News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 30, 2021, 10:41:45 PM
The Bear Mountain Bridge is going cashless starting tonight at midnight.
Backups have gotten really bad there on weekends with lines through the cash booth, and then when the gate arm doesn't go up on the EZPass booth (don't get me started on gate arms), so this is exciting! It will also result in backups on the far end when people can't turn left onto 9D and suddenly you've got a full demand backing up there instead of at the toll plaza.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 12:37:04 AM
Backups have gotten really bad there on weekends with lines through the cash booth, and then when the gate arm doesn't go up on the EZPass booth (don't get me started on gate arms), so this is exciting! It will also result in backups on the far end when people can't turn left onto 9D and suddenly you've got a full demand backing up there instead of at the toll plaza.
...and then you have the paltry parking for the Appalachian Trail due to the terrain causing its own issues.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Aww, crap! Now I'll never get any shots of the toll plaza!

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 01, 2021, 07:19:36 AM
Aww, crap! Now I'll never get any shots of the toll plaza!
I thought they were leaving the old booths in due to their aesthetic appearance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2021, 06:47:08 AM
...and then you have the paltry parking for the Appalachian Trail due to the terrain causing its own issues.

I'm actually attending a group hike there tomorrow. Knowing the parking situation, my plan is to arrive early, park at Bear Mountain and walk over to the trailhead in Putchester.

Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2021, 08:38:33 AM
I thought they were leaving the old booths in due to their aesthetic appearance.

That's what I'd hoped, but somebody here said they are to be removed. (There would still be the NYSBA building itself, which provides much of the aesthetic character.)

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on October 01, 2021, 01:01:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2021, 06:47:08 AM

I'm actually attending a group hike there tomorrow. Knowing the parking situation, my plan is to arrive early, park at Bear Mountain and walk over to the trailhead in Putchester.

Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2021, 08:38:33 AM

That's what I'd hoped, but somebody here said they are to be removed. (There would still be the NYSBA building itself, which provides much of the aesthetic character.)
Ah, right.  I had it backwards.

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2021, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 29, 2021, 08:37:24 PM
And yet again I find myself thinking that sometimes exit numbering creates more problems than it solves. If the State of California was able to manage without exit numbers for as long as they did until the FHWA forced them to comply, then I don't know why we really need them especially in urban areas.
As someone non-native, it's a problem in CA. Some highways interchange multiple roads with similar or same names.

Point noted. California partly compensated for the lack of exit numbers with their well placed interchange sequence signs showing the distances to the next three exits. I made several trips to different parts of Calif. in their pre-exit number era and had very few problems navigating their freeways.

yakra

Quote from: shadyjay on September 28, 2021, 09:28:02 PM
Maine didn't bother renumbering exits on I-295 in Portland when they converted, to avoid "alphabet soup".
Fictional: Milepost exits for "classic" I-295
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bluecountry

Any reason why the LIE is in such horrible pavement condition in Suffolk County west of exit 65?
It is just terrible, any schedule to repair?

cl94

Saturday evening, I drove the entire length of I-88 for the first time in forever. If you have ever driven that thing, you'd know about the miserable pavement quality between Oneonta and Cobleskill. Well, guess what? They're reconstructing it! As in almost the entire length at the same time. Three separate contraflow sections, but almost the entire distance between Exits 17 and 21 (close to 30 miles) is contraflowed. Two short segments with passing lanes separate three contraflow sections. I'm happy that they're finally doing something about this section (even if 10+ years late), but it is painful. WB rest area near the Otsego/Schoharie line is closed due to the construction.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

It's been going on forever.  I have no idea why it has taken this long.

webny99

The I-390 reconstruction south of the Thruway is also taking forever. Northbound is finally wrapping up, but southbound hasn't been touched, so it's on track to be a two-year project.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2021, 03:21:54 PM
The I-390 reconstruction south of the Thruway is also taking forever. Northbound is finally wrapping up, but southbound hasn't been touched, so it's on track to be a two-year project.
I-88 sees your two years and deems you a promising amateur.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2021, 05:48:57 PM
I-88 sees your two years and deems you a promising amateur.

If 10 miles of I-390 takes two years, I would expect 30 miles of I-88 to take... 6 years?

cl94

88 has been reconstructed in segments for the better part of 20 years now. Some segments have seen very little work since the road was built in the 70s and 80s. It'll easily be another 5-10 years before the rest is done. Everything that has not yet been reconstructed is scheduled to be and it's mostly (if not entirely) in Otsego and Schoharie Counties.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Two years is pretty standard for that type of project.  The mainline part of 490 Gateway took 2-3 years (throwing in the Troup-Howell Bridge and the bridges over 490, and it easily took more than half a decade).  I-490 from Bushnell's Basin to Fairport took 2 years.  Exits 39-40 on the Thruway took 3.  I don't remember how long NY 104 took (I couldn't have been older than 5) but I imagine it was similar.

