News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 20, 2019, 01:57:36 PM
How about New York City's or Long Island's exit numbers? Outside of the Hutchinson River Parkway's proposed conversion, how much resistance would be encountered to renumber all of their routes' exits to mileage-based? I would speculate that it might be easier to renumber exits in upstate New York than in New York City and Long Island. Am I wrong in making such an assumption?

The Cross-Bronx/Bruckner parts of 95 are all already mileage based. Naturally the NE Thruway part isn't, but that's NYSTA for you. They at least started their numbering to match the mileage based numbers from the city. Also, the Port Authority still signs their exit numbers sequentially since there was a move to change 95 back to sequential numbering during the early aughts which is why the HH Parkway exit is 1 going NB, and the HRD exit is 2 instead of being 1A and 1B respectively (but they are going SB since NYSDOT maintains them).

The Ghostbuster

Is it likely that the portion of Interstate 95 between Exits 8C and 22 (which used to be Exits 1 through 13) will ever have their exits renumbered to mileage-based? It's true there would only be minor number adjustments to the corridor if it was done, but I think when they got rid of the previous exits from the Pelham Parkway onward, they should have Interstate 95's exit numbers mileage-based like the portion from the state line to Orchard Beach/City Island.

storm2k

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 21, 2019, 01:28:45 PM
Is it likely that the portion of Interstate 95 between Exits 8C and 22 (which used to be Exits 1 through 13) will ever have their exits renumbered to mileage-based? It's true there would only be minor number adjustments to the corridor if it was done, but I think when they got rid of the previous exits from the Pelham Parkway onward, they should have Interstate 95's exit numbers mileage-based like the portion from the state line to Orchard Beach/City Island.

It's doubtful. It's also not super helpful since NYSTA's mile markers here are for their own mileage only (so they're NE1, NE2, etc.) and not 95's overall mileage.

Duke87

If the New England Thruway numbers were to be changed...

9→8D
10→9A
11→9B
12→10A
13→10B
14→11
15→13
16→14
17→15
18A→17
18B→18
19→20
20→22A
21→22B
22→23

This is by the method "always round down", which is what NY seems to have generally decided they are doing and is how the existing numbers on the NYSDOT portion are assigned.

All of that is close enough to what exists for the change to be more confusing than helpful. So, yeah, it'd be sensible to leave alone.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

The last few numbers there don't match the calculated mileage I have for my I-95 exit list, but if anything mine only illustrates the point even more:
-9-19: same as Duke87
-20: 21
-21: 22A
-22: 22B

Exits 13 and 14 being off by 3 is more than I'd personally like, and there's a 2.5 mile gap between exits 18 and 19, but I-295 in ME has a 3.3 mile gap between exits 9 and 10, so it's not unprecedented.  At least it's not as bad as I-664 in VA.  And, of course, there's the mileage issue (which I-287 shares).

Given how the MA conversion is going, I would think that it would be possible for the NE Thruway, Belt/Cross Island, Meadowbrook (but please get rid of those prefixes), Robert Moses Causeway (ditto), Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow (though I'd prefer they be given continuous numbering like FDR/Harlem River Drive; ditto on the prefixes), the first three exits of the Wantagh, I-787, I-590/NY 590, and I-990 (possibly NY 440 too, depending on whether you consider the mileage to be continuous with NJ or not; I personally do) to retain the existing numbers even if they're not exact.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

A note on the LI parkways: the Meadowbrook and Wantaugh would have to be numbered in reverse as to what they are now: exits would go up from Jones Beach instead of from the Northern State.  I would figure there would also be no reset between the Belt and Cross Island, as well as the Grand Central and Northern State.  I did figure a reset between the Sagitkos and Sunken Meadow. 

As for I-95 in NY State, here is what I have:

Exit 1A: US 9 NORTH/NY 9A (HHP) (US 9 signage NB Only)
Exit 1B: Amsterdam Ave/University Ave/Harlem River Dr (NB); University Ave (SB)
Exit 1 C/D: I-87
Exit 2A (2 SB): Jerome Ave
Exit 2B (NB ONLY): US 1 NORTH Webster Ave
Exit 3 (SB ONLY): TO US 1 NORTH Third Ave/Webster Ave
Exit 4A (NB ONLY) NY 895 SOUTH TO I-278 WEST
Exit 4B (4 SB): TO Bronx River Pkwy/Rosedale Ave
Exit 5A (5 SB): White Plains Ave/Westchester Ave
Exit 5B (NB ONLY): Castle Hill Ave
Exit 6A: I-678 SOUTH
Exit 6B: I-295 SOUTH (NB); I-278 WEST (SB)
Exit 7 (NB): Country Club Rd/Pelham Bay Park
Exit 7A (SB): I-695 SOUTH TO I-295 SOUTH
Exit 7B (SB): East Tremont Ave
Exit 8A (SB ONLY): Westchester Ave
Exit 8 (8B SB): Shore Rd
Exit 8C (SB ONLY): Pelham Pkwy WEST
Exit 9A (9 SB): Hutch Pkwy NORTH
Exit 9B (NB ONLY): Gun Hill Rd
Exit 10A (10 SB): Bartow Rd/Co-Op City Blvd
Exit 10B (NB ONLY): Baychester Ave
Exit 11 (11A SB): Connor St (/Baychester Ave SB)
Exit 11B (SB ONLY): Hutch Pkwy SOUTH
Exit 13: US 1
Exit 14: North Ave/Cedar St
Exit 15 (NB ONLY): Chatsworth Ave
Exit 18A: Fenimore Ave (NB); Mamaroneck Ave SOUTH (SB)
Exit 18B: Mamaroneck Ave (NORTH SB)
Exit 21: Playland Pkwy
Exit 22A (NB ONLY): US 1
Exit 22B (22 SB): I-287 WEST
Exit 23 (NB ONLY): Midland Ave
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

empirestate

Quote from: astralentity on November 19, 2019, 09:35:22 AM
I think I speak for most NYers when I say I'm sick of having three sets of exit numbers for both highways.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the only person (New Yorker or otherwise) I've ever heard say so. :-)

