News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In many places ramp end traffic signals usually are state installs, especially when the freeway is a state route.

In Florida we have no state installs as they dump signal responsibility to county and local road departments. Some of the smaller counties contract out signal maintenance to private companies due to the lack of need to have full time signal techs.  So all exit ramps on state roads are either municipal or county installs. That's why the Sunshine State don't have an official install because each county or city have their own way of erecting signals. Miami- Dade uses bare metal mast arms with horizontal mounted heads. Yet Orange County will use whatever the signal manufacturer is offering. Tampa Bay loves span wires and very few mast arms there. Those are a few of the variances, however at one time all 67 counties agreed on span wires between concrete poles despite different county politics.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheDon102

seicer

Solid updates! This was one of the more narrow parkways I've been on because of bridges like this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/oVa26Tw3AFqVMEPJ6

The Ghostbuster

Will Parkway Rd. be cul-de-saced, and this house located along the parkway be demolished as part of the plan?: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1558343,-73.8342378,3a,75y,68.71h,87.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1stp0-KguZ4JIZsNfC63Q_cg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dtp0-KguZ4JIZsNfC63Q_cg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D346.6874%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu. What about the Forgotten Way intersection and the right-in/right-out at the Ossining Public Works Department? I didn't see any of those addressed in the presentation.

cockroachking

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2023, 02:23:27 PM
Will Parkway Rd. be cul-de-saced, and this house located along the parkway be demolished as part of the plan? What about the Forgotten Way intersection and the right-in/right-out at the Ossining Public Works Department? I didn't see any of those addressed in the presentation.
I don't think they have gotten that far yet. This is just a study. That stuff will probably be addressed in final design.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2023, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2023, 09:00:26 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 28, 2023, 08:36:15 PM

As for that one gantry missing control cities because the other signs weren't replaced... it seems to me that, like pretty much any infrastructure features when a bridge is replaced, you should probably add them now, even if just at that one location, lest you become unable to add them later because the signs at the split are missing them.

I would agree if it was a mainline sign - as seen with Irondequoit being added to the new I-590 install - but it seems pointless to add control cities to post-gore signage when they're not on any of the mainline signs. I'm still hoping they could be added later, considering they seem to be big enough with the space currently being used for a ramp speed warning (I'll try to get a picture later this week).
I would think the split would be even more important to have the control cities, as that determines where people need to go to get on each direction.  Say they added Henrietta and Irondequoit as control cities on the main signs, but had none at the split.  Someone knowing they needed to go to Henrietta, but not which direction, would know to get off there, but then be lost at the actual split.  The reverse, while not ideal, is at least not too different from what things are like on 590 now.

Like I said, it's like a bridge project.  When you're replacing a bridge, if there are plans to add a sidewalk in an area, you add it, even if the connecting pieces on either side won't be built for a long while, because that's better than building the rest later only to find that you have to replace the bridge early or will be stuck with a sidewalk gap for decades.  Gantries are a limiting factor in that they're designed for specific sign sizes and you can't just go and change the size of the signs on them.

I don't see why they would remove the ramp speed warnings.  Those aren't placeholders for eventual control cities, they're just something NYSDOT now often includes.  They're also at the new sign on I-590 south at exit 2B, and will be on the new sign for I-390 north at exit 19 once it's installed.  The signs on I-87 south at exit 1 also have them, so it's not just a Region 4 thing.

Quote from: webny99 on November 29, 2023, 08:35:31 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2023, 09:40:31 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2023, 01:05:03 PM

Isn't signage at an interchange usually all replaced at once, or is that only during larger construction projects?

Yep, what vdeane said.  Not usually at all.  Job Order Contracts address flagged structures, rather than all structures within an interchange.

Larger construction projects -- entire interchange reconstructions -- are a rarity in NY, so sure, but don't expect them too often. :D

Recent replacements in the Rochester area seem to have been the exception, not the rule. I-390/I-490 was a large project, I-390/I-590 were replaced during adjacent Exit 16 reconstruction, and NY 590/NY 104 were all replaced at once about 8-10 years ago (which may have been part of a larger project, though I can't recall).
Those assorted signs on 590 and 104 were part of the ARRA signs, I believe.
Pictures of the new signs in question:

I-490 EB exit 21: https://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i490&state=NY&file=102_6378.JPG

I-590 SB exit 2B: https://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i590&state=NY&file=102_6357.JPG

I-87/Northway SB exit 1: https://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i87a&state=NY&file=102_6113.JPG (incidentally, the ramp speed to I-90 east was recently dropped; it used to be 45)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: TheDon102 on November 30, 2023, 08:48:52 PM
NYSDOT PowerPoint on the 'Modernization of Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway', - https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region8/projects/810355-Home/810355-Repository/BPP%20Scoping%20Report%20Public%20Workshop%20II%20Presentation%20(Includes%20Concepts).pdf
It's about time that this alleged "parkway" gets more interchanges and intersection eliminations. I like everything except the one with NY 100. Now all they have to do is eliminate more at-grade intersections on the Bronx River Parkway north of Sprain Brook Parkway, Taconic River Parkway south of Sprain Brook Parkway, and all remaining points north of the Westchester-Putnam County Line, Cross Westchester Parkway, and Saw Mill River Parkway.