Quote from: cl94 on October 04, 2021, 05:53:27 PM
88 has been reconstructed in segments for the better part of 20 years now. Some segments have seen very little work since the road was built in the 70s and 80s. It'll easily be another 5-10 years before the rest is done. Everything that has not yet been reconstructed is scheduled to be and it's mostly (if not entirely) in Otsego and Schoharie Counties.
Not sure how much more there is.  The public site shows two contracts for I-88 in that area; the bridge/resurfacing job shows a completion date a year from now and the rehab contract throws a 404 not found error.  Otego has been done.  Belden hill has been done.  Exits 1-2 has been done.  There was a diamond grind around Cobleskill.  Exit 22-Region 1 has been done, and Schenectady County has been done.  What else does that leave?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2021, 09:23:52 PM
I-490 from Bushnell's Basin to Fairport took 2 years. ... I don't remember how long NY 104 took (I couldn't have been older than 5) but I imagine it was similar.

I-490 from Bushnells to Fairport was reconstructed? When was that? Also, what part of NY 104 was reconstructed?

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 12:37:04 AM

couldnt they put a traffic light at the end of the bridge to prevent the backups for people wanting to turn left onto 9D? or a roundabout?

empirestate

Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 05, 2021, 02:10:51 AM
couldnt they put a traffic light at the end of the bridge to prevent the backups for people wanting to turn left onto 9D? or a roundabout?

No room for a roundabout, and a traffic light would likely lead to objectionable backups on the Goat Trail (Peekskill) approach. Usually there isn't a whole lot of demand for NY 9D compared to the through route of US 6/202, so the need for this may turn out to be limited.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2021, 09:59:30 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2021, 09:23:52 PM
I-490 from Bushnell's Basin to Fairport took 2 years. ... I don't remember how long NY 104 took (I couldn't have been older than 5) but I imagine it was similar.

I-490 from Bushnells to Fairport was reconstructed? When was that? Also, what part of NY 104 was reconstructed?

Whops, I meant Bushnell's Basin to Victor.  We must be talking about Bushnell's Basin to Fairport so often that I typed it on autopiliot.

I was very young when NY 104 was done, but I feel like was the whole freeway, or at least the part west of Five Mile Line Road (which is older than the part east of there).  That's when westbound the parking area/rest area just before the Bay Bridge was closed.  It became a construction staging area and never reopened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2021, 02:45:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2021, 09:59:30 PM

Whops, I meant Bushnell's Basin to Victor.  We must be talking about Bushnell's Basin to Fairport so often that I typed it on autopiliot.

Fair enough... I take partial responsibility for that ;)

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2021, 02:45:20 PM
I was very young when NY 104 was done, but I feel like was the whole freeway, or at least the part west of Five Mile Line Road (which is older than the part east of there).  That's when westbound the parking area/rest area just before the Bay Bridge was closed.  It became a construction staging area and never reopened.

Too bad I never saw the parking/rest area when it was in operation. It's kind of a cool location and I hope it's reopened someday.

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on October 05, 2021, 09:23:38 AM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on October 05, 2021, 02:10:51 AM

No room for a roundabout, and a traffic light would likely lead to objectionable backups on the Goat Trail (Peekskill) approach. Usually there isn't a whole lot of demand for NY 9D compared to the through route of US 6/202, so the need for this may turn out to be limited.
I wouldn't speculate on the traffic light. It's something that can easily be modeled and studied to determine how it would function. Your main phase would be 6-202, second phase would be EB left/SB right, and then SB left would occasionally get a phase if needed.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on October 05, 2021, 06:02:12 PM
I wouldn't speculate on the traffic light. It's something that can easily be modeled and studied to determine how it would function. Your main phase would be 6-202, second phase would be EB left/SB right, and then SB left would occasionally get a phase if needed.

The issue wouldn't be so much the timing/phasing, but rather the terrain. Coming down the Goat Trail requires enough attention as it is; to add a signal into the mix would possibly require a greater justification than is provided by the volume of traffic needing to go north on 9D. (That traffic would typically include me, now that I live in that direction.)

kalvado

Quote from: kalvado on August 11, 2021, 08:24:47 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 11, 2021, 08:17:51 AM
I was ready to look for this issue on the bridge as soon as I heard Cuomo was resigning. It also made me wonder about any other potential projects and how they're going to be impacted.
September 30th is the day for PANYNJ board meeting with the vote for final approval of LGA Airtrain being scheduled. May be a big one in that respect
And now Hochul basically derailed the Airtrain. I wonder if I-81 in Syracuse is next for review?

webny99

Quote from: kalvado on October 05, 2021, 07:41:27 PM
And now Hochul basically derailed the Airtrain. I wonder if I-81 in Syracuse is next for review?

Well, this quote from Hochul would seem to support the viaduct, right?  :D

"We must ensure that our transportation projects are bold, visionary, and serve the needs of New Yorkers. I remain committed to working expeditiously to rebuild our infrastructure for the 21st century ..."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.