News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I wouldn't say it moves the turn movements away from the thru lanes so much as it moves the thru lanes away from the turn movements.  That said, the flyover also appears to be the concept the MPO likes the least, judging by the article I read.  Among other things, one thing they don't like about it is that it "wouldn't slow down traffic on US 9".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheDon102

Concept B to me looks the best, however it's probably the most expensive :bigass: 

Also seems like Concept B will take a single house, I might be wrong

Alps

Quote from: TheDon102 on October 14, 2020, 08:54:37 PM
Concept B to me looks the best, however it's probably the most expensive :bigass: 

I like B because it's the weirdest. C just seems too contrived.

TheDon102

Quote from: Alps on October 14, 2020, 10:50:04 PM

I like B because it's the weirdest. C just seems too contrived.

B looks like a freeway, the others just look weird

epzik8

What's with this shield assembly in Port Jervis? NY 209 should be US 209.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

baugh17

Quote from: epzik8 on October 15, 2020, 07:09:17 AM

What US route in New York hasn't been "demoted"?

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on October 15, 2020, 11:15:57 AM

220?

vdeane

More expensive than building a viaduct over the entire interchange?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2020, 12:57:40 PM

More expensive than building a viaduct over the entire interchange?

The only thing D does is build that viaduct, which is almost certainly cheaper and quicker than several new bridges, new interchanges, and a realignment.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

seicer

These concepts are all so... funky. Is there a reason for keeping the freeway along the north-south arterial versus converting it into say, a 45 MPH boulevard? Weren't those full freeway plans aborted?

Alps

Quote from: seicer on October 15, 2020, 07:02:41 PM
These concepts are all so... funky. Is there a reason for keeping the freeway along the north-south arterial versus converting it into say, a 45 MPH boulevard? Weren't those full freeway plans aborted?
Traffic volumes could merit it, and perhaps there are enough parallel corridors better suited for multi-modal use such that this doesn't need it.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2020, 08:32:24 PM
I wouldn't say it moves the turn movements away from the thru lanes so much as it moves the thru lanes away from the turn movements.

It separates them, is all I'm saying. I'm not referring to physical location.

QuoteThat said, the flyover also appears to be the concept the MPO likes the least, judging by the article I read.  Among other things, one thing they don't like about it is that it "wouldn't slow down traffic on US 9".

Traffic is already pretty slow through there, in my experience–certainly more so than stretches to the south and north, at least relative to the speed limit. Though that is in no small part due to the interchange itself.

Quote from: seicer on October 15, 2020, 07:02:41 PM

For that matter, I wonder they didn't consider just eliminating the non-bridge movements altogether, given the proximity of other connections to the local streets. Traffic bound to and from the town has several other possible exits nearby; I always use one of them instead. Sure, you could say that traffic needing to use the E-W arterial (i.e., commercial traffic) needs also to have ramp connections that don't go through local streets, but that arterial is a problem concept to begin with, and such traffic in many cases probably ought to be routed somewhere else in the first place.

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 03, 2020, 07:43:37 PM
Why is that not a safe arrangement? Seems to me it's good use of the space.
Well, you've got cops coming in and out of a tight area right next to the loop off-ramp. It's a weaving hazard. However as Mr. Matte pointed out in an earlier post...

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 26, 2020, 04:01:29 PM
There's existing streets below the (elevated) loop ramp already.
So perhaps there is a difference between this and the CHP station between the Santa Monica and Harbor Freeways.

epzik8

Quote from: Alps on October 15, 2020, 11:18:30 AM

220?
I don't think 220 actually makes it into New York state.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on October 19, 2020, 04:46:32 PM

220?
It used to, until quite recently, end at old 17 just inside the border. No shields = no errors.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2020, 12:45:03 AM

220?
It used to, until quite recently, end at old 17 just inside the border. No shields = no errors.

