News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

To be blunt, NY's volatile relationship with the Seneca Nation also came into play with US 219.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

okc1

Not surprised. The 219 advocacy page, continental1.org , has been down for some time now.

It would be interesting if Thruway tolls in WNY were lifted for a month or two. I suspect much of the 219 truck traffic would simply go to I-79 or US 15.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

webny99

Quote from: okc1 on April 15, 2022, 01:05:53 PM
I suspect much of the 219 truck traffic would simply go to I-79 or US 15.

I-99/US 15 is obviously the corridor of choice, given the efforts to complete NY's section of I-99 last decade combined with PA's efforts to improve the branches of that corridor with the I-80/I-99 and CSVT projects.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2022, 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 14, 2022, 07:04:38 PM
There's no demand or heavy enough traffic. As someone who uses the 219/Southern Expressway regularly, there is rarely any traffic south of New Armor Duells Road (NY 952J) and even less traffic south of Creekside/391. There is no demand for the rest to be finished, maybe.maybe....maybe with a bypass of Ellicottville. Otherwise, there's no way anything's being built south of Cattaraugus CR 101 (Peters Road). Not to mention Ashford Hollow is a speed trap the NY State Police use to their advantage (speaking from experience).

Only thing 219 needs at this point is exit numbers.
I personally find US 219 to be quite not fun to drive between I-86 and Peters Road.  Being stuck behind slowpokes is rather common.

And to think that, 15 years ago, the next section to Snake Run Road was under design and scheduled to be finished well before now.  Things sure have changed!

I do think a lack of demand is the reason this ultimately isn't moving forward now, combined with the state's priorities in WNY now being NY 33 and elsewhere in the Buffalo area. There's also the fact that even if it was finished, there's still a large gap in PA that's currently much worse than any of NY's portion, so that reduces the incentive.

I've only been on that portion of US 219 a couple of times, but one was a fall weekend and it was extremely slow. The worst part was the jog on Peters Rd. Southbound was backed up all the way onto the freeway with traffic trying to make the left turn. There was no apparent accidents or incidents of any sort, although it was mid day on a fall Saturday which I'm sure was a factor in how busy it was.

D-Dey65

Another Saw Mill River Parkway question;

Was this the site of the old Worthington New York and Putnam Railroad station?
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=12&lat=40.991111&lon=-73.874167

Because the New York State Thruway interchange is there now.

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 16, 2022, 02:50:58 PM
Another Saw Mill River Parkway question;

Was this the site of the old Worthington New York and Putnam Railroad station?
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=12&lat=40.991111&lon=-73.874167

Bewcause the New York State Thruway interchange is there now.

I'm guessing just a shade south of there, by the foot of Park Avenue West.

Mergingtraffic

There's been a lot of repaving of concrete roads around I-684 and I-287.  However, the ramps they haven't done yet.  This is I-684 SB to Westchester Ave.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Time to address a bunch of replies from the past couple weeks...

219 between Ashford and Salamanca has effectively been dead for a decade. A full freeway is probably unnecessary, but maaaaaaaybe there will be some much-needed spot improvements (fat chance, but I can wish). Notably, an Ellicottville bypass (so Ellicottville can shut the road down for festivals without gridlocking the entire county like happens now).

Northway Exit 17: part of that comes down to "it's cheaper to maintain 4 ramps than 8." I've known that interchange was being dieted for quite some time (I have some level of professional interaction with both relevant MPOs). A cloverleaf was always excessive for that location and removing half of the ramps allows for a narrower bridge that both includes shoulders and bike facilities.

NY 33: I don't think removing that was ever in the cards. It was always "cap it". The MPO there is very pro-freight compared to the other ones in the state and part of that extends to "keep trucks away from bikes/peds". Remember that the MPO wouldn't allow a Skyway removal without an expressway-grade replacement when there was a push to remove the Skyway, nor have they allowed anything more than cosmetic changes to NY 198.

