News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2020, 08:41:04 PM
Quote from: astralentity on December 20, 2020, 04:54:55 PM
Going to Port Jervis yesterday, I noticed there's no town line signs in Orange County on I-84.  Vestiges of Thruway control?
That's what I would guess.  No reference markers, either.

What gets me is that they didn't install reference markers with the recent sign replacement project. Tenth mile markers were installed, but not reference markers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GenExpwy

Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2020, 08:41:04 PM
Quote from: astralentity on December 20, 2020, 04:54:55 PM
Going to Port Jervis yesterday, I noticed there's no town line signs in Orange County on I-84.  Vestiges of Thruway control?
That's what I would guess.  No reference markers, either.

NYSDOT is inconsistent with town line signs in general. Much of I-390 in Livingston County has never had them – even at the Geneseo—Groveland town line, which is within a sign project that happened just a couple of years ago.
On surface roads around here, the state signs are completely random (the towns are more consistent with their tiny notices about zoning laws and building permits).

cl94

NYSDOT town line signs really depend on the region. Regions 1, 5, and 6 are good with them (3 and 7 may be, not there often enough to remember). Others are not. Region 10 doesn't post them at all, 8 and 9 tend not to.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

KEVIN_224

They're very consistent here in Connecticut. The white-on-green is the state standard. The Rocky Hill sign with the town seal is how I wish they'd look. :)

cu2010

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
NYSDOT town line signs really depend on the region. Regions 1, 5, and 6 are good with them (3 and 7 may be, not there often enough to remember). Others are not. Region 10 doesn't post them at all, 8 and 9 tend not to.

7 is hit or miss. Most town lines are signed, but many only have local and not DOT signage.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1138228,-74.1617937,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5CS8MsvP_Y2Jfj65kI_kSg!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Is this the new New York Welcome to signs or is this just for the NYS Thruway crossings?

This is awful. I like the old Thruway signs or the usual Welcome signs at state highway entrance points.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2020, 09:56:31 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1138228,-74.1617937,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5CS8MsvP_Y2Jfj65kI_kSg!2e0!3e11!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Is this the new New York Welcome to signs or is this just for the NYS Thruway crossings?

This is awful. I like the old Thruway signs or the usual Welcome signs at state highway entrance points.

I believe this sign is used on I-84 entering from Connecticut. I hate it too. The NYS tourism signs are a real embarassment.

baugh17

I thought these were to supposed to be new welcome signs in general, but I have only seen them on the Interstates.

It certainly could certainly be worse, like on NY 43 at the MA line: http://newyorkroutes.net/images/photos/routes/043/043-02350w1.JPG

storm2k

They started putting these up a few years ago. Originally there were four or five signs that followed the "Welcome to NY" sign to advertise apps and websites and stuff. The FHWA withheld money from the state until the state took most of them down. I think these are the compromise ones at the end of it all. There's even one at the exit of the Lincoln Tunnel onto Dyre Ave in Manhattan.

seicer

shadyjay

I actually think the current welcome to NY sign isn't that bad.  It's certainly better than its predecessor: 
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01RuDZwmiw6jp9cae8QIJbTo655kQ:1609432718481&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=welcome+to+new+york+sign&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjz2-WL1PjtAhXSmVkKHbJpAmEQjJkEegQIBBAB&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=j3etYda-JgjToM

But not as good as the one that preceeded...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/285187797/sizes/l/

Come to think of it, the two I linked above were probably only used on the Thruway entrances from state lines.  2-lane roads had the green "Welcome to New York/the Empire State" sign with the state shield.  Now I believe all borders, Thruway or not, get the present sign.

vdeane

Quote from: shadyjay on December 31, 2020, 11:42:44 AM
Come to think of it, the two I linked above were probably only used on the Thruway entrances from state lines.  2-lane roads had the green "Welcome to New York/the Empire State" sign with the state shield.  Now I believe all borders, Thruway or not, get the present sign.
Historically, that sign was used on all non-Thruway borders, including interstates.  Now the present sign is used at Thruway and other interstate/freeway borders, and the surface road borders are a mixed bag of the older sign, the state of opportunity sign, and the newer one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

I've always liked New Jersey's. I like that the state leaned into the classic postcard thing that's a classic NJ staple.

froggie

Also mentioned in the Vermont thread but relevant here:  the Essex-Charlotte Ferry on Lake Champlain will be suspended starting next Monday (1/4), due to low usage as a result of COVID.  The Plattsburgh-Grand Isle Ferry remains in operation.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/12/21/shutdown-of-charlotte-essex-ferry-raises-outcry-on-both-sides-of-the-lake/

cl94

I didn't realize the Charlotte-Essex ferry was even running. I know it was down to one ferry back in the spring.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on December 31, 2020, 09:53:39 PM
Also mentioned in the Vermont thread but relevant here:  the Essex-Charlotte Ferry on Lake Champlain will be suspended starting next Monday (1/4), due to low usage as a result of COVID.

