News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 23, 2017, 09:11:43 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2017, 08:33:03 AM
There are no concrete plans to convert to mile-based exits on the interstates, despite lip service to the contrary.  Unless we see another large replacement like there was on the Taconic, it just isn't going to happen. 

I see signs on the interstates being replaced one at a time as needed, which means it just will not make sense to do the conversion.

May I be proven wrong.

About five years ago I heard talk about NYSDOT trying a "new exit/old exit" numbering scheme but I don't know if that was just some random engineer musing out loud or if it was given some consideration.

I have always pushed NYSDOT to leave the exit numbering in the five boroughs alone and worry about upstate first with the conversion. It's upstate that would have improved safety benefits from distance based exit numbering, especially the Thruway. The Thruway could even leave everything below the Tappan Zee as is and move to mileage based above the Tappan Zee without confusing things too badly.

Some of the documentation of the conversion plan in NYSDOT has always had an Albany Airport exit along I-87 as exit 150. I went back and forth with them on how that should actually be exit 160 because I-87 doesn't start at the Thruway, there's 8.8 miles of it down to the Bruckner. They found that mind boggling.
There have been minor spasms of planning regarding the conversion, but nothing has ever been actually programmed as part of the capital program, other than I-99 and the Taconic.

I was a little surprised when every guide sign on NY 400 in Region 5 was replaced a couple of years ago (in one project); that would have been a great opportunity to add exit numbers to that roadway.

I still think that NYSDOT should start with the freeways/expressways without interchange numbering right now, adding them as signs are replaced. It was weird to me that they covered up the exit numbers on the Taconic until some "big reveal". I know a lot of people treat Caltrans as the red headed step child of the U.S. but the way they have been implementing exit numbering has worked just fine (not necessarily the way they _post_ the numbers, though).

There are a few non-Interstate freeways in New York that could benefit from numbering - NY 33 (expressway portion) is 8 miles long with 14 interchanges and no numbers, nearby I-290 is 10 miles long with 8 interchanges and it has numbers. The only difference is the route number designation. NY 104 (Monroe County), NY 400, US 219, these are all decent freeways in length and are designed to interstate standards, but they don't have exit numbers. This would be a good place to start.

I'm encouraged by I-99, I-781 and the Taconic, especially the Taconic getting exit numbers after many decades.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 23, 2017, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 23, 2017, 09:11:43 AM
There are no concrete plans to convert to mile-based exits on the interstates, despite lip service to the contrary.  Unless we see another large replacement like there was on the Taconic, it just isn't going to happen. 

I see signs on the interstates being replaced one at a time as needed, which means it just will not make sense to do the conversion.

May I be proven wrong.

About five years ago I heard talk about NYSDOT trying a "new exit/old exit" numbering scheme but I don't know if that was just some random engineer musing out loud or if it was given some consideration.

I have always pushed NYSDOT to leave the exit numbering in the five boroughs alone and worry about upstate first with the conversion. It's upstate that would have improved safety benefits from distance based exit numbering, especially the Thruway. The Thruway could even leave everything below the Tappan Zee as is and move to mileage based above the Tappan Zee without confusing things too badly.

Some of the documentation of the conversion plan in NYSDOT has always had an Albany Airport exit along I-87 as exit 150. I went back and forth with them on how that should actually be exit 160 because I-87 doesn't start at the Thruway, there's 8.8 miles of it down to the Bruckner. They found that mind boggling.
There have been minor spasms of planning regarding the conversion, but nothing has ever been actually programmed as part of the capital program, other than I-99 and the Taconic.

I was a little surprised when every guide sign on NY 400 in Region 5 was replaced a couple of years ago (in one project); that would have been a great opportunity to add exit numbers to that roadway.

I still think that NYSDOT should start with the freeways/expressways without interchange numbering right now, adding them as signs are replaced. It was weird to me that they covered up the exit numbers on the Taconic until some "big reveal". I know a lot of people treat Caltrans as the red headed step child of the U.S. but the way they have been implementing exit numbering has worked just fine (not necessarily the way they _post_ the numbers, though).

