News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2023, 09:42:42 PM
Looks like this is the week for members of the state legislature to propose bills that are of interest to roadgeeks.

https://auburnpub.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/70-mph-ny-senator-eyes-higher-speed-limit-on-thruway-state-highways/article_90ee55b1-41a6-5a26-a6ab-85f22c9eb0ee.html
Since this came up in the recent roadwaywiz webinar on Buffalo, I should mention that despite the unusually large amount of press coverage this time, that did not translate into actual enthusiasm from the legislature and it didn't get out of committee in either chamber:-( I think there's still a theoretical chance next year when the legislature resumes (aside from the special session the Assembly is doing right now to finish a few things leftover this year), but if it doesn't go to the governor then, it would die and need to be reintroduced.

Meanwhile, AAA is speaking out against the bill.

It's too bad.  I thought it had an actual chance this time, yet it went no further than past efforts.

(personal opinion)

On another note, another bill I was really hoping to see get signed into law did actually pass both chambers at the last second, but the most recent status on it is "returned to Senate", so it looks like it won't go to Hochul to be signed either.  I guess my track record with legislative bills is much the same as my Mom's record with sports teams: rooting for it causes it to lose/fail.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on June 20, 2023, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2023, 09:42:42 PM
Looks like this is the week for members of the state legislature to propose bills that are of interest to roadgeeks.

https://auburnpub.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/70-mph-ny-senator-eyes-higher-speed-limit-on-thruway-state-highways/article_90ee55b1-41a6-5a26-a6ab-85f22c9eb0ee.html
Since this came up in the recent roadwaywiz webinar on Buffalo, I should mention that despite the unusually large amount of press coverage this time, that did not translate into actual enthusiasm from the legislature and it didn't get out of committee in either chamber:-( I think there's still a theoretical chance next year when the legislature resumes (aside from the special session the Assembly is doing right now to finish a few things leftover this year), but if it doesn't go to the governor then, it would die and need to be reintroduced.

Meanwhile, AAA is speaking out against the bill.

It's too bad.  I thought it had an actual chance this time, yet it went no further than past efforts.

(personal opinion)

On another note, another bill I was really hoping to see get signed into law did actually pass both chambers at the last second, but the most recent status on it is "returned to Senate", so it looks like it won't go to Hochul to be signed either.  I guess my track record with legislative bills is much the same as my Mom's record with sports teams: rooting for it causes it to lose/fail.
Judging from my travels on the Thruway, it's not like the enforced speed limit will change with another 5-15 on the posted limit.

vdeane

^ I was hoping for a limit increase so that I could start driving exactly the speed limit everywhere without affecting my travel time significantly on the interstates.  Given the number of municipalities in the US and Canada that strictly enforce thing, pushes for more speed cameras (successful in the case of work zones and school zones, not so much on the MTA crossings) both here and elsewhere, etc., that's the only consistent way to do things.  Any other policy (such as my long-standing "5 over on surface roads, 7 over on freeways") would just need a gazillion exceptions at this point (the entire country of Canada is already such an exception, largely because of speed cameras in Québec and Edmonton, but also because I never came up with a metric equivalent I was happy with and wasn't a greater ticket risk than my existing driving in NY).

Plus, why should NY have the lowest speed limits for a state its size in the contiguous US?

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

astralentity

I've been saying this needs to happen since other states east of the Mississippi started raising their limits to 70 or 75.  Honestly I'm comfortable with 78 on most roadways outside of NY, and I typically do 72-75 in 65 mph zones in NY.

On a similar note, I get run over in 55 mph zones doing 60, ESPECIALLY work zones.

EDIT:  Any change to the state speed limit codified in the chapter laws should ABSOLUTELY include I-495 from like MM 40 east.

Rothman

In other news, new signage has gone up with pictorial no truck shields at I-81 NB/370/Onondaga Lake Parkway/Old Liverpool Road in Syracuse.  The ramps remain closed, however, probably due to worries about more bridge hits at this point.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2023, 09:17:32 AM
In other news, new signage has gone up with pictorial no truck shields at I-81 NB/370/Onondaga Lake Parkway/Old Liverpool Road in Syracuse.  The ramps remain closed, however, probably due to worries about more bridge hits at this point.

Completing a bridge repair project on the ramp bridges over the railroad is why it's closed.  I'd noticed it last month when I was in town, and this local news article confirmed it.

seicer

I was there two days ago flying over and hoping to see a bridge strike.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2023, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2023, 09:17:32 AM

Completing a bridge repair project on the ramp bridges over the railroad is why it's closed.  I'd noticed it last month when I was in town, and this local news article confirmed it.

Yes, the project did cause the ramps to be closed, that's true.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on June 20, 2023, 09:06:39 PMMeanwhile, AAA is speaking out against the bill.

Note that AAA still hasn't gotten past: "Drivers often travel faster than posted speed limits, but when officials raise limits to match travel speeds, people still go faster."  Ah, no.  Debunked eons ago.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vdeane

^ That belief is especially prevalent in the northeast, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a major contributor to why we're still only 65 (it doesn't help that a lot of people are convinced that raising the speed limit on rural interstates will make people go faster on urban interstates with lower speed limits and even local roads).

kalvado

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 22, 2023, 12:56:23 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 20, 2023, 09:06:39 PMMeanwhile, AAA is speaking out against the bill.

