News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Not totally a road project, but there was a minor glitch with replacement project for rail trail bridge over NY85.
Bridge did sag a little bit while concrete deck was getting poured

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on July 12, 2023, 05:10:24 PM
Not totally a road project, but there was a minor glitch with replacement project for rail trail bridge over NY85.

Where'd you get the photo?

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2023, 06:20:50 PM

Where'd you get the photo?
This one is on a front page of TU:
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/construction-albany-county-rail-trail-bridge-18197215.php?IPID=Times-Union-HP-spotlight

machias

Very similar to what happened on the original pedestrian bridge over NY 49 Utica-Rome Expressway in Marcy back in 2002.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_49

SignBridge

Ya think somebody screwed up?

02 Park Ave

Quote from: Jim on July 12, 2023, 12:55:11 PM
If it was on I-95 in South Carolina, it probably wouldn't even warrant a "rough road" warning sign.

I drove that section several years back and enjoyed it, but it does seem unlikely to be a top priority to get it reopened end-to-end any time soon.

What priority it does have is because it provides alternate access to the Washington Gate at West Point.
C-o-H

cockroachking

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 12, 2023, 10:18:20 PM
If it was on I-95 in South Carolina, it probably wouldn't even warrant a "rough road" warning sign.

I drove that section several years back and enjoyed it, but it does seem unlikely to be a top priority to get it reopened end-to-end any time soon.

What priority it does have is because it provides alternate access to the Washington Gate at West Point.
The 5 people a day that actually use it to get from the southeast part of Cornwall-on-Hudson to the Washington Gate can drive the extra 5 minutes on US-9W when it reopens.

Even taking all 1446 cars per day into account, other roads that have 10x or more traffic and longer detours due to a lack of redundancy should and will be prioritized by NYSDOT.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: cockroachking on July 13, 2023, 03:57:18 PM

The 5 people a day that actually use it to get from the southeast part of Cornwall-on-Hudson to the Washington Gate can drive the extra 5 minutes on US-9W when it reopens.

Even taking all 1446 cars per day into account, other roads that have 10x or more traffic and longer detours due to a lack of redundancy should and will be prioritized by NYSDOT.

Tell it to the Army!
C-o-H

Rothman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 13, 2023, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on July 13, 2023, 03:57:18 PM

Tell it to the Army!
Let us know when the Army is getting in the way of NYSDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Speaking from my own experience visiting or passing through West Point (I would often stay at the inn on base while traveling to Vermont), not rebuilding Storm King Hwy would be inconsequential to the Army.  The majority of traffic to/from base uses the two southern gates.  The main purpose of the Washington gate is for those who live in base housing (which largely is near that gate) to get to 9W to get to/from Newburgh.  From the 218/Mountain Rd intersection to the Washington gate is roughly 6-7 miles and 12 minutes via Mountain Rd to 9W.  Because of how curvy and slow most of Stork King Hwy was, drivers will lose AT MOST 3-4 minutes.

Roadgeek Adam

293 would be considered the more important road if it was washed out. That said, my bet is NYSDOT rebuilds.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

02 Park Ave

From what I understand they want redundancy.

With Highland Falls a disaster area the Thayer Gate is of no use.  Both the Washington and Stony Lonesome Gates are accessible from 9W but that was shut down.  While 293 would provide access, in the aftermath of this storm it couldn't be used because US 6 was closed on its opposite end. If 218 hadn't bee damaged it would have been the access route to the post.

Personally, from the pictures I've seen, I doubt that 218 can be rebuilt.  But with a Can Do attitude, ...
C-o-H

Rothman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 13, 2023, 10:03:52 PM
From what I understand they want redundancy.

With Highland Falls a disaster area the Thayer Gate is of no use.  Both the Washington and Stony Lonesome Gates are accessible from 9W but that was shut down.  While 293 would provide access, in the aftermath of this storm it couldn't be used because US 6 was closed on its opposite end. If 218 hadn't bee damaged it would have been the access route to the post.

Personally, from the pictures I've seen, I doubt that 218 can be rebuilt.  But with a Can Do attitude, ...
Please provide some sort of evidence that the Army has actually stated a position on the matter, rather than just your speculation.