That's too bad! I took that ferry back in summer 2018 and it seemed well-used, although a lot has changed since then. For the sake of locals and tourists I hope it's temporary.

vdeane

I can't say I'm surprised, given that everyone who goes to (or returns to) Vermont is required to have a 14 day quarantine.  They don't have an exemption for neighboring states like seems to be typical in the other states around here.  I'm actually amazed there's as much traffic across the border as there is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

^ Better jobs in Chittenden County than in Plattsburgh...or so the theory I've heard is.  And those considered "essential employees" are exempt from the 14 day quarantine (unless they're showing symptoms themselves) as has been the case since COVID began.

cu2010

Quote from: vdeane on January 01, 2021, 10:50:50 PM
I can't say I'm surprised, given that everyone who goes to (or returns to) Vermont is required to have a 14 day quarantine.  They don't have an exemption for neighboring states like seems to be typical in the other states around here.  I'm actually amazed there's as much traffic across the border as there is.

Vermont was on a county-by-county basis for several months over the summer and early fall until things spiraled out of control again. I was able to get two visits in without the need for quarantine.

Of course, I'm likely moving there in a couple months...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

froggie

QuoteOf course, I'm likely moving there in a couple months...

Oh...?

D-Dey65

Quote from: storm2k on December 31, 2020, 01:08:56 AM

They started putting these up a few years ago. Originally there were four or five signs that followed the "Welcome to NY" sign to advertise apps and websites and stuff. The FHWA withheld money from the state until the state took most of them down. I think these are the compromise ones at the end of it all. There's even one at the exit of the Lincoln Tunnel onto Dyre Ave in Manhattan.
I don't remember whether they kept them in Port Jefferson, though, and I was there in November 2019. If anything that was one of the locations they should've stayed, because they were aimed at all the people coming off the Port Jeff-Bridgeport Ferry.

astralentity

Quote from: cu2010 on December 24, 2020, 06:26:17 PM
7 is hit or miss. Most town lines are signed, but many only have local and not DOT signage.

I noticed this today going up to Evans Mills.  12 was semi consistent north of Boonville,  26 was hit or miss.  Town line signs looked non existent in Jefferson County, at least as what I saw on 26 between 3 and US 11.

Region 2 is on the game in most spots, however some Herkimer County towns on 28 and 29 tend to do the Vermont thing with town provided painted signs.

TheGrassGuy

How to take over NY: A comprehensive guide for NJDOT

1. Make all the shields circles
2. Add 600 to every county route number
3. Add black backgrounds to everything
4. Extend NJ-23 to Port Jervis
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

dkblake

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 02, 2021, 09:17:17 AM
I don't remember whether they kept them in Port Jefferson, though, and I was there in November 2019. If anything that was one of the locations they should've stayed, because they were aimed at all the people coming off the Port Jeff-Bridgeport Ferry.

Are you thinking of the Orient Point ferry? I'm pretty sure there was a sign once you turned onto NY 25. I lived near Port Jeff for about a decade until 2015 and don't ever remember a Welcome to NY sign there- there's not really space for one anyway.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

cl94

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 04, 2021, 01:14:41 PM
How to take over NY: A comprehensive guide for NJDOT

3. Add black backgrounds to everything

NJDOT stopped that a few years ago. FHWA threatened to take away funding if it continued.

Quote from: dkblake on January 04, 2021, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 02, 2021, 09:17:17 AM

Are you thinking of the Orient Point ferry? I'm pretty sure there was a sign once you turned onto NY 25. I lived near Port Jeff for about a decade until 2015 and don't ever remember a Welcome to NY sign there- there's not really space for one anyway.

Orient Point 100% had a series of signs when I was there in 2016.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.