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on November 22, 2019, 10:07:38 PM
I think I speak for most NYers when I say I'm sick of having three sets of exit numbers for both highways.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the only person (New Yorker or otherwise) I've ever heard say so. :-)
I've heard many.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on November 23, 2019, 01:16:40 AM
Quote from: empirestate on November 22, 2019, 10:07:38 PM

I've heard many.

With my one and your many against 19.5 million, I'm still comfortable with the odds. :-)

seicer

The NY route 17/32 interchange reconstruction into a diverging diamond seems to be mostly complete. I drove through it tonight and it was a pretty smooth experience. I did note that a chunk of NY Route 17 had been rebuilt from the ground-up with new concrete with what I assume longitudinal tining.

Alps

Quote from: seicer on November 24, 2019, 10:48:42 PM
The NY route 17/32 interchange reconstruction into a diverging diamond seems to be mostly complete. I drove through it tonight and it was a pretty smooth experience. I did note that a chunk of NY Route 17 had been rebuilt from the ground-up with new concrete with what I assume longitudinal tining.
Welcome to my part of the world. Yes, we're doing final adjustments to signals and signing, but the DDI is done.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: Alps on November 24, 2019, 11:37:41 PM
Welcome to my part of the world. Yes, we're doing final adjustments to signals and signing, but the DDI is done.

What would be the criteria used to declare this project a success?
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 26, 2019, 11:10:35 AM

From an engineering perspective, no unusual circumstances proffer themselves (large cracks, misaligned joints, etc.) and everything is built to plan. From a public policy perspective, it comes in within budget and on time (and I believe it's actually a little early).

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2019, 12:38:07 AM

From an engineering perspective, no unusual circumstances proffer themselves (large cracks, misaligned joints, etc.) and everything is built to plan. From a public policy perspective, it comes in within budget and on time (and I believe it's actually a little early).
does traffic flow comes into play at any point?

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on November 27, 2019, 06:17:26 AM

Well before the project hits the ground.

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2019, 08:36:30 PM

We'r about "success" criteria. What if project engineering works great, it is built on time and on budget - but causes new traffic backups and/or crashes. Would that be a success?

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on November 27, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2019, 08:36:30 PM

We'r about "success" criteria. What if project engineering works great, it is built on time and on budget - but causes new traffic backups and/or crashes. Would that be a success?
That is a failure in project scope, not a failure of the project itself.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on November 28, 2019, 01:48:11 AM
Quote from: kalvado on November 27, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
That is a failure in project scope, not a failure of the project itself.
That could be a failure in the traffic engineering aspect of the project.

The civil engineering and the construction engineering could be 100% successful, but the project itself could fail in other ways.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Michael

It seems like the Onondaga Lake Parkway bridge is becoming our 11foot8.  Recently, I saw two more articles about it.  This article mentions that NYSDOT wants to narrow the parkway to one lane in each direction, add a median barrier, and lower the speed limit.  This article mentions the changes as well, but also mentions that CSX is willing to raise the bridge if NY pays for it.  I noticed in the embedded tweet in the article that there's an APL shown for the intersection of NY 370 and Old Liverpool Rd in Liverpool.  I don't think I've ever seen an APL for a surface street before.

Regarding the talk about cameras and VMSes earlier, I saw this article yesterday.

Rothman

The first article does not state that "NYSDOT wants to" implement the road diet, although the second does -- I believe incorrectly.  Rather, my understanding is that it is actually Onondaga County that is the sponsor of the project while NYSDOT is assisting by implementing it.

(personal opinion expressed)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

That makes sense - I was wondering about it since NYSDOT's threshold for considering a road diet is 15k and the FHWA threshold 20k, and the AADT of Onondaga Lake Parkway exceeds both.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

crispy93

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

roadwaywiz95

Coming up on Saturday, December 14 (start time is 5 PM ET), my YouTube channel & I will be co-hosting a special *live* 'webinar' event (alongside a few members of this forum) a general discussion and video tour of the three-digit (auxiliary) interstates of northern/western New York State. As is typical with my *live* work, attendees will be able to chime in and interact with us throughout the course of the afternoon.

We look forward to your company; links to the presentation can be found below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7EbK9XNfZI

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Rothman

Huh.  It's unfortunate your tour of I-690 wasn't delayed a little bit.  The Bridge Street project supposedly will be all done quite soon (end of this week?)..except I still need to complain about the exit only arrow on the Bridge St sign over the option lane headed EB.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2019, 06:49:45 PM
Huh.  It's unfortunate your tour of I-690 wasn't delayed a little bit.  The Bridge Street project supposedly will be all done quite soon (end of this week?)..except I still need to complain about the exit only arrow on the Bridge St sign over the option lane headed EB.

It's not live on the road. It's a video recap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.