NY 17: I'd argue that Hale Eddy is unnecessary. East of Monticello definitely needs upgrades; that is by far the worst part of the road at this point and the Rock Hill RIRO needs to go. I assume some of these upgrades would include much-needed 6-laning.

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 14, 2022, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 14, 2022, 01:18:57 PM
Does this mean that the US 219 Southern Expressway will have a permanent southern terminus at Peters Rd.?

This article explains WNY's challenges well. US 219 is mentioned.

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-challenges-of-being-buffalo-in-todays-new-york-state/

The political issues are an entirely different problem, but one that is going to become more prominent as we move forward. Having lived in Buffalo for close to a decade and having spent time at their MPO, I know some of these issues quite well; let's just say that regional priorities are quite different from the state's due to the blue collar/industrial economy/culture and it creates tension. The metro has far more in common with Cleveland or Detroit than even Syracuse in terms of culture, let alone Albany or NYC.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Snappyjack

Couldn't get a picture, but I-84 at the state borders and on either side of the Taconic Parkway exit has new signs warning of low bridges. Standard black text on white background stating something to the effect of "No Trucks, Trailers, RVs on Parkways" with a black text on yellow banner below saying "Low Bridges". These have been put up within the last month, I assume in response to all the recent bridge strikes.

empirestate

Quote from: Snappyjack on April 21, 2022, 10:24:08 AM
Couldn't get a picture, but I-84 at the state borders and on either side of the Taconic Parkway exit has new signs warning of low bridges. Standard black text on white background stating something to the effect of "No Trucks, Trailers, RVs on Parkways" with a black text on yellow banner below saying "Low Bridges". These have been put up within the last month, I assume in response to all the recent bridge strikes.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these. As an incidental observation, this is a non-exhaustive list of prohibited vehicles on the parkways (and of reasons for the prohibition). It is probably no coincidence that the unmentioned vehicles and reasons coincide with those less known by many motorists.

seicer

That's exclusionary. RVs are prohibited? What about van conversions? Those are not commercial in nature.

cl94

Quote from: seicer on April 21, 2022, 03:21:29 PM
That's exclusionary. RVs are prohibited? What about van conversions? Those are not commercial in nature.

RVs are explicitly prohibited under state law. Passenger cars only.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

The full list of prohibited vehicles is:
Quote(a) bicycles;
(b) buses;
(c) commercial;
(d) golf carts;
(e) hearses, except those operated by or for a licensed funeral director or undertaker while traveling to or from a funeral, interment, cremation, place of death or other destination for the acceptance and shipment of the body or remains of a deceased person;
(f) house coaches;
(g) motor-driven cycles;
(h) school buses;
(i) semitrailers;
(j) snowmobiles;
(k) tractors;
(l) trailers;
(m) trucks.
Motorcycles is surprising to me. I've never seen that enforced.

empirestate

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 21, 2022, 07:01:19 PM
Quote(a) bicycles;
(b) buses;
(c) commercial;
(d) golf carts;
(e) hearses, except those operated by or for a licensed funeral director or undertaker while traveling to or from a funeral, interment, cremation, place of death or other destination for the acceptance and shipment of the body or remains of a deceased person;
(f) house coaches;
(g) motor-driven cycles;
(h) school buses;
(i) semitrailers;
(j) snowmobiles;
(k) tractors;
(l) trailers;
(m) trucks.

Me either, though I haven't seen it NOT enforced either, as the only motorcycles I've seen on the parkways are way above 5hp.

Alps

Quote(a) bicycles;
(b) buses;
(c) commercial;
(d) golf carts;
(f) house coaches;
(g) motor-driven cycles;
(h) school buses;
(i) semitrailers;
(j) snowmobiles;
(k) tractors;
(l) trailers;
(m) trucks.
I've witnessed e) on the lower Taconic as part of a procession!

lstone19

(g) motor-driven cycles;

In most states, as near as I can tell, a motorcycle and a motor-driven cycle are not the same thing. Motor-driven cycles are things like powered scooters.

cl94

Quote from: lstone19 on April 22, 2022, 12:10:12 AM
(g) motor-driven cycles;

In most states, as near as I can tell, a motorcycle and a motor-driven cycle are not the same thing. Motor-driven cycles are things like powered scooters.

