News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astralentity

Quote from: kalvado on June 29, 2022, 08:04:03 AM
Quote from: astralentity on June 29, 2022, 07:53:59 AM
I think NYSBA has a problem with the readers at the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  I was on the bridge back on May 28th, and I just had it posted to my EZPass account but they charged me the Pay by Plate amount.  I fired an inquiry off to EZPass to see if I can get that fixed to the proper amount ($1.55), but I don't know of any other way to get it fixed.

I wish Bestpass offered services to individuals since their toll operations team is great at getting issues fixed.
If you have that plate linked to E-ZPass account, even plate charge should be at reduced rate and charged to the account.
Yessir...  it should have been billed at $1.55 and not the full mailed bill of $2.

I'm also keeping an eye out for any Thruway shenanigans with my motorcycle plate.  My trip to Verona on Saturday hasn't popped up yet.

MASTERNC

Quote from: astralentity on June 29, 2022, 08:05:45 AM
I think NYSBA has a problem with the readers at the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  I was on the bridge back on May 28th, and I just had it posted to my EZPass account but they charged me the Pay by Plate amount.  I fired an inquiry off to EZPass to see if I can get that fixed to the proper amount ($1.55), but I don't know of any other way to get it fixed.

I wish Bestpass offered services to individuals since their toll operations team is great at getting issues fixed.
If you have that plate linked to E-ZPass account, even plate charge should be at reduced rate and charged to the account.
Yessir...  it should have been billed at $1.55 and not the full mailed bill of $2.

I'm also keeping an eye out for any Thruway shenanigans with my motorcycle plate.  My trip to Verona on Saturday hasn't popped up yet.

The only other explanation is they are charging for a mis-read.  At least the Thruway Authority has a policy that says it will bill the mail rate if an E-ZPass is not properly mounted and the toll has to be assessed through a license plate image.

astralentity

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 29, 2022, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: astralentity on June 29, 2022, 08:05:45 AM

The only other explanation is they are charging for a mis-read.  At least the Thruway Authority has a policy that says it will bill the mail rate if an E-ZPass is not properly mounted and the toll has to be assessed through a license plate image.

That's BS....  they just got it handed to them over the one gantry in Buffalo not working right causing 52,000 misreads.  Of course, I can't tell you how many times I've had to chase after problematic tolls and the erroneous mailed invoice for vehicles at work, and we have Bestpass.

astralentity

That worked.  I'm getting a 45 cent refund for that Mid Hudson Bridge toll.

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on July 01, 2022, 10:24:42 AM
Hm.  Wonder if that is more than the value of your time getting it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 10:58:29 AM
That looks like a strategy toll agencies use to make money. So arguing for every cent is a must to keep them in check.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on July 01, 2022, 11:09:14 AM
That looks like a strategy toll agencies use to make money. So arguing for every cent is a must to keep them in check.
Well, if it's worth it to you, okay, then.  Fighting over a single 45 cent toll isn't worth it in my book.

If it was recurring due to commuting or frequency, then that would be an issue.  But, 45 cents is the value of less than a minute of my time.  If it takes longer than that to resolve the issue, I'm actually wasting my time.

(Unlike moving some money of mine into a higher-yield account...more than worth it).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

astralentity

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 01:20:24 PM
Well, if it's worth it to you, okay, then.  Fighting over a single 45 cent toll isn't worth it in my book.

If it was recurring due to commuting or frequency, then that would be an issue.  But, 45 cents is the value of less than a minute of my time.  If it takes longer than that to resolve the issue, I'm actually wasting my time.

(Unlike moving some money of mine into a higher-yield account...more than worth it).

NYSBA charged my EZPass for the pay by plate rate of $2 even though I have the tag in the car.  I emailed EZPass about it and they corrected it to the proper EZPass amount of $1.55

kalvado

I had a situation when NYSTA wanted $13 in tolls - and it took $20 in postage to get it resolved, plus time, plus... A matter of principle, if you will - I would make THEM spend time on it as well, and make bullshit not worth it. Otherwise 45 cents here, 15 bucks there, and a violation on top since you have a history of problems...

astralentity

Quote from: kalvado on July 01, 2022, 01:40:32 PM

I had a situation when NYSTA wanted $13 in tolls - and it took $20 in postage to get it resolved, plus time, plus... A matter of principle, if you will - I would make THEM spend time on it as well, and make bullshit not worth it. Otherwise 45 cents here, 15 bucks there, and a violation on top since you have a history of problems...