02 Park Ave

It is not my speculation it is a rumor I had heard earlier this week.  As I have stated I doubt if it can be rebuilt.

Also, Mountain Road is currently closed.
C-o-H

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/hXWqWmHJUvP39APF8
Interesting way to inform motorists that NY 440 South is to become NJ 440.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

That is kind of cool, but I doubt if most drivers even notice the difference in the route shields.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on July 16, 2023, 08:57:50 PM
That is kind of cool, but I doubt if most drivers even notice the difference in the route shields.

I wonder why the black border NJ shield though. NY, since the MUTCD forbade the use of text, has used border less shields on their own routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Evidently, the flooding was responsible for an accident on NY 27 at the CR 17 interchange;
https://longisland.news12.com/amp/suffolk-pd-police-officer-injured-in-sunrise-highway-crash
I want to know about places like Coram and Middle Island, though. And I wouldn't be surprised if NY 112 north of I-495 in Medford was back to its old ways.

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2023, 11:51:16 PM

I wonder why the black border NJ shield though. NY, since the MUTCD forbade the use of text, has used border less shields on their own routes.
Maybe NJDOT provided the shield?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

I thought NJ always put black border markers on the guide signs outside of the NJ Turnpike. Probably NYSDOT trying to make the marker look as NJ typical as possible.

ran4sh

The MUTCD has never "forbade the use of text"...
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

machias

Quote from: ran4sh on July 18, 2023, 02:51:57 PM
The MUTCD has never "forbade the use of text"...

I was just scanning the MUTCD to see if there was something I missed there as well and I couldn't find any reference to it.

Off topic but I've always thought post interchange distance signs should be all text and the markers should just appear on the interchange guide signs (but still optionally)

storm2k

Quote from: machias on July 18, 2023, 01:30:43 PM

I thought NJ always put black border markers on the guide signs outside of the NJ Turnpike. Probably NYSDOT trying to make the marker look as NJ typical as possible.

Traditionally NJDOT did but the MUTCD has made the rules about contrast more stringent and they've stopped doing that. All newer signs from the last 2-3 years do not have the black backplates anymore.

CtrlAltDel

I was reading the Interstate Facts of the Day, you know, like you do, and I came across this entry for July 5:

QuoteCrossing Allen Creek in Rochester, New York, I-490 is carried across a 75 to 80-foot section of a structure that was built in 1905 for the Rochester to Syracuse interurban railroad.  The twin-cell concrete rigid frame structure with an arch top was built to look like stone.  In 1956/1957 when that section of the Interstate was built in Rochester, traffic on one side of the Interstate was carried on this 1905 structure, with the other side carried on a new concrete structure.  In 1991, the structure was lengthened to accommodate a widened Interstate, but the 1905 structure remains in use.

I've been looking for this bridge on Google Maps and elsewhere, and while I've found a lot of interesting information on I-490, the Rochester and Syracuse Railroad, and the Erie Canal, I cannot for the life of me locate this bridge. Does anyone know where it might be?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kalvado

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 01, 2023, 03:38:13 PM
I was reading the Interstate Facts of the Day, you know, like you do, and I came across this entry for July 5:

QuoteCrossing Allen Creek in Rochester, New York, I-490 is carried across a 75 to 80-foot section of a structure that was built in 1905 for the Rochester to Syracuse interurban railroad.  The twin-cell concrete rigid frame structure with an arch top was built to look like stone.  In 1956/1957 when that section of the Interstate was built in Rochester, traffic on one side of the Interstate was carried on this 1905 structure, with the other side carried on a new concrete structure.  In 1991, the structure was lengthened to accommodate a widened Interstate, but the 1905 structure remains in use.

I've been looking for this bridge on Google Maps and elsewhere, and while I've found a lot of interesting information on I-490, the Rochester and Syracuse Railroad, and the Erie Canal, I cannot for the life of me locate this bridge. Does anyone know where it might be?
must be this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1303559,-77.526911,18.71z?entry=ttu
over here: https://www.dot.ny.gov/main/bridgedata
you need Monroe county, on the first page it's BIN 1048880, Year Built: 1900; Year Reconstructed: 2001

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.