News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^ Without being too blunt, yes.  You read too much into that specific location and not into the example Val was showing...that type of rock ledge along the edge of the Thruway is a common occurrence between the Berkshire Spur and 287.  Similar ledges exist in the median where the carriageways separate.

But since we're reading into Val's example, I can spot two things offhand.  First, the rock ledge on both sides does not meet current clear-zone standards outside the right shoulder.  Second, the median in that particular spot would need to be widened by about 6 feet to meet full standards for a 6-lane urban section (as this would be classified given the fully paved median with Jersey barrier).  It technically would meet minimum standards, but it wouldn't meet FHWA's preference for a full left shoulder with 6 lanes.

Here's a better example showing the type of blasting that would be necessary, and also an example of the median rock ledges I mentioned above.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on September 04, 2019, 09:44:32 PM
Here's a better example showing the type of blasting that would be necessary, and also an example of the median rock ledges I mentioned above.

Or this, recent construction at Christiansburg Mountain, VA --
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1685972,-80.3128452,3a,75y,253.43h,91.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1surDWkxO1glHqLVI3ZxoW1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

RobbieL2415

Why add a third lane when you can just tell cars to use the Taconic?  That's what I would do.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 04, 2019, 11:50:58 PM
Why add a third lane when you can just tell cars to use the Taconic?  That's what I would do.

The southern portions of the Taconic, from Southern Dutchess and down, are already deficient at their heaviest volumes (weekend vacation traffic). Trying to enter the road from a stop sign during the peak few hours on Friday evening or Sunday is especially bad, and when people are forced to wait too long for a gap, they make unsafe decisions. With the road's safety issues (at-grade intersections in Dutchess, general narrowness and curviness in Putnam) where a single crash will frequently cripple traffic for hours, I don't think sending more traffic down the Taconic is a great idea.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on September 04, 2019, 09:44:32 PM
But since we're reading into Val's example, I can spot two things offhand.  First, the rock ledge on both sides does not meet current clear-zone standards outside the right shoulder.  Second, the median in that particular spot would need to be widened by about 6 feet to meet full standards for a 6-lane urban section (as this would be classified given the fully paved median with Jersey barrier).  It technically would meet minimum standards, but it wouldn't meet FHWA's preference for a full left shoulder with 6 lanes.

OK, I see that now. I was on mobile, so I tried to approximate the location on the Google Maps app instead, and ended up much closer to NY 23 itself. Now that I pan closer to the Exit 21 ramps and look backwards, I can see the issue.

QuoteHere's a better example showing the type of blasting that would be necessary, and also an example of the median rock ledges I mentioned above.

This confirms what I had been wondering. It seems like the sections with a wider median, could end up being the biggest problems.

astralentity

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 05, 2019, 12:52:37 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 04, 2019, 11:50:58 PM

The southern portions of the Taconic, from Southern Dutchess and down, are already deficient at their heaviest volumes (weekend vacation traffic). Trying to enter the road from a stop sign during the peak few hours on Friday evening or Sunday is especially bad, and when people are forced to wait too long for a gap, they make unsafe decisions. With the road's safety issues (at-grade intersections in Dutchess, general narrowness and curviness in Putnam) where a single crash will frequently cripple traffic for hours, I don't think sending more traffic down the Taconic is a great idea.

As a frequent traveler of the Taconic to shunpike the Thruway getting to NYC/LI, I can say the best portion of the Taconic so far is between I-84 and I-90.  I would agree about the section of the parkway by Lake Carmel and DJT State Park.

cu2010

Here's New York's new license plate design

I like this quite a bit, actually, and it was easily my favorite of the five. Still not a fan of the mandatory fee involved with their replacement, but the new design is still far better than the butt-ugly Empire Gold plates.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

KEVIN_224

Meanwhile, some people here are tired of our gradient blue design here in Connecticut. My only problem with them was when we started issuing 7 character plates. The letter/number font was quite narrow and hard to read from a distance.

SignBridge

I actually like the blue and orange plates. I think they have good readability and I'll be sorry to see them get phased out. The new plate is nice too and the winning design would have been my second choice.

storm2k

Quote from: cu2010 on September 06, 2019, 07:48:12 PM

I like this quite a bit, actually, and it was easily my favorite of the five. Still not a fan of the mandatory fee involved with their replacement, but the new design is still far better than the butt-ugly Empire Gold plates.

