News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on September 12, 2023, 09:15:31 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 12, 2023, 08:14:54 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 09:12:05 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 11, 2023, 08:25:23 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 06:28:36 PM
Rather than mimic 3 spans of different heights, they could have done something like a trapezoid that wouldn't buckle.
I suspect this is the problem with engineers' perception of structural FEA. There was a pretty high profile (as in billions lost) similar case in Boeing 787 program.
And I am afraid even to think of how many things end up deep into their safety margins in similar scenarios.
Engineers are responsible for structural feasibility. The structural engineers should have been the ones to decide design.
Well, the buck (I mean DA) stops at PE stamp on the design. Those working for the firm without PE doing actual FEA and design also didn't do well.
Overall, I am not going to apportion the responsibility - there is always many things to consider and multiple people to blame. But I hope you're not going to deny responsibility of design team?

You are missing the fact that the design is done by engineers.
Talking about engineers... there had been a great tradition of an engineer standing under the newly built bridge...

vdeane

The potential concepts for the Troy-Menands Bridge alignment have been posted to the study website.  Note that the concepts are just of the bridge alignment; exact details of how it would tie in on each side are beyond the scope of this study and what is shown is just placeholders, although reducing the footprint of the I-787/NY 378 interchange is a goal.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/troymenandsbridge/reports
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

All 9 of the Concept Corridor alternatives have the Interstate 787/NY 378 interchange being converted into a diamond interchange. I wonder if the ramp terminals of the converted interchange will have stop signs, signals, or roundabouts? Which one would be most likely?

froggie

^ Given traffic volumes, I think it's safe to say that stop signs aren't even in the picture.

seicer

That's interesting - aren't there queueing problems going to and from Troy that make a diamond configuration an issue with backups? Or were the backups because of the mess of intersections east of the river?

vdeane

The backups are due to the intersections east of the river, especially with all the traffic trying to get to HVCC and then trying to cut the corner down Morrison instead of heading up to US 4.  Even trucks occasionally try to do that, only to get stuck because there isn't enough turning radius for them at that intersection.

As for the I-787/NY 378 interchange, do note that the diamond is only a placeholder.  The actual interchange could be a SPUI, DDI, or something completely different (and could well be affected by the findings of the related I-787 study).  They just needed to put something there to have a rendering.  The point of the study is mainly to engage stakeholders and the public and document feedback and issues relating to the bridge alignment concepts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

They need to do something for 378 west to 787 south. That is a heavy movement; the corresponding N-E is a direct right turn under any scenario.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2023, 01:56:10 AM
They need to do something for 378 west to 787 south. That is a heavy movement; the corresponding N-E is a direct right turn under any scenario.
So, coming from Troy?  Yep, definitely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8ZXs1kn1K2pqbazg9
Didn't know that the Henry Hudson Parkway had its own shield.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cu2010

All of the NYC parkways do now.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

dgolub

Quote from: cu2010 on October 18, 2023, 07:44:04 PM

In theory.  In practice, there are very few signs up, so for many of the parkways, we don't know what the new signs look like.

vdeane

Quote from: dgolub on October 21, 2023, 07:58:27 AM

In theory.  In practice, there are very few signs up, so for many of the parkways, we don't know what the new signs look like.
Didn't someone post a link to a page with all the shields to one of the Facebook groups a while back?  Unfortunately I can't find it at the moment, but I remember using it to make the shields for my site (minus the Belt, which still uses one I found elsewhere (I presume contract plans posted to a Facebook group); I did make the other and I have a note to compare and potentially switch should a shield ever appear in the wild to confirm which one is right).

02 Park Ave

The Storm King Highway portion of NY Route 218 is now listed on Google Maps as being closed until next July.

The road was severely damaged in a bad storm in June.
C-o-H

Rothman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 06, 2023, 02:56:22 PM
The Storm King Highway portion of NY Route 218 is now listed on Google Maps as being closed until next July.

The road was severely damaged in a bad storm in June.
Closes every winter season.

Google Maps used to have a glitch where if you wanted to visit an overlook while the road was closed, the route would have you swim across the Hudson.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

Quote from: dgolub on October 21, 2023, 07:58:27 AM

Some are def signed more than others. The Jackie Robinson Pkwy has several shields up. There's at least one on the KWV Pkwy on Staten Island. There are some of the newer ones on the Grand Central, replacing the old oval shield it was unique for having. Here's one for the Bronx River.

So they are out there. They're just really haphazardly out there. I think the reason is that these shields are a NYCDOT thing and not a NYSDOT thing so it's up tot the city to get them posted. The state just posts their standard BGS's with the parkway names on them.

74/171FAN

QuoteGoogle Maps used to have a glitch where if you wanted to visit an overlook while the road was closed, the route would have you swim across the Hudson.

