News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on February 01, 2017, 12:03:00 PM
I like the idea of a bridge over the circle, if only for how spectacular it would be. :D

Of course, ROW costs would be obscene for any major changes to the circle.

Not necessarily. Vacant land on the SE side and if they trench it, it could be extended east to where ROW is no longer a concern.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

With the 198, there is an elephant in the room: what is to become of the T junction at I-190? The locals want it home but I don't know what the alternative would be.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

burgess87

I just reviewed the DOT's plans for the 198 re-do, and I have to say that I like what I see.  Only one roundabout (on the southwest side of Grant St); more traffic signals/pedestrian signals (potentially HAWKs); and intersection improvements at Elmwood, Delaware, and Parkside.  Many here say it doesn't do enough for pedestrians; however, I feel they balanced the vehicles & pedestrians as best as they could without major disruptions in traffic.

Alps

Quote from: burgess87 on February 01, 2017, 10:37:37 PM
I just reviewed the DOT's plans for the 198 re-do, and I have to say that I like what I see.  Only one roundabout (on the southwest side of Grant St); more traffic signals/pedestrian signals (potentially HAWKs); and intersection improvements at Elmwood, Delaware, and Parkside.  Many here say it doesn't do enough for pedestrians; however, I feel they balanced the vehicles & pedestrians as best as they could without major disruptions in traffic.
I say it should have just stayed as it originally was.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 01, 2017, 01:53:07 PM
I like the idea of a bridge over the circle, if only for how spectacular it would be. :D

Not necessarily. Vacant land on the SE side and if they trench it, it could be extended east to where ROW is no longer a concern.
What, we are getting rid of the dry cleaners, or are they not there anymore? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2017, 09:04:50 AM

I meant SW. Oops.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 02, 2017, 09:15:52 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2017, 09:04:50 AM

I meant SW. Oops.
Isn't that now owned by the redevelopers of the mall?  Could still be a factor in price, couldn't it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Yeah, I'm guessing the developers don't want to give up part of their brand new plaza's lot.

Quote from: burgess87 on February 01, 2017, 10:37:37 PM
I'm guessing that's the plan the activists are presently railing against.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I-88 WB Wells Bridge rest area has indeed been renovated. Doors are locked, but I expect it'll open this spring.

daver40

Cool photo of US-11, NY-17, NY-7 all running down Court Street at Chenango Street in Binghamton circa 1960

route17fan

D263370 - an I-81 sign rehab project includes some advance 2 mile notice signs for exits 14, 15, and 16 (and Cuomo signs)

Link - https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263370
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

D-Dey65

New question;

US 9W in Kingston, NY at the north end of the bypass. Was that supposed to go northwest of NY 32 and connect to East Chester Street? Because I see an unfinished half diamond interchange at the end of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B055'30.0%22N+74%C2%B000'00.0%22W/@41.9411871,-73.9827342,2748m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.925!4d-74?hl=en

Snappyjack

It was supposed to run behind the mall and connect with Route 199. This was cancelled because of an environmentally sensitive lake along the route's path. Frank Sottile Blvd which runs from Route 32 to US 9W was built in the 90's as an alternative.

cu2010

Quote from: route17fan on February 07, 2017, 02:28:07 PM
D263370 - an I-81 sign rehab project includes some advance 2 mile notice signs for exits 14, 15, and 16 (and Cuomo signs)

Whoever designed those signs needs to be in charge of designing signs for the entire state. Those look damn good...especially compared to some of the other monstrosities posted the last few years!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on February 07, 2017, 06:43:31 PM

Whoever designed those signs needs to be in charge of designing signs for the entire state. Those look damn good...especially compared to some of the other monstrosities posted the last few years!

NYSDOT R3 has always done the best job of freeway signage in the state.  There have been a few hiccups here and there over the years but their signing practices go above and beyond anything found elsewhere in the state.

machias

Link - https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263370

Pretty sure those Cuomo signs are already there. Notes on the plans say to retain existing signs.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Snappyjack on February 07, 2017, 06:18:12 PM
It was supposed to run behind the mall and connect with Route 199. This was cancelled because of an environmentally sensitive lake along the route's path. Frank Sottile Blvd which runs from Route 32 to US 9W was built in the 90's as an alternative.
Wow. Environmental sensitivity aside, it doesn't really seem like the smartest idea  to put a whole new interchange so close between US 9W and NY 32.

Rothman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 07, 2017, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on February 07, 2017, 06:43:31 PM

NYSDOT R3 has always done the best job of freeway signage in the state.  There have been a few hiccups here and there over the years but their signing practices go above and beyond anything found elsewhere in the state.
They had a Regional Director who was obsessed with overhead sign structures.  Tightened up inspection practices at NYSDOT overall, actually.

civilmaher

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 07, 2017, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: Snappyjack on February 07, 2017, 06:18:12 PM
Wow. Environmental sensitivity aside, it doesn't really seem like the smartest idea  to put a whole new interchange so close between US 9W and NY 32.

That's what I was thinking! Five interchanges within three miles of each other.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

cl94

R3 and R6 have the best signage in the state. New signs in both are beautiful. Granted, R6 is done by a fellow roadgeek.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on February 08, 2017, 12:20:16 PM
R3 and R6 have the best signage in the state. New signs in both are beautiful. Granted, R6 is done by a fellow roadgeek.

Yes, I agree that R6's latest efforts are outstanding. R6 back in the 80s and 90s could be a little rough at times but they've held onto centered exit plaques the longest and I must applaud that.  :)

D-Dey65

Quote from: civilmaher on February 08, 2017, 09:02:33 AM
That's what I was thinking! Five interchanges within three miles of each other.
I can accept it if they wanted to combined the US 9W and NY 32 interchanges as one on NY 199, extend the bypass north of NY 199 and extend the north end of US 209 to that, but not the way Snappyjack describes it.

vdeane

I always thought it was to meet up at the Enterprise Drive interchange.  In any case, NY is no stranger to close interchanges: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0407931,-75.9162726,14.75z
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on February 09, 2017, 08:25:11 PM
I always thought it was to meet up at the Enterprise Drive interchange.  In any case, NY is no stranger to close interchanges: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0407931,-75.9162726,14.75z
That's plausible. 1956 NY historic aerial predates all freeways. 1963 doesn't show 9W, but it does show 199, and Enterprise Drive is already constructed. It would be difficult but conceivable to shoehorn a freeway in there, assuming the ellipsoid was meant as a traffic circle interchange. But with all that - why not just tie the freeway into the divided 9W at the 199 cloverleaf?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.