There are a few non-Interstate freeways in New York that could benefit from numbering - NY 33 (expressway portion) is 8 miles long with 14 interchanges and no numbers, nearby I-290 is 10 miles long with 8 interchanges and it has numbers. The only difference is the route number designation. NY 104 (Monroe County), NY 400, US 219, these are all decent freeways in length and are designed to interstate standards, but they don't have exit numbers. This would be a good place to start.

I'm encouraged by I-99, I-781 and the Taconic, especially the Taconic getting exit numbers after many decades.

The Taconic is also Region 8, which had exit numbers on almost everything but the Taconic.

It'll be at least 10 years or the FHWA withholding federal funding until they start changing things over. Need to get the old blood out of NYSDOT and for that to happen, the baby boomers basically need to retire.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on April 23, 2017, 01:50:13 PM

The Taconic is also Region 8, which had exit numbers on almost everything but the Taconic.

It'll be at least 10 years or the FHWA withholding federal funding until they start changing things over. Need to get the old blood out of NYSDOT and for that to happen, the baby boomers basically need to retire.
Good luck convincing Cuomo II to fund that. And after all.. it's not broken...

02 Park Ave

The Major Deegan Expressway, the NYS Thruway, and the Northway exits should all be renumbered, by mileage, all the way from the Tri-boro Bridge to the Canadian frontier.
C-o-H

vdeane

NY 85 is a similar situation to NY 400: all the signs were replaced, but not exit numbers.  Main Office is insistent that the entire state should change at once (they probably get heartburn over the EXISTING mile-based roads!), so that's probably why.  Rumor mill says the only reason the Taconic sign replacement happened is because Cuomo (who regularly travels the road to/from NYC) thought the old signs were ugly.

Not sure how much waiting for the retirement wave will help.  There isn't much new blood to replace the old blood.  Most of the people who will still be around after the retirement wave in the next few years are only 10-15 years from retirement themselves.  There are very few young people in NYSDOT.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't mind remaining sequential until the Thruway goes AET.  Then I-87 and I-90 could be numbered based on their mileage with no compromises for the Thruway's ticket system.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

The Taconic now has exit numbers and new signs?  Cool.  I was on it in 12, and really it had only the typical NY freeway type of guides minus the exit numbers of course.

However, my old Exxon maps showed exit numbers on it using W prefixes for Westchester County exits and P prefixes for Putnam County exits.  I assume it at one time had them, and then it was removed sometime later.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2017, 05:53:06 AM
The Taconic now has exit numbers and new signs?  Cool.  I was on it in 12, and really it had only the typical NY freeway type of guides minus the exit numbers of course.

However, my old Exxon maps showed exit numbers on it using W prefixes for Westchester County exits and P prefixes for Putnam County exits.  I assume it at one time had them, and then it was removed sometime later.

I've heard of these but never actually seen them.  I was on the Taconic for the first time in 1998, and it didn't have any exit numbers back then, so if it actually had them, it must go back a while.

kalvado

Does anyone know if it is possible to find NYSDOT breakdown by the region? I am sure such breakdown should exist somewhere, but I cannot see anything...

roadman65

It could be they never had em in the field but in paperwork yes.  I seen an old NJDOT map show the US 1, NJ 27, CR 501, and Durham Avenue exits on I-287 in Edison, NJ have exit numbers using the never build Somerset Freeway mileage.  Yet I-287 never had them posted up until it was later decided to change the mile markers on I-287 which was in 1985, and then of course the exit numbers got erected in 1994 or so when NJDOT decided to change the signs south of N. Maple Avenue in Basking Ridge and give the interstate exit numbers from end to end.

Even some maps had Exit 12 listed on them for I-280 in East Orange, and it never had them for a long time.  So map makers use data collected not from sending out scouts to see first hand except for one company that did employ Alex here as his job was to scout roads to gather data for his map making employer, but I actually doubt RM or Hagstrom, who printed Exxons maps from the 70's and 80's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dgolub on April 24, 2017, 08:50:10 AM

I've heard of these but never actually seen them.  I was on the Taconic for the first time in 1998, and it didn't have any exit numbers back then, so if it actually had them, it must go back a while.