I am sure our favorite bridge selfie girl would consider doing that.   ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

crispy93

Are speed bumps/humps legal in NYS? The town of East Fishkill opened a new road to service the new Amazon warehouse. It is a signed route to I 84 and connects Lime Kiln Rd (CR 27) and NY 52. But despite it being a truck route, it's got speed bumps and NO ENGINE BRAKE signs. It's a road through an abandoned IBM complex, why is traffic calming needed here?

East Fishkill also lowered the speed limit on Lake Walton Rd (from 40 to 35) without the DOT, they just passed an ordinance which I'm pretty sure isn't legal.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

Rothman

Quote from: crispy93 on November 12, 2023, 11:38:04 AM
Are speed bumps/humps legal in NYS? The town of East Fishkill opened a new road to service the new Amazon warehouse. It is a signed route to I 84 and connects Lime Kiln Rd (CR 27) and NY 52. But despite it being a truck route, it's got speed bumps and NO ENGINE BRAKE signs. It's a road through an abandoned IBM complex, why is traffic calming needed here?

East Fishkill also lowered the speed limit on Lake Walton Rd (from 40 to 35) without the DOT, they just passed an ordinance which I'm pretty sure isn't legal.

Yep, humps are legal.  Rules apply dependent upon jurisdiction.  Sounds like the Town opened the doors for Amazon and then the neighborhood threw a fit.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on September 29, 2023, 12:59:06 PM
The potential concepts for the Troy-Menands Bridge alignment have been posted to the study website.  Note that the concepts are just of the bridge alignment; exact details of how it would tie in on each side are beyond the scope of this study and what is shown is just placeholders, although reducing the footprint of the I-787/NY 378 interchange is a goal.

Quoting my own post to note that the draft Troy-Menands Bridge PEL report and questionnaire are both online, as are updated renderings of the nine concepts that are easier to see.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 06:19:37 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/96206174878/permalink/10162179526174879/

https://wpdh.com/automated-speeding-tickets-begin-for-i-84-and-i-87-in-new-york/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Be careful now on some NY State roads.

Speed cameras are now going to be the enforcers on some NY Interstates.
Read more than the headlines -- thanks for forwarding clickbait.  FreewayJim is a haven for this crap. 

It's only for work zones, which has been the case for a whole lot of months now.

roadman65

Still they have construction constantly to warrant this.

Yes, Freeway Jim is the social media crap we discussed in another thread that is there for entertainment, but the technology is there and it's not whether if it's going to happen, but when.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vxspq2hDDx7JHJmAA
Back to Camelot, I often found this interchange ( both sign and ramp configuration to be most fascinating. Considering it's for an extension of NY 5 that will never be built, I find it interesting that NYSDOT kept alive part of old Route 5 to keep NY 174 tied into to relocated NY 5 so no orphaned Route here.

I'm just curious why NYSDOT abandoned extending Route 5 as a freeway to Auburn. Was it money, NIMBYs, or environmental concerns.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2023, 06:45:21 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 06:19:37 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/96206174878/permalink/10162179526174879/

https://wpdh.com/automated-speeding-tickets-begin-for-i-84-and-i-87-in-new-york/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Be careful now on some NY State roads.

Speed cameras are now going to be the enforcers on some NY Interstates.
Read more than the headlines -- thanks for forwarding clickbait.  FreewayJim is a haven for this crap. 

It's only for work zones, which has been the case for a whole lot of months now.
NY 104 in Rochester currently has camera enforcement in multiple work zones. They have a truck parked at each end of the zones with the equipment.

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 07:11:19 AM
Yes, Freeway Jim is the social media crap we discussed in another thread that is there for entertainment, but the technology is there and it's not whether if it's going to happen, but when.
They'd have to change the law first, so I think it's safe to say that we'd have plenty of warning.

roadman65

Quote from: vdeane on November 21, 2023, 12:53:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 07:11:19 AM
They'd have to change the law first, so I think it's safe to say that we'd have plenty of warning.

Obviously it's whatever. I'm not going to argue for trying to start a discussion.  I'm not the first user on here and I certainly won't be the last who shares what they think might be interesting that doesn't grab attention.

Just so happens that Rothman and his usual critiquing of users posting repeat posts got into this. If he said nothing it would be like another person pointing out the previous without sarcasm. 

Hey I make mistakes and I'm well enough to admit, but I don't have time to go through every post to see if someone else beat me to it.

As far as the project goes, I'm glad it's happening even though I think removing the viaduct is a bad move. I always like proposals put into action as new roads is the best part of roadding. I'm not going to sulk like some over I-74, I-99, and southern I-87 or the fact Breezewood will never have the proper interchange it should have.

I'm ready to move on from this and have moved on.  Yes this is old but new and it's one of many things out there that can be brought up for discussion.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.