News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 26, 2024, 07:32:50 AM
Speaking of road "improvements" in New York, I just learned that the anti-highway zealots of Upstate New York and winning their fight to cancel the plans to upgrade NY 17 into I-86.
https://hudsonvalleypost.com/controversy-over-route-17-widening-new-york-hudson-valley/
That's a bit hyperbolic.  Yes, they're voicing their opinion against the widening (quite loudly, given the number of articles this past week), but NYSDOT hasn't even selected a preferred alternative to upgrade the segment from US 209 to the Thruway, much less definitively confirmed where or even if it would be widened.  And the upgrade to I-86 doesn't actually require widening.  Prior to the 17 Forward 86 Coalition pushing the issue, the plan was to upgrade the road to I-86 and afterwards consider whether to widen it.

That said, I am curious of the chances of the upgrade if the widening is sunk, since that seems to be the main driver right now.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Couldn't the Hale Eddy projects (and thus the upgrade to I-86) still be advanced independently of a widening south of Monticello?

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2024, 03:14:44 PM
Couldn't the Hale Eddy projects (and thus the upgrade to I-86) still be advanced independently of a widening south of Monticello?
All of the projects could (Hale Eddy, despite being the most visible piece, is just one of many, many things that need to be done).  That was my point.  But does the energy exist without the widening push?  The reason the whole thing stagnated in the first place was because NYSDOT can't afford to put too much money into "beyond preservation" projects ("beyond preservation" isn't just "something more than what's there"; renewal projects like major pavement rehabilitation and bridge replacements are beyond preservation as well), and that's still the case.  So, if the widening doesn't happen, there wouldn't be anything engineering-wise preventing the upgrade from proceeding, the question is, would the political will still be there?

As for Hale Eddy specifically, it will be interesting to see where it goes.  On the one hand, the presentation at the recent public meeting shows it as having a planned upgrade project.  On the other, it doesn't show up on the NYSDOT projects site under "in development" or even "future development", and every time Hochul brings up the upgrade, she only says Orange and Sullivan Counties, not Delaware (or Broome, for that matter).

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Is the name of the hospital being on the hospital sign specifically a New York thing?  It seems so to me.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219980234256702&set=a.10219980370460107)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

elsmere241

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 13, 2024, 12:27:58 PM
Is the name of the hospital being on the hospital sign specifically a New York thing?  It seems so to me.

We have them in Delaware, especially when there's more than one hospital at the freeway exit.

webny99

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 13, 2024, 12:30:37 PM
Is the name of the hospital being on the hospital sign specifically a New York thing?  It seems so to me.

We have them in Delaware, especially when there's more than one hospital at the freeway exit.

Meanwhile, this is not typical upstate, not even when there are multiple hospitals reached from a single exit. I-490 Exit 17 is one such example (signage is for Highland Hospital, but Goodman St is also the primary route to Strong from the northeast quadrant of the metro).

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2024, 04:43:42 PM

Meanwhile, this is not typical upstate, not even when there are multiple hospitals reached from a single exit. I-490 Exit 17 is one such example (signage is for Highland Hospital, but Goodman St is also the primary route to Strong from the northeast quadrant of the metro).
And to think I remember when the hospital signage there pointed straight for Genesee.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 13, 2024, 09:37:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2024, 04:43:42 PM

And to think I remember when the hospital signage there pointed straight for Genesee.

Wow! Not quite before my time considering I was born there, but I do not have any memory of it.

crispy93

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 26, 2024, 07:32:50 AM
Speaking of road "improvements" in New York, I just learned that the anti-highway zealots of Upstate New York and winning their fight to cancel the plans to upgrade NY 17 into I-86.
https://hudsonvalleypost.com/controversy-over-route-17-widening-new-york-hudson-valley/

The Cross Bronx is also having lanes removed on the service roads.
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transportation/cross-bronx-expressway-connector-road-advances-150m-federal-grant
I could read the rest of it if the article didn't have that stupid paywall. But judging by that one delusional image, it doesn't look so good.

Here's the Cross Bronx article, archived: https://archive.is/GwMxW

And anything from HudsonValleyPost is going to be clickbait, ChatGPT-level quality
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

The Ghostbuster

The Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road article is paywalled. I know the article is a few weeks old, but is there any way to provide what the article says without having to get a subscription to the Crain's New York Business website?

SignBridge

The link directly above your post works fine. No paywall.

TheDon102

roadman65

Am I correct that NYSDOT has released renderings for the proposed tunnel on Route 33 in Buffalo or is this old news?

