News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I was ready to look for this issue on the bridge as soon as I heard Cuomo was resigning. It also made me wonder about any other potential projects and how they're going to be impacted.

kalvado

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 11, 2021, 08:17:51 AM
I was ready to look for this issue on the bridge as soon as I heard Cuomo was resigning. It also made me wonder about any other potential projects and how they're going to be impacted.
September 30th is the day for PANYNJ board meeting with the vote for final approval of LGA Airtrain being scheduled. May be a big one in that respect

empirestate

For comparison, note that Donald J. Trump State Park is still so named.

Rothman

Quote from: lstone19 on August 11, 2021, 08:05:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2021, 11:50:36 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2021, 06:51:34 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on August 10, 2021, 03:15:33 PM
Any chance for a name change for the Mario M. Cuomo bridge? 
I don't recall any disgrace around that former governor so doubtful.
Yeah, these calls for reversion now that Cuomo the Younger is resigning seem silly.

Not so silly when you consider that the naming seems to have been pushed (complete with insistence that only the full "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" name be used and it never be shortened to the "Cuomo Bridge") by his now disgraced son. The name is inexorably tied to Andrew. I've even derisively referred to it as "Daddy's Bridge". I suspect NYS will proceed to attempt to rid itself of anything that ties to Andrew.
Mario Cuomo is not Andrew Cuomo, so it's silly.  That name change was completed and is therefore in the past.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on August 11, 2021, 10:32:40 AM

For comparison, note that Donald J. Trump State Park is still so named.
Right.  Fact of the matter is that projects in progress will be stripped of Andrew Cuomo's name and replaced with Hochul's.  That's the extent of name changes that will happen.

This isn't the Pharaoh striking Moses' name off of absolutely everything, as apparently some opponents are salivating for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

billpa

I just want a shorter name. The signs currently used look ridiculous.

Pixel 2

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2021, 10:46:01 AM
Yeah, these calls for reversion now that Cuomo the Younger is resigning seem silly.

Not so silly when you consider that the naming seems to have been pushed (complete with insistence that only the full "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" name be used and it never be shortened to the "Cuomo Bridge") by his now disgraced son. The name is inexorably tied to Andrew. I've even derisively referred to it as "Daddy's Bridge". I suspect NYS will proceed to attempt to rid itself of anything that ties to Andrew.
Mario Cuomo is not Andrew Cuomo, so it's silly.  That name change was completed and is therefore in the past.
Nameing was completed in about a week, without any public input.
Since  state of NY, as well as entire USA,  is supposed to be a democracy (as in governed by entire population, not as in governed single-handedly by a governor running under D designation), I don't see anything wrong with listening to some public opinion for a change

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on August 11, 2021, 11:53:49 AM

Since  state of NY, as well as entire USA,  is supposed to be a democracy (as in governed by entire population, not as in governed single-handedly by a governor running under D designation), I don't see anything wrong with listening to some public opinion for a change
Oh.  Okay.  NY hears you and the name is staying.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2021, 11:55:29 AM

Would be wise for Hochul to do a name change under  "message of necessity"  protocol, though. 

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on August 11, 2021, 11:58:57 AM

Would be wise for Hochul to do a name change under  "message of necessity"  protocol, though.
Better let her know that.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2021, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 11, 2021, 11:58:57 AM

Better let her know that.
Well, we will see.
Given the public irritation with the name, I wouldn't be surprised something would happen.
But I also expected Cuomo to get 4th term no matter what... So I am not willing to bet more than $5 on my opinion. 

lstone19

I'm sure NYS employees are required to call it by its official name, at least in public. I, OTOH, as a private citizen, am free to call it anything I want. When I'm charitable, I'll call it the Tappan Zee Bridge. When I'm not so charitable, I'll call it "Daddy's Bridge." But its current official name will never pass my lips.