Or my favorite lately with the tags on the work account where it would only read at the exit causing max charge for the rate class.  Did also have the one off where the tag said exit 26 yet the truck GPS showed it getting off 25A.

kalvado

Quote from: astralentity on July 01, 2022, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: kalvado on July 01, 2022, 01:40:32 PM

Or my favorite lately with the tags on the work account where it would only read at the exit causing max charge for the rate class.  Did also have the one off where the tag said exit 26 yet the truck GPS showed it getting off 25A.
25A/26 is a deliberately created  problem.
Full charge on single read is an easy to create one - and with open road readers it is impossible to catch until the bill shows up. So there is a real need to keep them honest 

Rothman

Then again, I've never had an issue with E-ZPass and I check my statements.

You guys must be wrapping your tag in foil or something. :D

Making E-ZPass related staff "work" really doesn't do anything.  The salaries and hours are constants.

cl94

One little annoyance I have with the new system is that getting off at 25A for gas/food no longer results in a discounted toll for using 25A. A bigger issue others have noticed is that, if you enter at 25A and stop at the Guilderland Service Area, a stay of more than a few minutes will result in the system thinking you exited and reentered.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I've had a couple issues to my memory since things went AET.  The first was them processing the mainline gantries around Albany too early, resulting in a free ride between 24-25A even though I should have been charged.  The second was them charging me twice for 45-44; they credited the duplicate charge when I pointed it out.

Quote from: cl94 on July 01, 2022, 06:45:04 PM
One little annoyance I have with the new system is that getting off at 25A for gas/food no longer results in a discounted toll for using 25A. A bigger issue others have noticed is that, if you enter at 25A and stop at the Guilderland Service Area, a stay of more than a few minutes will result in the system thinking you exited and reentered.
That would seem to go against the terms of the agreement that allowed for the use of federal funds to widen the Thruway rather than build the rest of I-88.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bluecountry

Hey, they did it!  Had not been on the LIE in Suffolk Co since the fall, nice to see they have done the much needed repaving! :clap:

webny99

There's been a bunch of paving projects east of Rochester recently... NY 104 in Ontario, NY 350 in Walworth, NY 286 and Blossom Rd (finally!), plus seemingly the entire Can of Worms interchange, although that's still in progress.

astralentity

I see some desperately needed repaving getting done on I-890 as well.  The Northway between 15 and 17 is getting some resurfacing done too.

cl94

Quote from: astralentity on July 05, 2022, 11:37:54 AM
I see some desperately needed repaving getting done on I-890 as well.  The Northway between 15 and 17 is getting some resurfacing done too.

890 is getting a full reconstruction west of downtown. That has barely been touched since it was built close to 50 years ago, so yes, it is sorely needed. Now get Region 1 to do a full-depth reconstruction on the 7 expressway- that has gotten quite rough in places.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

astralentity

Quote from: cl94 on July 05, 2022, 11:49:38 AM
Quote from: astralentity on July 05, 2022, 11:37:54 AM

890 is getting a full reconstruction west of downtown. That has barely been touched since it was built close to 50 years ago, so yes, it is sorely needed. Now get Region 1 to do a full-depth reconstruction on the 7 expressway- that has gotten quite rough in places.

Thank God.  That was getting as bad as I-88.  The last time I remember anything getting done west of exit 2 was when 890 was extended to connect with 5.

Jim

They seem to be digging a lot more than I'd expect in the median on I-890 near its western end.  Better drainage?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cl94

Quote from: Jim on July 05, 2022, 12:38:23 PM
They seem to be digging a lot more than I'd expect in the median on I-890 near its western end.  Better drainage?

Yeah, new drainage is a part of the work.

astralentity

Wonderful little twist on the EZPass saga.... I just got a Pay by Plate invoice in the mail for my trip down to Newburgh in May.  Strange because I have been having good reads lately, and I also have the plate on my EZPass account.  The plate on the invoice matches.  Oh well, I put it through to my account.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 02:27:43 PM
Then again, I've never had an issue with E-ZPass and I check my statements.

You guys must be wrapping your tag in foil or something. :D
Well, I've told you people in the past that the E-Z Pass toll plazas have missed my plate a few times when I drive through them. So I'd hold off on the tin foil accusations for now.

In the meantime, onto another subject; I'm still looking for info on the former southbound RIRO ramps on the New England Thruway to Split Rock Road in the vicinity of Pelham Manor.
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=15&lat=40.909351&lon=-73.848342

cl94

Speaking of toll issues, NYSTA hasn't been giving the Grand Island resident discount, instead charging them the cash rate of $1.24.

Edit: toll rate

astralentity

I see Region 9 is going all out with I-88 resurfacing.  Tons of brand new surface in Cobleskill and Schoharie.  I'm guessing they're going to resurface other areas alongside the rebuild of the section between Oneonta and Richmondville?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.