicular bloodbath!
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Official detour will be Dick Road. The intersections with Walden and Broadway will be retimed and restriped for dual turn lanes. During most of the project, they will maintain one lane in each direction.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

The real project that would be helpful for that choke point would be removing all 4 bridges and widening it to three lanes in each direction, but that is not going to happen because it would disrupt passenger and freight service along the former NY Central, Erie and Pennsylvania.

Ultimately, I cannot see this current project being the future, but we will have to get what we deal with.
Adam Seth Moss

Michael

I was in Seneca County earlier today, and saw that a few projects had been done:

• New left turn lanes on US 20/NY 5 for NY 89 and NY 318 in both directions (Street View)
  • New mast-arm signals at NY 318 (too new for Google Maps, and there were VMSes that read "NEW 3 COLOR SIGNAL AHEAD")
  • New guardrail at both the NY 89 and NY 318 intersections, with rubber blockouts instead of steel
  • New signs at both the NY 89 and NY 318 intersections, with the destination sign at the end of NY 318 in Clearview
  • New mast-arm signals at the NY 318/NY 414 intersection with one mast arm for each approach and a third post-mounted signal head for each approach
  • New signal (that I thought had a Virginia DOT feel to it, especially with how the street name sign is mounted on the mast arm), turn lanes, and concrete roadway at the Seneca Meadows landfill entrance (Street View)
EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I noticed a weird quirk about signs in front of some of the stores.  Below the store name, there's a smaller sign that says "Seneca Falls".  I'm guessing that it's a code requirement, but I didn't see anything after a quick look at the town code.  The border between Seneca Falls and Waterloo isn't obvious, so that might be it.  I saw it on Advance Auto Parts, the Verizon store, and after looking around in Street View, I found ones on Walmart and Rite Aid.  These are newer buildings, so it must be required on new construction.

steviep24

I was in the Webster area today and I noticed NYSDOT is still signing NY404 as US404. New signs too. They've been making this error for the past 10 years or more.

Buffaboy

Article in Buffalo Rising entitled "The Future of Buffalo Area Highways" (not mine):

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/01/the-future-of-buffalo-area-highways/
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

kalvado

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 05, 2017, 11:06:03 AM
Article in Buffalo Rising entitled "The Future of Buffalo Area Highways" (not mine):

That actually belongs to fictional highway forum..

cl94

Does anyone working at the DOT HQ building know the status of the Schodack Rest Area project? I drove by this morning and the sign was gone. No work has been done since July.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: kalvado on January 05, 2017, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on January 05, 2017, 11:06:03 AM

That actually belongs to fictional highway forum..

It belongs to an Alanland fictional highway forum. So much lol.
Adam Seth Moss

roadman65

Here is an interesting question, why does the signs on the Bronx River Parkway directing US 1 North Traffic advise motorists to use Exit 6 over Exit 7E considering that Exit 7E is actually for the said route?

Look here and see/www.google.com/maps/@40.855891,-73.8723936,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZXmWVtxcQRP2iu4bbleJzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on January 05, 2017, 09:45:14 PM
Here is an interesting question, why does the signs on the Bronx River Parkway directing US 1 North Traffic advise motorists to use Exit 6 over Exit 7E considering that Exit 7E is actually for the said route?

Look here and see www.google.com/maps/@40.855891,-73.8723936,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZXmWVtxcQRP2iu4bbleJzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

To discourage people from getting off at 7E and trying to cut over to the left lane to immediately make a left.

That being said, nobody other than roadgeeks actually follows surface routes through the City. A bunch of them aren't even signed well. Good luck trying to find the southern end of NY 22 if you don't know where it is.

roadman65

Yeah I saw that one, that no US 1 north shield exists on EB Pelham Parkway telling motorists to turn left at Boston Road.  In fact US 9 is signed badly leaving I-95 in Manhattan.  No shields on EB 178th Street telling motorists to turn left at Broadway either.  Plus no mention that US 9 enters the GWB from 179th Street and no typical NYCDOT overhead freeway entrance guide there (unless one was recently installed or at least after Google was there anyway).

Hey look how long it took for NYSDOT to sign US 1 at Webster Avenue on I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Talking about last year speed limit cut on Washington ave. in Albany: A set of wrapped signs, looks like speed limit signs, sits along Washington ave. ext. for a while, I believe since November. Anyone knows what is going on? I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on between city of A. and DOT...

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on January 06, 2017, 10:36:39 AM
Talking about last year speed limit cut on Washington ave. in Albany: A set of wrapped signs, looks like speed limit signs, sits along Washington ave. ext. for a while, I believe since November. Anyone knows what is going on? I wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on between city of A. and DOT...

Those the work zone signs or are they on Z-bars? That being said, most (if not all) of the extension should probably be 45. That area is to busy with the malls and office complexes for it to be 55.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2017, 03:02:31 PM

Those the work zone signs or are they on Z-bars? That being said, most (if not all) of the extension should probably be 45. That area is to busy with the malls and office complexes for it to be 55.
Looks like permanent set of signs. ROad work there seem to be completed - at least until poles start falling. Even traffic light sync seem to be somewhat functional.  And if anything, I would reorganize access to frontage roads and have local traffic use frontage to improve through flow, not the other way around.
Upd: If anything, descent pedestrian access between Crossgates Mall and Crossgates commons may improve safety, regardless of speed limit. But that is another story..

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2017, 03:02:31 PM

Just drove past. Apparently, those are permanent 45 MPH signs, and 55 MPH ones are gone. Still strange to see new signs covered for almost 2 months..

Buffaboy

This is behind the Exit 26a sign on Cross Island Pkwy:

Roadgeek Adam

It's for Belmont Park. Either it is stating exit closed or all parking, whether or not the racetrack is open.
Adam Seth Moss

MikeCL

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 07, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
It's for Belmont Park. Either it is stating exit closed or all parking, whether or not the racetrack is open.
I remember too seeing that sign flipped around it was one of the first things that caught my eye.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: MikeCL on January 07, 2017, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 07, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
I remember too seeing that sign flipped around it was one of the first things that caught my eye.

99% of the time I pass exit 26A or D, it's closed.
Adam Seth Moss

Pete from Boston

Anyone listening to today's (#1 of 6) State of the State?  Did Cuomo say "Koss-key-oss-ko"?  I was out of the room and thought I heard that.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 09, 2017, 11:23:53 AM
Anyone listening to today's (#1 of 6) State of the State?  Did Cuomo say "Koss-key-oss-ko"?  I was out of the room and thought I heard that.

That's one of the many "accepted" pronunciations. I have heard at least 5 and nobody can agree. We get around that in Albany by using another name for ours.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on January 09, 2017, 01:05:53 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 09, 2017, 11:23:53 AM

That's one of the many "accepted" pronunciations. I have heard at least 5 and nobody can agree. We get around that in Albany by using another name for ours.

It's absolutely ridiculous.  There's only one correct way to pronouce Kosciuszko (the National Park Service has been on a small rant about this as well at the National Memorial in Philadelphia):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQaOSgf7uk4

Can't tell you how many idiots around here insist on saying "Kos-ee-yoos-ko."  Heard it's that way in Mississippi, too.  Dummies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.