Jim

The name of a bridge is obviously not a life-altering issue for me (nor for anyone else, I hope), but I don't like the name or the way it was done.  I can't imagine there would be much controversy if the new bridge had been named something like the "Mario Cuomo Bridge at Tappan Zee", leaving the signage as "Tappan Zee Bridge".  Also agreed that the lengthy name that apparently has to be used on all signs is a little cumbersome:

I doubt that it will change and question whether fighting it is a useful way to channel people's energy and the state's money.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman65

It's in the MUTCD anyway for it's use on signs as control destinations.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Regarding the Tappan Zee Bridge: like many others who have commented, I tend to see how it is named and how that name is signed as separate issues.  I don't object to its being named after Mario Cuomo, but I do vigorously object to the name--complete with title and middle initial--being used on pull-through signs.

I have been told that a return to the Tappan Zee Bridge name is administratively impossible since "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" has been established in state law as the sole official name of the facility.  However, I don't know the specifics of how this prohibits "Tappan Zee Bridge" as a control point for pull-through signs with the Cuomo name on white-on-brown memorial signing somewhere in the corridor, as provided for in the MUTCD.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

empirestate

That's something of a misconception. While such a system is a stated ideal for many of our citizens, it doesn't happen to be the one we established. We have a considerable amount of both representation and delegation baked in, so when the system works that way, it is functioning as designed (if not as desired).

roadman65

Just because the name gets removed on a guide sign does not mean it's legislatively changed. Go ahead keep the name, but don't ram his name down everyone's throat, and by forcing the NYSTA to disregard the MUTCD and insist his middle initial be used with his title.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 11, 2021, 12:18:46 PM
Regarding the Tappan Zee Bridge: like many others who have commented, I tend to see how it is named and how that name is signed as separate issues.  I don't object to its being named after Mario Cuomo, but I do vigorously object to the name--complete with title and middle initial--being used on pull-through signs.

I have been told that a return to the Tappan Zee Bridge name is administratively impossible since "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" has been established in state law as the sole official name of the facility.  However, I don't know the specifics of how this prohibits "Tappan Zee Bridge" as a control point for pull-through signs with the Cuomo name on white-on-brown memorial signing somewhere in the corridor, as provided for in the MUTCD.
Official name of the old Tappan Zee bridge included the name of 1940s governor - but that was only used on memorial plaque on the bridge.
As for state law... Easy come, easy go.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 11, 2021, 12:28:35 PM
insist his middle initial be used with his title.

That was the part of this whole topic that perplexed me the most...right after NYSTA finished updating the signs to "Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge" (whole new panels in some cases*), they had to go back and patch "Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge" right over it.

*The EB/SB pull-thru at exit 11 is the example I'm thinking of here - click back thru the years in GSV to see all the differences.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on August 11, 2021, 12:34:24 PMAs for state law... Easy come, easy go.

It seems there is already a bill (admittedly, pre-dating Andrew's resignation by a bit over five months) to remove Mario Cuomo's name from the bridge.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheDon102

sins of the son....

roadman65

No it was his attitude towards it. He was obsessed with getting it on the signs and hissed at the NYSTA for leaving out his middle initial.  Oh yeah, and don't forget the title Governor.

Sheryl Crowe

GreenLanternCorps

I just posted this in the Tappan Zee thread...

https://nypost.com/2021/08/11/democrats-want-mario-cuomo-bridge-changed-back-to-tappan-zee/

There may be enough people ticked off about the name, and angry at Cuomo for other reasons to get a name change through the legislature.

roadman65

Well this is the USA, we go along with the flow.  Anyway IMO if the name stays I am not going to lose sleep over it like some do over confederate statues remaining. 

However, people will whine. Don't matter if you are a Democrat, Republican, Catholic, Muslim, Atheist, Independent, or whatever stereotypes are out there. You can't please everyone, but people will rant until their grave.

Sheryl Crowe

shadyjay

How about they go back to calling it the "Tappan Zee Bridge" on guide signs, but put up a sign at the bridge that says "Gov Mario M Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge".  After all, the old bridge was the "Gov Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge". 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.