Oh, and especially the Bear Mountain Parkway. Fill the gap and get rid of the intersections.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 05, 2023, 09:01:46 AM
NYSDOT PowerPoint on the 'Modernization of Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway', - https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region8/projects/810355-Home/810355-Repository/BPP%20Scoping%20Report%20Public%20Workshop%20II%20Presentation%20(Includes%20Concepts).pdf
It's about time that this alleged "parkway" gets more interchanges and intersection eliminations. I like everything except the one with NY 100. Now all they have to do is eliminate more intersection on the Bronx River Parkway north of Sprain Brook Parkway, Taconic River Parkway south of Sprain Brook Parkway, and all remaining points north of the Westchester-Putnam County Line, Cross Westchester Parkway, and Saw Mill River Parkway.

Oh, and especially the Bear Mountain Parkway. Fill the gap and get rid of the intersections.
Oh.  Is that all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

It's about time that this alleged "parkway" gets more interchanges and intersection eliminations. I like everything except the one with NY 100. Now all they have to do is eliminate more intersection on the Bronx River Parkway north of Sprain Brook Parkway, Taconic River Parkway south of Sprain Brook Parkway, and all remaining points north of the Westchester-Putnam County Line, Cross Westchester Parkway, and Saw Mill River Parkway.

Seems like a good start but the rest of what you said hopefully comes to fruition someday.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2023, 10:44:22 AM

Oh.  Is that all.
Any road that feels like a freeway should be. So I agree that Saw Mill should get finished. That's my one.

TheDon102

I dont think the bronx river (north of the split with the sprain), taconic parkway (south of the sprain) or Cross Westchester Parkway need to get full blown interchanges, the Saw Mill River Parkway on the other hand...yeah I think its time for a modernization of the saw mill too (removing all at grade intersections and replacing them with interchanges)

D-Dey65

Oh.  Is that all.
No, I just remembered that the Rye Playland Parkway could use some intersection replacements.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 05, 2023, 11:14:38 PM

Oh.  Is that all.
No, I just remembered that the Rye Playland Parkway could use some intersection replacements.
No it can't. Unless you're funding it.

D-Dey65

^^^
Yeah, I'll bet the people who live in the area love getting traffic from all over the country, not to mention the residents of one dead end street.

D-Dey65

Something else I feel I should bring up. I've always believed that the Cross County Parkway should be extended as it was originally planned to the Playland Parkway.  The trouble is, north and west of the New England Thruway you've got the Greenwood Union Cemetery and the Rye African-American Cemetery, both of which are historic, the latter of which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

There is no way you can connect those two roads without disturbing those cemeteries. There's no way you can even reconfigure the interchange between the Playland Parkway and New England Thruway without disturbing those cemeteries. Sure, you could double-deck the Cross County Parkway over I-95 and bring flyover ramps away from the existing interchange, but you'd have to bring the new ramps too close to the ones on "Old Route 1."

BTW, I'm sorry I can't add any links to show you what I'm talking about. My computer is still screwing up my ability to cut, copy, and paste text.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 03, 2023, 03:03:20 PM

I-590 SB exit 2B: https://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i590&state=NY&file=102_6357.JPG

This and the new APL at Exit 5 are two of the single biggest improvements I've seen in the Rochester area maybe ever for straight replacements. Regarding this one specifically:

1) switch from ground mounted to overhead is great, especially with the auxiliary lane here
2) location is much improved, old sign was around a slight curve and so far back you could hardly even see the gore
3) Exit 20 mph warning is very warranted given the tightness of the loop

Given the curve and the length of the auxiliary lane here, the cherry on top would be a separate "Exit Only" sign near the Allens Creek Rd overpass.

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on June 14, 2023, 09:51:22 PM
Are there any HAWKs outside of the Buffalo area?

Revisiting this topic as some random GSV browsing this evening turned up a HAWK signal on State St. (NY 434) by the hockey arena in downtown Binghamton.

Also curious about what became of the new mast arms that were put up last fall on NY 23/NY 205 by the Cooperstown All Star Village outside of Oneonta.

Rothman

There should be no new HAWKs in central NY for years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

steviep24

There's a new HAWK signal in downtown Rochester on E. Main.

Mergingtraffic

What's the website of the library of NYS DOT plans?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

SGwithADD

mariethefoxy

I just wanna say, I dont know when it was built, but the 2 lane in each direction divided highway Sound Ave (Truck 25/Suffolk County 48) is a godsend coming from the Ferry terminal, its so tedious getting stuck in that large line of cars coming off the ferry because you are guaranteed to get stuck behind old man rivers driving below the speed limit and they took away the passing zones over the years on the 1 lane in each direction sections.

SignBridge

Yeah that County Route 48 is a great alternative to NY 25. Don't know when it was built but it's been there over thirty years since I first used it in about 1991.

D-Dey65

If I recall my New York highway history, it was built in the early-1970's like a lot of Suffolk County divided highways were, but it was previously Suffolk County Road 27.

Speaking of road "improvements" in New York, I just learned that the anti-highway zealots of Upstate New York are winning their fight to cancel the plans to upgrade NY 17 into I-86.
https://hudsonvalleypost.com/controversy-over-route-17-widening-new-york-hudson-valley/

The Cross Bronx is also having lanes removed on the service roads.
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transportation/cross-bronx-expressway-connector-road-advances-150m-federal-grant
I could read the rest of it if the article didn't have that stupid paywall. But judging by that one delusional image, it doesn't look so good.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.