What happened quite recently?

baugh17

Quote from: empirestate on October 20, 2020, 11:02:55 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2020, 12:45:03 AM

220?

US 220 was formally truncated to end at I-86/NY 17 instead of Chemung St.

empirestate

Quote from: baugh17 on October 20, 2020, 12:07:13 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 20, 2020, 11:02:55 AM

US 220 was formally truncated to end at I-86/NY 17 instead of Chemung St.

Huh, I'll be darned. I just located the relevant AASHTO petition. Clearly, gone are the day when this was the sort of thing I was scrupulously on top of. :-D

What's ironic is that this petition is probably the most definitive evidence I've ever seen the US 220 did, in fact, extend into New York after the STE was built. It sounds like NYSDOT always assumed it to be truncated, but that "somehow,
the paperwork was never completed years ago"–and so that little anomaly came to be.

Only thing I don't get, the petition says that NY 17C was rescinded "about ten years ago", which would be 2007. But surely 17C was taken off of Chemung Street rather longer ago than that, and certainly it hasn't been rescinded elsewhere?

(Oh, and I'm assuming there's no actual change to the route within Pennsylvania. The document refers ambiguously to the state line and the junction of I-86/NY 17, but if there's any meaningful difference between the two, it's one of mere feet.)

baugh17

Quote from: empirestate on October 20, 2020, 04:03:32 PM
Only thing I don't get, the petition says that NY 17C was rescinded "about ten years ago", which would be 2007. But surely 17C was taken off of Chemung Street rather longer ago than that, and certainly it hasn't been rescinded elsewhere?

Agreed.  I lived in the area from 1993-2007 and I don't ever recall seeing Chemung St. signed as NY 17C west of NY 34 during that time.

empirestate

Quote from: baugh17 on October 20, 2020, 04:59:51 PM
Agreed.  I lived in the area from 1993-2007 and I don't ever recall seeing Chemung St. signed as NY 17C west of NY 34 during that time.

Maybe it was a similar thing, where NYSDOT considered it to have happened, but never filled out the "paperwork", so while the signage was all removed, it was never formalized until 2007?

Or, more likely, the information in this document just isn't all that precise...

Pete from Boston

I was just looking forward to my first trip around the Storm King Highway in a few years, and the gates are closed at both ends. There are signs posted well ahead of each of the closures, which makes me wonder if this is long-term. Is this some kind of new normal.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 01, 2020, 05:05:15 PM
I was just looking forward to my first trip around the Storm King Highway in a few years, and the gates are closed at both ends. There are signs posted well ahead of each of the closures, which makes me wonder if this is long-term. Is this some kind of new normal.

Storm King Highway is not plowed or salted in the winter. Whenever there is a forecast for snow/ice (such as there was on Friday and is for early this week), the road is gated off. Unless there's a decent amount of rockfall, I expect it to be back open by next weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2020, 05:12:27 PM

Storm King Highway is not plowed or salted in the winter. Whenever there is a forecast for snow/ice (such as there was on Friday and is for early this week), the road is gated off. Unless there's a decent amount of rockfall, I expect it to be back open by next weekend.
You can still walk it.  It is not that far to the overlook.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2020, 05:16:09 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2020, 05:12:27 PM

You can still walk it.  It is not that far to the overlook.

I didn't really have time, plus it was pouring off and on this afternoon/evening. And the dude at the West Point/US Mint security gate was already looking mr over.

D-Dey65

I always thought that would be the kind of road that gets closed off for military activities from West Point as well.

On another topic, I just found out that the road along the Lake George Battlefield State Park used to have Robert Moses-style wooden lampposts.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_George_Battlefield_State_Park_sign.jpg

Those lampposts don't exist anymore, but there's an erroneous NY (US) 9 sign at the recently built roundabout there. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4177318,-73.7050069,3a,75y,310.49h,102.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfzsqPm81rtk1VDQaPu2EFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And I see I just brought this thread up to 199 pages.

:sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.