Note that AAA still hasn't gotten past: "Drivers often travel faster than posted speed limits, but when officials raise limits to match travel speeds, people still go faster."  Ah, no.  Debunked eons ago.
Well, maybe there is some truth in that.
My nearest interstate has a speed limit of 65, typical free flow of 75-80, and was flowing 90-95 in the early covid days with no enforcement.
I suspect that once speed limit goes up by 5 MPH, so would "+15" speed convention with speed limits increased up to +15. 

elsmere241

When I-95 in Delaware went from 55 to 65, I started paying more attention to my speed, trying to keep it under 75.  Before, it seemed like the speed limit was ignored by everyone.

Plutonic Panda

QuoteA 2019 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study found that rising speed limits have cost nearly 37,000 lives over 25 years. AAA and IIHS urge policymakers to factor in this danger when considering speed limit changes.

So ridiculous. Those people just didn't know how to drive. We need to eliminate speed limits on most interstates and increase requirements to get a license and enforce laws like staying out of the passing lane and reckless/aggressive driving which is what causes a lot of accidents.

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on June 22, 2023, 03:09:28 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on June 22, 2023, 12:56:23 PM

Well, maybe there is some truth in that.
My nearest interstate has a speed limit of 65, typical free flow of 75-80, and was flowing 90-95 in the early covid days with no enforcement.
I suspect that once speed limit goes up by 5 MPH, so would "+15" speed convention with speed limits increased up to +15. 

That sounds like an enforcement issue, not an issue with 70 mph limits.  A higher legal limit coupled with stricter enforcement would be fine by me.  Plus my understanding is that this wouldn't be an automatic increase, rather subject to DOT study and discretion, so who knows if said interstate would even get an increase.  Note the following:
However, the commissioner of the
department of transportation may establish a maximum speed limit of  not
more than [sixty-five] SEVENTY miles per hour on any state roadway which
meets department criteria for such maximum speed.
May, not shall.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the 65 zones in denser areas would stay 65 rather than go 70 if something like this ever became law.  When PA went 70, only the PTC did a blanket increase; PennDOT was much more selective.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on June 22, 2023, 09:57:18 PM
That sounds like an enforcement issue, not an issue with 70 mph limits.  A higher legal limit coupled with stricter enforcement would be fine by me. 
And, if you will, if nothing would change on the road - why bother?
Enforcement practices are loose, and yes, there are reasons for that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on June 23, 2023, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 22, 2023, 09:57:18 PM
That sounds like an enforcement issue, not an issue with 70 mph limits.  A higher legal limit coupled with stricter enforcement would be fine by me. 
And, if you will, if nothing would change on the road - why bother?
Enforcement practices are loose, and yes, there are reasons for that.

The 10% or so of drivers sticking to the speed limit can result in congestion. If those 10% stick to the new speed limit instead, the "one driver driving slowly causes congestion before rush hour" issue is less likely to happen.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bluecountry

When did the Hutch switch exits to miles based; and when will the Meritt?

The Ghostbuster

The Hutchinson River Parkway converted to mileage-based exits in 2021. As for the CT 15 Merritt Parkway, Wikipedia says it will happen in 2025, but when it actually happens is anyone's guess. I think the Connecticut Department of Transportation should have implemented mileage-based exits statewide in a much faster fashion. The reason why it is happening so slowly is likely because Connecticut is converting their exit numbers reluctantly.

SignBridge

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 26, 2023, 01:42:55 PM
The Hutchinson River Parkway converted to mileage-based exits in 2021. As for the CT 15 Merritt Parkway, Wikipedia says it will happen in 2025, but when it actually happens is anyone's guess. I think the Connecticut Department of Transportation should have implemented mileage-based exits statewide in a much faster fashion. The reason why it is happening so slowly is likely because Connecticut is converting their exit numbers reluctantly.

As is New York.

astralentity

Quote from: SignBridge on June 26, 2023, 07:56:16 PM

As is New York.

I can't wait for that fight discussion between DOT, NYSTA, and FHWA.

kalvado

Quote from: astralentity on June 27, 2023, 07:12:32 AM

As is New York.

NYSTA: Either fund it or get lost
FHWA: 0_o

astralentity

Quote from: kalvado on June 27, 2023, 07:44:36 AM

As is New York.

:-D

Either way, the Thruway can't have its own set of numbers and expect to remain compliant.

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on June 27, 2023, 08:03:38 AM

As is New York.

Either way, the Thruway can't have its own set of numbers and expect to remain compliant.
So?  No consequences can be exerted on NYSTA.

astralentity

Quote from: Rothman on June 27, 2023, 11:56:01 AM

As is New York.

I'm guessing its "NYSTA can do whatever it wants and to heck with FHWA and NYSDOT"?

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on June 27, 2023, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 27, 2023, 11:56:01 AM

As is New York.

I'm guessing its "NYSTA can do whatever it wants and to heck with FHWA and NYSDOT"?

Well, yes.  NYSTA is a public authority, a rogue entity that exists outside of State government, with the exception of Governor recommendations for leadership appointments.  Although it may receive pennies in federal funding through NYSDOT for certain, specific tasks (e.g., striping and bridges over the Thruway), the fact of the matter is federal and state funding are not large parts of their available funding, the bulk of which is toll revenues.

So, FHWA and NYSDOT don't have any pull over them.

FHWA: "You're non-compliant with the MUTCD!"
NYSTA: "So?"
FHWA: "You have to be compliant!"
NYSTA: "Or what?"
FHWA: "..."
FHWA: "We'll pull your federal funding...?"
NYSTA: BWAAAAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!  Go pound sand.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.