The Hortontown Hill Road P7 lives on.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on April 24, 2017, 10:26:50 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to find NYSDOT breakdown by the region? I am sure such breakdown should exist somewhere, but I cannot see anything...

http://nysroads.com/regions.php
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

02 Park Ave

Here is a list of the numbered exits on the Taconic State Parkway in Putnam County in 1972:

P1 Bryant Pond Road

P2 Bullet Hole Road

P4 Pudding Street

P7 Hortontown Hill Road

P8 Knapp Road
C-o-H

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on April 24, 2017, 05:46:04 PM

Oops, my keyword is missing in editing...
is possible to find NYSDOT budget breakdown by the region?

dgolub

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 24, 2017, 05:35:22 PM
Quote from: dgolub on April 24, 2017, 08:50:10 AM

The Hortontown Hill Road P7 lives on.

Were they all signed like that and not with normal exit number tabs?

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on April 24, 2017, 06:13:02 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 24, 2017, 05:46:04 PM

Oops, my keyword is missing in editing...
is possible to find NYSDOT budget breakdown by the region?
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

There's a sign for US 265 on Grant St before Military Rd in Buffalo.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

D-Dey65

So NYSDOT finally decommissioned NYS 102 west of Williams Street in Hempstead.

Just give me more reasons to hate the state I was born in, and life in general, Cuomo!

mariethefoxy

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 04, 2017, 08:24:34 PM

Just give me more reasons to hate the state I was born in, and life in general, Cuomo!

It was never signed past the Hempstead Village line anyway.

empirestate

Did they?

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: empirestate on May 04, 2017, 10:28:53 PM

Did they?

It was dumped on the Route Log, which is probably his source. Of course, you'd never know NY 102 existed west of Williams Street
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mariethefoxy

it was always maintained by the county in the village of Hempstead, same with 24. They had the yellow Nassau DPW traffic lights and everything. Both county maintained sections in Hempstead never had shields or refrence markers either.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 04, 2017, 11:54:34 PM

Did they?

It was dumped on the Route Log, which is probably his source. Of course, you'd never know NY 102 existed west of Williams Street

Well, that's what I'm wondering; it seems a lot of changes are being attributed to that route log that aren't reflected in other sources such as inventory files and traffic count reports. NY 102 is one of many cases where part of a signed touring route is county-maintained and where the route log seems to have been updated to remove the county portion, even though other sources still indicate its existence. But there are also some genuine decommissionings listed in the log, so I'm not always sure which ones are authentic (or what "authentic" would even mean).

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on May 05, 2017, 01:20:20 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 04, 2017, 11:54:34 PM

Did they?

Well, that's what I'm wondering; it seems a lot of changes are being attributed to that route log that aren't reflected in other sources such as inventory files and traffic count reports. NY 102 is one of many cases where part of a signed touring route is county-maintained and where the route log seems to have been updated to remove the county portion, even though other sources still indicate its existence. But there are also some genuine decommissionings listed in the log, so I'm not always sure which ones are authentic (or what "authentic" would even mean).

Exactly. Then you get the case of NY 220, which the log omits but is still signed up to the veterans' home.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

seicer

May I be proven wrong.

Or raising the speed limit to something reasonable, like 70 MPH. At least it's consistent, unlike Pennsylvania, which jerks the limit back to 55 MPH whenever it's even remotely near a town.

cl94

Quote from: seicer on May 08, 2017, 12:12:24 PM

May I be proven wrong.

Or raising the speed limit to something reasonable, like 70 MPH. At least it's consistent, unlike Pennsylvania, which jerks the limit back to 55 MPH whenever it's even remotely near a town.

PA is the result of a stupid state law. Any "urbanized area" has to be 55. Which gets us the ridiculousness of I-90 being 55 for 20 miles. None of the bordering states are so crazy about that. Hell, Ohio has some 70 sections inside Columbus city limits and 65 right up to downtown. New York has 65 inside Albany limits along the Thruway, but just about every other major city in the state has a drop to 55 at (Syracuse) or close to (most others) the border.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.