Reminds me a lot of the older blue and white plates that these are actually going to replace.

ipeters61

I really like the design, too.  I think it does a nice job showcasing the state.  Funny thing is, one of my neighbors has NY plates and they still have the mid/late-2000s blue and white plate.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 06, 2019, 08:05:34 PM
Meanwhile, some people here are tired of our gradient blue design here in Connecticut. My only problem with them was when we started issuing 7 character plates. The letter/number font was quite narrow and hard to read from a distance.
I personally felt kind of meh about Connecticut's plate design (though I always liked the Preserve the Sound plates).  Maryland has a special plate that actually looks similar to the CT plate from a distance so I'd get excited to see someone from home down here in DE, but then I see it's MD and feel slightly disappointed.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

KEVIN_224

Then there were people who complained when Maine added the lobster on some of their plates in 1987 or so. Some locals think it looked like a giant cockroach. Anyways, I'm OK with the re-do for New York. It's better than the old blue/white design they had, I think.

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 09, 2019, 01:52:50 PM
Then there were people who complained when Maine added the lobster on some of their plates in 1987 or so. Some locals think it looked like a giant cockroach.
IIRC, the complaints regarding the lobster on those plates was because the color of it was shown as red; a color that's associated with a lobster after it's boiled (i.e. dead).  The majority color for live lobsters is usually black.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Black?  Nah.  They usually are called "greenish brown" or similar when live.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2019, 06:27:10 PM
Black?  Nah.  They usually are called "greenish brown" or similar when live.
I prefer the blue ones. Rare lobsters taste better.

storm2k

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 09, 2019, 09:15:10 AM

I really like the design, too.  I think it does a nice job showcasing the state.  Funny thing is, one of my neighbors has NY plates and they still have the mid/late-2000s blue and white plate.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 06, 2019, 08:05:34 PM
I personally felt kind of meh about Connecticut's plate design (though I always liked the Preserve the Sound plates).  Maryland has a special plate that actually looks similar to the CT plate from a distance so I'd get excited to see someone from home down here in DE, but then I see it's MD and feel slightly disappointed.

And you have Jersey, which still looks like a smeared egg thrown against a wall, which hasn't changed since 1992 (or 93, can't remember which). they embraced digital printing of the plates now, it would be nice if they embraced a new design.

Mergingtraffic

I'm wondering if the last remaining button copy on I-287 near I-684 and the Hutch are maintained by the county of Westchester.  There's no reason for them not to be replaced.  This button copy sign on the WB service road does have a stamp on it that says "County of Westchester" on it. 

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Michael

I was at the state fair on the night of August 29th, and I saw that all the button copy signs heading from State Fair Blvd onto I-690 east were still there.  I also got a better look at the new Orange Lot ramp, and I saw that grading on the south side of I-690 is done, and rebar and forms for concrete for the south abutment were in place.  A few weeks earlier, I was on I-690 west and saw that this sign was still there and opened.

On a side note, were any of you at the DOT booth at around 10 PM that night?  I saw a guy wearing a blue shirt with an I-690 shield on it, and wondered if he was a member on here.

vdeane

Speaking of I-690 near the Fair, I've long wondered... is there any reason why this ramp to I-690 east is closed?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

What is with the ghost ramp along I-690:

1956 view showing the lack of ghost ramps but the location of a wide path that appears to be a former railroad grade (but no topo map can confirm this): https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.10688868558635/-76.24458230353763/1956/16

1960 topo showing the ghost ramps: https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.10471703398228/-76.24035867617145/T1960/16

1972 view showing the never finished ramps and what appears to be a single lane underpass: https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.104727253843635/-76.24038577079773/1972/16

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 11, 2019, 09:06:53 PM
Speaking of I-690 near the Fair, I've long wondered... is there any reason why this ramp to I-690 east is closed?

I guess I wonder, does it really serve any purpose when the Fair isn't going?

KEVIN_224

Getting away from Syracuse for a bit...any progress on the I-84 renumbering project? Are they west of the Hudson with it now?

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on September 09, 2019, 10:20:11 PM
And you have Jersey, which still looks like a smeared egg thrown against a wall,

Does New Jersey's *flag* do the same thing, storm? I think neither flag nor tag do nor have they ever (Idt).  Rather, I always thought NJ's plates were a tribute to the state banner color wise.

ixnay

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 12, 2019, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 11, 2019, 09:06:53 PM

I guess I wonder, does it really serve any purpose when the Fair isn't going?
Aren't the Fair parking lots used for concerts in the Amphitheater?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 12, 2019, 01:44:40 PM
Getting away from Syracuse for a bit...any progress on the I-84 renumbering project? Are they west of the Hudson with it now?

Wikipedia is saying it is complete east of the Hudson. I cannot confirm this personally.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.