Someone posted it on FB via a link to Local News in the Greater Buffalo Area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I'm going to guess the answer is  no.^^^^

Another Google Search Fluke or someone else anxious to be a journalist posting old articles that Google posts for whatever reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2024, 02:01:04 PM
Am I correct that NYSDOT has released renderings for the proposed tunnel on Route 33 in Buffalo or is this old news?

The article is from the 19th.  Just saw it yesterday.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/renderings-of-kensington-project-released/

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 22, 2024, 08:41:26 PM

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/renderings-of-kensington-project-released/

A+ on the video. It looks like almost the entire acceleration lane from Best St to 33 EB will be in the tunnel, which is a cool feature. Seeing this just makes it even more of a bummer that a tunnel wasn't an option in Syracuse.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2024, 10:26:12 PM

A+ on the video. It looks like almost the entire acceleration lane from Best St to 33 EB will be in the tunnel, which is a cool feature. Seeing this just makes it even more of a bummer that a tunnel wasn't an option in Syracuse.
Can you not see the significant main difference between the two projects?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2024, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2024, 10:26:12 PM

Can you not see the significant main difference between the two projects?

Yeah, of course I can. It's ultimately a result of I-81 being built as an elevated freeway instead of a depressed one.

The Ghostbuster

I would have liked to have a tunnel in Buffalo constructed that followed the former alignment of the unbuilt segment of the NY 33 freeway, connecting its existing western terminus to its previously proposed western terminus at Interstate 190's Exit 8. Alas, I realize that is as likely to happen as an Interstate 81 tunnel being constructed in Syracuse.

machias

But will NYSDOT finally number the interchanges on the 33 in Buffalo? There are more interchanges on NY 33 than on I-290.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 23, 2024, 01:33:38 PM
I would have liked to have a tunnel in Buffalo constructed that followed the former alignment of the unbuilt segment of the NY 33 freeway, connecting its existing western terminus to its previously proposed western terminus at Interstate 190's Exit 8. Alas, I realize that is as likely to happen as an Interstate 81 tunnel being constructed in Syracuse.

I would be opposed to that. The city doesn't have enough need for it. Traffic flows just fine on 33/954D. All they need to do is swap 33 and 954D's directions.

Keep in mind, this is a perfect solution to two problems: community improvement and freeway preservation. There are people who want 33 filled in entirely, the 198 torn out, etc. Buffalo will never have enough traffic to justify a freeway extension, but at least moving 33 onto 954D (Oak & Elm) to 190 would fix part of it, rather than have 33 die at 2 different points.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

seicer

https://www.route13ithaca.com/

"The City of Ithaca obtained a BUILD Grant to reimagine and redesign the Route 13 Corridor on the north side of the City. This project will analyze and design potential transportation improvements that would allow for the redevelopment of the City's waterfront and reconnection of the waterfront district to the neighborhoods and downtown area on the east side of the corridor.

This project will consider the Route 13 corridor between Fall Creek to the north to the Meadow/Fulton Split of Route 13 to the south."

This project affects a road that should be reconfigured to offer better connections between the Fall Creek neighborhood and Farmers Market, Stewart Park, and the emerging Waterfront district. The road as it is currently built has four lanes with full shoulders and turn lanes with limited access except at controlled intersections. An expressway was once proposed through the city decades ago, but that project is long dead - and this highway is a remnant of that development.

IMO, this road would be better served as a four-lane roadway with sidewalks and bike paths and new cross street connections between the two disconnected sides.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fX8YQYExnJrhdkgcA

cockroachking

NY-12E Realignment (Fall 2025 Completion):
NY-12E will be relocated from its existing bridge over the Black River in Brownville to a new bridge approximately 0.5 miles to the west. The existing bridge will be demolished, and the rest of the existing alignment in Brownville will revert to Jefferson County as an extension of CR-190.
Contract plans are here. Scheduled completion for the new bridge, and thus the reroute, is November 30, 2024 (slide 10). The demolition of the existing bridge and other work will be done after.

webny99

Thanks for sharing. This will be a minor inconvenience for residents of Brownville who will have to travel an additional mile or so to get to I-81. Is there any reason why a new bridge could not be built in the same location?

cockroachking

Due to the narrow right-of-way (no room for an adjacent temporary bridge), any replacement in the same location would result in a full closure during both demolition and construction, so there would basically be two years with no bridge at all. With building a bridge on a new alignment first, there will always be one bridge operational.

Also, the intersections at the north end of the existing bridge in Brownsville will become unsignalized once the new bridge is open, so that is a plus I would say.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.