Motor-driven cycles are mopeds and the like. Motorcycles are generally considered to be equivalent to "passenger cars" in this state.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2022, 11:01:12 PM
Quote(a) bicycles;
(b) buses;
(c) commercial;
(d) golf carts;
(f) house coaches;
(g) motor-driven cycles;
(h) school buses;
(i) semitrailers;
(j) snowmobiles;
(k) tractors;
(l) trailers;
(m) trucks.
I've witnessed e) on the lower Taconic as part of a procession!
Ditto
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on April 22, 2022, 12:17:51 AM
(g) motor-driven cycles;

Motor-driven cycles are mopeds and the like. Motorcycles are generally considered to be equivalent to "passenger cars" in this state.
How would something like a Can-Am Spyder or Polaris Slingshot be classified? And does Connecticut DOT restrict such vehicles on their parkways?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Can-Am_Spyder

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Polaris_Slingshot

Those links are for anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 22, 2022, 06:58:58 AM
(g) motor-driven cycles;

How would something like a Can-Am Spyder or Polaris Slingshot be classified? And does Connecticut DOT restrict such vehicles on their parkways?

"A fool and their money are soon parted."

kalvado

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 22, 2022, 06:58:58 AM
(g) motor-driven cycles;

For the cop patrolling the parkway, it will boil down to what is the plate registration class. Motorcycle, passenger and commercial plates are well distingwishable in NY.  That is an equally difficult question, but it is fully answered by the time vehicle is on the road.
NY used to register light trucks as commercial vehicles only up to some point, even if they were used as personal cars. So those trucks were not allowed on parkways. Rules changed, so now one can register light truck as a car and drive it on a parkway.
Actually I wonder if, given all the negative comments Robert Moses' policies get these days, rules he established for parkways would be changed to actual height & weight limitations only.

webny99

Tons of light trucks (and vans, for that matter) have commercial plates but are used as personal cars. I highly doubt that's ever stopped any owner of any such vehicle from driving it on a NY parkway.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2022, 09:52:10 AM
Tons of light trucks (and vans, for that matter) have commercial plates but are used as personal cars. I highly doubt that's ever stopped any owner of any such vehicle from driving it on a NY parkway.

I'm sure it's stopped at least one, somewhere, sometime. :-) But would it have stopped many more if these vehicles were listed on big signs along with RVs and such?

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on April 22, 2022, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2022, 09:52:10 AM

I'm sure it's stopped at least one, somewhere, sometime. :-) But would it have stopped many more if these vehicles were listed on big signs along with RVs and such?
This would be a really big BGS:
(a) bicycles;
(b) buses;
(c) commercial;
(d) golf carts;
(f) house coaches;
(g) motor-driven cycles;
(h) school buses;
(i) semitrailers;
(j) snowmobiles;
(k) tractors;
(l) trailers;
(m) trucks.

crispy93

Quote from: Snappyjack on April 21, 2022, 10:24:08 AM

I saw that on Sunday getting on the Taconic from 84. Since we're talking about parkway prohibitions, the Vehicle & Traffic Law lists specific parkways in Westchester that people with learner's permits are not allowed to drive on: the Taconic, Cross-County, Hutch, and the Saw Mill. I'm guessing the law is old enough that the Sprain wasn't included (finished 1980 iirc). The Bear Mountain and Bronx River Pkwys are not mentioned. Very arbitrary.

Here's the DMV's list of weird permit restrictions (https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions):

• Parkways mentioned above
  • Any MTA bridge
  • A park within NYC
  • A road test area (not sure how this can be enforced)

NYC and LI have many restrictions for drivers under 18. Eg, in NYC, the supervising driver must have an instructor's brake and has to be a teacher or parent (not just "a licensed driver over 21"). If you pass your road test and get a "junior" DL, you're then not allowed to drive in NYC at all until you get your full Class D.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.